Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/mind_probiotic/status/1543220098302885888?s=21&t=yMyJX_Xw7XI1kn-bcSdAqg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh my god lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

:barf:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Idgi, it’s weird but I’m not grossed out?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hawkperson posted:

Idgi, it’s weird but I’m not grossed out?
It's not gross but it's extremely nauseating

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Picked up another big thick bone-in ribeye at the store this morning, so excited!

Now THAT is a proper steak, I think! Probably not gonna actually cook it until the 4th, but I'm already looking forward to it. The last bone-in ribeye I cooked vastly exceeded my expectations and all the steaks I've cooked since have made me think wistfully of how awesome that one particular steak was, so I'm quite happy to have another one!

It's actually funny, I was going to head to this expensive private butcher today if there weren't any bone-in ribeyes at my usual supermarket when I went there this morning - and I didn't expect there to be any, since I hadn't seen one in like at least a month. But to my surprise and delight, they had four big bone-in ribeyes right there under the glass :)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
$45? I'd hate to think what it would cost at the expensive butcher's.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
To be fair, I do think that's the cheapest steak he's posted about in this thread.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think I've ever paid more than $6-7lb for bone in ribeye but I used to always just grab it on sale. I don't even gently caress with steak much atm though the prices are just bonkers

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, it’s definitely not totally cheap or absurdly cheap, but meat prices are what they are - seems to me that bone-in ribeyes (even choice ones) can cost upwards of $20-$30 per pound, so I feel like I shouldn’t complain too much about $15/lb.

Nowhere near as absurd as the prime filet mignons they sell - those are over $20 each for one little 7-ounce steak, which is over $40/lb :stare: Even I don’t consider touching those.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Meat should be expensive.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

Truth.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Chicken and pork are still fairly reasonably priced it feels like, but with the recent inflation the price of beef has really gone up pretty dramatically, expensive and "luxury" cuts most of all, really.

I definitely agree that meat shouldn't be cheap - both from an ecological perspective as well as a practical one - but the rate of inflation has been pretty absurd lately. It shouldn't be prohibitively expensive, and it isn't yet. But we're getting there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Steaks are already prohibitively expensive for most people except on rare occasions, hth

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i feel like eating steak every day is bad

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
How much effort needs to go into a “cuisine” thread? Like if I want to make a thread about Mexican food but am not super up on it, can I just post recipes I like and see what other people have to say? I’m a white dude from Kentucky so I can’t really speak to much authenticity, but I love the cuisine, both tex mex and more local to Mexico.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

therattle posted:

I don’t think only rich people should get to eat steak.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fr0id posted:

How much effort needs to go into a “cuisine” thread? Like if I want to make a thread about Mexican food but am not super up on it, can I just post recipes I like and see what other people have to say? I’m a white dude from Kentucky so I can’t really speak to much authenticity, but I love the cuisine, both tex mex and more local to Mexico.
Aside from the fact that it seems like nobody has bothered to create a new thread in GWS in the last 10 years, I don't think there's anything stopping you from just making a thread for mexican food if you feel like it

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

As long as you link it in megathreads like this one, I'll hop in and :justpost:

Speaking of which, the new-ish ice cream thread is going well :) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002858&perpage=40&noseen=1

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

mystes posted:

Aside from the fact that it seems like nobody has bothered to create a new thread in GWS in the last 10 years, I don't think there's anything stopping you from just making a thread for mexican food if you feel like it
The Indian thread is only three years old!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t think only rich people should get to eat steak.

No, but it should be a luxury item. Cheap meat isn’t cheap at all; someone or something is paying a price for it. One can’t want system change without accepting that some of those changes are not ideal. As bad as the current system is (i.e. very) it’s not all bad for everyone, so changing it will lead to some undesirable outcomes for certain people. If it were up to me, along with much higher meat prices I’d tax the gently caress out of the rich and engage in a wealth transfer to the poor so that the poorer people in our society could sometimes afford luxuries.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That definitely makes sense to me. What always sticks with me are the statistics about how incredibly inefficient meat is in terms of the amount of foodstuffs, energy, and land that go into raising livestock. To my thinking, that’s the biggest reason why meat ought to be a luxury item.

As someone who nevertheless loves eating meat, my own way of dealing with this is to only buy fairly high-quality cuts of beef - prime (which I rarely can get) or free-range organic, usually. Because I really think the issue is more the cheap, low-quality stuff that gets raised, slaughtered and packaged in generally vile and deplorable conditions. I do my best not to support that side of the meat industry, though I probably am not nearly as successful as I imagine or hope myself to be.

Also, I didn’t mean to give the indication that I’m buying and cooking these massive cuts of steak solely for myself! The last one I cooked for myself, my roommate, and two guests who were staying in our loft most of last month, for example. This next one I’ll be cooking probably tonight for my roommate and his girlfriend, as well as myself.

There wouldn’t be much point in buying steaks that big and awesome if you don’t have at least a couple people other than yourself to cook for, in my humble opinion.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Veni has never had a thought expand beyond a concept of "me" and has, I assure you, never considered cheap meat is a product of human exploitation too.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You all can just save a bunch of money and go vegan while we wait a few years for lab grown meat to work out the remaining kinks, at which point we can all stuff our faces with as many guilt-free steak as we want.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Something that's wild to me is that within a 3 mile walk I can pass a place that sells the ofal cuts for like 2 to 4 a lb, bit pork chops for 12 and bone in ribey for 38. The non fufu place has chops at 1.50 a lb but the offal cuts substantially more.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

kaworu posted:

That definitely makes sense to me. What always sticks with me are the statistics about how incredibly inefficient meat is in terms of the amount of foodstuffs, energy, and land that go into raising livestock. To my thinking, that’s the biggest reason why meat ought to be a luxury item.

As someone who nevertheless loves eating meat, my own way of dealing with this is to only buy fairly high-quality cuts of beef - prime (which I rarely can get) or free-range organic, usually. Because I really think the issue is more the cheap, low-quality stuff that gets raised, slaughtered and packaged in generally vile and deplorable conditions. I do my best not to support that side of the meat industry, though I probably am not nearly as successful as I imagine or hope myself to be.

Also, I didn’t mean to give the indication that I’m buying and cooking these massive cuts of steak solely for myself! The last one I cooked for myself, my roommate, and two guests who were staying in our loft most of last month, for example. This next one I’ll be cooking probably tonight for my roommate and his girlfriend, as well as myself.

There wouldn’t be much point in buying steaks that big and awesome if you don’t have at least a couple people other than yourself to cook for, in my humble opinion.

I’m totally with you on all of this.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hawkperson posted:

Hmm, I don’t buy those often, but I’ll try next time I get to the store and report back.

You know what it might be that - I don’t mind parsley but I’m almost always seeing it in context of being curly and a garnish. Maybe I’ll sniff some flat leaf at the grocery store and see if I get queasy

Hey so remember two months ago when we were trying to figure out what herb makes me queasy in dark Italian restaurants? It's either thyme or flat leaf parsley, because I made a dish tonight that uses both and uh, yeah I'm not having a fun time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Veni has never had a thought expand beyond a concept of "me" and has, I assure you, never considered cheap meat is a product of human exploitation too.

I would have have no idea who the gently caress you are, never interacted with you at all. But you have been following me around the forums on and off for years now just to randomly pop in and talk poo poo about me. Really felt like you were stalking me a while back there for a bit. it was super weird you just popped into the thread about my city, like you were just following my post history around so you could act like a piece of poo poo. I really don't care that you hate me for some reason I am completely unaware of, but you really need to put me on ignore or something. In fact I have never ignored someone on the forums in almost 20 years but I am going to make you the first.

I seriously have no idea what your problem is or why you are so obsessed with me but go gently caress yourself loser. Let's never interact again tia.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 5, 2022

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You all can just save a bunch of money and go vegan while we wait a few years for lab grown meat to work out the remaining kinks, at which point we can all stuff our faces with as many guilt-free steak as we want.

So I don’t know if you read Alicia Kennedy’s newsletter, but she’s a plant based food writer doing some serious interrogation of the industrial agricultural system that’s predicated the American diet on meat that’s definitely worth reading. https://www.aliciakennedy.news?r=cd2&utm_medium=ios

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

bloody ghost titty posted:

So I don’t know if you read Alicia Kennedy’s newsletter, but she’s a plant based food writer doing some serious interrogation of the industrial agricultural system that’s predicated the American diet on meat that’s definitely worth reading. https://www.aliciakennedy.news?r=cd2&utm_medium=ios
Usually the more I read about this topic the less happy I find myself. If you're looking for something to nudge you into veganism or political activism or whatever I can recommend learning about what's up with food but honestly basically everything you'll learn is going to be a huge bummer.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I’m gonna make a Mexican food thread but feel like I need to read multiple books beforehand and research things. Like given that most of the posters on here are professional chefs and line cooks and so on it feels somehow more intimidating than the science and academia forum.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

fr0id posted:

I’m gonna make a Mexican food thread but feel like I need to read multiple books beforehand and research things. Like given that most of the posters on here are professional chefs and line cooks and so on it feels somehow more intimidating than the science and academia forum.
Some good places to start:

https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/steyuc
https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/kenoax
https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/kennedy-my-mexico
https://utpress.utexas.edu/books/sterling-mercados
https://rickbayless.shop/products/authentic-mexican
https://patijinich.com/cookbook/patis-mexican-table/
https://patijinich.com/cookbook/treasures-of-the-mexican-table/

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Thank you for this! I’m thinking that I’m just gonna structure it with stuff form the Diana Kennedy books but also just going through recipes by bricia lopez in her Oaxaca cookbook. I live in southern Ohio so hopefully I can find a Supermercado for epazote and nopales. Also gonna structure the thread around cooking for one person and figuring that out with a cuisine based around feeding big families.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You really don't have to make an encyclopedic first post. You can just be like "MEXICAN FOOD I'm not Mexican and I don't know very much, but I like it. post your Mexican food here" and then, if you want, scatter effortposts as you learn and make different things.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 6, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

You really don't have to make an encyclopedic first post. You can just be like "MEXICAN FOOD I'm not Mexican and I don't know very much, but I like it. post your Mexican food here" and then, if you want, scatter effortposts as you learn and make different things.

Yeah, totally agree. As long as you’re not being an arrogant rear end in a top hat and are showing a willingness to learn and discuss, the posters in here are for the most part amazingly chill and helpful. Oh, and incredibly well-informed! I started the bread thread but most of the regular posters there are much better bakers than I am. Just get the ball rolling!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry about my unchill post btw. this thread is good poo poo and I came back to respond to you specifically, and just found this random guy I've never actually talked who likes to likes to harass me for some reason doing his thing once again.

But yeah, I don't think you are wrong in that meat should be more of a luxury item regardless of how much I enjoy it. It's not really sustainable and the meat industry is not ethical. I just don't realistically see a world where this doesn't amount to regular people getting screwed and the wealthy continuing to enjoy whatever they want. maybe this is good in some broader sense, but I don't see any sort of tax offset actually happening. It's not an ideal world. I don't see a realistic scenario where rising meat prices doesn't just gently caress over the poor into eating increasing levels of garbage.

I also don't have a great solution to propose I just think that is what's gonna happen.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

fr0id posted:

Just post god damnit. Like AnneWhatley said, “hey, let’s learn about Mexican food together. Here’s what I know thus far, and here’s the crap on my reading list. I’ll post updates as I go, as a white guy from Ohio. If you have stuff to show me, I’m all ears.”

Say that, but more eloquently. Either way, don’t worry about it. Just post at where you are, and we’ll come join you. People here are chill as long as you’re not a cheffy chef posting an AMA about all your random LOLOMG hijinks at a Real Restaurant (tm) when it’s clear your rear end just got out of culinary school five minutes ago. Don’t pretend to be something you’re not, and we’re all happy to meet you where you’re at.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

fr0id posted:

Thank you for this! I’m thinking that I’m just gonna structure it with stuff form the Diana Kennedy books but also just going through recipes by bricia lopez in her Oaxaca cookbook. I live in southern Ohio so hopefully I can find a Supermercado for epazote and nopales. Also gonna structure the thread around cooking for one person and figuring that out with a cuisine based around feeding big families.

Where in Southern Ohio? I’ve seen great availability in Northern KY (Louisville), and forums goon Merkin Muffley is in Covington and may have suggestions.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
If you live in southern Ohio, you're not that far, probably, from Jungle Jim's and I know they at least carry nopales. I've never looked for epazote so I don't know if they have that as well, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

fr0id posted:

I didn't think most people posting in gws are professional cooks (I'm happy to be wrong about that of course). I figured we're mostly a bunch of nerds who cook.