Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A posted:

It's not the hill I particularly care about one way or the other, but suspiciously a bunch of complete loving nuts seem to have seized on it as a cause. I suspect I'm probably on the right side of this, since I'm on the side that's firmly against cults, child abuse, and the OKC bombing.

PT6A posted:

They spent near enough two months trying to bring things to a peaceful end. Who would've guessed that the child abusing mental patient cared nothing about the lives of those around him? How is that the ATF's fault?

Sure is the hill you've picked to die on.

infernal machines posted:

My mother joined a cult after I was born, but while I was still a child, not sure where I fall here.

i'm sorry but we have to terminate you for that

Argas fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

PT6A posted:

It's not the hill I particularly care about one way or the other, but suspiciously a bunch of complete loving nuts seem to have seized on it as a cause.
Because it was easy material for Republicans to criticize the Clinton Administration over, and also took place amid a rise in the "militia movement" and New World Order conspiracies.

It doesn't logically follow that because reactionaries took advantage of the government's activities at Waco, the government's activities were therefore justified. It'd be similar to claiming that because numerous anti-Semites and racists like David Duke and Pat Buchanan opposed the Iraq War, this means the war was actually good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A stopped clock is right twice a day, but if you have reason to suspect a clock is stopped, it's a very reasonable assumption to assume it's simply wrong at any given time.

Just as the ends don't justify the means, the ends do not necessarily condemn the means when things go badly. Yes, of course it's bad that anyone died, and I think there's room to consider if those deaths could have been avoided; that being said, the responsibility for the deaths lies solely with the lunatic cultists even if the government could have done a better job in retrospect.

This was a heavily armed compound full of apocalyptic weirdos. I think it's much easier to say in retrospect that things could've been handled better, then to say at the time, not knowing what those whackos might do, "yeah, let them be, she'll be right."

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Why can't more cults be like Heaven's Gate, they have a snazzy website, got people into astronomy, and no kids died. A+ as far as cults go.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Trapick posted:

Why can't more cults be like Heaven's Gate, they have a snazzy website, got people into astronomy, and no kids died. A+ as far as cults go.

As far as cults go, yes. Ultimately I'd prefer people get treated for severe mental illness rather than cutting their bollocks off and offing themselves to catch a ride on a comet, but, it's better than Jim Jones or David Koresh by quite a bit.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The important thing is they all didn't have to pay taxes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The Waco miniseries that you can't find on Netflix anymore was pretty good. Taylor Kitsch plays a drat creepy Koresh, and the rest of the cast is stacked; Everyone's Stepdad Michael Shannon also steals the show.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My work lets me work from home but they've moved to a "minimum one day at the office" and want to ramp up to two days minimum come September. I'm side eye'ing management as I strongly suspect they'd like to make being at the office mandatory for everyday if they felt they could get away with it. But yeah its been pretty fortunate for me that generally I have the option to stay home most of the time.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Aces High posted:

I suppose it is good that no children were "harmed" by government forces during the Ottawa occupation, despite them effectively also being used as human shields.

On that topic of media literacy, I remember when the George Floyd murder was only a few weeks old one of my friends made a comment about how inappropriate some BLM people were being. The specific example he used was (his description) videos of a big black man going up to white girls and aggressively telling them to get on their knees and apologize for being white. Now I laughed at that because it sounded outrageous but he seemed quite shocked that I didn't believe it to be true. I asked him where he saw these videos because a Google search wasn't turning up anything and his response was "well of course there aren't any hits, they don't want people to see that, it hurts the narrative" but I couldn't even find anything on snopes or other fact-checking sites.

Anyone here hear anything about that? Or did my friend get sucked down a rabbit hole that I was able to avoid?

You can imagine it's real and that's pretty much the same thing

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Trapick posted:

Don't forget also they all got matching Nike sneakers.

Product placement!

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Have y'all met PT6A?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im almost afraid to ask but has Canada ever had any of those super creepy/dangerous cults?

Its weird that I dont know the answer to that.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Furnaceface posted:

Im almost afraid to ask but has Canada ever had any of those super creepy/dangerous cults?

Some Doukhobor sects have been a bit odd, and there used to be a lot of arsons in the south east of BC from it.

Don’t know about anything actually scary though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One time some guy had a standoff about Waco in the CanPol thread, but the cops never showed up so it just kind of fizzled out.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I don't know if they're dangerous but the Raelians have a strong foothold in Quebec iirc

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Furnaceface posted:

Does FLDS in Bountiful count?

Not really a Made in Canada thing.

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

This one partially happened in Quebec

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
BC has some old school Mormon areas, and by old school I mean polygamists. They used to at least. Haven't heard about Bountiful, BC in a long time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Alctel posted:

Yeah it's basically all run by the same loving people

On a related note - you'll never guess what those two heavily armed bank robbers were into!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-brothers-in-botched-bc-bank-robbery-had-become-angry-and-radical/

I wondered if it might be something like that when it came out that they were 22 and had no criminal record. The bank robbery was bizarre, like a movie, probably because movies were all they had. Thinking they must have had some masterplan to do it that way. Nope, they just didn't know what the gently caress they were doing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Madkal posted:

BC has some old school Mormon areas, and by old school I mean polygamists. They used to at least. Haven't heard about Bountiful, BC in a long time.

They’re still around as far as I’m aware. After the polygamy charges against a couple of the leaders in the mid-2010’s, which the government could barely sentence house arrest for after they were convicted, there were a couple more arrests after two of the family tried to transport an underage girl into the US to be married. They each got a couple of years for that. And that was pretty much it because basically no one from Bountiful wanted to testify against it. Best I can hope for is they’re keeping on eye on any children moving in and out of there.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Furnaceface posted:

How about Brother XII in BC?

This wiki page has some info on him but this Reddit post has more.

Reddit posted:

In the late-1920s, The Aquarian Foundation developed a colony just south of Nanaimo. Their leader, a frail-looking, scraggly bearded Englishman, is the reincarnation of Brother XII of the Great White Brotherhood. For nearly a decade, Brother XII grew the small colony to a fortress to protect his followers from the uncertainty of the post-war world. The cult’s influence wasn’t limited to Nanaimo, globally thousands of followers contributed to the Aquarian Foundation adhering to the three truths: Work, Order, and Obedience to Brother XII.

Below we’ll take a dive into who Brother XII was from his beginnings, religious beliefs, and rumored death, leaving a legacy of exploitation, and rumored buried treasure near Nanaimo.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Well, there's the big one that abducted a bunch of kids to brainwash them into believing in a magical jew. We're still finding the graves from that.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Important news everyone:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...to-the-internet

Please make sure not to post about how JTF2 uses the SIG SAUER P320 pistol. Because the fact they use the P320 made by SIG SAUER is now a state secret. You know, ever since one of them accidentally shot themselves with it. And their leadership decided to make it a secret, not withstanding the publicly available documents about the procurement of SIG SAUER pistols and specifically the P320.

Also apparently members of JTF2 were part of the freedom convoy and have been identified as part of the virulently anti-Trudeau crowd. But since membership in JTF2 is secret, you'll never know which of that crowd is actually highly trained and provided access to advance weapons by the Canadian military.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

The Ant Hill Kids were real hosed up.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Arivia posted:

The Ant Hill Kids were real hosed up.
My partner's godmother actually met Theriault and treated one of the women in the cult when she worked as a nurse. Even though she didn't know who they were at the time, the encounter stood out to her because of Theriault's eyes. She remembers that there was something in his eyes that was simultaneously alluring, yet deeply disturbing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Furnaceface posted:

I mean, we have the Catholic Church. It’s pretty entrenched

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The federal NDP candidate for Davenport wrote an op-ed on populism in Spacing, I'm not entirely clear why.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, we have the Catholic Church. It’s pretty entrenched

oh you think that's nuts wait till you hear about the spinoffs, those get really wild

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

There was this one too in Québec https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roch_Th%C3%A9riault

quote:

Over time, Thériault's punishments became increasingly extreme and violent, including making members break their own legs with sledgehammers, sit on lit stoves, shoot each other in the shoulders, and eat dead mice and feces. A follower would sometimes be asked to cut off another follower's toes with wire cutters to prove loyalty. The abuse extended to the cult's children, who were sexually abused, held over fires, or nailed to trees while other children threw stones at them. One of Thériault's wives left a newborn child, Eleazar Lavallée, outside to die in freezing temperatures to keep him away from the abuse. Thériault attempted to backtrack to the original religious mission of the commune, beginning to strongly believe in purifying his followers and ridding them of their sins through abusive purification sessions where the members would be completely nude as he whipped and beat them. Thériault claimed to be a holy being, and started performing unnecessary amateur surgical operations on sick members to demonstrate his healing powers. These "surgeries" included injecting a 94% ethanol solution into stomachs, or performing circumcisions on the children and adults of the group. In 1987, social workers removed 17 of the children from the commune. However, Thériault faced no repercussions for his abusive acts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fundamentally, the issue is that religion or anything that can be claimed as religion, is a privileged form of lunacy. If you claim you hear voices, call them God, because then you're a prophet, not a crazy person. Doesn't matter what those voices tell you to do, either, really -- the behavioral standards of "prophethood" are exceptionally loose. But just tell everyone "God told you" and a bunch of idiots who presumably mean well will advocate that you be left alone to do any number of unspeakable things.

From the cults already under discussion in the US, to the Pawlowskis in Calgary, to the weirdos in Ontario ranting about masks and churches, to the literal child molesters in Bountiful, you really have to screw up to get any kind of attention from the authorities once "God tells you" to do something. Because heaven forfend we call religion/cults what they are: magical thinking and mental illness.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

Fundamentally, the issue is that religion or anything that can be claimed as religion, is a privileged form of lunacy. If you claim you hear voices, call them God, because then you're a prophet, not a crazy person. Doesn't matter what those voices tell you to do, either, really -- the behavioral standards of "prophethood" are exceptionally loose. But just tell everyone "God told you" and a bunch of idiots who presumably mean well will advocate that you be left alone to do any number of unspeakable things.

From the cults already under discussion in the US, to the Pawlowskis in Calgary, to the weirdos in Ontario ranting about masks and churches, to the literal child molesters in Bountiful, you really have to screw up to get any kind of attention from the authorities once "God tells you" to do something. Because heaven forfend we call religion/cults what they are: magical thinking and mental illness.

I agreed with you for 9/10ths of this post and wow you blew it at the end. As someone with major mental illness issues there’s a huge gulf between depression and going to church.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Indeed, it would be more accurate to say it's magical thinking and/or mental illness. But the point being: if you hear "prophecy" and act on it, that's illness. If you did not ascribe it to a higher power, people would say "oh, you hear voices. Please seek treatment, that can be distressing and dangerous."

Prophecy is simply a particularly popular and socially privileged version of hallucination.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I prophesize PT6A is probably going to eat a probe before this derail is over. Who wants to join my cult?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

Indeed, it would be more accurate to say it's magical thinking and/or mental illness. But the point being: if you hear "prophecy" and act on it, that's illness. If you did not ascribe it to a higher power, people would say "oh, you hear voices. Please seek treatment, that can be distressing and dangerous."

Prophecy is simply a particularly popular and socially privileged version of hallucination.

Say you can stare into a hat with a rock in it and transcribe unseen texts into English to tell a story about seafaring Jews whose deaths predated the invention of the compass traveled to the midwest and you too can be.... uh... ok bad example

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

flakeloaf posted:

Say you can stare into a hat with a rock in it and transcribe unseen texts into English to tell a story about seafaring Jews whose deaths predated the invention of the compass traveled to the midwest and you too can be.... uh... ok bad example

One of the points the author makes in Under the Banner of Heaven is that Mormonism probably didn't have an exceptionally weird start. It just happened recently enough and with sufficiently widespread technology that a lot more documents and varied testimony exists today.

May be obvious, but I hadn't really considered it before.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why can't I find a used bookstore that actually accepts donations of used books?

flakeloaf posted:

Tbf I don't think you'd need a compass to navigate to the Americas, its believed a variety of civilizations managed to do so by navigating by the stars iirc.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

Most of rural Manitoba is arguably a cult.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Maneck posted:

Also apparently members of JTF2 were part of the freedom convoy and have been identified as part of the virulently anti-Trudeau crowd. But since membership in JTF2 is secret, you'll never know which of that crowd is actually highly trained and provided access to advance weapons by the Canadian military.

I hear insubordination is a great quality for employment in our special forces.

Edit: oh, I forgot that original article mentioned they were in the process of being released

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 5, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"Light treason"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pokeyman posted:

One of the points the author makes in Under the Banner of Heaven is that Mormonism probably didn't have an exceptionally weird start. It just happened recently enough and with sufficiently widespread technology that a lot more documents and varied testimony exists today.

May be obvious, but I hadn't really considered it before.

For all my :smuggo: on the subject, neither had I.

I've decided that this means, some 300 years from now, a new movement will spring up based on stories of the miracles performed by Bill Brasky