Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Can’t wait to meet Dev’s blood boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Renewed for season 4.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

esperantinc posted:

Renewed for season 4.

Wonder how far the next skip is?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
No skip, aliens.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Madurai posted:

Wonder how far the next skip is?

It's been around 10 years each time.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Don’t have much to add, but did like the large portrait of Nixon in the White House as no watergate and getting out of Vietnam early would have left him in better odor. Also liked how Dev had a way to seize control of the navigation ready to go, he doesn’t respect Ed at all and only wanted him as a figurehead.

One tiny quibble, one of the least believable parts of the timeline are how movies were produced exactly the same word for word. Aliens gets made identically when humans have been living on the moon for more than a decade? I wish they’d show clips where better technology meant CGI cartoons arrived early, or the nine film Star Wars series was reaching #7 in 1995 or what video games look like, maybe a joke about the NintendoStation competing with the AtariSega box. Have fun with it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cojawfee posted:

It's been around 10 years each time.

In season 6, they easily avoid the pandemic.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Rewatching season 1 and I'd forgotten Bill Strausser's line about how if an astronaut had died instead of Gene Kranz, there'd be more than just a plaque on a wall. Buddy's been looking for recognition for awhile.

edit:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Don’t have much to add, but did like the large portrait of Nixon in the White House as no watergate and getting out of Vietnam early would have left him in better odor.

Didn't notice that but that's hilarious. I guess Watergate did happen? There's tape of Kennedy offering Nixon a pardon for it. Never would've remembered that, it's a throwaway line that happened to be in the same episode as the above.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 4, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

pokeyman posted:

Didn't notice that but that's hilarious. I guess Watergate did happen? There's tape of Kennedy offering Nixon a pardon for it. Never would've remembered that, it's a throwaway line that happened to be in the same episode as the above.

Oh you’re right I forgot about that scene.

Another minor thing, one of the newscasters is in front of a backdrop of the NYC skyline that includes the WTC. Which are probably safe in this timeline.

Also the iPod showing up early was fine but I hope all the main characters don’t spend too much time enjoying apple products. That was a distraction when they leaned on iPhones too much for plot points in After Party

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 4, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
With the US not getting involved with the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, maybe bin Laden was focusing on that instead of designing terror attacks against the US.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I've been wondering how Moore and the writers will approach the big historical beats like the 2000 election, 9/11, and the war on terror and my theory is that they just won't.

Now that they've got Ellen in the white house and can show us the Presidential drama up close as an element of the show, my theory is that they will glaze past the 2000 election drama and substitute some other catastrophe appropriate to the fiction of the show in place of 9/11.

I'm guessing they will give lip service to vague middle east happenings but basically steer clear - who wants to write a show about moon bases and landing on mars and then have to blend in Islamic-extremism, middle-eastern terrorism, etc?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

They should show the news broadcasts with a WTC-less skyline before the end of this series, as if 9/11 was also invented earlier like the iPods and flatscreens.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Penitent posted:

I've been wondering how Moore and the writers will approach the big historical beats like the 2000 election, 9/11, and the war on terror and my theory is that they just won't.

Now that they've got Ellen in the white house and can show us the Presidential drama up close as an element of the show, my theory is that they will glaze past the 2000 election drama and substitute some other catastrophe appropriate to the fiction of the show in place of 9/11.

I'm guessing they will give lip service to vague middle east happenings but basically steer clear - who wants to write a show about moon bases and landing on mars and then have to blend in Islamic-extremism, middle-eastern terrorism, etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWiboCkZV8

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I guess SNL doesn't want americans to see this

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

Speaks Russian the best, doesn't have any other uniquely helpful skills for the ridiculous mission?

I think he had one like and it was in English... obviously it was necessary for drama :)

Data Graham posted:

Severance has really spoiled me, but I have to remind myself that really most of the alt-tech design in that show is very self-contained in a small area and they leaned a lot on real-world retro-futuristic locations like that Bell Labs research center in NJ. It probably would have been fuggin' expensive to do that pervasive a level of design for a FAM alt-history that blends present-day and 1980s and weird-skewed-unstuck-in-time-aesthetic-we-can't-even-really-imagine-because-it's-a-different-timeline, and would have to be evident in the entire world from cars to spacecraft to phones to TVs and everything else, not just certain self-contained scenes.
Yeah it would obviously very expensive to do this for a show this broad so I'm not mad about it or anything.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In terms of the speed of development it's just a little disappointing because this season is the first where the show doesn't feel alternate history anymore. In the space of 9 years from 1983 to 1992 they jumped the equivalent of 25 years in our world. The remarks about how it would take them 7 years to be able to build a habitable Mars ship clashes up against the fact that it only took 9 years to go from the US testing the first experimental reusable launch vehicle to a private company having a full space hotel in orbit.

That said, none of that is really disruptive to the overall plot, just a letdown when the first couple of seasons had the real sense of "this could have easily been how things really happened".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It would be very funny to me if the most expensive thing developed for Severance was that 8-bit “CONGRATULATIONS, KEIR IS PROUD OF YOU” video game cutscene

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Penitent posted:

9/11 will be a North Korean rocket lawn darting into their Mars base (preferably right where Danny is standing, if Ed hasn't already murdered him by the end of this season).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of Nixon, wasn’t there a shot of the tape equipment in the present-day Oval Office? Maybe the Nixon tapes never came out so they never stopped taping?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Legitimately wouldn't be surprised if they do something about domestic terrorism tied to the oil/coal workers being put out of jobs due to the Helium-3 mining on the moon. The failson is definitely getting involved with those sorts of groups and seems to be going in to a sort of conspiracy rabbit hole. We're around the time of the Atlanta and first WTC bombings so plenty of footage for them to reuse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also why are they making the failson look so weird. I looked up pictures of him on the internet and he looks normal.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Also why are they making the failson look so weird. I looked up pictures of him on the internet and he looks normal.

The 90s were just a really dark age for fashion and hairstyles. We didn't have the looming threat of communism anymore to keep us in line and everything started to come apart

e: now that I think about it, the Soviet Union still exists in the show so there is no excuse for the lovely fashion

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
failson currently looks like an extra from an X-Files monster of the week episode.

Now those were the days: how do we make a young man look maladjusted and capable of eating a family member? "Bedhead" that looks like it took hours to craft and an oversized plaid shirt.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Drunk in Space posted:

9/11 will be a North Korean rocket lawn darting into their Mars base (preferably right where Danny is standing, if Ed hasn't already murdered him by the end of this season).

I don't understand what they are trying to do with the awkward Danny story line. If the show really has material for seven seasons, then the idea of having the children of the main characters from the 60's era transform into likeable main characters to carry the show makes a lot of sense.

So why do we have failson and sir-twerpy mcpunchface?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've been assuming that the Dany plotline is leading up to the first murder in space.

(Russian involved shootings don't count.)

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Cojawfee posted:

He's the first person to be simultaneously 20 and 55 years old

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Penitent posted:

I don't understand what they are trying to do with the awkward Danny story line.

Probably the same thing as with Gordo and his mental breakdown. Life in space is hard on the mind. We saw how a stable person deals with it, now we gonna see another possible outcome.

I hope we get that door scene from the shining with Danny breaking through an airlock with an axe screaming "Hiiiiii Booob!" out of this :unsmigghh:

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

GABA ghoul posted:

Probably the same thing as with Gordo and his mental breakdown. Life in space is hard on the mind. We saw how a stable person deals with it, now we gonna see another possible outcome.

I hope we get that door scene from the shining with Danny breaking through an airlock with an axe screaming "Hiiiiii Booob!" out of this :unsmigghh:

They had worked pretty hard to make Gordo a likeable and sympathetic rocket jockey leading up to his moon meltdown.

Danny has all of the makings of a lifetime original villain at this point so I think your prediction is not far off.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Penitent posted:

I don't understand what they are trying to do with the awkward Danny story line. If the show really has material for seven seasons, then the idea of having the children of the main characters from the 60's era transform into likeable main characters to carry the show makes a lot of sense.

So why do we have failson and sir-twerpy mcpunchface?

I thought I'd heard five seasons

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's seven. Though Moore also said they have ideas for another couple seasons if they wanted to.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Can’t wait till they invent cyborgs so no one has to retire

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
We're actually in the prequel to Altered Carbon, can't wait for Ed to get his stack installed

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

blue squares posted:

Can’t wait till they invent cyborgs so all this can happen again

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Season 4: Mars base!

Season 5: Journey to the Jovian system from the Mars base. Season ends with the discovery of life on Europa

Season 6: Astrobiology research station around Jupiter. Season ends with project Deadalus taking off to the closest star system

Season 7: 70 years time skip, Deadalus ship reports a semi habitable planet with life. Cryo sleep expedition to the Deadalus star! 70 year time skip mid-season and then colony plot on the habitable planet. Show ends with mankind having become a multi-stellar species

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Speaking of Nixon, wasn’t there a shot of the tape equipment in the present-day Oval Office? Maybe the Nixon tapes never came out so they never stopped taping?

Yeah, I was confused as to this as well. Were we supposed to understand that Ellen's office is being spied on? Or that all conversations in the Oval are recorded as a matter of course?

The microphone on the vase was somehow both hidden and conspicuous as hell at the same time.

Edit: also, holy hell the actress that plays Margo is only 39 and also extremely good-looking, good job makeup artists jfc.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Yeah, it's really impressive. They took her from Dana Scully to Janet Reno.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Something not discussed yet: the cosmonaut that Baranov addresses as 'Dimitri' is the doctor that visited Jamestown before the Soviet attack, putting him two for two on astronauts dying shortly after he turns up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

dpkg chopra posted:

Yeah, I was confused as to this as well. Were we supposed to understand that Ellen's office is being spied on? Or that all conversations in the Oval are recorded as a matter of course?

I assumed the latter, that the conversations are being recorded like Nixon did.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I assumed the latter, that the conversations are being recorded like Nixon did.

Jesus, I completely blanked on Nixon's tapes.

According to this random FAM wiki, Nixon survives the Watergate scandal and wins reelection, rejects a pardon, and is never criminally charged for the tapings.

I guess maybe the system survived and is now a matter of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Penitent posted:

Maybe Ellen’s dumb far right VP starts a war in the Middle East after Ellen is impeached. I kind of assume they won’t do a 9/11/war on terror parallel.