Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

bigman.50grand posted:

Take the speaker outputs forum the HK and run them to the high level inputs on the sub. Then run the high level outs on the sub to your bookshelf speakers. Note that you'll need to tweak the pass filter on the sub to your liking.

Just wanted to follow up and say this worked easily enough! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enclosure from Serbia showed up much sooner than expected. I'm very pleased with the quality of the work.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
that's top notch - looks so good

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Thought this thread might get a kick out of my recent find. I saw somebody posting a garage sale on Facebook and in one of the images I saw an old stereo console. I messaged the guy asking for a couple photos of the back of the unit and he sent this:

Looks like tubes to me! I asked him to hold it for me but he said no, first come first serve. So I packed up and immediately drove over there, almost an hour, and picked it up brought it home. It weighed like ten thousand pounds and I almost died loading it into my truck, but I got it home.

It looks better than it is; it was full of mouse poo poo and dirt and most of the veneer was cracking and the legs were broken. Was there anything salvageable?

There was a Garrard turntable that was completely trashed and broken. There was an Ampex reel to reel unit that was completely corroded and gross inside -- but the tubes were original Telefunken and Amperex and look good:

The stereo itself was an enormous pain to remove, with the tuner and preamp as separate components sharing a single faceplate.

Looks like the tuner actually a Fisher, with original Fisher tubes:

I removed the shared faceplate and separated the tuner and the preamp, since I'm not really interested in the tuner.

The preamp is in good shape, and the tubes look good. A mix of RCA, Magnavox, and GE.

Then I checked out the speakers. They're 8" full range speakers, and some googling indicates they're actually JBL D216 or D260. The speaker boxes were actually mounted separately inside the console and are surprisingly well built, braced, and insulated:

I brought them inside and hooked them up to a small amp to test in the garage and they sound fantastic. Way, way better than I expected. These were a real surprise.

Finally, I pulled out the two monoblock amps.

One amp is all RCA tubes (which I'm assuming is original) and the other is Magnavox, GE and RCA.

They're Ampex 620s using 6V6 power tubes, only probably about 10W but more than enough for these speakers once I get them cleaned up and tested:

The wiring looks good but there's definitely leaky caps that need replacing, and probably everything could do with a check before I try turning anything on.

I don't have a variac either, so I'm gonna take the amps and the preamp along with all the tubes to a local guy here to go over them. I put the reel to reel up on craigslist and I'll probably try and sell the tuner too.

Not bad for a total investment of $50!

[edit] I forgot, it also had a microphone that I'm definitely going to try for work video calls.

ephori fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 4, 2022

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
That's an incredible find! There's only one caveat.... I'd be SUPER loving careful with that spray in insulation inside the speaker cabinet. There's a very solid possibility that there is Asbestos in it, depending on this unit's age.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mederlock posted:

That's an incredible find! There's only one caveat.... I'd be SUPER loving careful with that spray in insulation inside the speaker cabinet. There's a very solid possibility that there is Asbestos in it, depending on this unit's age.

Yikes, that’s scary. I appreciate the heads up, it never would’ve occurred to me. I wonder if it’s worth it to check if I never open them up again? There was no loose material or dust inside the speaker boxes and I only opened the one to check the make and model, so I think I’m probably alright.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
If it wasn't loose and breaking apart, I wouldn't worry too much. Just use some acoustically appropriate sealing product between the speakers and the box, and you're good. Maybe label the bottom of the speakers with a small note about the potential, too. Always good to give the next guy a heads up

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hi thread, I got these speakers yesterday, mostly because of the nice enclosures. Heavy as hell. I'm also suspecting these speakers all have pretty heavy magnets. As you can see, the non-replaced ones all have rotten foam. Is this easy to replace? And does anybody have any idea what brand these speakers may have been? There are no markings on them, just places where a label peeled off long ago.

And secondly, I know this may not qualify as vintage but it is discontinued anyway. I'm asking because I sort of gather the Ion was a decent turntable overall. But if so, what cart or needle do I get for it? I'm seeing ads for diamond, ruby and sapphire, all cheaply priced, I haven't a clue. Any advice there? Pics:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Hi thread, I got these speakers yesterday, mostly because of the nice enclosures. Heavy as hell. I'm also suspecting these speakers all have pretty heavy magnets. As you can see, the non-replaced ones all have rotten foam. Is this easy to replace? And does anybody have any idea what brand these speakers may have been? There are no markings on them, just places where a label peeled off long ago.

And secondly, I know this may not qualify as vintage but it is discontinued anyway. I'm asking because I sort of gather the Ion was a decent turntable overall. But if so, what cart or needle do I get for it? I'm seeing ads for diamond, ruby and sapphire, all cheaply priced, I haven't a clue. Any advice there? Pics:

There’s a boatload of 60s/early 70s speakers that look exactly like that. I don’t know if it’s a Henry Kloss design that others copied or if it’s just a universal 3 way design. Either way it might be hard to pinpoint the brand. Open them up maybe? What does the switch on the back look like?

Refoaming is easy. It might help to know the model but you should be able to measure and order foam.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

drat, I was hoping for more replies before I bought something else. I just picked up a cabinet full of Sony stuff, not very old, with speakers. The turntable is a Ps LX205. Haven't sorted it all out yet or even tested it. The speakers looked nice though.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, here are some better shots. I've only just now gotten it in the basement. This time I had the sense to pull the screens off the speakers before buying. Right offhand it seems dusty as hell but may be working. The cabinet is trashed but it does occur to me I can totally disassemble it and use the pieces as templates for plywood replacement, and all the hardware appears good.

If it all works, not too bad for $35. ED: I'm now reading that this is all cheap crap, but it's still probably not terrible.

ED: I've now connected the speakers, powered the system up. Everything powers up except the turntable. It spun once when I powered it up and now won't do anything. And the 5-CD changer opened up and let me remove the old CDs but now won't open. The speakers sound good but I'm not taking them through their paces yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 7, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Try to sell it for $36.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Try to sell it for $36.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

petit choux posted:

ED: I've now connected the speakers, powered the system up. Everything powers up except the turntable. It spun once when I powered it up and now won't do anything. And the 5-CD changer opened up and let me remove the old CDs but now won't open. The speakers sound good but I'm not taking them through their paces yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

That looks like a belt drive turntable. It wouldn't surprise me if it spun a few times and then the belt fell off/apart.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

petit choux posted:

I sort of gather the Ion was a decent turntable overall. But if so, what cart or needle do I get for it? I'm seeing ads for diamond, ruby and sapphire, all cheaply priced

This is a joke, right? The ION was a complete garbage turntable, the only difference between that and a Crosley or something was that you could hook the Ion to your computer.

And I can't believe that they still make turntable needles in anything but diamond. There are inexpensive enough diamond needles that you should never, ever consider anything else.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

strtj posted:

This is a joke, right? The ION was a complete garbage turntable, the only difference between that and a Crosley or something was that you could hook the Ion to your computer.

And I can't believe that they still make turntable needles in anything but diamond. There are inexpensive enough diamond needles that you should never, ever consider anything else.

My memory isn't that great, I'm sure this is one of the problems with brand name recognition. This is the first one I've found in any good condition, I have heard people talk about them a lot, I've never had one, I don't remember the specifics RN. But diamond is the correct answer I guess?

I'm glad to hear your opinion on it though, it helps with the disposition of it. I have several TTs and don't need it, I had some vague hopes it would offer some value my others don't.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 7, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Scored these secondhand Dali Zensor 5s for a little over 200. They're hooked up to a 30 year old Akai (background) and everything is working awesomely after some de-dusting and liberal application of contact spray. Just need to find a place for them now...

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

That looks like a belt drive turntable. It wouldn't surprise me if it spun a few times and then the belt fell off/apart.

I don't think so but I'll find out and report back. There's something odd. It does appear to be a cheap TT, probably not much better than the abovementioned Ion. But it's part of the set.

Sorry to bother you all, thanks so much for some replies.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

an iksar marauder posted:

Scored these secondhand Dali Zensor 5s for a little over 200. They're hooked up to a 30 year old Akai (background) and everything is working awesomely after some de-dusting and liberal application of contact spray. Just need to find a place for them now...

Wow, pretty

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Those are beautiful and a great deal. I bet those sound like butter.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

They sound great and the 35w per line amp is doing just fine. I got lucky though since I bought them blind (aside from dali being a ‘good brand’ whatever that is worth nowadays)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This might not be the right thread for it, but does anyone have recommendations on nice looking wood speaker stands? Need to replace some old lovely silver and black ones I have that match none of the future and are now delaminating.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

petit choux posted:

My memory isn't that great, I'm sure this is one of the problems with brand name recognition. This is the first one I've found in any good condition, I have heard people talk about them a lot, I've never had one, I don't remember the specifics RN.

I'm not really sure where you would've read much (positive, anyway) about Ion, I would imagine they're one of those companies that just buys whatever is cheapest off the line in China and sticks their brand on it. They might's well sell to thrift stores directly, as that's where you tend to see their stuff the most.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not really sure where you would've read much (positive, anyway) about Ion, I would imagine they're one of those companies that just buys whatever is cheapest off the line in China and sticks their brand on it. They might's well sell to thrift stores directly, as that's where you tend to see their stuff the most.

Oh, probably on Amazon and other retail websites. And that is a bit hyperbolic. But I have a couple decent ones. I can make do without it. And if that Sony TT doesn't work out, I think this might be a little bit of an upgrade:

And here is the Aiwa:

And here's my pride and joy:

And if anybody can refresh my recollection of what to use to burnish these scuffed acrylic covers, I'd appreciate it.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

petit choux posted:

Oh, probably on Amazon and other retail websites. And that is a bit hyperbolic. But I have a couple decent ones. I can make do without it. And if that Sony TT doesn't work out, I think this might be a little bit of an upgrade:

And here is the Aiwa:

And here's my pride and joy:

And if anybody can refresh my recollection of what to use to burnish these scuffed acrylic covers, I'd appreciate it.

Try headlight kits.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Novus 2, it's sold at motorcycle dealers to buff out windshield and helmet visors.

Works awesome they also make a more coarse and a clean/shine only version named novus 3 and novus 1 but I have only ever needed to use Novus 2 for everything I have tried.

https://novuspolish.com/

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Enos Cabell posted:

This might not be the right thread for it, but does anyone have recommendations on nice looking wood speaker stands? Need to replace some old lovely silver and black ones I have that match none of the future and are now delaminating.

There’s a lot of variety here, how much weight do they need to support/how big a base size? And are you looking for tall/slender ones or blockier ones?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

There’s a lot of variety here, how much weight do they need to support/how big a base size? And are you looking for tall/slender ones or blockier ones?

Good point! I'm looking for something 18-24" tall that can support an ~15lb bookshelf speaker. Most of the stuff I've seen on Amazon looks pretty crappy, but at the same time I'm not looking to spend $300 on an audiophile site either.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Enos Cabell posted:

Good point! I'm looking for something 18-24" tall that can support an ~15lb bookshelf speaker. Most of the stuff I've seen on Amazon looks pretty crappy, but at the same time I'm not looking to spend $300 on an audiophile site either.

are you at all handy? There’s a plethora of plans out there to fab up your own using some hardware store wood, etc

wood’s still expensive but it’d still probably be way cheaper than buying and shipping the sort of thing that it sounds like you want

it probably wouldn’t take you more than a weekend to make a serviceable pair

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

If you wanted to you could build stands out of sand filled pvc pipe or something like that. Not very hard. But if you had a specific look you were going for or aren’t a diy person buying a set might be the way to go

Beaten I guess!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looking like that will be the way to go. I'm much better at functional than pretty, but I guess tackling projects like this is the way to change that. Time to find the woodworking thread!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Yeah 15lb is too heavy for cheap but still too expensive amazon trash I think. Depending on the look you are going for diy might be very cheap in comparison

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
As an aside, I like Infinites as much as the next guy but man do their designs look more of a time compared to some other speakers. I think it’s the oak veneer maybe. They sound great though

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Enos Cabell posted:

I was about to recommend the Kanto SX22’s but they’re around $300. I would say they’re ceiling of price to performance for stands though. Close to 30lbs of flat black powder coated steel, levelling feet, comes with a full bag for up to 30 more pounds of sand, cable channel, two sizes of speaker mounting bases. But most importantly they just look simple and nice. Not tacky like most of the Amazon offerings. Any more money than that and you’re into audiophile dumb dumb tax.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I have a pair of Sony speakers that I bought at auction for about $17. They are 4 feet tall and they work just fine but that part doesn’t matter. I’ll sell them to you for $100 and you can just place your speakers on top of them and not hook them up.

Bing bang boom :)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

namlosh posted:

I have a pair of Sony speakers that I bought at auction for about $17. They are 4 feet tall and they work just fine but that part doesn’t matter. I’ll sell them to you for $100 and you can just place your speakers on top of them and not hook them up.

The speaker-on-speaker look in a basement room with wood paneling and a Led Zeppelin flag on the wall is a classic.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Also have a look on Etsy for speaker stands. There’s a huge variety and you can probably find some specific to your model of speaker. I got some steel stands for my hundred-pound Altecs off Etsy made by a dude in Poland, sized exactly to my cabinets.

[Edit] the catch is it took five months to arrive

ephori fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 8, 2022

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BigFactory posted:

As an aside, I like Infinites as much as the next guy but man do their designs look more of a time compared to some other speakers. I think it’s the oak veneer maybe. They sound great though

So fuckin’ true. Reasons why I no longer have my 6Kappa.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Yeah these are my wifes speakers she picked up in like 92, and I had a pair of nearly identical JBL speakers from 93. Extremely dated style, but they do still sound great so I haven't really felt the need to upgrade yet.

namlosh posted:

Hah, in my 20s I had the aforementioned JBL bookshelf speakers and my roommate had some monster Cerwin Vegas. We ended up stacking the JBLs on top and wired them both up at the same time for no good reason, but we felt cool doing it. Those Cerwin Vegas were so loud I don't think you could even tell the difference.

DoesNotCompute posted:

I was about to recommend the Kanto SX22’s but they’re around $300. I would say they’re ceiling of price to performance for stands though. Close to 30lbs of flat black powder coated steel, levelling feet, comes with a full bag for up to 30 more pounds of sand, cable channel, two sizes of speaker mounting bases. But most importantly they just look simple and nice. Not tacky like most of the Amazon offerings. Any more money than that and you’re into audiophile dumb dumb tax.

ephori posted:

Also have a look on Etsy for speaker stands. There’s a huge variety and you can probably find some specific to your model of speaker. I got some steel stands for my hundred-pound Altecs off Etsy made by a dude in Poland, sized exactly to my cabinets.

Those both look great! Think I'm gonna try the DIY route first, but good to see there are some decent options out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

ephori posted:

Worth the wait, these look fantastic.

Any advice on securing bookshelf speakers onto stands? I'd like to somehow secure mine to the stands since I live in earthquake country.