Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

That's not a huge change, imo. You mostly wanted to LB at high HP anyways to take advantage of the huge cleave.

The only big changes from the patch are the BLM and AST nerfs, further reducing the amount of crowd control. BLM's nerf to ice is especially devastating, since you only get the stun at max stacks now, it's down to 2s, and the heavy/bind are much less useful than a raw stun, even if just for a secomd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Every pvp change looks reasonable to me. Thank goodness for the BLM and AST nerfs in particular.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Why does summoner and white mage get to be big king poo poo but blm can't ever be better than other classes

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Forgot about that 24 hour patch.

And here I am up early with nothin' to do. Makes me wonder how they chose the 4th for the maintenance. Surely someone overlooked that it was a holiday in the states?

Hollow Gaunt fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 4, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tamba posted:

Patch notes are up
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c9a406ea32e9be602e61a9e396b94ae0a5917aee

yeah, I'm sure that will fix Frontline (they have not added a maximum number of targets to aoe skills in PVP)

Literally everybody is taking less damage after this patch. :shrug:

The actual big Frontlines change seems to be slower LB charging, so there will be less Bahamuts.

This one also makes White Mages a bit less absurd, since they can't just point at an enemy melee or tank and say "delete that one" as easily.

quote:

An issue when participating in Frontline campaigns wherein players under the effect of the white mage action Miracle of Nature were no longer affected by PvP damage modifiers.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 4, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Tamba posted:

Patch notes are up
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/c9a406ea32e9be602e61a9e396b94ae0a5917aee

yeah, I'm sure that will fix Frontline (they have not added a maximum number of targets to aoe skills in PVP)

Nor should they.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Literally everybody is taking less damage after this patch. :shrug:

The actual big Frontlines change seems to be slower LB charging, so there will be less Bahamuts.

This one also makes White Mages a bit less absurd, since they can't just point at an enemy melee or tank and say "delete that one" as easily.

The damage reduction just means you need an extra Bahamut to completely wipe the enemy team (maybe two for melee), it does not solve the actual problem

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010
4 or 5 players blowing their limit breaks at the same time should be able to massacre a clump of enemies. That’s core to the pvp design. Summoners are more annoying about it because they accumulate battle high, it charges fast, and can be cast instantly from range.

Tweaking those factors until 5 Bahamuts aren’t any more common than 2 dragoon jumps, an eventide, a bahamut, and a white mage laser should be the goal of balance. Not completely removing the concept of coordinating limit break use with your allies.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
It's nice that they're tweaking Frontlines separately to make the differences less stark but it's always going to be out of whack. It's not the competitive mode, and Squeenix are not primarily trying to balance jobs for 24v24v24 in PvP any more than they're balancing jobs in PvE for their performance in 4-mans. The ~optimal~ Frontline comp is always likely to be something like BRD + 7 ranged du jour (and maybe an AST) because of how the team size difference and FFA style impact the "balanced" 5v5 setup.

Fortunately winning in Frontlines is mostly unimportant, mostly random, and mostly out of your control, so don't worry too much about it and enjoy the zerg.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Unironically, the fix to Frontlines is to just mothball it and rework it into something else entirely.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Tamba posted:

The damage reduction just means you need an extra Bahamut to completely wipe the enemy team (maybe two for melee), it does not solve the actual problem

In a mode where communicating is already rare, getting another player or two to switch jobs and coordinate is a Huge ask. So yes, it does solve the problem for quite a significant chunk of playbase

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Xerophyte posted:

It's nice that they're tweaking Frontlines separately to make the differences less stark but it's always going to be out of whack. It's not the competitive mode, and Squeenix are not primarily trying to balance jobs for 24v24v24 in PvP any more than they're balancing jobs in PvE for their performance in 4-mans. The ~optimal~ Frontline comp is always likely to be something like BRD + 7 ranged du jour (and maybe an AST) because of how the team size difference and FFA style impact the "balanced" 5v5 setup.

Fortunately winning in Frontlines is mostly unimportant, mostly random, and mostly out of your control, so don't worry too much about it and enjoy the zerg.

I just wish Frontlines actually was influencable, because as it stands it's just a crapshoot.

I'd also accept them giving another way to get the Field Commander's Coat, or a reskin. If it's ultimately a bunch of random nonsense where winning isn't important, then don't lock a sweet-rear end coat behind actually winning the thing a hundred times.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

No highland paritions :argh:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Cleretic posted:

I just wish Frontlines actually was influencable, because as it stands it's just a crapshoot.

I'd also accept them giving another way to get the Field Commander's Coat, or a reskin. If it's ultimately a bunch of random nonsense where winning isn't important, then don't lock a sweet-rear end coat behind actually winning the thing a hundred times.

:yeah:

in other news, I had cause to remember the 'kan-e-senna broke my character's dad's kneecaps' guy today. Wonder if he's still playing.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

found his lodestone and it looks like yes, since he has multiple classes at 90 and the 6.0 MSQ mount.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lol they keep buffing GNB by just making number bigger on it and we've now reached the point where you can do like 44k damage in the span of two GCDs on it

Robo Reagan posted:

or play Crystal Project it seems to rule so far

I just finished getting 100% achievements in this game the other day, it's seriously the best single-player jRPG I've played in years

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Leraika posted:

in other news, I had cause to remember the 'kan-e-senna broke my character's dad's kneecaps' guy today. Wonder if he's still playing.

if not i like to imagine kan-e-senna found him and finished the job

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tell me about that guy

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Tell me about that guy

It's this guy from the official forums https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/402607-Is-it-okay-for-me-to-not-get-my-job-crystal-for-rp-reasons

quote:

Is it okay for me to not get my job crystal for rp reasons?

My character is a conjurer but they're not interested in becoming a white mage because of something that happened in their childhood. Is it okay if I just play as my class instead? I'll miss out on a few abilities but I should be able to heal stuff, right?

The ARR site says that classes are for people who want more flexibility in their playstyle. So they should be a valid option too? Instead of getting the job crystal.

quote:

my character's father was beaten to within an inch of his life by a padjal for cutting down a tree he wasn't supposed to in the shroud.

quote:

the padjal used his staff and broke both of his dad's kneecaps. So now dad can't work and my character has had to do a lot of things they regret to support his mom and baby brothers and sisters.

quote:

It was Kan-E-Senna that did it

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Lmfao that is really good.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Factum est posted:

Forgot about that 24 hour patch.

And here I am up early with nothin' to do. Makes me wonder how they chose the 4th for the maintenance. Surely someone overlooked that it was a holiday in the states?

They stick to a fairly stringent patch schedule no matter what may get in the way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Kan-E-Senna looking down at her siblings, moments before busting this dude's kneecaps

"Aren't you tired of being nice? Don't you just wanna go apeshit?"

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 4, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

“The elementals say he had an Ala Mhigan grandfather, so it’s okay”

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's even better because they caved in for the unicorn mount except unicorn is a conjurer thing, no need for the job.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Regalingualius posted:

“The elementals say he had an Ala Mhigan grandfather, so it’s okay”

Duskwights and "poachers" are also cruising for a bruising.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SettingSun posted:

They stick to a fairly stringent patch schedule no matter what may get in the way.

Yup. I think they did the math and figured that the inconvenience of Americans not being able to play on a holiday didn't outweigh the financial cost of having to push back an already pushed back maintenance and server upgrade schedule. They've still got NA worlds to implement after EU and JP get theirs, and telling the server guys to cool their heels an extra week for the benefit of a single day isn't conducive to getting back on track.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Something incredible to me about this is that the site he linked to to justify it from a gameplay perspective (https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/a_realm_reborn/game/#!/armoury) was horribly out of date then and is still up somehow. How did he even find this?? Why does this snapshot of what the game was like in 2013 still exist?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's a shame The FF14 team went on with normal business during an international holiday. The whole world celebrates America's birthday and these workers in Japan weren't even given the day off!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Something incredible to me about this is that the site he linked to to justify it from a gameplay perspective (https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/a_realm_reborn/game/#!/armoury) was horribly out of date then and is still up somehow. How did he even find this?? Why does this snapshot of what the game was like in 2013 still exist?

As for how they found it, that's the official promo page for ARR that's linked on the website's front page.
Why is it still up with pure un-updated ARR info? lol, lmao.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gruckles posted:

As for how they found it, that's the official promo page for ARR that's linked on the website's front page.
Why is it still up with pure un-updated ARR info? lol, lmao.

wow you're right

lmao indeed

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

They're probably worried that with the level of spaghetti code, if they delete that website then hats will stop working in game or something

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It's always a little bit annoying when I read this, because in my experience Frontlines is the most influenceable out of the three PvP modes. I've seen plenty of matches pushed from 3rd place due to a good shot caller wrangling the team into key positions and keeping them aware of the battlefield with macros. Obviously it's not guaranteed - nothing about PvP is - but even in a match with no one taking charge you can help guide people by calling out situations like an incoming pincer from the other two teams.

It's fine if you don't want to - I don't, typically - but to not and then say there's no way to influence a match sucks rear end.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I have a nearly 40% Frontlines 3rd place rate, so I can assure you that Frontlines is influenceable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got an FL win finally yesterday, breaking an 11-game not-winning streak (8 of which were 3rd place)! KDA was 2-2-9 as MCH, I set up so many kills with slighly-miscalculated LBs...

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even people who do the "absolutely nothing you can do influences frontlines" thing seem to admit that queuing with your friends can influence the outcome, that just doesn't count for whatever reason

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vitamean posted:

It's always a little bit annoying when I read this, because in my experience Frontlines is the most influenceable out of the three PvP modes. I've seen plenty of matches pushed from 3rd place due to a good shot caller wrangling the team into key positions and keeping them aware of the battlefield with macros. Obviously it's not guaranteed - nothing about PvP is - but even in a match with no one taking charge you can help guide people by calling out situations like an incoming pincer from the other two teams.

It's fine if you don't want to - I don't, typically - but to not and then say there's no way to influence a match sucks rear end.

Look, they did nothing and it didn't work, what do you expect from them?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Was the most recent PLL translated live or should I just watch a recap video from someone?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tamba posted:

(they have not added a maximum number of targets to aoe skills in PVP)

why would they do that

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

I have a nearly 40% Frontlines 3rd place rate, so I can assure you that Frontlines is influenceable.

same

My week of frontlines was 0 1st place, 0 2nd place, 7 3rd place, and that's not atypical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Augus posted:

why would they do that

Because you can carpet bomb enemy team with Bahamuts