Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

the_seventh_cohort posted:

That looks fantastic, especially the flames on the tilting shield and the bolter.

Thank you. I saw that FW brought back the old school flame bolter paint from back in the day and I couldn't say no. (I lucked out and picked up the first 3 black books for $30 because the person who put them up on ebay spelled Horus wrong so I'm just exploring the black books now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

First of all, lucky SOB. Second of all gooorgeous Word Bearer, dittoing the flames being cool af.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dang! That's a steal! Wel.cum to the heresy

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
For getting a deal like that, the rest of the thread gains Hatred (jadebullet). Goddamn is that a steal and a half!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finally dialed in my Alpha Legion blue. It's a bit more greenish in person, but I couldn't get that to come through in pictures.

Now I desperately need some transfers....

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Also remember that Line isn’t like Obsec (unless you’ve got Maloghurst). You need Line to score but anyone can deny scoring.

I thought there were 3 levels, scoring giving you the most points, denial units giving you some points and the rest (tanks basically) giving none?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
One thing I do like about the PDFs is the vibes of dragging all sorts of obsolete crap to plug gaps in the line.

And the whole bit about some of the stats being meant to cover generic class of vehicles rather than specific named models is probably just rear end covering for Macharius and Hammerfall users... but it's also license to go wild with Mortian and 3DP goodness.

Speaking of which, how do the the Malcadors look? Trash, OP, balanced?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Malcadors are no longer the worst tank in the game!

In general, big tanks and big cannons aren't in a good place this edition. They're better run with direct fire lascannons / autocannons, which makes them compete with things like HS squads or the Kratos.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

Malcadors are no longer the worst tank in the game!

In general, big tanks and big cannons aren't in a good place this edition. They're better run with direct fire lascannons / autocannons, which makes them compete with things like HS squads or the Kratos.

I'm gonna guess this confirms my fears IW are in a pretty bad place too.

Did stop at a much more distant store today (was already out traveling) that apparently has started a local scene. Rancid vibes and of the three games going (none 30k) maybe one had 20% of the models painted... but guess there's players on the very edge of what I'd consider feasible for travel, so I can actually think about what's practical now. (Alpha Legion is, unsurprisingly, quite well represented already, which puts a bit of a dent in that idea.)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Weird to me that Indomitus terminators seem to be a way to get (worse) stormshields and assault cannons to match the kits but not the missile launcher.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

moths posted:

I think this occupies the spot old deathwind drop pods would, so it's relatively consistent with the fluff.

Still sucks it's got new Aquilas moulded onto it, this would look sick with Eyes of Horus everywhere.

1/7 down! FotA is the dumbest idea I've ever loved.

That is a handsome Dreadnought

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm gonna guess this confirms my fears IW are in a pretty bad place too.

Did stop at a much more distant store today (was already out traveling) that apparently has started a local scene. Rancid vibes and of the three games going (none 30k) maybe one had 20% of the models painted... but guess there's players on the very edge of what I'd consider feasible for travel, so I can actually think about what's practical now. (Alpha Legion is, unsurprisingly, quite well represented already, which puts a bit of a dent in that idea.)

With a bunch of new players coming into the game, it will probably take until the end of the year for fully painted armies to become normalized. Unless you're playing grogs of course, we have tons of old stuff to play with.

IWs are actually in a very good place this edition. Despite the issues with artillery, they make up for it with solid rules across the board. Their artillery RoW is probably best reserved for narrative games, but everything else gives you the tools to make some pretty solid lists.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I see that the Arquitor has a phosphex entry for the bombard in the wargear section, but I can't find any place that actually says how you'd equip it with phosphex. Am I missing a rule somewhere?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

BULBASAUR posted:

With a bunch of new players coming into the game, it will probably take until the end of the year for fully painted armies to become normalized. Unless you're playing grogs of course, we have tons of old stuff to play with.

IWs are actually in a very good place this edition. Despite the issues with artillery, they make up for it with solid rules across the board. Their artillery RoW is probably best reserved for narrative games, but everything else gives you the tools to make some pretty solid lists.

Sorry, thought I clarified: none were 30K games. All 40K with old armies (a couple Chaos with pre-nu-TSons models, one Guard, and I think one Eldar). It's just a competitive-oriented store from the couple times I've asked around, and I've never seen one fully-painted army in ~6 years there of popping in a few times a year.

Good to know about IW.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Pinning Bolters absolutely slap; IW are in a great spot.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

GreenMarine posted:

I see that the Arquitor has a phosphex entry for the bombard in the wargear section, but I can't find any place that actually says how you'd equip it with phosphex. Am I missing a rule somewhere?
It's under the rules for the Siege Breaker consul since you can't equip Phosphex munitions without a Siege Breaker.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I don't have my copies of the rules yet....can someone confirm if anyone can take flamer squads, like in a Rhino or whatever, to hop out and spray sexy flames all over people?

I'm debating heavily between Salamanders and Death Guard. Both have amazing flamer rules and i just want to burn everything

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Double post

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I don't have my copies of the rules yet....can someone confirm if anyone can take flamer squads, like in a Rhino or whatever, to hop out and spray sexy flames all over people?

I'm debating heavily between Salamanders and Death Guard. Both have amazing flamer rules and i just want to burn everything

Tactical Support squads come with flamers by default, but can' fill compulsory troop slots without RoW.

The lada just discussed the sally RoW that makes them troops, but DG don't have that one.

Technically, the Reaping allows HEAVY Support as troops... With heavy flamers.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Tiny Chalupa posted:

To add to the posters above, any legion can take either a support squad of flamers or a heavy support squad of heavy flamers. Salamanders and DG have special flamers like you know. All of them I believe can take rhinos as dedicated transports, and you CAN disembark and shoot in the same turn. You count as having moved, but I think most of the flame weapons are Assault 1 so it shouldn't matter.

Also of note, Dark Angels have a unique unit that is equipped with plasma-flame guns that use flame templates with plasma stats

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So if pathfinder cents are the obvious useless cent, are there any other trap choices amongst generics?

Asking for a friend (and, I guess, me).

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

JcDent posted:

So if pathfinder cents are the obvious useless cent, are there any other trap choices amongst generics?

Asking for a friend (and, I guess, me).

Don't the special abilities confer to the unit theyre in? Or is it only some that confer

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

working mom posted:

Don't the special abilities confer to the unit theyre in? Or is it only some that confer

Only some confer to the unit , and some only work at all when ALL models in the unit have them.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
If the Heresy train HAD breaks, they'd never work anyway because the mechanicum doesn't perform the right chants.

The who squad

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

working mom posted:

it's a little ambiguous, but it looks like a legion pathfinder might be able to allow any unit it can join to infiltrate.

The infiltrate special rule only needs one model in the unit to have it, but I'm looking closely at the rule for how independent characters join units:

quote:

An Independent Character can begin the game already
with a unit, either by being deployed in unit coherency
with it or, if the unit is in Reserve, by you informing your
opponent which unit it has joined.

Does this mean that the character and unit are technically deployed separately, therefore you can't infiltrate the unit? And does that change in mission 2 where you have to deploy HQs separately from other unit types?

Personally I would like it if pathfinders worked that way, because it seems thematic and fun for them to be able to sneak other units around. they find paths!

*starts ringing the FAQ bell*

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
You could deploy with the unit, allowing it infiltrate. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to put Independent Characters in Dedicated Transports with the unit that purchased them, which you absolutely can.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Hey, speaking of that.

Page 309 of the main rulebook: "When deploying their armies, players can choose not to deploy some of their units, keeping them in Reserve to arrive later."

So, putting a unit in reserve doesn't count as deploying it; it's something you can do instead of deploying it. Which, technically, means that any rule that says you can deploy this or that in this or that way shouldn't apply to putting units in reserve.

How many probably-intended modes of play does this gently caress up? Are there probably-intended-to-be-legal lists you could reasonably expect to come up against an opponent fielding and then completely destroy by insisting on this read and then winning a roll-off to see whose rules interpretation gets to take precedence this game?

(The one that I came up with was, Infiltrate on a troops unit conveys Infiltrate on its Dedicated Transport, which means you can do an Outflank with a unit of Raven Guard dudes in a rhino, unless you can construct some sort of super legalistic argument about how embarkation is a function of how units are deployed and since units in reserve aren't deployed, they're also not embarked, which means the rhino doesn't get Infiltrate and so isn't eligible to Outflank from reserves.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 4, 2022

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Ristolaz posted:

it's a little ambiguous, but it looks like a legion pathfinder might be able to allow any unit it can join to infiltrate.

The infiltrate special rule only needs one model in the unit to have it, but I'm looking closely at the rule for how independent characters join units:

Does this mean that the character and unit are technically deployed separately, therefore you can't infiltrate the unit? And does that change in mission 2 where you have to deploy HQs separately from other unit types?

Personally I would like it if pathfinders worked that way, because it seems thematic and fun for them to be able to sneak other units around. they find paths!

*starts ringing the FAQ bell*

Doesn’t the infiltrate special rule have a rider saying Independent Characters with infiltrate can’t join units that don’t have it?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Major Spag posted:

If the Heresy train HAD breaks, they'd never work anyway because the mechanicum doesn't perform the right chants.

Did you kitbash these? I love them.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Gato The Elder posted:

Doesn’t the infiltrate special rule have a rider saying Independent Characters with infiltrate can’t join units that don’t have it?

Nope. Many other rules do though

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Please, sirs. What are trap units/options for a newbie to avoid so as not to sour themselves on a new game?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tactical support squads

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Any vehicle.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

JcDent posted:

Please, sirs. What are trap units/options for a newbie to avoid so as not to sour themselves on a new game?

Loyalists

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

JcDent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlxcFMbQEHg

This is a good rundown, the only "bad" centurion he thinks is the armistos and its not even that bad

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Asking bout stuff outside consuls as well.

My friend is torn, and I can't just tell him "when in doubt, plasma and AC" because that's my answer to anywthing.

Ofc, as a DG player, I have Gets Hot! Flamers, so those are also an option.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JcDent posted:

Asking bout stuff outside consuls as well.

My friend is torn, and I can't just tell him "when in doubt, plasma and AC" because that's my answer to anywthing.

Ofc, as a DG player, I have Gets Hot! Flamers, so those are also an option.

There isn't a lot of stuff that is obviously bad, and it depends on the legion too. Plasma pistols and heavy flamers aren't very useful based on cost and places you can equip them. I dunno, there isn't a very long list of trap choices.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The four cult legions wouldn't be wearing Chaos symbols and modern colors until after their primarchs ascended to Daemonhood in late Heresy, right?

Basically when do World Eaters go red and Thousand Sons blue, EC pink, and DG green?

It doesn't seem like 40k bits would show up until the Solar War. Which makes me think that's getting a book at some point, probably after Angron and Fulgrim ascended figures.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

The four cult legions wouldn't be wearing Chaos symbols and modern colors until after their primarchs ascended to Daemonhood in late Heresy, right?

Basically when do World Eaters go red and Thousand Sons blue, EC pink, and DG green?

It doesn't seem like 40k bits would show up until the Solar War. Which makes me think that's getting a book at some point, probably after Angron and Fulgrim ascended figures.

From some cursory searching & memory:
World Eaters started to change over during the Shadow Crusade.
Thousand Sons have multiple conflicting sources for when their scheme changed, the most recent one I'm aware of is that it was simultaneous with the Rubric.
Death Guard armor isn't repainted, it's just that gross, so after Typhus pulls his poo poo.
I have no clue when the Emperor's Children changed theirs over.

Happy to be corrected if I'm remembering any of these wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's probably a very satisfying video of power washing a deathguard down to his pre heresy armor. Yuk.

In Fulgrim, some of the EC legionnaires have started painting patterns and designs on their armor, so around Istvaan wouldn't be a bad place to start that.

I feel like this is the most nebulous area of lore. House Taranis started blue, then painted their armor Red in honor of Mars joining the Imperium, but are blue again in AT and then paint Red after being nearly annihilated in the Heresy. There's probably no real answer.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 4, 2022