Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
god I'm getting giddy over dfo poo poo again. It's so nostalgic. It's been 13 years since I first played it. Doubt it has much goon presence anymore but I hope the goon guild is still around. My biggest contribution to it was being the source of the silly "Restrain yourself" meme joke that the guild named itself after.

Fond memories of that game. Still the best f2p korean mmorpg. Not a high bar to clear but it's still such a good game, at least on a casual playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I figured out what was wrong with Doom Eternal, and they fixed it! You just need Samuel Hayden around being the horrified straight man as Doomguy just ignores his protests and does whatever the gently caress he wants.

:neckbeard:

I mean... some might say it's because I upgraded a bunch of abilities and health and the game became more fun because of that, but I'm pretty sure it's because the robo-nerd is getting dunked on! :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I figured out what was wrong with Doom Eternal, and they fixed it! You just need Samuel Hayden around being the horrified straight man as Doomguy just ignores his protests and does whatever the gently caress he wants.

OBJECTIVE
Shoot A Hole In Mars

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hwurmp posted:

OBJECTIVE
Shoot A Hole In Mars

Samuel: If you'll get to a telepor.... that's not a teleporter, that's a gun..... :cripes:
Doomguy loading himself into the gun and pointing it at the remains of the station he blew up: t:mad:t

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jerusalem posted:

:neckbeard:

I mean... some might say it's because I upgraded a bunch of abilities and health and the game became more fun because of that, but I'm pretty sure it's because the robo-nerd is getting dunked on! :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u1H0gltsbw

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Kerrzhe posted:

, who is apparently an NPC from a very old DFO quest,

I was really hoping that this was referring to G.S.D.

:rip: you useless idiot who always got stuck in sky tower

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14 is down for maintainence what do I do with my life now :negative:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe FF11 is up

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

WoW

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Rarity posted:

FF14 is down for maintainence what do I do with my life now :negative:

back to 2008 gaming

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Played a bunch of void bastards yesterday. It's becoming a bit repetitive. I'm getting better at it, getting upgrades regularly, but I'm wondering how much more or longer I "have" to play it. I think I'll give it a rest and pick something else up. I have so, so many games I haven't finished or even started in some cases.

I find that roguelike or random-gen games are the games that I play the most but often they sort of leave me empty or wanting more. If there's no end, when do I stop playing? I uninstalled battle brothers for that reason. I realize that void bastards has a sort of plot and ending, but I'm getting the same vibes.

Similarly, anyone tried Icarus recently? I played it a lot on launch but not since then. It was almost very good, but not quite, in a way that I don't think will get fixed. Performance was complete poo poo too but they just patched it for that, apparently.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Whizzing Wizard posted:

back to 2008 gaming

There are other games besides FF14?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rarity posted:

There are other games besides FF14?

Games stopped coming out after FF14.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

final fantasy snoreteen

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

final fantasy snoreteen

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i decided to get the queer games bundle selfishly because of one game that interested me: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1765780/ADACA/

lo-poly indie shooter inspired by half-life with nb protag

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
there's a fourteenth Final Fantasy?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i rolled credits on Sunbreak last night and i gotta say that was probably the coolest finale sequence in any MH game i've played so far

spoiler for the best part: the penultimate urgent quest has you go after a Lunagaron in the citadel map, no big deal you've fought them several times before, but when you get there the sky is dark, full of red embers, and Fiorayne remarks that there's no life here because of the Qurio (the little bloodsucker leeches). and like okay yeah sure i'm just gonna go grab my usual HP boost spiribirds and wirebugs etc and as you leave the camp you realize... she wasn't lying. there is no life. there are no spiribirds, no small monsters, no hunting helpers, no wirebugs, no endemic life whatsoever. the map is empty. there is no music playing. everything is silent. when you finally start fighting the lunagaron this incredibly creepy ambient music comes in, but everything is so still and creepy and quiet, it's just you and him. and then... at a certain hp threshold he becomes truly afflicted, he enrages and his eyes glow red and sparks come off him and he doesn't leave the area until he dies.

this quest was SO loving cool. the ambience was perfect. and what a cool way to add a layer of challenge by taking away all your endemic life buffs. loving awesome. 10/10

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ff14 chat:

When you get down to it, the things you're actually doing during the ff14 ARR quests are really limited. Like most quests chains are "talk* to A, who tells you to talk to B on the other side of the world, who tells you to talk to C D and E who are nearby, go back to B, who now tells you to go to some corner of the wilderness, fight one enemy, go back to B, who sends you back to A"
*talk means right-clicking them

The writing is v good but man, the tasks are so boring

The story is the big draw but doesn't use its mmoness, at all. You are the chosen one protagonist, other players do not exist. If you asked me "did ffxiv have to be an MMO to say what it wants to say" my answer is a Big No. The mmmorpg gameplay is about as good as it gets but it's so sequestered from the story and plot and characters, i'm a little amazed it doesn't bug more people

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF14 is a jrpg with multiplayer elements where you're allowed to play an mmo afterwards if you'd like

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Jrpgs are usually punchier than this

Plot beats that involve spending an hour running errands for an NPC in exchange for information can happen in other jrpgs, maybe as a sort of gag, but here it's constant

Idk

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the level of punchiness is highly variable, like in all genres and media

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Ff14 chat:

When you get down to it, the things you're actually doing during the ff14 ARR quests are really limited. Like most quests chains are "talk* to A, who tells you to talk to B on the other side of the world, who tells you to talk to C D and E who are nearby, go back to B, who now tells you to go to some corner of the wilderness, fight one enemy, go back to B, who sends you back to A"

The story is the big draw but doesn't use its mmoness, at all. You are the chosen one protagonist, other players do not exist. If you asked me "did ffxiv have to be an MMO to say what it wants to say" my answer is a Big No. The mmmorpg gameplay is about as good as it gets but it's so sequestered from the story and plot and characters, i'm a little amazed it doesn't bug more people

I'm really digging the style of FF14's storytelling just cause it's such a slow immersion into its setting and the worldbuilding is the best I've ever seen in a video game. There's so much texture and richness and history and every conversation peels back another layer and you learn things without even knowing their full importance until they crop back up later. Like how the whole start of the game is about you defending your city from their local beast tribe and its not until hours later that you find out holy poo poo the real baddies are the summons or how Ungust first shows up as this random rear end in a top hat and you tell him to gently caress off and its like ok that happened but then not long after he shows back up and plays a huge role in the Ifrit saga or how Redolent Rose runs the Weaver's Guild but also has a secret gig moonlighting as a competition host in the Gold Saucer. As someone who's main interests in video games are in setting and story it hits all my main itches.

Like, it's still more gameplay than visual novels

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This one piece of media is below average in its punchosity. Sorry libs

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Ff14 chat:

I never finished the story before I got distracted and wandered off, but up until you fight the ultimate weapon is pretty much just the game's prologue.

The story gets really good AFTER that, but it's like a freaking 40 hour prologue if you don't do most side quests. Before that, the story is very liner, formulaic, and forgettable, even by final fantasy standards.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 4, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

I'm really digging the style of FF14's storytelling just cause it's such a slow immersion into its setting and the worldbuilding is the best I've ever seen in a video game. There's so much texture and richness and history and every conversation peels back another layer and you learn things without even knowing their full importance until they crop back up later. Like how the whole start of the game is about you defending your city from their local beast tribe and its not until hours later that you find out holy poo poo the real baddies are the summons or how Ungust first shows up as this random rear end in a top hat and you tell him to gently caress off and its like ok that happened but then not long he shows back up and plays a huge role in the Ifrit saga or how Redolent Rose runs the Weaver's Guild but also has a secret gig moonlighting as a competition host in the Gold Saucer. As someone who's main interests in video games are in setting and story it hits all my main itches.

Like, it's still more gameplay than visual novels

Idk if the evil merchant episode or the reveal that there's more going on than you first thought is particularly unique to ffxiv, it's basic fiction stuff! Except slower (so much teleporting, walking, talking)

Agreed on the worldbuilding tho, lots of details and it holds together great

My main thesis is that it could've absolutely been single-player only, nothing about the setting or story requires other players. An open world jrpg, like idk dragon's dogma? I haven't played very many open world jrpgs

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Idk if the evil merchant episode or the reveal that there's more going on than you first thought is particularly unique to ffxiv, it's basic fiction stuff! Except slower (so much teleporting, walking, talking)

You're not wrong but for me it hits different because the game moves much slower. You've got more time for information to settle so when the state of the board changes it means more. Like if you just rush the MSQ then Ungust showing back up wouldn't take long but I spent time doing Gold Saucer and crafting and class quests and dungeons so it was hours later and I'd totally moved on from him

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the Masked Rose, fashionista extraordinaire, is a mysterious individual whose identity is completely unknown, and has absolutely no relation to renowned tailor and guildmaster Redolent Rose

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Murderin' for the Dark Brotherhood is still pretty fun in Oblivion. I forgot just how long the actual questline is! I'm about at the end though. I also love how not-subtle the switcharoo is.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kerrzhe posted:

the Masked Rose, fashionista extraordinaire, is a mysterious individual whose identity is completely unknown, and has absolutely no relation to renowned tailor and guildmaster Redolent Rose

Yet they wear exactly the same outfit :thunkher:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is the warrior of light mastering every single combat/crafting/gathering class canon

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Help Im Alive posted:

Is the warrior of light mastering every single combat/crafting/gathering class canon

Any game where you can do that it always is

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is the fact that Eorzea is chock-a-block full of versatile polymaths who have zero problem murdering 10 of whatever ever brought up, or does everyone pretend that there’s just one WoL.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's one Warrior of Light and a lot of adventurers

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is the fact that Eorzea is chock-a-block full of versatile polymaths who have zero problem murdering 10 of whatever ever brought up, or does everyone pretend that there’s just one WoL.

They address this creatively in later expansions, but, aside from a few tongue-in-cheek lampshades in the English translation, the canon is that you're the only godslaying omnicrafter out there.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

Shadowbringers confirmed it absolutely

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/DaPandaBanda/status/1544079477621268480

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m :f5:ing

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FF14 being down for maintenance is A SLAP IN THE FACE