Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I had non-worst-thead-poster company with me today watching the race and I had to reign in a lot of my worst thread opinions. I did however correctly predict that Carlos would lose the lead before the first turn, that after the restart Carlos would leave the track to lose position and that Charles would end up hosed by Ferrari strategy. Because my company does not regularly post in this thread, they thought I was some kind of clairvoyant.

It was fun watching Charles do the old Peanuts football gag on Lewis until the tyres died a death and then watching Waldo sternly tell Charles not to poo poo talk Ferrari before he headed to the pen.

Oh and apparently 'Frog Boy' is not a widely known nickname for Verstappen outside of this thread. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

NGL watching Verstappen having to race as a midfielder was extremely entertaining.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think the new formula actually made Silverstone a good track somehow.

Of course the main thing that made the race good was Max being out of contention, but holy poo poo that bit after the safety car with 5 cars from 5 different teams scrapping for position with close racing.

Leclerc was incredible holding on and repassing on hards vs brand new softs and missing an endplate.

100% Lewis would have won the race without the safety car, but the SC caused some of the best racing for years so I'll take it.

Disappointing that Max only ended up losing 6 points in the WDC, but promising to see that there might be 3 teams in the title race now.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tsaedje posted:

holy poo poo that bit after the safety car with 5 cars from 5 different teams scrapping for position with close racing.

I don't think I've ever seen a brawl for position like that outside of one time qualifying when 4 guys started racing

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Kirios posted:

Flipped it over to Indycar out of curiosity and it feels so slow. And the cars look really weird. I have no idea why people watch this over F1.

It’s better than NASCAR fam. Also I can get to local races without taking a 2nd mortgage.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Cher Leclair got quite a finger wagging by Harry Potter

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

djfooboo posted:

It’s better than NASCAR fam. Also I can get to local races without taking a 2nd mortgage.

Do you follow IMSA?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

marshalljim posted:

Do you follow IMSA?

imsa deez nuts

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

As much as I want to give Lewis a chance, him saying that Charles was more sensible through this corner than Max is uhhh lmao.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005

"Never say you like fish and chips, not even back in Italy"

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Solus posted:

As much as I want to give Lewis a chance, him saying that Charles was more sensible through this corner than Max is uhhh lmao.

The difference is Max is one of the drivers in the top picture and guess what happened.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
9/10 times Charlie The Clerk is a more sensible driver but Lewis bringing this up unprompted, when he went out of his way to downshift and slow down this weekend, is deeply hilarious

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

marshalljim posted:

Do you follow IMSA?

Yes, love it. I love how open the pits are. It’s absolutely insane. My wife weazled her way into multiple cars got off the track. Coverage on national tv is worse then Indycar though :/

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Charles Leclerc posted:

I had non-worst-thead-poster company with me today watching the race and I had to reign in a lot of my worst thread opinions. I did however correctly predict that Carlos would lose the lead before the first turn, that after the restart Carlos would leave the track to lose position and :words:

Vamos Formula 1 Race-Winner Carlos Sainz

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Screaming frog and other slurs at the top of my lungs as my watching partner -- who is not protected by stairs btw -- looks on in horror

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Halo also prevented a decapitation today for those who didn’t watch F2.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
ferrari are loving morons and leclerc needs to ditch the team if he wants to be wdc

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Zeta Acosta posted:

ferrari are loving morons and leclerc needs to ditch the team if he wants to be wdc

Yeah he needs to get the hell out of there and go win it all at uhh... McLaren? Hmm maybe pasta isn't so bad after all

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Cant remember a roll hoop failing like that since Diniz

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Zeta Acosta posted:

sorry you've lost the passion, friend. ferrari actually loving own and won the race actually. #forzaFerrari

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Ferrari winning and :ferrari: still being appropriate is the true meaning of passione

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

italian quid posted:

Charles just doing some of the best racing I've ever loving seen on some gimped car on old rear end bin tires against Lewis and Sergio, lmao if there isn't a meeting right after this race where they tell Sainz he's now absolutely the number 2 driver

He is extremely good. I watched the last few laps on his inboard and he was driving on the very edge seemingly every corner to stay competitive.

He and Max are pretty clearly a cut above the rest of the field atm

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Red Bull should fire Max and replace him with Charles

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

sorry you've lost the passion, friend. ferrari actually loving own and won the race actually. #forzaFerrari

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Solus posted:

lmao

I don’t like max and love Hamilton but cmon Lewis, just own it

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
le clerk should have hitting that moron binotto for waving his finger to his face

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Well that was all MotoGP levels of entertainment. GJ F1!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Does Ricciardo even see out the year at this point?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Having just rewatched the Zhou crash - i think we're incredibly lucky there was no fire involved because that was terrifying

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Solus posted:

Having just rewatched the Zhou crash - i think we're incredibly lucky there was no fire involved because that was terrifying

I was thinking the same thing. First lap, 100kg on board, major skidding and cartwheeling and marshals were not that close to the landing site.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

Well that was all MotoGP levels of entertainment. GJ F1!

If they can make every f1 race this good, people might actually like it. My partner (who was intro’d via DTS) was shouting at the tv in the closing laps it was so good!

Good thing we have motogp though. Hopefully they fix the lovely front Michelin tires soon so we can have even more passes ala 2015.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

10 points from Gryffindor

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
My daughter was crying every time Checo and Lewis overtook Charles in the last rounds but that was because she thought it was Carlos so she was quite relieved when she finally got that her boy Carlos was smooth sailing in the front. She's just turned 4 tbf but that's passione!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Watch Truth In 24 II where Alan McNish explodes his car into a fence if you want to see just how much energy those fences can absorb and redirect
agh, catching up on the thread and crash talk + mention of mcnish dredged up my old memory of seeing some poor spectator get mulched by his post-crash cartwheeling engine back at an old f3000 race at donnington back in '90

real loving glad we got through this weekend without anyone being badly hurt

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

niethan posted:

My daughter was crying every time Checo and Lewis overtook Charles in the last rounds but that was because she thought it was Carlos so she was quite relieved when she finally got that her boy Carlos was smooth sailing in the front. She's just turned 4 tbf but that's passione!

Wow only 4 years old but already has as much awareness of what's happening in the race as the Ferrari pit wall.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Crowds were never safe when McNish had a crash. The one at Le Mans looked like a video game glitch

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

niethan posted:

Have her submit her resume to be a pit engineer for the scuzzeria

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

What a wild fuckin' race.

Very happy for the Sainz, Perez, Hamilton podium and those final laps were some great racing.

Very :unsmith: that Mick got points finally.

Super glad that Albon and particularly Zhou are okay.
It feels very weird thinking positively of George Russel for immediately sprinting to check on them and I don't like it, but I'm sure he'll be back to being a smug Tory git soon enough.

I love Ricciardo and even I can't think of a single positive thing to say about him today. He's 100% not going to have a seat anywhere next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Halo, is it Zhou you're looking for?
I can see it in your slam, I can see it in your slide
You're all I've ever wanted and my armco's open wide