Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That fella who was one of the first quad masters draft unboxing videos out there got his collector boxes.

He seems to be a very lucky lad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTQ3HWXMjVQ&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Everytime I watch those videos, I'm like: "OH NO SOMEONE IS JUST SUCKING UP ALL THE GOOD CARDS ALREADY. THE REST OF THE PACKS WHEN I EVENTUALLY GET ONE IS GOING TO BE JUST FULL OF poo poo."

But seriously he spent like 1200 dollars for those boxes. :stare:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Watching Dies to Removal and super bummed that I'm missing out on experiencing an awesome set because I'm priced out of it. Even if I was reckless AF, I cannot remember the last time I had $400 sitting in my bank account that was not already earmarked for life expenses

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Wow those were some absolutely sick boxes. I’m hyped for this release. Very glad I got an order in at Fortuna Games before they sold out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

big cummers ONLY posted:

Watching Dies to Removal and super bummed that I'm missing out on experiencing an awesome set because I'm priced out of it. Even if I was reckless AF, I cannot remember the last time I had $400 sitting in my bank account that was not already earmarked for life expenses

The biggest thing that keeps me out of buying/spending a lot in MtG is having a shitload of other expensive hobbies. Video games, music (making and listening), LEGO, ttrpgs, Gunpla, cars, art and photography, just a lot of expensive poo poo that is 98% unrelated to physical survival but is necessary for me to keep going in the world.

I love this set, the choices they made with it, the artistic direction, all that, but I'm already comfortable with the fact that I can't participate in this at the level I would like to. It blows, but I can participate in ways that are not directly monetary (this thread, Arena, keeping up with my younger bro and his community contacts) and I can spend less/better/smarter because of that. I love cracking packs for sure, but it's only one tiny part of the whole hobby. poo poo, sometimes I just share card art with friends who don't even play.

For a set that's entirely reprints, the newness will wear off, and we'll have a new round of previews soon enough. Embrace the churn. The only constant is change.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well we'll have a little break, the 40k decks were their next big release and they were pushed to October. But that just stacks them right on top of Unfinity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jiro posted:

Everytime I watch those videos, I'm like: "OH NO SOMEONE IS JUST SUCKING UP ALL THE GOOD CARDS ALREADY. THE REST OF THE PACKS WHEN I EVENTUALLY GET ONE IS GOING TO BE JUST FULL OF poo poo."

But seriously he spent like 1200 dollars for those boxes. :stare:
It's an LGS unboxing to sell singles, they're just recording it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well we'll have a little break, the 40k decks were their next big release and they were pushed to October. But that just stacks them right on top of Unfinity.

Really?
Darn, the spoiled marine vanguard made me excited to see if Surge Stompy could beat thing.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Captain Invictus posted:

It's an LGS unboxing to sell singles, they're just recording it.

On a related note, the fact that people still think they can buy boxes at retail price, crack them and turn a profit while they're competing with LGSs which bought these boxes at a much lower price will never stop amusing me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol he opened 4 more boxes and got a box that had a showcase foil, etched foil, and nonfoil showcase imperial seal. those three alone pay for all eight boxes and then some. and then the next box he opened had another etched foil imperial seal. insane luck, though he did get 3 emrakuls in a previous box, so it might be that box card distribution is extremely skewed to giving triples of a given mythic, possibly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IHDDt8HMW8&hd=1

it really sucks that they've completely annihilated any semblance of normal pricing or distribution for this set.

edit: lol he got crimped cards including a mythic and etched foil.

the sheer amount of good poo poo he's pull from these is nuts. it wouldn't surprise me if the prices for these boxes hit a grand each by the end of the year. it's either that or the prices for all the cards in the set crater, because this is ridiculous.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 3, 2022

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Katana Gomai posted:

On a related note, the fact that people still think they can buy boxes at retail price, crack them and turn a profit while they're competing with LGSs which bought these boxes at a much lower price will never stop amusing me.

Also the profit likely comes to about or even than minimum wage once you factor in time spent ordering, opening, packing, mailing, etc

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Captain Invictus posted:

the sheer amount of good poo poo he's pull from these is nuts. it wouldn't surprise me if the prices for these boxes hit a grand each by the end of the year. it's either that or the prices for all the cards in the set crater, because this is ridiculous.

Very clumpy though. Somebody is gonna open a case and wind up with 2-3x copies of ~borderless Muldrotha, the Gravetide~ or ~Sedris, the Traitor King~ instead of Wrenn and Six and Emrakul...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Very true, but apparently nobody has even opened a borderless foil muldrotha on camera yet, so that might wind up being rarer, and the imperial seal might be a more common card due to being the first reprint it's ever had? Maybe? Hopefully?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Captain Invictus posted:

Very true, but apparently nobody has even opened a borderless foil muldrotha on camera yet, so that might wind up being rarer, and the imperial seal might be a more common card due to being the first reprint it's ever had? Maybe? Hopefully?

the math checks out

I've been running some EV spreadsheets on collector boosters now that we have enough openings to guess drop rates (1 in 7 mythics in the etched/trad foil slot, 1 in 4 for both borderless slots).

If you take the price of every card as of the end of spoiler season (6/23), which includes some but not all of the price drop we'll see due to it being reprinted, and you further assume the special art/foil adds NO VALUE to the pack, I get an EV of ~$49 per collector pack or $196 per box.

That's pretty high compared to the ~$57.50 pre-order price per pack, considering the borderless (foil) and etched treatments will add a ton of value. The curated list of mythics and rares in the borderless slot does a lot of work.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

don't buy sealed product, do buy singles

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

coelomate posted:

Very clumpy though. Somebody is gonna open a case and wind up with 2-3x copies of ~borderless Muldrotha, the Gravetide~ or ~Sedris, the Traitor King~ instead of Wrenn and Six and Emrakul...

This is pretty much what I'm concerned about.

kalel posted:

don't buy sealed product, do buy singles

I'm not buying a box of either, but to see insane pulls clumped together like that makes me wonder if just getting a random collector booster is just going to be stuffed with rares and mythics that are old commander precon commanders, chaff.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 4, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I built three Pauper decks after watching that Tolarian Professor video. I just kind of had most of the cards in a box, and spent about $20 in store credit on the rest of Boros Bully, Rakdos Goblin Combo, and Izzet Faeries. I'm planning on building a "battle box" type thing like he had, it's a great idea. It took me a while, but I figured out what I like about Pauper: It's the nostalgia. It feels a lot like old-school Magic. No planeswalkers, no double-faced cards, no sagas (except I think the one DFC saga that loots and then becomes a 2/3 flier), etc. Most of the cards in the decks are even available in classic frames, and another good chunk are from Time Spiral and Ravnica, where I re-started playing after a little hiatus.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pauper does look very good, and considering I have a giant box of commons from all periods of Magic, it seems like I could dive in pretty easily.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I heard from the people here that Pauper kind of has the Modern problem where if you’re just messing around in leagues or at FNM it’s a blast but at serious tables everyone is just on Affinity because it’s a lot better than the other decks.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
drat, that sucks because not even modern has that problem right now

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

drat, that sucks because not even modern has that problem right now

I think Money Pile is a lot better than the next ~2-3 best decks, and I think those decks altogether are a whole lot better than everything else. The last 1K I saw results for locally was a combination of Money Pile, Murktide and and one sicko on Amulet.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

fadam posted:

I heard from the people here that Pauper kind of has the Modern problem where if you’re just messing around in leagues or at FNM it’s a blast but at serious tables everyone is just on Affinity because it’s a lot better than the other decks.

Pauper EDH is also all kinds of fun. We tried it on a whim last week and my whole friend group loved it. I built 3 decks this week, haha!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fadam posted:

I see nothing has changed since the last time I played Pauper 10 years ago

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

I see nothing has changed since the last time I played Pauper 10 years ago

Wasn't Tron the problem back then? It looks like there's some variety in top 8s even if Affinity is the most popular by a little bit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fadam posted:

I think Money Pile is a lot better than the next ~2-3 best decks, and I think those decks altogether are a whole lot better than everything else. The last 1K I saw results for locally was a combination of Money Pile, Murktide and and one sicko on Amulet.

I think Murktide and Living End are just as good as the Money Piles. You can also just always play anything in Modern and get lucky with matchups. There is a new wacky Tron deck that craps all over the Money Piles too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

LifeLynx posted:

Wasn't Tron the problem back then? It looks like there's some variety in top 8s even if Affinity is the most popular by a little bit.

It was tron but most people had affinity cause it was cheaper so I got Galvanic booty Blasted many times

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

online is incredibly diverse rn and you can take down events with like 10 decks. I think people vastly overrate the murktide decks and also the omnath decks. Paper, especially local events, are behind and that doesn’t really surprise me because switching costs are so high

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Pauper affinity is good, but it's not unbeatable. It's just the deck of the moment, so it's ubiquitous. It was way worse when they had atog and 8 myr enforcers to work with.

Mono U Faeries (the deck formerly known as Delver) is way more annoying to play against imo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

online is incredibly diverse rn and you can take down events with like 10 decks. I think people vastly overrate the murktide decks and also the omnath decks. Paper, especially local events, are behind and that doesn’t really surprise me because switching costs are so high

I don’t think it’s busted on the level of Eldrazi or Hogaak, but I think 4c is better than the other decks to the point where it’d take a lot for me to not play it in a real event. You (and mcmagic) are right tho that by virtue of being Modern any tournament with any deck is kind of live and I’m having a ton of fun playing weird food/amulet strategies on MTGO, but I really hope they ban Yorion or something soon so I can justify not buying it in paper for a few more month.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

fadam posted:

I don’t think it’s busted on the level of Eldrazi or Hogaak, but I think 4c is better than the other decks to the point where it’d take a lot for me to not play it in a real event. You (and mcmagic) are right tho that by virtue of being Modern any tournament with any deck is kind of live and I’m having a ton of fun playing weird food/amulet strategies on MTGO, but I really hope they ban Yorion or something soon so I can justify not buying it in paper for a few more month.

If I was trying to win I absolutely would not play it. It’s getting beat up rn by the meta pretty badly by decks that aren’t even specifically targeting it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
To be clear - I think it’s a very good deck, but unlike other times in modern people are not pre boarding for the matchup or even choosing decks based on 4c omnath. also decks like living end are operating at a high level. Meta is good and shifting constantly which seems healthy

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Time posted:

To be clear - I think it’s a very good deck, but unlike other times in modern people are not pre boarding for the matchup or even choosing decks based on 4c omnath. also decks like living end are operating at a high level. Meta is good and shifting constantly which seems healthy

Other than LE which decks do you think have an advantageous G1? I think part of what makes it so good is how good it is G1 and how it's hard to get too much equity boarding against it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fadam posted:

Other than LE which decks do you think have an advantageous G1? I think part of what makes it so good is how good it is G1 and how it's hard to get too much equity boarding against it.

Bogles

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/modern-challenge-12437644#paper

Elementals barely showed up in the Challenge report from yesterday :whitewater:

Shoutout to people actually playing that Yawgmoth deck on MTGO, the amount of clicking involved drove me nuts.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Has sailors Bane destroyed legacy yet?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Paul Zuvella posted:

Has sailors Bane destroyed legacy yet?

Still not on MTGO

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
E:
Lightning Bolt Don't Miss
https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1544023142196121601?s=20&t=ewv17KbDNiDK-bCHbpgilA
I guess someone got mad their XK payed out in credit. (Lmao)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fadam posted:

Yorion VERY MUCH isn't the problem. People just think it is because all the money piles play it and 80 card decks are annoying. W6 is a much bigger culprit IMO. It's too good of a 2 mana card advantage engine.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m not gonna be upset if W6 eats it, but doing it right after a big reprint would be very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Yorion VERY MUCH isn't the problem. People just think it is because all the money piles play it and 80 card decks are annoying. W6 is a much bigger culprit IMO. It's too good of a 2 mana card advantage engine.

This is just your mental conditioning preventing you from diagnosing the REAL problem, which is fetch lands