Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I though the mouse photo accompanied the Vice headline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Bismuth posted:

This thread needs the rule the cursed image thread used to have asap

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rascar Capac posted:

I though the mouse photo accompanied the Vice headline.

Same.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

being a rat does seem like a good way to deal with burnout

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Thats a rat after smoking 1(one)one cocaine

Please post images

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

OwlFancier posted:

being a rat does seem like a good way to deal with burnout

Yeah I dont think this guy knows a drat thing about burnout

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Bismuth posted:

Yeah I dont think this guy knows a drat thing about burnout

oh my god his little shoes

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Post Your Favorite: Derail Valley › PYF Funny Pictures: gently caress Wawa and Funwaa, get Ben Wa!

https://i.imgur.com/nOcpFEj.mp4

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There's definitely some meme potential for G&T (gift and talented) as a kid vs G&T (gin and tonic) as an adult, with the whole thing about peaking early and becoming a depressed alcoholic.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

The dreaded giggle poop.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
If you were in special ed can you say the r-word, like its our word right? I was one of those kids that could get a perfect score on a math test but would also take off my clothes and go ape poo poo in class so I got put in sped jail. Jokes on them being ignored in a quiet room with only 5 other kids and a dog actually helped me calm way down and do my homework. I dont give the school credit though since being locked in a back room away from the general populace was the extent of the school's special accommodations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That is hilariously accurate 🤣

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bismuth posted:

I was one of those kids that could get a perfect score on a math test but would also take off my clothes and go ape poo poo in class so I got put in sped jail.

In middle school we had a dirty crappy bus with a very long ride (1-3 hours a day depending on the kids), 2-12 grade kids on the bus. We collectively decided to clean the bus, brought in supplies, rags, buckets, water, etc. driver freaked out and we were not permitted to clean.

So some of the kids began bringing in tools and fishing wire. Wrenches, socket drivers, hand saws, etc. they unbolted the seats slowly bouncing the various nuts and rivets removed off the road through a hole in floor with fishing wire. The last day of it the driver had a whole back end of detached seats and the wheels were visible where the wheel guards had been detached and pried up.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

But I'd prefer to find the bathroom full of people laughing at farts

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So yeah put all that poo poo in the spectrum. That would also stop rich dipshits from wanting a label seen as positive put on the normal kids that creates a situation where many people that actually have the difference are miscategorized harmfully.

Sure, but ADHD is not the same as autism (although comorbidity isn't uncommon). You generally shouldn't be giving people with ASD amphetamines (unless they also have ADHD).

Source: L2 ASD, been prescribed dexamphetamine.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Party Ape posted:

Sure, but ADHD is not the same as autism (although comorbidity isn't uncommon). You generally shouldn't be giving people with ASD amphetamines (unless they also have ADHD).

Source: L2 ASD, been prescribed dexamphetamine.

Yeah I should revise it to just gifted should be part of the spectrum. My sons on adderal extended release. Yep it only addresses the ADHD, and not the other issues.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Bismuth posted:

This thread needs the rule the cursed image thread used to have asap

What, every post must have a pic? That just turns into people regurgitating pictures from the imgur front page so they have some picture, ANY picture, to post with their gas station hot take. I'm not going to do that because I honestly think the thread is better without it and I don't want to run a thread that I feel like I have to rule with an iron fist or anything. This is supposed to be a chill place to post images that made you exhale sharply through your nose.

That being said, the last few days have been pretty bad and yeah we should probably get back on track.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can always make it a slow thread. That'll cut back on the noise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

:lol:

Edit: There's no evidence that Archelon, the largest turtle ever, grew to that size. Unless this is some Mysterious Island fuckery

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Jul 5, 2022

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

What, every post must have a pic? That just turns into people regurgitating pictures from the imgur front page so they have some picture, ANY picture, to post with their gas station hot take.

Maybe, but I'd rather see a thread with 40 pics on a page where 50% of them might be funny, than 3 pages of posts with at most 5-10 pics scattered among them.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'd be really interested to hear more from the goon whose lab does brain research on ADHD and autism. I personally don't care if they post that here, but failing that a new thread or maybe the adult ADHD thread would be a good bet :shobon:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You know what I want to see on my messageboards? Pictures and nothing but. Sure, I got Reddit, Imgur, iFunny, etc., but what I'd really like, above all else, is to go to a messageboard and see images taken from those sites just posted over and over again. All this commentary and words and interesting asides where people share things about their lives is annoying to me, I want to see pictures that someone, somewhere might possibly think are sort of funny and nothing but.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR7htxXCjqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS4w1XwfQHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsiQcRK7NkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWPgv3biySc

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anyone else enjoying a 4th of july cookout?

For a quick TL;DR on distinctive features of ASD, one of the obvious differences is the cortex (the part of the brain that correspond to specific sensory regions, so a little region migt be a fingertip or a tiny patch on your left shoulder or a tiny piece of the visual field) showing slower and more limited adaptation. So a prolonged stimulus (like feeling something touching your skin) doesn't get filtered out as quickly or effectively.

The neat thing is that since adaption lingers after the stimulus is removed, you can deliver a spoof stimulus to create adaptation, and run tests where lack of adaption grants a more precise ability to distinguish between similar stimuli. In combination with other tests you can measure a lot of different low level neural behaviors without opening the skull. It's basically like how an eye doctor asking 'better or worse' repeatedly can give an absurdly precise description of how the lens in your eye is shaped.

Anyway sadly covid has kind of nuked our research for a couple years, but hopefully we will eventually be able to get back to publishing eventually.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

His penmanship can control is excellent!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

canmanship?

i guess check tumblr for proof

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Amoeba102 posted:

There's definitely some meme potential for G&T (gift and talented) as a kid vs G&T (gin and tonic) as an adult, with the whole thing about peaking early and becoming a depressed alcoholic.

...gently caress :sigh:

Not even kidding, I just bought a drink carbonator to make tonic water at home because I go through so much of it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bees on Wheat posted:

...gently caress :sigh:

Not even kidding, I just bought a drink carbonator to make tonic water at home because I go through so much of it.

At least you should be fairly safe against malaria, which will be moving north as temperatures rise.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Beachcomber posted:

At least you should be fairly safe against malaria, which will be moving north as temperatures rise.

That assumes they're going old school and making tonic water with essence of quinine.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dunno about that poster, but I've got a bottle of Jack Rudy tonic syrup and it's quite nice (and does have quinine but granted it's closer to modern than classic tonic levels)

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Behold, my 4th grade report card:

This is also approximately me. I started reading at 3, but I couldn’t operate scissors until I was 7.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shithouse Dave posted:

This is also approximately me. I started reading at 3, but I couldn’t operate scissors until I was 7.

I remember what a shock it was for me when I went to school (playschool and pre-school didn't have scissors - we cut out shapes by perforating with needles [no I don't know how needles are safe if scissors aren't]) and saw that other kids had like 40 000 ways of using scissors :wrong:. That made me think just now that kids aren't really taught about kids. If some adult had told me "yeah different people develop different motor skills at different times" I would've been less dismayed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm surprised just how much smarter kids are these days than my generation. Dumbass boomers didn't prepare us for poo poo, so we went into kindergarten and started learning the alphabet then, and the basics of reading. My nieces and nephews, and all their classmates, all basically knew the alphabet completely going into kindergarten, and most had a good handle on reading as well. It's great parents these days have a much more active interest in educating their children.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume that might have a lot to do with the greater availability of written media and writing as a communication method.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

That assumes they're going old school and making tonic water with essence of quinine.

I ingest so much quinine I fluoresce under blacklight

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm surprised just how much smarter kids are these days than my generation. Dumbass boomers didn't prepare us for poo poo, so we went into kindergarten and started learning the alphabet then, and the basics of reading. My nieces and nephews, and all their classmates, all basically knew the alphabet completely going into kindergarten, and most had a good handle on reading as well. It's great parents these days have a much more active interest in educating their children.

I literally got bumped up a year in Primary school because I went in with a high reading level.

tbh I wish they hadn't.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think you'll find my generation was actually the best and always will be. Our music too. Kids these days are just coddled by having parents that "love" them and "actively try to raise them".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I have three kids and I actually tussled a little with their preschool because I believed and still believe that pre-k kids should spend most of their time playing rather than getting a jump on what they’ll be taught in elementary school. This shift in earlier and earlier basic education seems to be related to the college entrance rat race, at least around here, and I don’t think it’s healthy