Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yeah I've got those on my Yamaha, they work great! But the Honda has solid axles and no spool nubbins on the swingarm.

The obvious first step is to clean all the gunk off the bottom of the swingarm but I'm not sure that will solve it completely. I use the non-spool option to lift the Yamaha to remove the rear wheel or adjust chain slack and have never had that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Oh lol I didn’t put two and two together and thought it was the MT-07, not the 919 :o:

I’ve also seen some that bolt onto the end of the swing arm depending on your chain adjustment.

Edit: here

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 26, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

I *finally* put new tires on the Honda today, and learned a few things:
- the tire changer I bought was 100% worth the money but it also didn't eliminate the need for tire irons, the rear went on fine but the front is just too tight. I still scratched my wheels up a little. I need to get that part figured out before I buy a bike worth keeping shiny
- Remember to balance the wheel before you put it back on the bike, idiot
- The swingarm will slowly slide down my rear stand until it falls off. I got lucky and it came down on the kickstand but it's going to make maintenance extra annoying til I figure out a solution.

You can get tyre changing guards, they are bits of plastic with string attached that go on the rim, you fit the tyre and pull them off with the string. Use lots of lube obv.

A wheel chock and a small platform jack will make your life a lot less fraught without having to put more parts on the bike, with the bonus of now being able to take anyone's tyres off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can cut up a milk bottle and make your own rim guards too

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I've been putting off tightening the chain on the Bonneville, but today I fought the right-hand muffler off as is needed for that, and then learned I need a 27mm socket for the axle bolt and my biggest is a 24.

Better luck next week, chain.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Shiny new shock for the XSR700

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The $75 Moby sludged up like crazy at the beginning of spring and I just got around to loving with it.

After cleaning the sludge out of the carb, I decided to tackle the tank. I love mopeds but hate rusty tanks on them because I can’t take them off to shake them with abrasive inside.

Pressure washer, 100psi of air, brushes through the gas filler and petcock fitting all working together to knock chunks loose and drain them out the bottom.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Behold:

(Ignore the weeds, I’ve been spending all my free time on this :v:)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

T-Square posted:

Behold:

this is rad as gently caress

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T-Square posted:

Behold:

Mother of god

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A good bike appears!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

T-Square posted:

Behold:

Someone should take a copy this picture, slap it on the desk of HD's VP of marketing, and ask him if they'd like to get some of that money Ducati's been printing with the Scrambler.

Bike looks great, man

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

It's concise.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

Someone should take a copy this picture, slap it on the desk of HD's VP of marketing, and ask him if they'd like to get some of that money Ducati's been printing with the Scrambler.

Bike looks great, man

They can make it and then price it at 14k before parts catalogue.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

T-Square posted:

Behold:

What a beautiful piece of work! May I share it with some of my riding chums?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

What a beautiful piece of work! May I share it with some of my riding chums?

Sure, go for it! Thanks for the kind words, this is the first bike I’ve actually built :shobon:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

T-Square posted:

Sure, go for it! Thanks for the kind words, this is the first bike I’ve actually built :shobon:

It’s good.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my only complaint is the fork reflectors lol you killed it. the wheels are perfection on that bike

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Why doesn’t Harley make bikes like this though :confused: it’s your take on an XR750 street tracker, right? Did they do it before and no one bought them?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

right arm posted:

my only complaint is the fork reflectors lol you killed it. the wheels are perfection on that bike

Yeah those are stock forks and there will just be a reflector-shaped recess if I take them out so idk if I should or not lol. Hopefully one day it’ll get an R6 front end or something!

Toe Rag posted:

Why doesn’t Harley make bikes like this though :confused: it’s your take on an XR750 street tracker, right? Did they do it before and no one bought them?

Yeah pretty much. We have the Mama Tried Flat Out Friday here in Milwaukee and I love watching the Hooligan class and all those bikes. A friend’s uncle died and his mom sold his sporty to me for like $2,000 so I said gently caress it sure I’ll ride it then make a cool street tracker out of it

T-Square fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 2, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:hellyeah: it rules.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

HD made the XR1200 for a couple of years; it was a great bike so of course it didn't sell very well, Harley killed it, and now they're quasi-collector's items

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Back to the tenere carb.

I tested Vs throttle %. It runs good on idle and up to 1/4. The stuttering and dropping rpm is above 1/4 up to and including 100% throttle.

I removed the carb and checked needle positions. Both are on middle 3rd notch. The marking on the needles and notch is stock position according to the manual.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Supradog posted:

Back to the tenere carb.

I tested Vs throttle %. It runs good on idle and up to 1/4. The stuttering and dropping rpm is above 1/4 up to and including 100% throttle.

I removed the carb and checked needle positions. Both are on middle 3rd notch. The marking on the needles and notch is stock position according to the manual.

This is always basically the extent of my contribution to carb chart. Seems like you’re on the right track. I tend to shotgun parts at carbs though because needles and jets are relatively cheap.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It sounds to me like they're not getting enough fuel in the bowls and it's starving for more fuel once it gets beyond the pilot circuit, but I've never worked on one of these two-carbs-share-a-bowl deals. Could be the filter restricting it or the float height isn't correct.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Gorson posted:

It sounds to me like they're not getting enough fuel in the bowls and it's starving for more fuel once it gets beyond the pilot circuit, but I've never worked on one of these two-carbs-share-a-bowl deals. Could be the filter restricting it or the float height isn't correct.

Fair point. But can’t you tell if that’s true just if the stuttering is immediate when you roll on or not? If not, then no because it should have at least sufficient fuel in the bowls to make the initial roll on work?

Said another way, I always thought that the symptom of that kind of issue was that it was working OK and then it stops vs just never working OK.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

builds character posted:

Fair point. But can’t you tell if that’s true just if the stuttering is immediate when you roll on or not? If not, then no because it should have at least sufficient fuel in the bowls to make the initial roll on work?

Said another way, I always thought that the symptom of that kind of issue was that it was working OK and then it stops vs just never working OK.

Yeah not sure, I'm looking at that diagram and trying to understand the nuances of such a setup. I see what appears to be a sync screw, have they been synced?

If you're confident the carbs are baselined (factory settings, factory jet sizes, factory needles, float height correct) I'd look elsewhere.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Adjusted the primary needle one step towards lean, stuttering seems gone.
Going to take a test ride for it to hit operation temp properly, pluss test 100% throttle. Don't want to do extended test of that parked with an oil cooled engine that has no oil rad fan.

Edit: better, but not 100% gone. I can get stuttering above 1/2 throttle but not 100% consistent, plus a little popping on de acceleration.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 3, 2022

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
You could go down one size on the main jet, are your air filters clean though? No restrictions? Sounds like you almost have it anyway. Valves are ok, right? Checked them on the maintenance cycle? They can mask as a/f problems when they start going out of spec I feel, especially ones that tighten instead of loosen and don't fully close. So can a small timing chain jump too.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 3, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Air filter looks good, its a foam style one. but the age of it is unknown. it has foam oil, so it's not bone dry. I got a spare I can swap to.
I did the valves this winter when I got the cylinder honed.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Tightened the bonneville's chain today, and cleaned it while the peashooters were off because the chain's a huge pain in the rear end to clean with the mufflers on. FSM says to do this every 200 miles, hah- I'm doing the full chain clean-and-rinse twice a year at most.

Also noted some rust on the mirror stems already, this thing's only 2.5 years old and it lives under a carport 2 miles from the ocean, at this rate it's going to look like a 70's bonnie in no time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I fixed the KLX 140 clutch and confirmed it does wheelies in first again.
Also it was air filter cleaning day

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

And the tenere carb saga is over. Runs good on all throttle input.
Final days fiddling was to recheck float level which maybe was 2mm high and put the needle on the secondary carb also 1 notch towards lean. Also checked the carb sync that it engaged the secondary carb at the correct throttle input, it did.

So total tally of what actually needed to be done if I’d known what to do:
Both needles 1 notch towards lean, adjust float.

Well, now I know weird Yamaha dual carbs for thumpers and a little about carbs in general.

Then I’m up to 3 working bikes and I can finally start working on my 1989 Kawasaki gt550 and the sidecar.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For anyone keeping score, what he just did is successfully tune the most complicated, stupid and unnecessary carb design of the last forty years. poo poo's not hard, you just need patience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah those Yamaha “dual carb but not really dual carb because one of them is a tiny little carbuncle carb” setups are :psypop:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The Honda way of just putting two tiny identical carbs on a thumper, one per intake valve, was a much more palatable kind of diminishing gains insanity.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

And the tenere is still a 80s product. The loving main/only fuse blew as soon as I engaged the start motor to fire it up today for the weekend gravel brapp. I rode 60 miles and started it multiple times to check the carb settings yesterday. gently caress error checking electrics after work on a Friday. I tossed the luggage over on my 93 Honda nx250 and parked the tenere for the weekend.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

So despite having been replaced 2 years ago, the front brake fluid of the SV650 was already getting pretty nasty looking. So out with the old...

In with the new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

For anyone keeping score, what he just did is successfully tune the most complicated, stupid and unnecessary carb design of the last forty years. poo poo's not hard, you just need patience.

I don't see the benefits. Ignoring the added complexity (this is difficult) why would they do it this way over a single slightly larger carb? Is it cocaine?