Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jabor posted:

Have you considered inviting fewer people so that you can afford the catering for all of them.

quote:

Have fewer guests if you can’t afford to feed them

OP posted:

Tell that to my wife.

welp, guess there's nothing that can be done :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

If you really don't want to or can't pay for proper food make sure everybody knows that and give plenty of time between the ceremony and the party so they can stop and grab something.

Or, ya know, don't host a party that's long enough where people need to eat if you can't afford to properly feed them.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess you could go the Disney-couple route of having the wedding somewhere with restaurants nearby, and telling all the guests that food will be "available".

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

greazeball posted:

How the hell does that add up to $30/plate with Publix catering?

When one of the people sent to do the order lets slip it is for a wedding.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Have all the guest tables placed in an empty pool, bride and groom dress as caesars and occasionally give a thumbs down so the MOH can throw an angry cat in there.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Electric Wrigglies posted:

When one of the people sent to do the order lets slip it is for a wedding.

What have you done.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for cancelling the family trip after I found out that my wife cancelled my son's ticket?

quote:

Situation is a bit messy so bear with me.

I M42 have two boys, Adam 16 & Leo 14. Their mom passed away 5 years ago and I married my wife Rose about a year ago. Rose adores both of my boys but complains about Leo being overly uptight and closed up. It's true that he likes to keep to himself, doesn't participate in most family functions but that's just how he is. My wife has taken it personally and kept saying that Leo clearly doesn't like her and/or doesn't like spending time with her.

What she started doing was try to exclude him from events under the excuse of "he wouldn't be I interested anyway" which I thought was wrong because he's picked up on that and started asking why. So I told my wife to just do herpart and that giving him the choice to decide whether he wants to participate or not and not outright exclude him.

I'd been arranging for a family trip and days ago I booked tickets/hotel reservation upon deciding our destination. Note that I was paying for the entire thing. But the day of the trip I found out that Leo's ticket had been cancelled, I was dumbfounded to discover it was my wife who cancelled it, I immediately confronted her and she said she figured Leo wouldn't want to come but she knew he said he'd go, she tried to argue that due to his "moody personality and introvert nature" he'd change his mind last minute or go on thd trip but turn it into a miserable experience for us all. I got so mad at her especially after she tried pressuring me to leave him with his aunt. I cance.led the entire trip, all tickets, all reservations everything. She blew up at me and started lashing out. I had the boys unpack and I did the same which made her go crazy and yell at everyone in the house. She went to stay with her sister while exposing what I did to the rest of the family who thought I made a big deal out of it and should've cancelled the trip that I promised the while family.

1#Edit. format and mistakes, I'm so sorry for those.

2#Edit. I am planning another trip with the boys (without my wife) but right now there's huge conflict in the family and even Adam is upset and blames Leo for what happened. I'm trying to get everyone to calm down then we'll see where this goes.

3#Edit. I've decided (and following some opinions here) to speak to Adam to see exactly why he blames Leo for what happened. He just got home and I'm about to get him into a seperate room for a private talk to be able to hear his side in this and find out why he feels this way. If there's any relevant information I will add it below.

4#Edit. I spoke with Adam. Turns out, Rose told him I cancelled the trip after Leo changed his mind "last minute" and that I decided to cancel it for everyone else and fought with her when she tried to convince me to go anyway and let Leo go stay with his aunt. This is just....I don't know what to say to be frankly honest. Adam didn't even want to talk but I told him we needed to talk. He and Leo aren't speaking right now because of this and I'm struggling trying to clean up this mess. I was actually thinking about calling Rose but after this I've decided I need more space than she does. I will have the boys sit together (it's hard to do it but I'll try) and talk this put so I can focus on the other major issue I have with what Rose did.

quote:

Rose adores both of my boys

does she, now

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
WIBTA for taking my girlfriend’s sister with me to comic con when my girlfriend is fighting with her?

quote:

Currently my GF and her sister, Meg are not on speaking terms. I’ll spare you the details but my GF basically feels like Meg was always the golden child and that their parents always favored her and that Meg always held this over her and made her feel lesser. She has a whole complex around that (and she’s in therapy for it) and it often causes arguments between them, which is what’s happening now.

Anyways, Meg and I have plans to go to San Diego international comic con later this month and I would still like to go with her. We have a ton of fun things planned. We’re gong to seaworld, legoland, a nice Japanese steakhouse we’ve both been looking forward to going to and a ton of other fun things. We’ve been planning the trip for a few months and I don’t think the fact that my GF is mad at Meg means I can’t go on the trip.

I totally understand my GF’s feelings and I support her in that, I just think I should be allowed to remain friends with Meg on my own.

WIBTA if I still go with her?

In comments OP says his gf was fine with the trip until now. Nope, she isn't going.

AITA for threatening to not let my daughters Grandmother back into my home if she picks my daughter up?

quote:

I am a single mother to an 11 year old girl who has achondroplasia, for those of you who don't know what that means she is a little person. Her bio-father couldn't cope with this and left me when she was only a few weeks old and hasn't seen her since. If he can't cope with this it's for the best so don't hate on him and he has never been late with or missed a child support payment so there is that at least.

He isn't involved but his parents are and have been since the start, she is their only Grandchild so they want to be a part of her life. They tried to get him to come see her sometimes for the first few years but have given up at this stage. I love her grandparents and they have been a lot of help as she grows up.

The issue is her Grandmother keeps picking up my daughter when she sees her to give her a hug or help her reach something. My daughter didn't mind this when she was younger, even liked it but as she got older she has expressed discomfort to me over people picking her up which is understandable, she's growing up and isn't a baby anymore. I don't pick her up unless she asks me to do so which is very rare.

The same day she told me this I called her Grandparents to tell them to not do this again unless she ask. Her Grandmother was upset by this and told me that it was only for hugs or to help her and she'd never said anything about being uncomfortable to her. I explained she wouldn't as she loves her and is wouldn't want to upset her so i'm doing it. I stressed to please not do this from now on. I thought i'd gotten an agreement from her but the next time they visited she picked her up to give her a hug hello. Once my daughter took her Grandfather to go see her Lego's I pulled her Grandmother into the other room and told her that i'd told her not to do that, she said she couldn't help it and it wasn't hurting. I told her if it was making my daughter uncomfortable she was hurting her. I then told her if she did this again she wouldn't be allowed in my house again.

She was understandably upset by this and i hated having to set such a firm line but I wasn't sure what else to do. She seems to be under the impression i'm trying to stop her showing affection to my daughter which i'm not she can still hug her if my daughter wants it just not pick her up.

My Daughters Grandfather has called me today to say his wife keeps crying and is upset thinking i'm trying to cut her out slowly, I tried to explain the situation but honestly I feel horrible.

I know I did the right thing in making it clear she cannot pick my daughter up that is not what i'm doubting here, I just feel bad about setting that kind of threat up. I just don't know what else I could have done when I set a line already and she crossed it, maybe I should have stressed it again before going to a threat?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Uncle Enzo posted:

Hell there doesn't even need to be an actual loss. My 6 year old has taken a cue from movies and crafted himself a tragic backstory. His mom and I are alive.

You see, his parents were explorers but they fell afoul of the three dangers of the seven seas: storms, octopuses, and pirates. Then he was lost and he needs to find a way to get back to his real parents. When he sees a picture, that's where his parents live. When he saw a recorder, he picked it up and informed me it was a horn his father had gotten him and when he played it, it would lead his father back to him. Unfortunately my child's parents are dead, just like batman's.

Just hope your son doesn’t also turn you gay in this tragic backstory, because then he will turn you into these forums.

“What happened to your dad?”
“He died to octopus pirates, because he couldn’t stop laughing at giant pig’s balls.”

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA for taking my girlfriend’s sister with me to comic con when my girlfriend is fighting with her?

In comments OP says his gf was fine with the trip until now. Nope, she isn't going.

It's hard to say given the lack of details, but even if the girlfriend is being completely unreasonable here it doesn't matter. His choices are supporting her or ending the relationship.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for exposing my dad to the family after he tried to portray my brother as a bad father and son?

quote:

My siblings (24M, 22F) and I (26M) were raised by a single dad (45M), our dad was great, he was loving, and caring and always put us first, because of this we never missed our deadbeat mom. My dad even sacrificed his love life though, he never dated anyone.

My brother (24M) disowned our dad around 3 years ago, for a reason I’d also disown him, to be honest. My brother found our dad and his then-girlfriend (27 now) “doing it”, thus my brother got mad at my dad and cut him off, moved out of the house, and went to live with some friends.

No matter how hard my dad has tried to apologise, and reach out to him, my brother ignores him, my dad has suffered a lot 'cause of this and has gotten mad at us many times since my sister and I know where my brother lives (We’ve visited him a couple of times) and he demands we let him know, but we can’t because my brother threatens that if we ever tell him he’ll go NC with us.

The thing is that this woman got pregnant with twins but she didn’t feel like being a mom so she left them to my dad, my dad tells everyone that he is raising his grandkids (he swears they are my brother’s but I’m sure they are his since my brother says he used protection).

The kids turned 2M a couple of days ago and he hosted a small party, so my uncle started asking about my brother (as the kids’ father since no one in the family knew what happened) so my dad started talking sh*t about my brother saying that he was an ungrateful son and a terrible father for leaving two kids behind (I think my dad is angry at my brother for not forgiving him) as everyone in the family sees my dad as an example for the sacrifices he did, they started talking sh*t about my brother.

I love y dad with my whole heart and I’d do anything for that man (I know all my siblings would) but he tried to portray my brother as a bad guy and I love my brother so I told him: “He wouldn’t have disowned you if you hadn’t f*cked his girlfriend and got her pregnant” everyone looked at him and he tried to excuse his actions but everyone told him to fck off.

They’ve called my brother to apologise but my dad is angry at me, he says this is a family matter and I should’ve kept my mouth shut, my wife says I did the right thing but my sister is on my dad's side.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's hard to say given the lack of details, but even if the girlfriend is being completely unreasonable here it doesn't matter. His choices are supporting her or ending the relationship.

I mean it does kinda sound like he has prospects with someone he's more compatible with

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I mean it does kinda sound like he has prospects with someone he's more compatible with

Which I'm sure has nothing at all to do with the reason the sisters are fighting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean he implies he knows exactly why she’s angry and that ain’t it

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for taking the cake I baked for my fiance's birthday and going home?

since often times, she doesn't really mean to be malicious.

This is another amazing line that keeps popping up in these stories. This idea that someone can constantly insult someone yet those insults are not malicious? I really want to hear a few of them and what excuses he would come up with to justify it.

Of course the dude and his mom suck and he showed his true colors when she left.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hughlander posted:

AITA for exposing my dad to the family after he tried to portray my brother as a bad father and son?

he says this is a family matter and I should’ve kept my mouth shut,

Haha, what?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

limp_cheese posted:

This is another amazing line that keeps popping up in these stories. This idea that someone can constantly insult someone yet those insults are not malicious? I really want to hear a few of them and what excuses he would come up with to justify it.

Of course the dude and his mom suck and he showed his true colors when she left.

i always wonder how these people would like it if it was their partners constantly insulting and belittling them, instead of mom or whoever insulting their partners. somehow i don't think they'd handle it well

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hughlander posted:

My brother found our dad and his then-girlfriend (27 now) “doing it”, thus my brother got mad at my dad and cut him off, moved out of the house, and went to live with some friends.

At first I misread this line as being the dad's girlfriend and thought it was a really extreme version of the "my single parent isn't allowed to have any other romantic relationships" deal.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Foo Diddley posted:

i always wonder how these people would like it if it was their partners constantly insulting and belittling them, instead of mom or whoever insulting their partners. somehow i don't think they'd handle it well

Unless a behaviour affects me (the main character of life), it shouldn't count.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for judging my son and his wife for deciding to have a home birth with the dogs in the house?

quote:

I'm 45f, I have a young son 22m and he's been with his wife 22f since they were 15. They got engaged and married in late 2021 and now they're expecting their first child.

My daughter in law had 2 dogs and they got a third one with my son when they moved in together. I'm not a huge fan of dogs but I don't hate them. I just dislike the obsession people have with them.

Anyway to the point. My daughter in law has contacted a midwife and a doctor for a home birth. When I found out about this I expressed my concerns to my son and I told him how I think it's irresponsible and unsanitary to give birth to a house full of dog hair and they better safely go to the hospital.

My son said that's their choice and how his wife feels comfortable and we don't get to judge her for her choice. I tried to convince him and also his wife that it's safer to go to a hospital and how I can't really support that choice they're making.

She started crying and yelling that I'm stressing her out and how nobody asked for my opinion in the first place. My son backed her up. AITA for what I said to them?

In comments:

quote:

I offered to clean the house with my daughter in laws mom. I also suggested to my son that until the baby reaches a certain age then her parents or another loved one should keep the dogs for safety and health reasons. I'm trying to help them out and offer safe and healthy solutions but they just see me as someone hostile. When I'm just trying to look out for them.
The doctor and midwife will be ok with this since they're getting paid. This is my son, daughter and my future grandchild and I have more of an emotional bond to them that a stranger doctor does.
And it was still very dangerous and unsanitary. My own mother had a home birth on 3 of her kids. One of them didn't make it because it was an unclean unsanitary environment.
:therapy:
I wouldn't ever have done a homebirth myself because (A) emergencies and (B) I wanted somebody else to wash the sheets. But people get to make up their own minds.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for judging my son and his wife for deciding to have a home birth with the dogs in the house?

In comments:

:therapy:
I wouldn't ever have done a homebirth myself because (A) emergencies and (B) I wanted somebody else to wash the sheets. But people get to make up their own minds.

"until the baby reaches a certain age"? is OP suggesting that her son and his wife get rid of the dogs for several years?

gay frog chemicals
May 27, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The idea that someone could gently caress his sons girlfriend and literally get her pregnant and have kids with her and then lie about it to the rest of the family in the presence of someone who knows the truth and expect to get away with it is just amazing to me. That dude hosed up just about as badly as you possibly could and he expects to be allowed to talk poo poo unchallenged?

Just amazing lol

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So this woman is for sure convinced one of the dogs will try eating the baby.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Foo Diddley posted:

"until the baby reaches a certain age"? is OP suggesting that her son and his wife get rid of the dogs for several years?

Yup.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

gay frog chemicals posted:

The idea that someone could gently caress his sons girlfriend and literally get her pregnant and have kids with her and then lie about it to the rest of the family in the presence of someone who knows the truth and expect to get away with it is just amazing to me. That dude hosed up just about as badly as you possibly could and he expects to be allowed to talk poo poo unchallenged?

Just amazing lol

Reboot of Flowers in the Attic prequel-sequel interesting. But yeah the brass on that loving dude.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

gay frog chemicals posted:

Just amazing lol

Holy hell that one's wild, yeah. As always, I have to wonder what's going on with onlookers the sister having different opinions, like, they're just ready to roll with it?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

With all the risks involved with childbirth, I’ll never understand the willingness of first time moms to roll the dice so casually. Dogs and dog hair are nothing compared to a medical emergency.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

limp_cheese posted:

So this woman is for sure convinced one of the dogs will try eating the baby.

Family must have roots in Australia

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

With all the risks involved with childbirth, I’ll never understand the willingness of first time moms to roll the dice so casually. Dogs and dog hair are nothing compared to a medical emergency.

From my own experience people willing to do this seem to be highly correlated with anti science, anti vax and all the other things that float around in those orbits. And also seem apt to lean very woo woo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There is no situation my essential oils can't address, why if you have a bit of preeclampsia just put a bit of hawthorn supreme under your tongue and you'll be right as rain for another couple days of labor

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

From my own experience people willing to do this seem to be highly correlated with anti science, anti vax and all the other things that float around in those orbits. And also seem apt to lean very woo woo.
Yeah. See also "freebirthing", which means absolutely nobody trained present at all. Outliers aside, a lot depends on your tolerance for risk; most of the time, birth goes great, or at least well enough that there's time to head for the hospital if things aren't going right. Again, I personally didn't roll those dice.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for telling a friend that her adoptive child's name change would be STUPID?

quote:

So, I'm not sure how to even start this. I'm decent friends with former co-workers. We have hung out over time etc. I get invited to events and stuff, and a group of friends from the company and I video chat when we all have time. I was excited when I got added to this group because I'm very awkward and not sure how to make adult friends due to being extremely sheltered well into adulthood. I occasionally babysit for everyone if they need me, pretty much free right now since I quit my job.

My (30F) former coworker "Kayla"(F42) and her husband "Scott" (50M) were looking into adopting a child through foster care, for roughly 3-4 years. They finally did manage to adopt a little boy, after fostering him for about 4 years. named "John". He's a nice kid, he's maybe 6ish now.

Kayla mentioned in a recent video call, that she was thinking of changing Johns's name because it's too common a name, and just not very interesting.

When asked what she was thinking, she said the name VANILLA

Everyone laughed, but Kayla wasn't laughing at all and stated she was serious. She thought it was a great name.

JOHN IS A MIXED CHILD. I told her that was a stupid name, especially if she's gonna continue living in SMALL TOWN, America. And one of my other co-workers asked if John even knew she was thinking about changing his name.

She looked upset and stated that NO she didn't- because he is hers now.

I told her in a not-so-nice fashion, that her naming JOHN "Vanilla" was STUPID and Would More than likely cause him issues when he was growing up, and have issues when he's OLDER. IT's better to KEEP IT JOHN. OR ASK IF JOHN EVEN WANTS A NAME CHANGE.

She called me selfish for ruining this moment for her, she should be able to name her baby anything she wants BECAUSE JOHN IS HERS. AND that I CAN'T BABYSIT ANY MORE. (lol okay?)

I again told her in a not-so-nice way -That children aren't property and she can gently caress when she needs me to babysit when she has to stay late at the office next week if she wants to make threats about babysitting. (Which to be honest I don't understand, I tell everyone I tolerate their children as a favor it's not going to hurt me to not be asked to babysit for free)

The group seems split, some are siding with me- and then the others are telling me I'm too harsh with her and that maybe she just wants the mother experience of naming her child what she wanted.

She's going around and telling everyone that I called her child stupid and refusing to babysit for her for changing the name of her child? I'm not sure if I really did something wrong, but I feel bad about it. No one can really tell me why she's acting this way, so I really don't know if I'm in the wrong,

Sorry Mistakes, I am dyslexic and working on improving with a browser program.

I believe I may be the rear end in a top hat because I probably could have told her in a nicer way, and not threatened to NOT babysit her child anymore when she and her husband need the overtime.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Oh you're still parenting a vanilla child? Let me send you a few links to ModDB for a more hardcore experience.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jesus, I hate renaming children old enough to know their own names. People do it with foreign adoptees all the drat time. No. John knows that he is John and it's going to be horrible for him to be Jason, far less Vanilla.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Maybe "Vanilla" is like "Indigo Lite"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Compromise and call him Va-John-a.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Jesus, I hate renaming children old enough to know their own names. People do it with foreign adoptees all the drat time. No. John knows that he is John and it's going to be horrible for him to be Jason, far less Vanilla.

It's so loving stupid. What selfish rear end parents.

*walking up to my 9yo*

Yeah you're Khaleesi now, deal with it

Beachcomber posted:

Compromise and call him Va-John-a.

:vince:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Six years old is like the perfect age if you really want to instill some deep seated childhood traumas too, and his poor child brain has already had years to form his identity as "John". loving hell, this one is grim.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Motronic posted:

While this is somewhat true, there are legit, evidence-based reasons to avoid hospitals if you're expecting a pretty straightforward birth. Of course, having a midwife and a plan for if things go pear-shaped is pretty important.

(My favourite freebirthing woo was the podcaster convinced that ultrasound was harmful to babies. For reasons.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Funktastic posted:

AITA for telling a friend that her adoptive child's name change would be STUPID?

quote:

And one of my other co-workers asked if John even knew she was thinking about changing his name.

She looked upset and stated that NO she didn't- because he is hers now.

no, why would i discuss things with my property? it's not like it gets any say in my decision