Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

GD_American posted:

I never understood anime.

Same. I’ve watched Cowboy Bebop and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, but both more as stories which just happened to be in anime form. I don’t get the attraction of it otherwise. Maybe it’s just a form of escapism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Skwirl posted:

If I was only gonna watch 1 Gundam, what would I watch?

That depends. The franchise has been around since 1979 and includes full length, 50~ episode series, shorter OVA’s of various lengths (Usually 6-12~ episodes), movies that stand alone or are compilations of shows. Some of those are set in their own universes without any connection to other shows other than having a Gundam design, others are sequels or part of much more developed settings. You’ve got various different animation styles and tones between the shows done over the years.

Like, to quickly explain the show that started this discussion, Mobile Fighter G Gundam, is a stand alone 49-episode series from 1994. It’s got that mid-90s anime aesthetic (Sharp, pointy character designs) and the base premise is national send Gundams to Earth to fight in a tournament to determine what nation is in control for the next four years. It develops a lot more from there, but it’s a ton of fun and it’s usually considered one of the best shows.

I usually recommend Gundam 0080. It’s only a six episode OVA, so it’s a shorter time investment and that’s usually a selling point. It’s from 1989, so the animation style is different but it’s still very good quality, and it’s got a synth heavy 80s soundtrack which some people like, some don’t (I’m the former). It’s set in the Universal Century during the same war as the original series, but you don’t need really any background knowledge that the show doesn’t provide to follow along with it. Unlike G Gundam, this is much more of a war story, and how it impacts a 10-year old boy in a neutral space colony.

Beyond that, IIRC the compilation movie trilogy of the original series is on Netflix. They were done in the early 80s and added some improved animation here and there, but for the most part it’s still the original stuff from 1979, so it is what it is. If you can handle older animation, it’s got a funky late 70s soundtrack and is ultimately a pretty solid edit of the original 43-episode series with some minor changes to it.

So yeah, there’s tons of options, it just depends on what you’re looking for and how much time you’d want to initially invest.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been meaning to watch the Gundam movie trilogy on Netflix. I do like the idea of taking an anime series and editing it down into movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
New Dorktown about the most important football game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcVZZuj_WE

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Bandai also regularly uploads series to their Gundaminfo Youtube channel, so if you're wanting to start watching Gundam and don't see anything on your streaming services that you like, it might be worth a look there.

I just checked, they currently have Iron-Blooded Orphans, Breakers, Build Divers, Build Fighters Try, and SD Gundam World available to watch, but they have uploaded older movies like Char's Counterattack in the past. If you like Gundam it's worth following

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I tried rewatching Gundam Wing again and had to cut out after like 20 episodes. I forgot how meandering it was. Watching it on toonami in college was probably more tolerable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I tried rewatching Gundam Wing again and had to cut out after like 20 episodes. I forgot how meandering it was. Watching it on toonami in college was probably more tolerable.

How drunk and/or high were you watching Toonami in college?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

How drunk and/or high were you watching Toonami in college?

Not at all. I didn’t start drinking until my senior year and I never liked pot.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gentle goons I am playing Red Dead Redemption 2 for the first time finally.

The plot just straight up died. I'm in that campout ridge by Valentine and like nothing is happening. I have nothing driving the story forward. I'm running around shooting random animals and bored to tears. Help.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

kiimo posted:

The plot just straight up died. I'm in that campout ridge by Valentine and like nothing is happening. I have nothing driving the story forward. I'm running around shooting random animals and bored to tears. Help.

you need to look for the icons on the big map, iirc maybe you have to go help micah break out of jail somewhere?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was in a parade this morning, and after finishing it I was heading to another one when I heard about shots being fired at a different parade. Got to my second parade this morning and it was canceled.

I'm not pissed about not having to do that second parade, but I am pissed that not even a parade is safe anymore. I texted with some friends in that town, and in one case their neighbors had gone to it and ended up hiding in an elevator with their 4 kids.

gently caress the "happy 4th" bullshit.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

JPrime posted:

you need to look for the icons on the big map, iirc maybe you have to go help micah break out of jail somewhere?

Yeah, gotta bust him out of the jail in Strawberry.

I’m on another play through now. Just the perfect game.

I love going out of my way to murder every Lemoyne Raider and KKK rally I see. Makes me feel just slightly better about my IRL impotent rage.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I was in a parade this morning, and after finishing it I was heading to another one when I heard about shots being fired at a different parade. Got to my second parade this morning and it was canceled.

I'm not pissed about not having to do that second parade, but I am pissed that not even a parade is safe anymore. I texted with some friends in that town, and in one case their neighbors had gone to it and ended up hiding in an elevator with their 4 kids.

Were you at the Highland one near Chicago?

Saw some pics with lots of blood, some brains and defib pad backing along with some covered bodies in the back. Looked pretty grim.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

JPrime posted:

Thank you! Someone did mention that in the game.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The world is getting crazier and crazier and we keep making it easier to get guns. Unfortunately, I think poo poo like this is only going to become more common.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I hopped on some online dating apps today.

It has already been an experience lol

May your glorious pecs do all the work for you.

The new lady and I sat in the back of my car after a round of golf yesterday chatting and we both apologized for awkwardness because we’re both in our 30s and haven’t dated in a long time, and rejoiced at (hopefully) the fact we wouldn’t have to be doing any Tinder, Bumble, etc anytime soon. Then we went back to mine and smooched a lot, then down the street to a friend’s 4th/Birthday party and I made her a double smash burg on the grill and she said it was possibly the best burg she’s ever had :yayclod:

Also, phwoar what a final ten laps at Silverstone

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

On an Alaskan cruise this week and there is a mix of Canadian, British and Americans. Some of the side conversations from the Brits and Canucks about the ‘Mericans wearing their best Stars and Stripes t shirts are amusing. Back to drinking coffee and watching whales go by the ship.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

kiimo posted:

I bounced off it a couple weeks ago cause I had no idea what was going on after i hunted some deer.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

It's bonus Sunday, but all of our projects require going outside. As a result, I've spent two hours playing Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic, and now I'm making the fish taco rice bowls we were going to have for dinner at lunch instead. Going to put it at 50/50 we end up taking an edible and killing the rest of the day on the couch and/or playing games. A successful day, imo.

Also our friend who lives in Philly got her moving back to MN date pushed out. Her and her bf decided it would be cheaper to buy the old Accord we still had (what I was driving until getting the WRX) instead of her renting a vehicle every time she comes back home. Got to sell it to someone at a price I'm happy with and never involved the general public, a true win win.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a sexual elk posted:

I bounced off it a couple weeks ago cause I had no idea what was going on after i hunted some deer.

If you're just doing story stuff and sidequests and not messing around too much with all of the other random poo poo you can do the game starts off incredibly slow, but ends up getting pretty damned fast eventually.

I can see why people bounce off of it, but I also obviously see how people get really into it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
And America happened again.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1544024296321867777

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Skwirl posted:

If I was only gonna watch 1 Gundam, what would I watch?

The mobile suit Gundam trilogy on netflix

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1543958306817019905

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
hey yall Rogue is running a sale on dumbbells. $1 a pound, which used to be the regular price for weights pre-Pandemic. Only 15/25/35s though

https://www.roguefitness.com/rubber-hex-dumbbells

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

That was a fun night

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That looks so incredibly badass

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LeeMajors posted:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Were you at the Highland one near Chicago?

Saw some pics with lots of blood, some brains and defib pad backing along with some covered bodies in the back. Looked pretty grim.

I was in the Winnetka parade, which is two towns south of Highland Park. My band may have marched its last parade.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The sellers of the house countered, we accepted the offer. It seems a bit high but we are getting it appraised, and if the appraisal is low, we can re negotiate or pull out. But so far so good.

I have knots in my stomach rn

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Not at all. I didn’t start drinking until my senior year and I never liked pot.

You loving missed out then.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/1544025147694321667?s=21&t=9BlnjD6ddVCCK9u8A55MbA

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

seiferguy posted:

The sellers of the house countered, we accepted the offer. It seems a bit high but we are getting it appraised, and if the appraisal is low, we can re negotiate or pull out. But so far so good.

Congrats and good luck!

And yeah the first few days after the offer gets accepted are loving rough.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Honestly if you have those options built in you are very lucky and that rules. In a lot of areas the buyer is over a barrel and essentially has to offer without contingencies.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Well I'm really glad my relatives who live there were all running late today or else they would have been there when it happened

This happened 2 blocks from where my grandma used to live

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I was in the Winnetka parade, which is two towns south of Highland Park. My band may have marched its last parade.

That’s good I’m glad you weren’t in that mess.

God like what the gently caress are we even doing as a country? I’m so loving sick of it. There is no good reason for insta-kill machines to be so easy to acquire.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
A podcast I listen to namedropped Vincent VonGoatse out of nowhere

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Happy 4th. Hope you're sinkin cold ones not dodging hot ones.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
It’s pouring rain and dipshits are still shooting of fireworks. My dog refuses to even get near the door and is probably going to have an accident in the house.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

not gonna post the shooters picture or anything, but 22 yo 4chan poster, white nationalist discord, went to trump rallies, checks all the boxes

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My dog is so doped up haha. Just staring at the wall.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

BlindSite posted:

Happy 4th. Hope you're sinkin cold ones not dodging hot ones.

Real damned if you do damned if you don’t vibe

https://twitter.com/julianfeeld/status/1543686299701243904

I’m already a couple deep because I’ll be damned if I get shifted to yet another, worse timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eifert Posting posted:

A podcast I listen to namedropped Vincent VonGoatse out of nowhere

Led By Donkeys?