Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
If I may offer up a suggestion:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2296065044

e: new page, this is in response to Grand Fromage's screenshots bottom of last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nice. I only have one Japanese cop car/fire truck/ambulance. I hadn't remembered to switch the models until after that screenshot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm not sure I've ever even once zoomed in on one of my cities like that. Looks cool.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Now that I have gotten "good" at the game, I hate two things more than anything, Deathcare (and to a lesser extent Landfills) below whatever it is population count that unlocks incinerators and crematoriums...and finite resources. By the time I've finally got my Oil or Ore industries humming along I'm out of resources and going into debt to acquire raw materials.

I don't want to enable infinite resources but I will now.

edit:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Friend, have you heard the good news of our savior the No Deathcare mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803074771

i had no idea

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 29, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Friend, have you heard the good news of our savior the No Deathcare mod?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They should have rolled deathcare into Park Life by letting you designate areas as cemeteries and had associated assets that you could plop down like funeral homes, mausoleums, grave plots, etc.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

QuantaStarFire posted:

They should have rolled deathcare into Park Life by letting you designate areas as cemeteries and had associated assets that you could plop down like funeral homes, mausoleums, grave plots, etc.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Are there any mods that add pre-war mixed-use style zoning? Or is the suburb/skyscraper helldichotomy hardcoded?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's not possible to do vertical mixed use. Hope for it to be in the sequel.

E: You can fake it though, there are workshop props that are just store/business facades you can stick on residential buildings.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 29, 2022

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
There are some buildings to be used with ploppable RICO that allow you to have mixed use buildings (separate first and upper floors) but you’d need to plop everything and that sucks imo

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Even in the virtual world I can't escape the suburbs

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The only way to get mixed use without plopping everything is to mix your zones and ensure compatible styles in your district's themes, plus the district policy that doesn't allow high-rises.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah horizontal mixed use is easy.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

mixed use is up there with roads that actually treat lanes properly as things that would massively improve a sequel.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Cat Wings posted:

mixed use is up there with roads that actually treat lanes properly as things that would massively improve a sequel.
I don't think it would be difficult to implement, but from a game mechanic aspect it is a bit problematic - why would you zone anything BUT mixed-use? You'd have to be careful in how you implemented it, or give it some relevant disadvantage compared to single-use residential/commercial/office zoning, or else your downtowns are all going to look identical.

(Of course, this begs the question, in actual cities, why would you zone anything but mixed-use...)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A major reason is there just isn't that much commercial demand realistically. The vast majority of any city is going to be residences. Like even Tokyo has enormous swaths of single family residential with detached houses, it's just that there are commercial and light industrial uses mixed into it and single family housing there is not on gigantic lots, the houses are close together. The zoning is also pretty complex and there are lots of categories with a lot of allowed uses, like if you have a three story house you have the right to open a business in the first floor if you want to. Most people don't want to though, so you mostly get just residential.

Having some way to implement lots as a concept separate from buildings would help. Maybe through more granular density where you can have a medium or high density single family residential district, that automatically makes lots barely larger than the house. Procedurally generated buildings are probably going to look like poo poo for the foreseeable future, but procedural lots would be much easier. Mix and match from a pool of appropriate props, with a BOB mod like ability to edit those on the fly if you don't like them.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 30, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Having some way to implement lots as a concept separate from buildings would help. Maybe through more granular density where you can have a medium or high density single family residential district, that automatically makes lots barely larger than the house. Procedurally generated buildings are probably going to look like poo poo for the foreseeable future, but procedural lots would be much easier. Mix and match from a pool of appropriate props, with a BOB mod like ability to edit those on the fly if you don't like them.

this is basically how sc4 works so its not impossible to implement in a theoretical cs:2

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a lot of things they could do like that with semi-procedural stuff while still keeping it practical. Dynamic texture variation/coloring would do a lot to reduce the building clone effect. I'd love dynamic skyscraper heights where simpler skyscrapers could be defined as [base][repeating section][roof] and it just chucks in how ever many middle segments it chooses.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't think it would be difficult to implement, but from a game mechanic aspect it is a bit problematic - why would you zone anything BUT mixed-use? You'd have to be careful in how you implemented it, or give it some relevant disadvantage compared to single-use residential/commercial/office zoning, or else your downtowns are all going to look identical.

(Of course, this begs the question, in actual cities, why would you zone anything but mixed-use...)

You zone, at least by the Japanese model (which isn't solely Japanese, my own small city in the US has something similar), within categories of mixed-use. So 12 standard categories and two nonstandard:
0) Unzonable land, allocated at the national level. Preexisting structures and the remodeling thereof is allowed. Essentially, this is your adjacent plots in SC4/C:S, land you can subsequently expand into as some kind of reward; additionally under this model you would have a small existing pop and ag base that a major goal as a starter town would be to provide services for before incorporating.

To make it into the skeleton of a game:
Starter:
1) Lowrise residential A. SFH, duplex through around septuplex studios. Also allows schooling through age 18, clinics, religious buildings, and extremely smallscale retail (think those antique shops or bookstores people run from their bottom floor.
2) Lowrise residential B. As 1, but also allows farmer's markets, diners, etc.

Hit 100 pop, unlock avenues (2/1, turn lanes, etc), stoplights, one-way.
3) Midrise residential A. As 1-2, but also allows small detatched or single-level entire-floor stores and restaurants, and single-tile light industry.

Hit 500 pop, unlock 4-lane intersettlement and construction of passenger rail stations on existing lines.
4) Midrise residential B. As 1-3, but also allows hospitals, universities, larger stores and restaurants.
5) Dense residential A. As 1-4, but also allows stores up to 100 tiles, 4-tile light industry, offices (read, high-education clean I), and hotels.

Hit 1000 pop, unlock boulevards (4-lane), trams, buses.
6) Dense residential B. As 1-5, with the addition of 4-tile entertainment and its traffic and noise pollution.
7) Quasi-residential. As 1-6, with the addition of 16-tile entertainment, 8-tile light productive industry, and warehouses (I, minimal pollution, loooots of traffic).

Hit 5000 pop, unlock construction of new light rail lines.
8) Neighborhood commercial. As 1-7, with the addition of commercial buildings of unlimited size.
9) Commercial. As 1-8, and uniquely, unlike the rest of the system, adds nightlife: C, high noise pollution, high crime, simulation gives a large penalty to the primary education attractiveness of the area for R development purposes?

Hit 10000 pop, unlock 6-lane roads and heavy rail spur construction but not signaling or internal lines.
10) Quasi-industrial. As 1-8, additionally allows medium pollution I.

Hit 25000 pop, unlock full heavy rail and metro construction.
11) Industrial. As 1-8 except disallowing hotels, schools, universities, and unlimited-size C, additionally allows high pollution I.
12) Exclusively industrial. Allows only clinics, religious buildings, entertainment, all industry.

Hit 50000 pop:
Ω) Arcologies and other ploppable special buildings.

In cases of inadequate services, buildings will become abandoned, then reroll among the pool that services support, as in SC or C:I. The challenge of the game, like the challenge of Japanese zoning, is that you can't directly force a tile-occupier to move along as you upzone; you need to provide an attractive space for that agent to move to or they'll keep their nail house, opening the option of just sprawling fresh zones away from existing services but then having to build new ones, similar to how W&R handles it. You also can't simply layer 9 or even 6-8 or 10 everywhere, as 9 in particular is extremely unattractive to pops with children and 6-8 require high-end transit throughout while the noise pollution makes it not quite as attractive residentially (and, of course, to provide much I you need 10 with its pollution).

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
having 12 different zoning options with subtly difference choices sounds like a bit of a nightmare from a UX perspective
also a lot of that I feel would work better as district policies.

like, keep the usual RCI + density zones, add the ability to zone more than one type in the same space, then add a bunch of district policies and sliders like max pollution, max loudness, max traffic, nightlife, etc. which influence what kinda buildings choose to pop up and the corresponding local effects. And then if you change the policy existing buildings are grandfathered unless you run the bulldozer through.

and for convenience the ability to copypaste or otherwise transfer district policies.

e: also local effects for ploppables. like, elementary schools force speed limits on adjacent roads (unless you turn off the policy in which case your roadkill stats go up), government & police buildings attract protests that may scare away commercial while transit stations increase pedestrian traffic which attract commercial, hospitals & fire buildings create noise zones, etc. (basically extend what games already do with pollution)

also $$ and $$$ zones could develop private schools and clinics and whatnot that supplement your public works' capacity but only if the demand, zoning and policies line up.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 1, 2022

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Blimpkin posted:

Now that I have gotten "good" at the game, I hate two things more than anything, Deathcare (and to a lesser extent Landfills) below whatever it is population count that unlocks incinerators and crematoriums...and finite resources. By the time I've finally got my Oil or Ore industries humming along I'm out of resources and going into debt to acquire raw materials.

edit:

i had no idea

If you want to avoid outright cheating the realistic population mod, among various other things, does kill deathwaves pretty handily by making incoming ages a lot more variable so it's just another garbage-type to handle.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Blimpkin posted:

edit:

i had no idea

I have a mod that sets resource depletion to 10% - feels much more reasonable that way. I thought oil and ore could still turn a profit even if you were importing the raw goods, though? Or is that only if you've got the factories pumping out specialized products?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I feel like sliders and granular policies would kill the point, both as a didactic example of maximum-nuisance zoning, as a game of having to maintain ratios where you don't have direct control of what gets built (and don't have that bulldozer! Or at least need to manage your money more carefully, to buy out and eventually resell tiles.), and of keeping the zone type count manageable. Though 12 zones is, let's be honest, only 3 more than SC4 throws at you.

You could, however, in the interest of catering to RCIbrain, condense down 1+2, 4+5, 8+9, and 11+12 with district policy. At which point you'd be left with a zone lineup that looks like:
Lowrise R (policy to exclusively roll R buildings), Midrise R
Midrise Rural C (policy to allow big-box), Midrise Town C, Highrise C, Highrise Urban C (policy to allow nightlife)
Mid-intensity I, High-intensity I (policy to exclusively roll I buildings)

That gives you fewer direct zone types to deal with than SC4, while also letting you bill it as the only citybuilder to simulate an actual, real-life zoning policy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's less the number and more about the distinction between zones. RCI is popular because it's easy to grasp. Yes, SC4 has 9 zones but they aren't 9 zones, they're 3 types x 3 densities. Red/green/blue + light/medium/dark. (Plus brown for landfills)
That's why I proposed overlapping RCI zones instead of mixed zones. It's easy to grasp "Mid R + Low C" or "Low R + Low I" or such, and it lets you keep using existing visual language using stripes for the combinations. If you don't want to allow silly combinations (why not? experimenting is fun), just disallow the respective overlaps.

In your example I don't know what's the difference between Mid Rural C and Mid Town C or High C and High Urban C and I'd have to be checking the tooltip, and it'd need new visual language to communicate the difference because you don't want your players to need to use the magnifying glass every time they forget what they zoned. The subtler the differences, the harder it is to communicate them to the player at a glance.

tbh I care much less about the realism level than I do about UX and fun. And frankly I don't think realism is a worthwhile selling point.
Plus, it means you're once again fixing the game to a singular paradigm, and disallowing experimentation. The advantage of specifying the restrictions independently is that you can build your own schemes that may or may not make sense but may better match what you personally know or maybe you just want to have some fun tormenting sims by allowing nightclubs everywhere.
And I maybe failed to communicate this but I meant policies as about what's allowed to be built, but doesn't mean it lets you instantly remove whatever fails to qualify for the new standards.

E: I'd absolutely hate a city builder without a dozer. We're talking about a game, dude.

e2: random thought. homeless population could be represented by having zero-$ residential popping up in undeveloped (and possibly unzoned) land and generally being a pain in the rear end to remove. kinda funny only tropico models that kinda stuff. (that I know of)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 2, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i was watching city planner and he started a retro series with sc4 and there are two things I forget i missed:

- Landfill zones. it makes way more sense! hopefully it gets picked up by whatever the next king of sim city mountain is.
- watching little dudes do construction :shobon:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The charm, personality, and visuals of SC4 and even the most recent SimCity are best in genre, imho.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'd have to give the nod to SC3K in those categories. Personality and charm that is. For visuals sure, SimShitty wins there if you're comparing to Skylines out of the box, though with mods Skylines can blow everything away visually.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Skylines aims for a style of realism that I find to be incredibly boring and bland, personally. Even with mods, everything feels very drab.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The SimCity 2000 style LUT is pretty cool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

The SimCity 2000 style LUT is pretty cool.

I'd kill for them to put in a proper isometric camera.

There is (or at least was) a mod for that but it made things pretty buggy, especially in terms of LoD models. Even so, it just made it charming:

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

- watching little dudes do construction :shobon:

Absolute best part of W&R hands down.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've decided to challenge myself by retrofitting an existing city with bike infrastructure. I was looking for advice on Biffa's channel but he is using Network Multitool, which I don't want to install on my current city because it's barely holding together as a two year old save with multiple mods.

Any advice for vanilla bike infrastructure added in after the fact?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That causes me great pain.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Confused me for a second, thought it was my belts in Factorio.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How'd you get your hands on one of my dozens of old cities!?

Also, partially related, what's a decent way to make two roads terminate into one like this?

I have all the usual mods that should let me wrangle it as needed (Move It/Road Anarchy/etc).

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

How'd you get your hands on one of my dozens of old cities!?

Also, partially related, what's a decent way to make two roads terminate into one like this?

I have all the usual mods that should let me wrangle it as needed (Move It/Road Anarchy/etc).

I've become a fan of looping a half circle to meet the 2-way road perpendicularly but hit the one ways straight on.

I wish we had more sunken overpass options. It's so difficult to make them.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

is it just me or are freight hub airports completely unmanageable traffic-wise? Add a long spur freeway, eight lanes in either direction, all the way to it and the fucker still backs all the way up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

mutata posted:

The charm, personality, and visuals of SC4 and even the most recent SimCity are best in genre, imho.

SC2016 had a lot of nice touches. I loved how you could expand buildings by plopping additional pieces.
It also looked really nice and the music was always great.
Shame the core systems were hosed.