Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve just resigned myself to the fact that I need to have 3 web browsers. Safari for most general usage because I like the UI and the ecosystem support; Firefox for websites that need intensive decrapifying; and a chromium based browser specifically for a web platform my company uses that covers pretty much all HR type stuff - personal details, payslips, vacation applications, and all training modules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Just use the iPad awful app on your Mac if you have an AS mac. It’s great.

This is the best advice. Thanks!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Gay Retard posted:

I know this browser might be super-niche, but I've been messing around with Mighty, a Chromium-based "cloud" browser. What's a cloud browser? Basically, you pay $35 a month and get access to a 2 Gbps fiber server with 8 vCPUs and 32GB of RAM. What does this mean, exactly? Well, if you work in app likes Figma, you're probably accustomed to your fans kicking on whenever you open a project. Mighty handles all of that rendering server-side, which means cloud-based collaboration tools are incredibly snappy and you fan won't even kick on. Mighty also has some pretty cool productivity features like integrated Google doc file searching, meeting notifications, and a nifty tab switcher/manager.

I'm not currently in a role professionally where I collaborate in Figma often, but I could totally see the $35 a month being justified if I was messing around in Figma all day - I was amazed at how fluid navigating around artboards was on Mighty compared to Safari/Firefox/Chrome. As we start to see more tools go all-in on browser-based experiences, I could totally see professionals considering Mighty - especially if you have an older laptop that can't handle modern cloud-based tools.

I'll definitely miss using Mighty when my trial is over.

edit: I also discovered an alternative to "Open In" called Choosy, which lets you select which browser you want to open a link with. The great thing about Choosy is it offers extensions on every browser to easily volley a link over to a different browser. Great for QA/webdev work!

But why are you using Figma in the browser…?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Jeherrin posted:

But why are you using Figma in the browser…?

It actually runs better on a browser with Mighty than it does natively on my MacBook Pro. It's probably just an Electron-based app with an app shell or something, right?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gay Retard posted:

It actually runs better on a browser with Mighty than it does natively on my MacBook Pro. It's probably just an Electron-based app with an app shell or something, right?

Yeah.

I’m still using Sketch because I’m pretty solo, but I’m going to have to start branching into Figma more. Kind of amazes me that losing platform native capabilities and performance are worth it for the benefits of running completely in a browser. I kind of find that an indictment of the development tools I guess.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Gay Retard posted:

Huh! I will try this out then.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Violator posted:

Yeah.

I’m still using Sketch because I’m pretty solo, but I’m going to have to start branching into Figma more. Kind of amazes me that losing platform native capabilities and performance are worth it for the benefits of running completely in a browser. I kind of find that an indictment of the development tools I guess.

When I went to grad school in 2018 for UI/UX, it seemed like everybody used different tools - Adobe XD started taking off (Free from Adobe + Halo effect), InVision, Sketch, and Figma. I've dabbled with all of them, and they all function pretty similarly, but it really does look like Figma and browser-based tools are winning out.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Gay Retard posted:

When I went to grad school in 2018 for UI/UX, it seemed like everybody used different tools - Adobe XD started taking off (Free from Adobe + Halo effect), InVision, Sketch, and Figma. I've dabbled with all of them, and they all function pretty similarly, but it really does look like Figma and browser-based tools are winning out.

Continuing the derail: I was an old Sketch partisan, but all of our teams (big tech firm) have moved to Figma. The benefits of cloud-based concurrent editing and sharing were just too good. The browser-based cross-platform ability also really trumped Sketch in the long run; Figma meets enterprise-scale needs really well.

Until, of course, the cloud goes down.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Browser chat:

Base level iCloud tabs continue to mysteriously sync or fail to sync, but shoving things into tab groups has been totally solid for me for getting them to move between devices. That says bad things about what’s going on under the hood, but it’s allowed me to stop airdropping things to myself.

I much prefer Firefox to Chrome and use it for my many work collaboration tabs. I keep some weird off brand chromium browser around for certain sites or web apps that demand it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Are widgets just dead or what? I had a bunch of ones I really liked before like, El Cap or whatever. But none of those apps have available widgets now and all I have that do are native apps. What gives?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
$35/month buys a fair bit of extra computer over a 24 or 36 month upgrade cycle.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is a weird thing that's come up:

I can't right-click on Music.app and interact with a song. All the top options are greyed out. Does anyone else have this?

Edit: Restarting Music for the third time fixed it. Weird though.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 5, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, that's happening for me too wtf

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

Yeah, that's happening for me too wtf

It's definitely weird. I thought it might be related to whether something is in a playlist or your library. That didn't work, it only happens for some things sometimes. Then I thought it was the playlist view mode but that also doesn't seem to matter. I think it's just a bug and I'll try reporting it to Apple now.

Violator
May 15, 2003

IIRC The next version of macOS includes a version of Music.app that has big chunks rewritten in Swift instead of web views. I really hope that improves the app because it's a dumpster fire. Especially coming from a company whose turnaround was on the back of a music player and an entire industry they upended. It's like nobody there actually uses the app.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Didn’t they promise us Music was going to be rewritten in Swift a few versions ago? I’ll believe it when I see it, frankly.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I haven't seen anything more than forum posts claiming that the next version of Music.app has big chunks rewritten in Swift, and none of them gave, like, actual evidence to support the claim.

Not saying it's definitely untrue, just that it might be nothing but internet echo chamber nonsense

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
It’s high time for something better than the “I Can’t Believe It’s Not iTunes!” Music.app experience. I wouldn’t care if it was written in Fortran, just improve it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
As someone who used to have a pretty large physical* music collection it makes me sad to see how stagnated iTunes/Music.app has become. Please I’m begging you to give me a reason to just not use Spotify for everything.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
At the next presentation they’ll probably talk about how beautiful the new Music.app is now that it’s rewritten in Swift and not mention that they didn’t port Smart Playlists, Star Ratings, or the ability to edit the metadata for Apple Music songs.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

it was also rumored that they were going to unfuck Time Machine in Ventura.

they have not unfucked time machine

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Violator posted:

IIRC The next version of macOS includes a version of Music.app that has big chunks rewritten in Swift instead of web views. I really hope that improves the app because it's a dumpster fire. Especially coming from a company whose turnaround was on the back of a music player and an entire industry they upended. It's like nobody there actually uses the app.

It's tough being a music fan - I was a Spotify die-hard for over a decade but got sick of their focus on Podcasts and Audiobooks and switched over to Apple Music due to Apple One pricing and free Lossless. Apple Music still has a long ways to go, but I've been furiously submitting feedback requests for every little quirk.

Spotify wouldn't have forced my hand if they'd make a minimal effort updating their app to take advantage of newer iOS APIs, but they'd rather sue Apple instead or whatever.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Gay Retard posted:

It's tough being a music fan - I was a Spotify die-hard for over a decade but got sick of their focus on Podcasts and Audiobooks and switched over to Apple Music due to Apple One pricing and free Lossless. Apple Music still has a long ways to go, but I've been furiously submitting feedback requests for every little quirk.

Spotify wouldn't have forced my hand if they'd make a minimal effort updating their app to take advantage of newer iOS APIs, but they'd rather sue Apple instead or whatever.
It's been interesting watching companies like Spotify and Sonos have a big ol' whinge about access to Apple APIs and then doing absolutely nothing when they get it. It's almost like the tech industry is full of whiny babies who are grandstanding for attention and not because they actually want to improve their products.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
nvm

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://twitter.com/pierre_blzqz/status/1542592072821112832

Three new M2 machine identifiers have been found in unspecified Apple code (I'd bet it's the betas of Ventura) so its likely Mark Gurman's statement that Apple is working on three new Mac M2 machines will be proven reality over the next year.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
How likely is it these will have WiFi 6E support? Or is WiFi baked into the M2 chip, which would mean they won't have it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Criss-cross posted:

How likely is it these will have WiFi 6E support? Or is WiFi baked into the M2 chip, which would mean they won't have it.

It's baked in the chip on m1 so i'm expecting the same on m2.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SlowBloke posted:

It's baked in the chip on m1 so i'm expecting the same on m2.

It is not baked in, as iFixit discovered when identifying chips on the board.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/54122/macbook-pro-2021-teardown

"USI 339S00912 Bluetooth/WiFi Module"

Apple doesn't own any WiFi intellectual property, as far as I know. One of the few things they haven't brought in house (yet).

Violator
May 15, 2003

BobHoward posted:

Apple doesn't own any WiFi intellectual property, as far as I know. One of the few things they haven't brought in house (yet).

Edit: I was wrong, they bought 5G modems and not WiFi from intel.

Violator fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 8, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BobHoward posted:

That USI part is a broadcom licensed core, BCM94360. I was sure they moved into the SoC but it seems i'm wrong.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What should I use for backups?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

boo, this was the biggest thing I was looking forward to from the rumor list :(

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I'd be curious to hear why Time Machine isn't great. In the decade I've used it it's worked as advertised (and saved my rear end a few times), although I've never had to do a complete system restore or migration using it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

binarysmurf posted:

I'd be curious to hear why Time Machine isn't great. In the decade I've used it it's worked as advertised (and saved my rear end a few times), although I've never had to do a complete system restore or migration using it.

It was perfect for me and then just straight up stopped working. All I ever did was use it for backups. It just literally wouldn’t do what it says on the tin anymore. Really bummed me out because it is by far the best and most efficient backup system I’ve encountered when it works. I’m hoping they do fix it eventually.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Following up on my stage manager thoughts from a few pages back now that I've had some time to mess around with the beta.

It works a little differently than I was expecting, but it's just as useful as I hoped it would be. Something I hadn't considered before is using spaces in combination with stage manager, but I found that they complement each other really well.

I set up three separate spaces with a few stage manager groups in each, where the middle one is the main workspace. This works out great since it's usually just a single swipe to get to where I want to go, and it's really refreshing coming from heavy use of full screen where you might have to swipe across 5 or 6 screens at a time. Having the separate spaces + stage manager groups lets me keep basically everything I ever need open while keeping it all super neatly organized.

I was curious about how they would handle opening windows and apps when stage manager is active. It seems like opening a new window in the app that's currently active will add it to the current stage manager group, and new apps are opened in a new separate group which works pretty well.

It's been really stable for me so far besides a few animation glitches, and I think the only thing that feels missing for me is keyboard shortcut support for cycling through the groups in the current space. I don't think it'll be for everyone, but for my workflow it's a total game changer.

Or it was until I had to restart my computer...and it promptly forgot almost every aspect of how I'd arranged everything. It reopened all the windows and mostly remembered their sizes and positions, but all of the groupings and even which spaces windows were in were completely lost. I filed a feedback so fingers crossed that they'll get that working in a later beta because it's a kick rear end feature but spending 10 minutes rearranging windows every time I restart my computer isn't worth it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Not that anyone should give two shits, but Apple just bumped Monterey 12.5 to RC status.

Apple also bumped macOS Big Sur 11.6.8 to RC status so we may be getting those as final releases soon

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is there any indication on when 12.5 is dropping. The whole not recognizing the power & usb-c until a reboot bug introduced in 12.4 has been really making GBS threads me lately , like almost daily I need to reboot, and the fix is apparently in 12.5 but man, it needs to drop soon, or at least a 12.4.1 patch fixing it, because holy poo poo does it suck.

edit:
<blockquote>Not that anyone should give two shits, but Apple just bumped Monterey 12.5 to RC status.

Apple also bumped macOS Big Sur 11.6.8 to RC status so we may be getting those as final releases soon</blockquote>

Oh poo poo, well soon then I guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy flurking shnit, I just discovered the depth of implementation for the "your mouse cursor can span across to nearby computers" feature in Monterey.

Having just upgraded my second MBP to the same OS as my primary one, I was at first startled that my pointer was continuing on to the second laptop's screen as though it were a second display, and I could control that laptop's screen and keyboard input and even volume controls from my first one. Kinda neat, maybe a little annoying, but oh well, I'll leave it turned on and see if I like it.

But just now I stumbled upon the real killer feature: you can drag files across from one computer's desktop to the other

I did a screenshot on laptop 2, grabbed the temporary thumbnail from the bottom right of laptop 2, and dragged it back across to laptop 1 and dropped it into an email.

:aaaaa:

Because the second laptop is work-provided and AirDrop is disabled I've been reduced to passing files back and forth by dropping them into Notes. This changes my life.

e: until they centrally disable this too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s kinda amazing it took this long for one of the OSs to implement this as a native feature. We’ve had to use third party tools for this for years and it’s fuckin awesome to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Aaaand Apple just released RC2 of Monterey 12.5.

Apple rarely, if ever, goes past the second release candidate if that's any comfort.

They still continue their fine tradition of loving up their USB stack in new and creative ways though