Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Barudak posted:

For a very easy example the best* my family's province restaurant in Tokyo the dish whose name is literally dry hot noodles was served wet because nobody in the northern provinces would eat noodles that way.

I love how passive aggressive this is. Sure I let you all order you ridiculous noodle dish, but I no chance in hell I'm going to serve you that garbage. Here have some decent noodles cooked properly you idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Stupid thread made me hungry now I overpaid to import some noodles.

Xbox was within 200 units of passing the PS5 again this week, total weekly sales of Xbox continue to climb, it has an actual chance of surpassing the 360 if they continue this rate (it won't I don't think)

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I really like Minecraft Dungeons, but every level is at least twice as long as it should be. I think it's a good beginner Diablo-like, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Of all the hot takes in this thread the one I never expected was that it was possible for any food in Japan to be bad. The few years I lived there basically every restaurant I went to was the best version of that food I ever had.

Barudak posted:

Xbox was within 200 units of passing the PS5 again this week, total weekly sales of Xbox continue to climb, it has an actual chance of surpassing the 360 if they continue this rate (it won't I don't think)

Xbox 360 had a few actual exclusives in Japan which helped, including at launch. In fact I think to this day it's the only console with an official home port of Tetris: The Grand Master.

I'd be interested in seeing what sort of bump Kojima's game does if it's exclusive, but I know it won't be much.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Id be hard pressed to think Japan has the best version of any food I've eaten, but the baseline level of quality any standard restaurant* is way over basically any other country I've been to. You basically can't have an outright bad meal walking into any given place.

*Theres a Korean restaurant in Akasaka that is bad and a Chicago Deep Dish restaurant in Ebisu that should be sunk in lake michigan for its sins.

Edit: I don't think the Kojima game will have any major impact.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Larry Parrish posted:

that's a soyny problem. my PS4 would get hot enough to feel like it was going to burn me if it was on for 24 hours but my Xbox never gets more than comfortably warm even on the exhaust vent

I think the PS5 has a vapour cooling system which, as well as the enormous, oddly shaped heatsink, is why that console is so big. They also cranked the GPU clock speeds up really high compared with the Series X, which would produce more heat.

I think.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 4, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Sony wanted their console to have a bigger dick is all

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Minecraft Dungeons is a great couch co-op game to play with people who don't normally play games. I basically keep it installed for that reason and nothing else.

E: Turtles may have superseded it but I'm guessing that won't permanently be on GamePass

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Barudak posted:

Stupid thread made me hungry now I overpaid to import some noodles.

How's the marketing there, is it heavily game-pass focused (which I guess is also the case here lol)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

How's the marketing there, is it heavily game-pass focused (which I guess is also the case here lol)

The Bic camera and other places are in huge letters GAME PASS and then somewhere deep down *cough* *cough* its on xbox *cough*

I have 0 points of actual data but I have a suspicion gamepass PC is actually doing a lot of inroading in the market.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

Id be hard pressed to think Japan has the best version of any food I've eaten, but the baseline level of quality any standard restaurant* is way over basically any other country I've been to. You basically can't have an outright bad meal walking into any given place.

*Theres a Korean restaurant in Akasaka that is bad and a Chicago Deep Dish restaurant in Ebisu that should be sunk in lake michigan for its sins.

Yeah, this was my experience. Basically anywhere where food was 2000 yen per person or thereabouts in 2005-2008 was the level of quality (both food-wise and service-wise) you'd get from most very expensive restaurants at least in Canada. The occasional Italian restaurant we went to was insanely good (there is/was a really good one in Sapporo), although I probably haven't had really good Italian food elsewhere (never went to a particularly swanky Italian restaurant in the West or been to Italy). Also as laughable as this sounds, I always actually recommend tourists who are in Japan long enough to try a McDonald's at least once just to see how hard the level of service there blows the Western locations out of the water.

Barudak posted:

I have 0 points of actual data but I have a suspicion gamepass PC is actually doing a lot of inroading in the market.

Has there been an uptick in gaming-tier PCs in Japan in the last 15-20 years? Always seemed like somewhat of a rarity, was close to impossible to get a GPU that was better than a midrange when I lived there, they just weren't distributed in the region at all.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’s bananas that Xbox is at PlayStations heels in Japan. What a world

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
More like Xbox is in California and PlayStation is in Florida. And the Switch is on Jupiter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

It’s bananas that Xbox is at PlayStations heels in Japan. What a world

probably because the PS5 is a heap of poo poo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

probably because the PS5 is a heap of poo poo

Yah but WHAT a heap! (It’s hilariously large lol)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I was just made aware of this og xbox exclusive I'd never heard of before. They made a xb1 remake that's free to dl on xbox and windows. "Phantom Dust"

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/phantom-dust/9pcdnbhr11mr

Gonna check it out

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Free? Now you’re speaking my language.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

junkstation

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I dont think I've ever seen a game put its hooks into my 8/10 year olds as hard and fast as Fall Guys.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Phantom dust was an OG Xbox game that retailed for 20 bucks new. It’s weird and has a very bizarre story

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Blue Raider posted:

Phantom dust was an OG Xbox game that retailed for 20 bucks new. It’s weird and has a very bizarre story

Is it Japanese?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Huxley posted:

I dont think I've ever seen a game put its hooks into my 8/10 year olds as hard and fast as Fall Guys.
Really? Even more than Minecraft and Roblox? Why do you think that is?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s cute and stupid and easily digestible in 15 minute chunks.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

Really? Even more than Minecraft and Roblox? Why do you think that is?

Legos never grabbed them, but they're both nuts for American Ninja Warrior.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My kids are all about house flipper now that they saw me play it a little bit. They want to clean the walls but “no houses that are burned” because the burned house I bought was “too messy”

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

Panda Express is what Chinese people homesick for Chinese food eat in America and its recommended to kids direct by study abroad programs.

Wait what

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also heavily miss eating at Japanese restaurants. Open your drat border Japan

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Huxley posted:

My kids saw me play it and wanted a turn, the 4yo was laughing like mad watching her bean fall over and bumping into things. The 7yo got annoyed that he couldn't win.

It's a good game to play on front of children, because I'm sure as hell not showing them Borderlands or Maneater.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lammasu posted:

Is it Japanese?

Made by Japanese I guess

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They've got acceptable noodles and dish combos. Its like if you desperately wanted american food in Japan, Mos Burger exists and is fine even if its a lil off.

univbee posted:

Has there been an uptick in gaming-tier PCs in Japan in the last 15-20 years? Always seemed like somewhat of a rarity, was close to impossible to get a GPU that was better than a midrange when I lived there, they just weren't distributed in the region at all.

It is iirc a growing market for steam and based on what I see and hear on the ground PC gaming is making big inroads because they now actually have language support in addition to switch eating the entire casual market. Theres been a definite pc gaming push and as Japanese companies like capcom get more invested the transition is easier.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seltzer posted:

I was just made aware of this og xbox exclusive I'd never heard of before. They made a xb1 remake that's free to dl on xbox and windows. "Phantom Dust"

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/phantom-dust/9pcdnbhr11mr

Gonna check it out

Hell yeah thanks!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

What the hell no way Panda Express is comfort food for Chinese people in America. No fuckin way lol

Like that’s very hard to believe

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Barudak I’m sure you’re right and all, but that is absurd

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

Barudak I’m sure you’re right and all, but that is absurd

I mean, its literally what schools mention (along with watch out for ravioli at italian restaurants its not what you think it is*) and what numerous chinese people I know do and say. Ive had multiple people visit america thrilled to learn panda express exists and they can eat there instead of needing to schlep noodles with them.

*one of the funniest goddamn "horror" stories Ive ever been told

edit: To be clear, if you're in New York or whatever you can find good stuff, this is more like "hey kid inexplicably going to Kansas, heres what you want to look for"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 5, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
No brainer.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1544110574119710720?s=21&t=8GtvQG0kUTqaf1Grvb70pQ

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
This is also a really great collection with a ton of additional modes and extras.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1544114717609713666?s=21&t=8GtvQG0kUTqaf1Grvb70pQ

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Since watching an LP of Aegis Rim I've been dying to try Yokisoba pan. That pure carb hit is exactly what I like.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Since watching an LP of Aegis Rim I've been dying to try Yokisoba pan. That pure carb hit is exactly what I like.

I have never seen a human being buy, much less touch, the ones in convenience stores so they would be all yours on steep discount

Edit: The most "America is an Empire" part of visiting Okinawa is not that you can use USD all over the place, its that the big local dish they promote in their tourism is called Taco Rice

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 5, 2022

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The Halo Killer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Having thoughts about rehoming my X2VGA for something called a Xedusa so I can connect my original Xbox to HDMI and have it not look like poo poo without soldering. If you're an Original Xbox pervert interested in a VGA hookup, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.