Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

On the C64 I had the game "The Mask of the Sun" and could never get out of the first part of it because of a timed jump across lava that I could never do, and it would make the game go back to an earlier scene. I've carried this grudge for like 25 years or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mask_of_the_Sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

titties posted:

I still have my copy of baldur's gate and the tales of the sword coast expansion but i could never even finish the first dungeon because my whole party was always instantly wiped by the wizard and i could never figure out what i was doing wrong
As the world's foremost expert on Baldur's Gate, I think you are not talking about Baldur's Gate.

(You may, however, be talking about Baldur's Gate II, though the wizard does not attack you directly in the opening dungeon [there is no opening dungeon in either of the other two])

CaptainSarcastic posted:

On the C64 I had the game "The Mask of the Sun" and could never get out of the first part of it because of a timed jump across lava that I could never do, and it would make the game go back to an earlier scene. I've carried this grudge for like 25 years or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mask_of_the_Sun
Oh my god, someone talking about the game I accidentally stumbled onto once when looking into 1980s computer games I had never heard of and realizing I really missed the boat on graphical interactive fiction

I saved three different copies from three different systems of one random picture of two dudes talking from that game and kept almost using it as an avatar

oh here it is

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

As the world's foremost expert on Baldur's Gate, I think you are not talking about Baldur's Gate.

(You may, however, be talking about Baldur's Gate II, though the wizard does not attack you directly in the opening dungeon [there is no opening dungeon in either of the other two])

Oh my god, someone talking about the game I accidentally stumbled onto once when looking into 1980s computer games I had never heard of and realizing I really missed the boat on graphical interactive fiction

I saved three different copies from three different systems of one random picture of two dudes talking from that game and kept almost using it as an avatar

oh here it is

Oh my God, is that Raoul?

I got so frustrated at the game and since it required text entry for commands (like "go north") I kept trying things like "kick Raoul," "punch Raoul," "kill Raoul" to see how it would respond.

Also, I forget hold old I am - this grudge is at least 35 years old.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

azurite posted:

Up until the Switch version, the 32X version was the only one with this banger (Replay BGM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BCm1OvRHkQ&t=427s

That rules

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought the BN in town had Double Indemnity and Moonrise Kingdom. Then I got an email canceling my order. Guess I’ll have to have them shipped.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Imagine how many different things a time traveler who came back to 1989 would have to explain to you in order to tell you what ended up happening to RadioShack:

RadioShack's Twitter Wasn't Hacked, It's Just a Crypto Shill Now

quote:

This week, the Twitter account for RadioShack went from just weird to totally apeshit. In short order, the company’s entire feed became a veritable trove of NSFW material, including musings about vibrators, “big tittes” (misspelling theirs), and tweets trolling celebrities and other corporate accounts. Remarks ranged from “sometimes i just feel like i should do more coke with @elonmusk” to “Lick ma balls @Wendys.”

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

History Comes Inside! posted:

Did the 32x have any killer games?

Maybe if you hit someone really hard with one

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

The Last Ninja's apple ii port had what I believe was an impossible jump at the end of the first level, with the dragon. There are a ton of literal pixel-perfect jumps to get to that point, and it frustrated the hell out of me. That game should've been the best thing ever at the time and ten year old me was livid that he couldn't get past that goddamned dragon

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

I played a lot of Dallas Quest as a kid. It's gets pretty weird towards the end, when you get out of Southfork.

It's somewhat weird even in Southfork.

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug

flavor.flv posted:

That's better than the dos port, in which you could not get to the dam level at all because there's a jump in an early sewer level that's too long to clear, and nobody noticed until after the game shipped

Displaced Gamers did a video on this a few years ago

https://youtu.be/cZLed1krEEQ

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

If it did support two player with the nearby seat, that would be the best inflight entertainment ever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've been on a plane that had a very similar in-seat entertainment system, but with much simpler games. There was a snake clone, a tetris clone, solitaire, and some other stuff. There was however a leaderboard for snake and tetris, which displayed different names and numbers as the flight went on, leading me to believe that at least the leaderboard was shared between the different seats.

There was no one on that plane who could challenge my Tetris skills :dukedog:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

why does it have a smell button (well, SMEL)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I inherited my parents' old Nokia TV tuner. It has Snake.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Was anyone here into 90s Amiga mods/trackers/demos? I'm trying to find a dance/techno track that had a vocal that said "What. Is. Love". It wasn't sung, it was said as 3 separate words. Not Haddaway or Howard Jones samples, either.
I thought Human Target or Jesus on Es, and it's not those but definitely from that period. Around the time of 9 Fingers, Hardwired, etc, but I don't think it was a demo, just a music track.

The drat thing is going through my head the last few days and I'd love to find it so at least my brain isn't feeding me just that sample and some drum beats.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Gromit posted:

Was anyone here into 90s Amiga mods/trackers/demos? I'm trying to find a dance/techno track that had a vocal that said "What. Is. Love". It wasn't sung, it was said as 3 separate words. Not Haddaway or Howard Jones samples, either.
I thought Human Target or Jesus on Es, and it's not those but definitely from that period. Around the time of 9 Fingers, Hardwired, etc, but I don't think it was a demo, just a music track.

The drat thing is going through my head the last few days and I'd love to find it so at least my brain isn't feeding me just that sample and some drum beats.
I basically lived the Demoscene from the early to late 1990s, but that track does not ring any bells. It may help that I primarily knew the Amiga scene from the late 1980s to early 1990s (as in, before I was involved) and then almost solely knew PC tracks from then on out.

That said, it would not surprise me if the track's title were some combination of those words, given the logic tracker musicians generally paid to their vocal samples due to their relative rarity. So... check Demozoo with my starting suggestion, haha. Lots of potential, but of course they could all just be Haddaway covers. You could also check Exotica though when tracking down artist information for my own random collection I usually had better luck with Demozoo.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Arivia posted:

why does it have a smell button (well, SMEL)

lol

i think that's SMBL for symbol tho

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Gromit posted:

Was anyone here into 90s Amiga mods/trackers/demos? I'm trying to find a dance/techno track that had a vocal that said "What. Is. Love". It wasn't sung, it was said as 3 separate words.

How sure are you that it wasn't (one of the many versions of) "What Time is Love" by the KLF?

I know you said three words, but we're talking 30 years ago and memory is a fickle bastard.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Trabant posted:

How sure are you that it wasn't (one of the many versions of) "What Time is Love" by the KLF?

I know you said three words, but we're talking 30 years ago and memory is a fickle bastard.

Oh yeah, no chance it's the KLF. I was a huge fan and would have spotted that a mile out.

@Dr. Quarex - yeah I've tried searching based on title but it's all Haddaway all the time, and taking that out doesn't get me any closer. I was hoping it would be a popular track so would immediately ring some bells, but perhaps not.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

what are your favorite mods from back then?
the ones I remembered listening to the most are ## stink-bomb ## and Achmed the turk

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have hundreds of favorite Demoscene songs but I am delighted to see Achmed the Turk mentioned given the odds of any individual person having heard any individual track written by a junior high student in Finland in 1997 or whatever are so incredibly low

(I have no idea if Kung is Finnish or was 13 in 1997)

Let me think of some of my favorites and see what Last.FM says my favorites of the last ~15 years are

Dr. Awesome - Fantastic Voyage (Brain Level)
Dr. Awesome - Cubulus 1 (Laidback 1)
Jogeir Liljedahl - Variations
Fleshbrain - Soothsayer
Ranger Rick - Alpha Gate
Ranger Rick - Emborian
Krystall - In Transit
Ghetto - Eye
C.C.Catch - Sonic BoOoOoM!
C.C.Catch - -=Into Another World=-
C.C.Catch - -)Twilight Peaks(-
Skaven - 1980 Autonomous
Walkman - Creative Human
Walkman - We're the Devils
Dirk - Transform<Chip.V>
Skorpik - My Styles
Bruno - On the Road
Acidline - I Put Robot in You
Heatbeat - Anette
????? - Dumber Bumber
????? - Depressions2
Tempest - Acidjazzed Evening (thanks Timbaland)
Cyb0rg Jeff - Waterworld Dolphinkingdom
Lizardking & Codec - Heartland
Lizardking - Ogle-V
quarex - warriors of the wind
Beathoven - Flying on the Wings
ELC - Patzga
MARK SALUD - INSTANTLY MAGIC~!
Radix - Plopalou
Virt - Blast Off Forever
Eco - Thunderforce '91
Infinity - Digital Dreamer
Theron - Sound Device
Ghidorah - Kom igen och dansa!
Mutley - Boneless
Greatfox - If Life (oh no I need to stop, will stop on this track that blew me away as much from someone properly syncing up lyrics in FastTracker as anything else)

A lot of the songs I initially thought were Demoscene when looking at my favorites are actually modern SID remixes, which...sort of feel like they count but I do think of them as distinct genres

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Boesendorfer P.S.S. rules forever.

I'm looking for a mod that has a sample from some movie or actual Crowley like ritual, and it says "I am the blade... I am the [whatever]" real doom and gloom type stuff, and can't remember anything else other than it's a 4-channel MOD

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I tend to separate tracker music into a couple of different categories:

1) Chip tunes, which are interesting due to the size limitations and technical aspects
2) Demo music, which is cool and fun, but not something I would buy on a CD
3) "Real music" which is something that worked/works alongside actual released music

There were a few years in the 90s when me and some friends largely listened to tracker music because it was free and it was cool because it was done by normal people. A lot like bandcamp and soundcloud now.

Some of my favorites in the "real music" mods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjOQainaQP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcuPkym_CS4

Also ton of jungle music which is the music genre that is best suited for Amiga mods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NjqNwHidpk

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Gromit posted:

Was anyone here into 90s Amiga mods/trackers/demos? I'm trying to find a dance/techno track that had a vocal that said "What. Is. Love". It wasn't sung, it was said as 3 separate words.
Like the sample on the beginning of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD71055315c

I think this was the b track on the groove is in the heart single. It sounds itself not too dissimilar to what could be done in a tracker, but on the other hand also really an easy to sample snippet, so idk if it's the track (or a remix of it) that you're actually thinking of.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I used to hate the chiptune songs on bootleg game installers, but I've totally come around to them and now I let them play out past the time of install.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Flipperwaldt posted:

Like the sample on the beginning of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD71055315c

I think this was the b track on the groove is in the heart single. It sounds itself not too dissimilar to what could be done in a tracker, but on the other hand also really an easy to sample snippet, so idk if it's the track (or a remix of it) that you're actually thinking of.

Christ on a cracker, that's pretty much it! It's a much harder bassline but is exactly that sample and the following riffs. Cheers mate - that makes it a lot easier to find. It's definitely not just a remake of that track, but it uses a ton of it.

e: A quick bit of Googling has not shown anything, as I'm sure the mod had no mention on Deee-Lite in the name. I'd remember that as I'm really not a fan of theirs at all. But still, getting closer.

Gromit has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Jul 5, 2022

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Dr. Quarex posted:

(You may, however, be talking about Baldur's Gate II, though the wizard does not attack you directly in the opening dungeon [there is no opening dungeon in either of the other two]

The packaging definitely says Baldur's Gate, I'm probably just remembering it incorrectly.

E: is possible that i got bg, bg2, and tales in a bundle at a software swap meet or flea market.

titties has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Jul 5, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think they may be confusing the first dungeon with Friendly Arm Inn, where a wizard confronts you and almost always fears your party and kills someone unless you get lucky with interrupts from your party or the guards you can get help from.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Stumbled across a PC XT compatible made in ex-Yu in 1989-ish. Not very notable besides having a rare (for PCs) wedge design that cribbed from Amiga/Atari of the time:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Trabant posted:

Stumbled across a PC XT compatible made in ex-Yu in 1989-ish. Not very notable besides having a rare (for PCs) wedge design that cribbed from Amiga/Atari of the time:

There was also the more common Schneider Euro PC. Europeans were so used to the C64/Speccy/Amiga form factor that they tried to replicate it with PCs, but the thing that made PC eventually kill the micros was its expandability. And a baseline IBM compatible was worse than an Amiga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneider_Euro_PC

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

There was also the more common Schneider Euro PC. Europeans were so used to the C64/Speccy/Amiga form factor that they tried to replicate it with PCs, but the thing that made PC eventually kill the micros was its expandability. And a baseline IBM compatible was worse than an Amiga.

At that point wasn't the 8088 obsolete? I remember my younger brother bought a computer in 1985 or so that had an 8088, but I think we had a 286 by 1989 or so.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

At that point wasn't the 8088 obsolete? I remember my younger brother bought a computer in 1985 or so that had an 8088, but I think we had a 286 by 1989 or so.

If it runs the software you need to run, nothing is obsolete. Games were not a primary concern of IBM PC compatible microcomputer manufacturers or buyers in Europe at the time.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Yeah, the PC was completely irrelevant as a games platform until probably the early-mid 90s.

8088 PCs stuck around for a long time in low-end models that were sold as cheap word processors or home business computers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sweevo posted:

Yeah, the PC was completely irrelevant as a games platform until probably the early-mid 90s.

8088 PCs stuck around for a long time in low-end models that were sold as cheap word processors or home business computers.

I remember the Jenkkilä (~"Yankville") column in Mikrobitti where it was reported that "In the US, there are shops that sell games for IBM PC compatibles and have nothing for the Commodore 64?!?!?".

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My family sold our Amiga 500 and got a PC in 1993. It was a good time to jump ship.

Soundblaster and VGA were standard already and the kind of games I was moving towards (flight sims, adventure, strategy) were better on the PC. Amiga still had an edge in 2D action games for a while, but not long.

And of course Wolf3D and Doom.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

lobsterminator posted:

My family sold our Amiga 500 and got a PC in 1993. It was a good time to jump ship.

Soundblaster and VGA were standard already and the kind of games I was moving towards (flight sims, adventure, strategy) were better on the PC. Amiga still had an edge in 2D action games for a while, but not long.

And of course Wolf3D and Doom.

That's around the same time my my family got a 486 as an upgrade to our Atari ST 1040. The ST had some great games (I had boxed copies of Defender of the Crown, a port of the 70s arcade Star Wars game and one called Psycho Pig, and then an entire floppy disk case of pirated stuff) but going from that what was on the PC at the time with games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Doom and X-Wing was kinda revelatory. My dad kept using the ST for music well into the 2000s though, eventually replaced the ST with a STacy. Those machines had amazing MIDI support and applications, Notator was a really cool program. Wish I had pictures of that machine, he bought it off a software developer so it was a hyper rare 4MB Ram + 40MB HDD model with a serial number of like 0000012. When he went to donate it to a computer museum the owner insisted on paying something like $1000 CDN for it.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
Actually, I wish we still had that 486 hanging around in an attic, it had a Gravis Ultrasound MAX in it and those things sell for like $350 on eBay these days.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

lobsterminator posted:

That's a neat design. I'll always associate Schneider with Amstrad and seeing something with the specs of one of their early PCW computers with a CPC style form factor seems very appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hellequin posted:

That's around the same time my my family got a 486 as an upgrade to our Atari ST 1040. The ST had some great games (I had boxed copies of Defender of the Crown, a port of the 70s arcade Star Wars game and one called Psycho Pig, and then an entire floppy disk case of pirated stuff) but going from that what was on the PC at the time with games like Jazz Jackrabbit, Doom and X-Wing was kinda revelatory. My dad kept using the ST for music well into the 2000s though, eventually replaced the ST with a STacy. Those machines had amazing MIDI support and applications, Notator was a really cool program. Wish I had pictures of that machine, he bought it off a software developer so it was a hyper rare 4MB Ram + 40MB HDD model with a serial number of like 0000012. When he went to donate it to a computer museum the owner insisted on paying something like $1000 CDN for it.

Notator became Logic, which I have used for 20+ years now. I've never used Atari or Notator, but based on screenshots and videos, there are still some UI elements that are recognizeable from the Atari original, although they have gotten less similar with every update, especially during Apple's reign.

Logic was the reason I got an Apple in the 2000's because Apple bought Logic and dropped PC support and I just loved the software that much.