Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BobTheJanitor posted:

Kudos to whoever had the names subtly light up when someone was speaking. (UA I assume) Not sure if it was just intended to help differentiate because everyone was masked, but I hope it sticks around. Usually the couch folks are so small on the screen that you can't tell who's talking even without masks.
I think it originated last year during the online GDQs, which makes sense because a lot of video conferencing software has a little animation hooked up to the monitoring circuit of the audio stack (what lets you see when you're speaking into the microphone); although obviously they're doing it differently, technically speaking.
It really works for the GDQ overlay too, I appreciate it a heck of a lot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yeah, the light-when-speaking is an excellent addition to the interface. I do think the interface took a step backward this time around though: having information about the run and runners cycle in and out of visibility was irritating. Other than that, though, I think the UI is pretty close to its final form, it's hard to imagine how they could improve on it from here.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I swear every single time I looked at the run info box it was on the opposite of the info I wanted to see think they could just put all that stuff on the screen at the same time instead of having it cycle back and forth.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
"At one point in the week I was walking through the parking lot and someone pulled up next to me and gave me a lamp from their trunk" - Sent

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SeXReX posted:

"At one point in the week I was walking through the parking lot and someone pulled up next to me and gave me a lamp from their trunk" - Sent
:allears:

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

TheMopeSquad posted:

I swear every single time I looked at the run info box it was on the opposite of the info I wanted to see think they could just put all that stuff on the screen at the same time instead of having it cycle back and forth.

Lmao it's such a first world problem, but :same:

It was oddly infuriating. I want the runner? It's the time, I want the time? It's the runner. Or the year and console, which I literally never wanted.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Finally watching this SM Kaizo run, and while OatsnGoats is doing extremely well, the couch and banter with the runner are making me die of 2nd-hand embarassment, i.e. cringe. I want to watch it all the way through, but i'm not sure if I can.

To Be Clear, I like the run.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I think the ui was fine. I mean the info cycled pretty often and it's not like I was going to stop watching because I don't see the estimate/category immediately. Also Xthing the "name lights up when they talk" as a great thing, with masks on it was unbelievably helpful.

Overall a good event, even if I missed the whole last day.
VOD time.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Especially the Ratchet and Clank ran affirmed me that this whole thing is still just "nerds hanging out having fun" and I loved it for that.
I will not be surprised to learn that the thread hated it or something tho.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Watched the Super Mario World and Super Mario Maker 2 relays and Shoujo is so loving sublime with her reads holy poo poo. Head and shoulders above the rest of the people involved in those relays.

Those were both really fun.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Feldegast42 posted:

Wait what was this speech?

https://twitch.tv/videos/1518162268?t=81530s

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I watched the Super Mario World race yesterday and it was awesome. Was really bummed that Poo couldn't run... I think it was Luminescent or the Celeste SMW ROM hack.

I then watch the Zelda Ocarina of Time TAS and I honestly have no idea what in the world happened. So, from my understanding, the cart was a standard retail cart and they exploited some glitches to show off some beta content and then reprogrammed it to get a triforce and show off some BOTW ending that hooked into Twitch chat?. Either way, arbitrary code execution is a wild thing and as broken as OOT is, it doesn't surprise me that eventually it got cracked like an egg to that degree.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

KKKLIP ART posted:

I watched the Super Mario World race yesterday and it was awesome. Was really bummed that Poo couldn't run... I think it was Luminescent or the Celeste SMW ROM hack.

I then watch the Zelda Ocarina of Time TAS and I honestly have no idea what in the world happened. So, from my understanding, the cart was a standard retail cart and they exploited some glitches to show off some beta content and then reprogrammed it to get a triforce and show off some BOTW ending that hooked into Twitch chat?. Either way, arbitrary code execution is a wild thing and as broken as OOT is, it doesn't surprise me that eventually it got cracked like an egg to that degree.

They used TASbot to load continuous payloads to form a fully scripted and programmed narrative around real existing beta elements embedded in the standard cart, culminating in [spoiler].

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

And the way that they couched it in 'this is being ran on a stock unmodified OOT cart on a stock unmodified N64' was super disingenuous and misleading! They could have straight up said at the start of the run that they found kokiri boy, butterfly and a different name for odd potion and ran with it to make a goofy fanfic about getting the triforce, and learning the full song of time from Nabooru/beating the running guy, but instead they blurred the line between what was actually beta content and what they made up and on top of that the sheikh going 'o-of c c ourse I'm a boy!' line was frankly gross and weird

Yes the run was absurdly technically impressive but I and I am sure a lot of people came away from that feeling duped

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
do you feel duped when you watch pro wrestling?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Beasteh posted:

And the way that they couched it in 'this is being ran on a stock unmodified OOT cart on a stock unmodified N64' was super disingenuous and misleading! They could have straight up said at the start of the run that they found kokiri boy, butterfly and a different name for odd potion and ran with it to make a goofy fanfic about getting the triforce, and learning the full song of time from Nabooru/beating the running guy, but instead they blurred the line between what was actually beta content and what they made up and on top of that the sheikh going 'o-of c c ourse I'm a boy!' line was frankly gross and weird

Yes the run was absurdly technically impressive but I and I am sure a lot of people came away from that feeling duped

So, I feel a bit daft, which parts were from actual uncovered beta assets?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

do you feel duped when you watch pro wrestling?

No because I'm invested in the loving kayfabe are you for real?

KKKLIP ART posted:

So, I feel a bit daft, which parts were from actual uncovered beta assets?

The Arwing
Inventory editor
Giant rupee
Beta Great Fairy model
Beta staff roll
The Kokiri boy in the lost woods
The butterfly
Melting the ice in Zora's Domain

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 4, 2022

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Beasteh posted:

And the way that they couched it in 'this is being ran on a stock unmodified OOT cart on a stock unmodified N64' was super disingenuous and misleading!

No, it wasn't. They didn't say everything they were doing was on the cart. They were very explicit about stating exactly which bits of content were on the cart, and they have to say "this is an unmodified game/system" because otherwise some idiot will accuse them of just playing a romhack.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Zurai posted:

No, it wasn't. They didn't say everything they were doing was on the cart. They were very explicit about stating exactly which bits of content were on the cart, and they have to say "this is an unmodified game/system" because otherwise some idiot will accuse them of just playing a romhack.

Yeah they were very clear "THIS IS BETA CONTENT" why would they do that if the rest was ACE instead? I didn't think it was confusing at all... And it was awesome!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Beasteh posted:

No because I'm invested in the loving kayfabe are you for real?

The Arwing
Inventory editor
Giant rupee
Beta Great Fairy model
Beta staff roll
The Kokiri boy in the lost woods
The butterfly
Melting the ice in Zora's Domain

The extended orcarina playing as well, right? Also -- what about the fight against the running guy? That seems dumb enough that I can see where it could get slipped in, and his movement patterns were similar to the wizzrobe in MM so I can see that being old legacy code

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

There is fundamentally not much difference in the end results between using ACE to inject code that wasn't present in the rom and a romhack.

I overheard many a conversation about it on site where people were confused/wrong about what even happened so, yes, I would say it's fair to say that it was presented in at least a mildly confusing way.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

SeXReX posted:

There is fundamentally not much difference in the end results between using ACE to inject code that wasn't present in the rom and a romhack.
It's like the difference between a card trick being done with a modified deck versus one where a force happens during the performance. The appearance of the trick is the same but it's very fundamentally different.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

The extended orcarina playing as well, right? Also -- what about the fight against the running guy? That seems dumb enough that I can see where it could get slipped in, and his movement patterns were similar to the wizzrobe in MM so I can see that being old legacy code

You could always pitch shift notes with L R and the stick in OOT it was just never required to do for any of the songs

The running guy fight was made up

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

kaschei posted:

It's like the difference between a card trick being done with a modified deck versus one where a force happens during the performance. The appearance of the trick is the same but it's very fundamentally different.

A deck of cards is something the entire audience is far more familiar with so when the magician pulls out the 73 of stars no one goes "holy poo poo that has been in every deck of cards this whole time?"

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Having consumed a frankly unreasonable amount of alpha/beta OoT content in my life, the only thing I didn’t see a clear explanation for post-stream was the mask abilities. I think they said that they found data indicating there was prototyping for MM-style masks in OoT, but https://gettriforce.link doesn’t mention the masks at all. It might be an invention for the convenience of the script they wrote, but I’m curious nevertheless.

I really enjoyed it! It was fanfic-y, but it implemented a lot of things I recognized and have speculated about myself. That being said, I doubt that most viewers had enough context to separate the two. I think starting with an explanation that there’s a blend of real elements (which will be pointed out), theoretical elements, and fictional/flavor would have been helpful.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, to put this into perspective, the old ACE TASBot runs were way clearer about "oh this is farce" with things like "secret debug menu in SMB3 that activates Color A Dinosaur and has an English message from 'Miyamoto'" or "we coded Pong and Snake in using the game's assets". This time it didn't really have that hard slam of "okay now we're fuckin' around".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

secretly best girl posted:

Yeah, to put this into perspective, the old ACE TASBot runs were way clearer about "oh this is farce" with things like "secret debug menu in SMB3 that activates Color A Dinosaur and has an English message from 'Miyamoto'" or "we coded Pong and Snake in using the game's assets". This time it didn't really have that hard slam of "okay now we're fuckin' around".

Botw link appeared and twitch chat was in the sky

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

nintendo was just really ahead of their time

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah, the very end. It ramped up slowly and that makes the transition unclear. Criticism of the bit isn't a "poo poo sucks man".

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Not that i care all that much but I thought the running man bit was real beta content.

But I've never played OoT through before so what do I know.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
On the other end of the spectrum, as someone familiar with code execution exploits and a working knowledge of MIPS assembler it was pretty clear to me that they were inserting data and code to modify the game on the fly after the bot did its initial set-up. The view angle manipulation presumably wrote some code that would start reading controller 2-4's input as code/data when run, it's very similar to the previous tasbot ACE shenanigans. Twitch integration is done by the bot reading chat, then transmitting chat to the console over the controller connection. Conceptually, none of the pieces are that difficult; actually writing the code to do it all and make the pieces work together on an N64 has to have been hard as hell. However, since I don't know a thing about Ocarina of Time beta content I had no way of telling if stuff like the Arwing really was left over on-cart content. Instead of just enjoying the weird poo poo they were doing to OoT I also had to play a mediocre social deduction game of figuring out when and how the presenter was bullshitting me, which was less fun than enjoying the weird poo poo they were doing to OoT.

I would've preferred a more straightforward explanation. "As you may know, there's some beta content left on the cart. We're now going to use that content to modify the game ... slightly" would've been at least as interesting and surprising as running a confusing con on the audience. It was a cool run and hack, they should trust themselves.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
r u telling me twitch chat isn't built in to oot

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

broken pixel posted:

Having consumed a frankly unreasonable amount of alpha/beta OoT content in my life, the only thing I didn’t see a clear explanation for post-stream was the mask abilities. I think they said that they found data indicating there was prototyping for MM-style masks in OoT, but https://gettriforce.link doesn’t mention the masks at all. It might be an invention for the convenience of the script they wrote, but I’m curious nevertheless.

I really enjoyed it! It was fanfic-y, but it implemented a lot of things I recognized and have speculated about myself. That being said, I doubt that most viewers had enough context to separate the two. I think starting with an explanation that there’s a blend of real elements (which will be pointed out), theoretical elements, and fictional/flavor would have been helpful.

Thant link had a lot of really cool info. All the TAS blocks have been super impressive but just straight reprogramming a game and essentially creating a ROMhack on the fly is wild.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Xerophyte posted:

However, since I don't know a thing about Ocarina of Time beta content I had no way of telling if stuff like the Arwing really was left over on-cart content.

What, them saying, "Yes, the Arwing is actually on OOT's cart, they used it as a beta test of Volvagia's flying mechanics" wasn't enough to clue you in?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the arwing being in the game has been known about for like 20 years lmao

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022
Twitch chat isn't real.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think anyone unfamiliar with gamedev can see something like the arwing and assume that they must've been loving around and added it via the ACE payload, but most games have a ton of unseen visual assets that never got trimmed from the final build for reasons of stability or time, like demon's souls having a gears of war gun just hanging out

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SeXReX posted:

I overheard many a conversation about it on site where people were confused/wrong about what even happened so, yes, I would say it's fair to say that it was presented in at least a mildly confusing way.

This feels like a recurring theme with TASBot segments. They always bring something very impressive and then do a less than optimal job of describing how they did it (Usually because it's nightmarishly complex and highly technical.)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ACE is an especially nightmarish thing to try to explain to a layperson watching, since it has to assume you already know what memory is and how data is actualized as bits for "we press the d-pad really fast on four controllers and BotW link appears to say arigato" to make any kind of sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I watched the SMB All-Stars + World ACE run today (missed it Saturday) and they did a decent job of explaining the ACE exploits and how they executed it, yet I was still sitting here screaming "SORCERY!"