Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't think they're interested in letting people play Intellvision games on something more powerful than a midrange 2015 Android phone.

I could see that if people were, y'know, interested in playing those games on a platform that has, uhh, y'know, blood and violence and sexual content, and.... and kids in sexual compromising positions, and rape, on the Nintendo, if, uh, uh that's what they want, then they'll release the games on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This is like the 3rd or 4th time they are entering into a test production run but don’t worry this time it’s totally legit

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Looks like the Intellivision Amico trademark has been abandoned.

quote:

IP lawyer here to give some insight into what this means, since another commenter requested a professional explanation.

The trademark was abandoned for failure to file either a statement of use or an extension within the required time period. After you get a trademark allowed, basically meaning you have the right to use it in commerce, you have a certain amount of time to either use it and file a statement of use, or file an extension so you can have some additional time. The mark still shows that it has an attorney of record who works at the same firm that was handling the omnibus patent. It’s a very well respected firm, so it’s highly unlikely that the attorney just forgot to pay the extension fee. The fee is also fairly low (a few hundred dollars including legal fees), so it’s probably not an issue of not having the money. The only rational conclusion is that Intellivision explicitly requested that the attorney not file the extension, meaning that they have no intent to use it in commerce.

TL;DR - The mark was likely abandoned due to an express request by Intellivision. This system is dead

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yep, the Intellivision Amico is dead. Pretty safe to assume this console was canceled.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Believe in Tommy

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Can't believe selling a bad 2013 Android phone in 2022 isn't a functional business model. What is the world coming to.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Probably not much new to this thread, but Pat recently guested on Seanbaby and Brockway's podcast and the three talked about the Amico scam and Tommy in general.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/intellivision-amicos-trademark-listed-as-abandoned-in-latest-sign-it-may-never-release/

They've got 2 months to file an appeal and extension but it looks like it may finally be admitting its dead.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Mega64 posted:

Probably not much new to this thread, but Pat recently guested on Seanbaby and Brockway's podcast and the three talked about the Amico scam and Tommy in general.

Not a bad podcast but you could tell Pat wanted to get to serious Amico info, whereas Sean and his cohost were all about making jokes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pat strikes me as a guy who can't feel the vibe and run with it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pat strikes me as a guy who can't feel the vibe and run with it.

Pat's the type of person who freaks out publically when someone makes a custom label for their NES or Atari carts that had tattered labels. It doesn't surprise me he's the type of person who can't enjoy a good laugh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know, I kinda disagree; he's goofy enough :shrug: I don't quite remember the label issue, but I don't recall it being that bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's certainly a severe rugpull. Did someone run off with all the money or were they just plain delusional?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's certainly a severe rugpull. Did someone run off with all the money or were they just plain delusional?

No real concete evidence, but also not a surprise either if this were true; someone ran off with all the money.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Pats the kid in elementary school who would say his uncle works at Nintendo and when you called him a loving idiot he'd go cry to the principal

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Randalor posted:

Pat's the type of person who freaks out publically when someone makes a custom label for their NES or Atari carts that had tattered labels.

The only time he's had a problem with repro labels is when people try to pass them off as original when selling the game for inflated prices. He couldn't care less about someone's personal collection.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Former Human posted:

The only time he's had a problem with repro labels is when people try to pass them off as original when selling the game for inflated prices. He couldn't care less about someone's personal collection.

I wouldn't exactly say he couldn't care less with you doing it to your own collection. At about 4:45 is when he starts saying "But what happens when yoy die and your games are loose in the wild? THINK ABOUT THE COLLECTORS!"

His little rant about how what you do with your personal property is bad because it could affect collectors like him later on is a bit :chloe:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I do reproductions of whole carts, and I'm thinking of the collectors the entire time :shepspends:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Randalor posted:

"THINK ABOUT THE COLLECTORS!"

i think about the collectors all the time, specifically giving them a swirlie and then shoving them in a locker

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i think about the collectors all the time, specifically giving them a swirlie and then shoving them in a locker

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

but what about my INVESTMENTS?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

They can go in the locker with you. Maybe the toilet too, we'll see.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Randalor posted:

I wouldn't exactly say he couldn't care less with you doing it to your own collection. At about 4:45 is when he starts saying "But what happens when yoy die and your games are loose in the wild? THINK ABOUT THE COLLECTORS!"

Pretty weird to post a video and then misrepresent it. Ian was the one who mentioned what happens if someone dies, and it wasn't at 4:45 either.

Pat says, verbatim, "you can do whatever you want with your own game." They then describe why repro labels are bad if people try to pass them off as original. Pat specifically mentions The Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak going for $400 more with a better (repro) label. The video you posted is also five years old and they have discussed it since then.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Former Human posted:

Pretty weird to post a video and then misrepresent it. Ian was the one who mentioned what happens if someone dies, and it wasn't at 4:45 either.

Pat says, verbatim, "you can do whatever you want with your own game." They then describe why repro labels are bad if people try to pass them off as original. Pat specifically mentions The Flintstones: Surprise at Dinosaur Peak going for $400 more with a better (repro) label. The video you posted is also five years old and they have discussed it since then.

I'm sorry, at roughly 4:30 is when they say "You can do what you want with your own game" then proceed to say "But it matters to US". And they may have revisited the topic later, but Pat and Ian came off as such man babies in this video that it turned me off of them overall. And besides, I only posted the video because you said that they never cared about what people do with their own collections when Pat also clearly says that it matters to them what you do with your games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/TheChrisGlass/status/1544423749604167680

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ooooo, so we're moving into the transparent scam phase? Or just having a physical "location" that's a PO box while loose ends are tied up as the company winds down?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I am certain that at some point in the past, this console and company had legitimate plans for this not to be some sort of shady grift.

That point is long gone, however.

Christ, at best, this was still worse than the Ouya.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Turbinosamente posted:

Ooooo, so we're moving into the transparent scam phase? Or just having a physical "location" that's a PO box while loose ends are tied up as the company winds down?

Excuse you, a UPS store as the address means that all consoles have shipped.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Excuse you, a UPS store as the address means that all consoles have shipped.

Or it's an upcoming campaign location for Rudy.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh I'm sure they started by intending to release a nostalgia cash in console, this probably leans more towards the latter of wrapping things up and closing shop in like a year.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Or it's an upcoming campaign location for Rudy.

Why, is there a sex store next door?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean. It does say “yogurtland” right next to the UPS store

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1547970506699051012

Why did they even bother renewing the patent when it's extremely likely that the console is never coming out

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

To keep somebody else from using it and benefiting from their good name (lol) without any of the the hard work they did (lmao)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I guess this could be a general Tommy Tallarico thread.

So they're replacing the "oof" sound effect from Roblox. Tallarico made the sound effect for PC game Messiah originally, and it made it's way into Roblox. According to this Kotaku article, Tallarico caught wind of this and came to some sort of agreement where people would have to pay $1 to use the sound effect. It appears that the agreement must have expired.

https://twitter.com/Roblox/status/1552037832578846720?t=qwYkHxGiXeVNaKdVNjTtEA&s=19

No word on how much either side was asking for from the looks of it. Tommy may be a reluctant scammer and chud rear end in a top hat, but by all rights, he did make that sound effect and should get paid for it. I got no defense of Roblox. I really don't know much about the "game" or company, but I hear it's they're awful and exploitative.

To me, it's a Let Them Fight situation. I don't want Tallarico to have more money but it would probably be more beneficial in the overall grand scheme of things if Roblox had less money. A sudden cash injection would probably make for another fun chapter in the Ammico saga at the very least.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Time Extension, a retrogaming spinoff of NintendoLife, reached out to the head of Stainless Games (and the creator of Carmageddon!), who've been working on a couple of Amico games, to get his perspective on matters:

quote:

In terms of what’s happening with Intellivision, I did actually talk to their CEO Phil Adam only last week. He confirmed that everything is still set to happen, despite all the setbacks and problems.

The rumours of them closing their offices were overblown – everybody was working from home anyway due to Covid, so Phil couldn’t see the point of paying for office space.

Phil’s a close friend so I trust him. The public message from Intellivision that they’re not dead and it’s still happening is genuinely what their intention is internally.

We’d love to see Missile Command see the light of day as it’s a great game. We’d also like to finish Liars’ Dice. Obviously nothing is ongoing at the moment for the Amico as we need to see if Phil & co. manage to pull it off. If they do though, then yes, the intention is to do further work.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Something, something, path to hell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

Time Extension, a retrogaming spinoff of NintendoLife, reached out to the head of Stainless Games (and the creator of Carmageddon!), who've been working on a couple of Amico games, to get his perspective on matters:

There is no reason to not just switch all development of these games to other consoles.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

There is no reason to not just switch all development of these games to other consoles.

If they had signed an exclusivity agreement, then they may not be legally able to switch them to other systems as long as the Amico is still "coming out". It definitely reads like they either want to switch the games to other systems though, considering his line about "Obviously nothing is ongoing at the moment for the Amico as we need to see if Phil & co. manage to pull it off. If they do though, then yes, the intention is to do further work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Randalor posted:

If they had signed an exclusivity agreement, then they may not be legally able to switch them to other systems as long as the Amico is still "coming out". It definitely reads like they either want to switch the games to other systems though, considering his line about "Obviously nothing is ongoing at the moment for the Amico as we need to see if Phil & co. manage to pull it off. If they do though, then yes, the intention is to do further work."

Man, I hope Tommy gets completely destroyed in court.