Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
New to the thread, looked a bit and didn’t see anything about this, apologies if it’s been beaten to death.

Ever since I upgraded my Mac to an M1, Plex quit recognizing new content on my USB connected HDD.

Delete everything. Start over (not a big deal to me, I’m not as crazy as some about customization and such). Turns out when Plex looks for folders, it will recognize my external media drive but not any folders contained within.

It will recognize folders (and folders within folders) on any other external drives I own. But this is a 4TB drive full of media and there’s no where else to really put all this garbage.

Known issue with a resolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So if I buy a Plex Pass for $5/mo for one month because I want to use some of the features (mainly just lazy and want to download a bunch of stuff for a plane ride), does this mean that I won't be able to take advantage of those Plex Pass lifetime deals in the future if I decide to do it? I remember reading people saying they had to pay full price for a lifetime subscription because at some point they subscribed to Plex Pass and canceled.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did both monthly and yearly subs before plunging for a lifetime when a good deal came around at the right time with no issues.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Downloads is a joke, better to use another tool

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did both monthly and yearly subs before plunging for a lifetime when a good deal came around at the right time with no issues.

“we’ve fixed downloads, we’re forcing you to use the new one now”

is actively worse than the old one, which is honestly impressive

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I guess I'm an outlier, but I've been using downloads for all my trips the last three months and it's been flawless. I've really been enjoying it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cruft posted:

I guess I'm an outlier, but I've been using downloads for all my trips the last three months and it's been flawless. I've really been enjoying it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fly Ricky posted:

New to the thread, looked a bit and didn’t see anything about this, apologies if it’s been beaten to death.

Ever since I upgraded my Mac to an M1, Plex quit recognizing new content on my USB connected HDD.

Delete everything. Start over (not a big deal to me, I’m not as crazy as some about customization and such). Turns out when Plex looks for folders, it will recognize my external media drive but not any folders contained within.

It will recognize folders (and folders within folders) on any other external drives I own. But this is a 4TB drive full of media and there’s no where else to really put all this garbage.

Known issue with a resolution?

To be clear you’re running the Plex server on your laptop? It sounds like a permissions issue of some kind but I’m not particularly familiar with how that works in OSX land.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

macOS usually asks for permission for software to access external drives these days. Worth going into settings and seeing if there’s a permission that isn’t flagged as yes for plex. Weird that it would see old stuff but not new, but it’s possibly a difference service that scans and that’s the one missing the permission. The good news is there’s a decent amount of M1 Plex users so there’ll undoubtedly be a fix fo this (although I don’t think it’s specifically an M processor issue).

Everytime Sonarr or Radarr updates I have to flag the software as executable by hand, it’s a bit of a pain but other than that my setup is rock solid so not the end of the world.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Please bare with me because I'm incredibly stupid. Had a look the last few pages and didn't find anything about this weird and very specific problem I have.

Server is an iMac specced pretty decently (use it for professional video editing work both locally and remotely), playback via PS4.

No matter what the native quality of the playback I have to lower it to get uninterrupted playback. The weird part is that it doesn't matter what the lower playback rate is, just that I've physically set it lower.

I can have a 1080p 10.2 MBPS file which pauses constantly, lower playback quality to 1080p 10 MBPS and have it play smoothly,

Than immediately after play a 1080p 7MBPS file which pauses constantly unless I lower it to 720p 4MBPS.

This behaviour seems to rule out all the obvious bottle necks as the actual size of the file being played back doesn't make a difference. Without the server doing the work of actively altering the file while streaming the video is unwatchable.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How is it connected to the network and how is the client connected to the network

Warbird
May 23, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

macOS usually asks for permission for software to access external drives these days. Worth going into settings and seeing if there’s a permission that isn’t flagged as yes for plex. Weird that it would see old stuff but not new, but it’s possibly a difference service that scans and that’s the one missing the permission. The good news is there’s a decent amount of M1 Plex users so there’ll undoubtedly be a fix fo this (although I don’t think it’s specifically an M processor issue).

Everytime Sonarr or Radarr updates I have to flag the software as executable by hand, it’s a bit of a pain but other than that my setup is rock solid so not the end of the world.

Not seeing new stuff smells of cached data to me. I’d be willing to bet that it can’t actually see/access the legacy files and everything would disappear in a hurry if you did a full refresh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah exactly, the scanner ran when it had access and if it was set to full rescan and empty trash it would probably clear that data out.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kingo Ligma posted:

Please bare with me because I'm incredibly stupid. Had a look the last few pages and didn't find anything about this weird and very specific problem I have.

Server is an iMac specced pretty decently (use it for professional video editing work both locally and remotely), playback via PS4.

No matter what the native quality of the playback I have to lower it to get uninterrupted playback. The weird part is that it doesn't matter what the lower playback rate is, just that I've physically set it lower.

I can have a 1080p 10.2 MBPS file which pauses constantly, lower playback quality to 1080p 10 MBPS and have it play smoothly,

Than immediately after play a 1080p 7MBPS file which pauses constantly unless I lower it to 720p 4MBPS.

This behaviour seems to rule out all the obvious bottle necks as the actual size of the file being played back doesn't make a difference. Without the server doing the work of actively altering the file while streaming the video is unwatchable.

Hows playback of the video file using Plex on another platform (web, iOS, android)? Plex on the consoles are pretty bad user experiences compared to Rokus/Apple TVs/Android TVs. If any of my friends have issues streaming any of my content on Plex, it's typically because they're trying to stream a video from a console.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Server is on wifi (not ideal but not optional), PS4 is hardwired.

Just tried it on a bunch of other platforms and yeah, it's definitely a console issue. Unfortunately that's not solvable without buying a new tv or a client computer for the lounge. Gutted but thems the breaks I guess.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Am I missing something? Why do you need a new tv? Get an apple tv and/or hardwire the server

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kingo Ligma posted:

Server is on wifi (not ideal but not optional), PS4 is hardwired.

Just tried it on a bunch of other platforms and yeah, it's definitely a console issue. Unfortunately that's not solvable without buying a new tv or a client computer for the lounge. Gutted but thems the breaks I guess.

Buy a < $50 Roku/Google TV or splurge on an Apple TV, problem solved.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I'm not in America and both are pretty much non existent here but yeah a Roku will solve the problem nicely, wasn't aware they had an optical audio out which is what my actual need is.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
planning moving the server off this NUC and on to a SFF PC. The transcoding is fine but sonic analysis is extremely cpu intensive and slow af on the NUC

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Kingo Ligma posted:

playback via PS4.

This is the biggest cause of the issue. The PS4 just doesn't do well with Plex for some reason and every user I've had reports better performance when they watch using anything else.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, while the experience on consoles is generally not great, it is uniquely terrible on PS4 and depending on what you have access to you could even consider trying an Xbox One instead or some similar approach.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i don't like how plex labels episodes of P&S wrong

each episode has two "episodes" in it but plex thinks the second episode is the second half of the first episode, and so on

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I have a user still playing via a PS3 apparently. He hasn't complained. Always transcodes to 720p.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

hbag posted:

each episode has two "episodes" in it but plex thinks the second episode is the second half of the first episode, and so on

Iirc there is some naming tomfoolery you can do to account for this.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Warbird posted:

bleh yeah i guess

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hbag posted:

Yeah I noticed this too. This is a thing with ALL shows that follow this formula (two 11-minute episodes in a single package), it's annoying. You can split the files into two which is awkward but at least works.

Warbird posted:

Yes and no unless there's an element of this I don't know. You can call a file like S01E01E02 and it'll be recognized as both episodes, but this will add the same media file twice so if you're playing stuff in order it'll play E01, E02, then E01 again and E02 again.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

hbag posted:

what is p and s

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Kingo Ligma posted:

The most likely culprit is there's something about the video the ps4 doesn't like but by forcing the server to transcode the file it turns the video into something the ps4 can play. It's really hard without getting into what your Linux ISOs are encoded (h264, h265, av1, vp8/9; aac, dolby digital, dolby digital plus) and containerized (mp4, avi, mkv). Some part of that equation is making the ps4 do software decoding instead of hardware decoding is my hypothesis. A measly .2 MBPS isn't going to change your network constraints from terrible to flawless. Also, by it's very nature streaming video is not nearly as sensitive to network latency as most people imagine. There's a very large buffer of video before you start since it's not a live stream the player can buffer as much as it wants before playing, limited by startup time and RAM.

You could try reencoding the files again with handbrake and see if that helps. It's going to hurt your quality in the long run to make your ps4 experience better. I can't say what the quality of the ps4 Plex client is as I have never used it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

Good to know!

cruft posted:

Nice... I'll only have my phone, I like the idea of being able to add something to my RSS feed while away, have it add to Plex, and then download on WiFi remotely before my flight if I want to add something specific to it. Or download a show that aired while I'm gone. For $5 I'll give it a try.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kri kri posted:

what is p and s

Probably this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I now see why they abbreviated it.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yep

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EL BROMANCE posted:

I now see why they abbreviated it.

:hmmyes:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Paw Patrol has the similar 2 episodes in 1 episode issue, but it's not consistent.

Here's how I have them named that makes it work well with Plex:

2in1: Paw Patrol - S06E13-E14 - Pups Save Gustavos Guitar - Pups Save the Yoga Goats
Singles: Paw Patrol - S06E15 - Mighty Pups, Super Paws When Super Kitties Attack

It will show E13 and E14 separate in the GUI. When you play either episode it will play the same file from the beginning. When you finish watching it then both will be marked as played.

Currently there doesn't seem to be a better workaround.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
the workaround is to do a hostile takeover of TVDB so that they stop being pedants about kids shows that have always been in pairs or triplets and just make them single episodes like they aired originally.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah according to TVDB there's like 140 episodes in season 1 of Animaniacs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had the opposite fun earlier, 2 episodes that originally aired as a single double length episode (which is how TVDB lists it and no entry on XEM) that then got split back up for streaming services. Luckily MKVToolNix plays nicely with HEVC so it was a fairly simple fix in the end.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I can’t look at the moment but maybe tmdb has them ordered properly?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

the workaround is to do a hostile takeover of TVDB so that they stop being pedants about kids shows that have always been in pairs or triplets and just make them single episodes like they aired originally.

Yeah, for real. Although some episodes can get split up and redistributed differently for various reasons, generally it should be simpler to keep with the "pairs of episodes" system.

I actually took the extreme step of actually splitting files into two with MKVToolNix for Plex to manage that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

Have y'all had to deal with organizing "money heist" when you started off with the episodes that weren't recut by Netflix.