Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hel posted:

Ok, seriously what is Movie Bobs claim to fame? What did he do that people cared enough to make fun of his Mario 3 book? Because all I've seen of him is him just being a dumbass, but no one would care if he wasn't already internet famous.

He just made videos and people watched them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hel posted:

Ok, seriously what is Movie Bobs claim to fame? What did he do that people cared enough to make fun of his Mario 3 book? Because all I've seen of him is him just being a dumbass, but no one would care if he wasn't already internet famous.

He was on The Escapist

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Wizard (1989) is Space Jam (1996) for Geriatric Millennials.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hel posted:

I think he was one of the early video essayists who mainly focused on the essay instead of loading it up with skits and injokes.... until he retooled his Game Overthinker show into him being the game god and dressing up in ninja pajamas.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Violet_Sky posted:

I'm younger than MovieBob but him saying that "Mario 3 in The Wizard was his generation's JFK" will never not be funny to me
The man has a true gift for being hilariously stupid.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm lately getting into https://www.youtube.com/c/KIRKCOLLECTS/videos as a FPS fan. of course i know about civvie but i don't mind collecting other opinions as well, and kirk seems like a pretty chill dude (his harry potter pc video mentions his distaste for JKR's TERFing) that likes playing old and neo-retro shooters, and posts around 3 videos a month.

he got me interested in this lo-poly shooter that's in the itchio queer games bundle that draws direct inspiration from half-life 2 including having gravity powers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2Ozqqw3_8

he's also looked at, in the past 6 months: project warlock 2, cultic, metal hellsinger, alien trilogy (ps1), turbo overkill, forgive me father, splinter cell chaos theory, powerslave exhumed, blood west, kingdom of the dead, hedon bloodrite, mortal sin, halo infinite, and did two separate videos on Next Fest fps demos that he enjoyed

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hel posted:

He also did a review on Pixels that got him some actual attention from left-leaning pop culture sites and the like.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Hel posted:

Movie Bob was one of the first video movie critics that wasn't a Nostalgia Critic-like gimmick "comedy" series. He had the type of insight that you didn't see when he started out and was on the Escapist when Yahtzee Croshaw was at his height, so he also got that visibility.

As for why people hate him, he's posted a lot of hateful and unhinged political takes. It's all too wild to even sum up and he has nothing in terms of a coherent ideology, but he's generally just been an insufferable rear end in a top hat in that regard.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I cannot think of anything more damning of an industry than saying MovieBob was one of the more insightful ones

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I wouldn't go so far as to call all Cinema Discusso Poster Eugenicists.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Man, in hindsight it is absolutely amazing The Escapist gained any clout or push within the industry at all. Pretty much the only thing they had going for them starting off was Zero Punctuation and the only personality formerly associated with them that's still relevant is JS Sterling (And they haven't been associated with the site for over a decade!).

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Since we're talking about Zack Snyder again anyway, i recebtly learned that Ken Levine did a podcast interview with him where they talk about Ayn Rand

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alaois posted:

Since we're talking about Zack Snyder again anyway, i recebtly learned that Ken Levine did a podcast interview with him where they talk about Ayn Rand
That's a triple-combo of terrible if I ever saw one.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Alaois posted:

:ohno:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://irrationalgames.ghoststorygames.com/insider/irrational-interviews-episode-5-zack-snyder/

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Alaois posted:

I remember that, they call it a goofy book with naive philosophy, but it's "a good yarn". They also talk about how her heroes aren't allowed to fail but that Bioshock is about randian heroes that can and do fail. That's just a small part of an interview is mostly about adapting comics or games to films,

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

KingKalamari posted:

Man, in hindsight it is absolutely amazing The Escapist gained any clout or push within the industry at all. Pretty much the only thing they had going for them starting off was Zero Punctuation and the only personality formerly associated with them that's still relevant is JS Sterling (And they haven't been associated with the site for over a decade!).

Is Yahtzee still around?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

Is Yahtzee still around?

He's still pumping out videos every week, and is doing videos with Jack from RLM who went over to the Escapist.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Finally someone shares concrete evidence that Zack isn’t just blindly into Rand’s philosophy. Welcome to the resistance Alaois.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

Is Yahtzee still around?

say what you will about yahtzee, but when the escapist turned out to be cesspit of gamergaters wilfully spreading lies about innocent women, he stuck around and made sure that he was their only real draw, so gently caress him and anyone who decides to collaborate with him

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Geeks and Gamers are a group that are into the whole pop-culture-war bullshit and he said that he didn't want to associate with them and that they were spreading hate.

As much as I like to mock Snyder for his films and the dumb poo poo he says about them he comes across as a decent person.

I still love that we have for all time the faces of Geeks and Gamers as they're all thrown under the bus. Some real "If you look closely you can actually pinpoint the exact moment his heart breaks in two" stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I still love that we have for all time the faces of Geeks and Gamers as they're all thrown under the bus. Some real "If you look closely you can actually pinpoint the exact moment his heart breaks in two" stuff.

It's said that the reason why Jeremy Griggs doesn't have eyebrows is because Zack Snyder roasted him so hard it burnt them right off his dead shark eyed face.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Pennsylvanian posted:

Movie Bob was one of the first video movie critics that wasn't a Nostalgia Critic-like gimmick "comedy" series. He had the type of insight that you didn't see when he started out and was on the Escapist when Yahtzee Croshaw was at his height, so he also got that visibility.

As for why people hate him, he's posted a lot of hateful and unhinged political takes. It's all too wild to even sum up and he has nothing in terms of a coherent ideology, but he's generally just been an insufferable rear end in a top hat in that regard.

Annointed posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to call all Cinema Discusso Poster Eugenicists.

You know, for a thread that routinely argues about whether certain people or pieces of media are fascist or objectivist based off perceived themes or certain elements, people seem loathe to the label the guy who has a long history of spouting fascist and objectivist rhetoric as such.

Like, Bob takes are basically, 'we would be living in utopia if we purged the undesirables, and put the smart people such as myself in charge." It's hard to get much more flagrant than that.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Man, I'm curious to know what MovieBob thinks he did to EARN a future where he gets to upload his brain into a robot...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Man, I'm curious to know what MovieBob thinks he did to EARN a future where he gets to upload his brain into a robot...

enjoy super mario and not call of duty, duh

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

enjoy super mario and not call of duty, duh

Well so did I, but you don't hear me whining about how we need to purge the undesirables so I can get my robot body

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

You know, for a thread that routinely argues about whether certain people or pieces of media are fascist or objectivist based off perceived themes or certain elements, people seem loathe to the label the guy who has a long history of spouting fascist and objectivist rhetoric as such.

Like, Bob takes are basically, 'we would be living in utopia if we purged the undesirables, and put the smart people such as myself in charge." It's hard to get much more flagrant than that.

I thought me saying I wouldn't call all of Cinema Discusso Eugenicists would indicate I know that MovieBob is a Eugenecist

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I understand why the thread loves video "essays" so much, cause you guys got the reading comprehension of a toddler.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think we should shut down this thread, go to the book barn and pick up some books because there's a serious lack of reading comprehension here

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Annointed posted:

I thought me saying I wouldn't call all of Cinema Discusso Eugenicists would indicate I know that MovieBob is a Eugenecist
I can't believe you're denying MovieBob is a Eugenicist.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

But I did read Infinite Jest and Ulysses and House of Leaves. They were not to my taste.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

I understand why the thread loves video "essays" so much, cause you guys got the reading comprehension of a toddler.
the halcyon days of people itt not understanding what a tiktok duet is

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Annointed posted:

lol i did get confused why the guy posted a bunch of screenshots to prove that moviebob was indeed a eugenecist, when nobody at all disagreed on that point

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
we call him eugenics bob constantly

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i've never entirely understood how max wilco interfaces with this thread, all of their posts feel like they dropped out of an alternate universe

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
fucks sake, I give up. just threadban me already.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

dude you could just say you were mistaken and lol about it. what's with all these dramatics are you a slowmo sequence in 300

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Bob falls in that vague gray area where he's repeatedly and consistently asserted we should neuter (physically) and disenfranchise the (white) blue collar and poor of the US because they're keeping the intelligent people like him from a spacefuture utopia, but like people already said it's hard to label him a "fascist" when his ideology isn't coherent beyond that. It's all just centered around being a manchild who thinks he's on the left while not actually being able to articulate or embody any leftist ideals beyond "don't hate gays," "don't treat women like cattle," and "republicans are evil." You can't even say he's a red-brown because I don't think he likes Communism enough to pose as a fashy commie.

Is "12-year-old-brained, left-posing, libertarian class-genecist" an ideology?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah it's solipsism. While I would never advocate a "both sides" position - right-wing politics are grotesquely evil without exception - Bob's politics are founded on treating everything he dislikes as interconnected. Jocks are the same as the people who like Metroid Prime are the same as the Proud Boys are the same as everyone who lives in the American South. In his worldview, all evil is holistically connected and interchangable, and of the same intensity as each other, and is also interchangable with media tastes he doesn't share.

There are only three kinds of people in Bob's world - Bob, people who are close enough to Bob to be simplified into "basically Bob", and the ravenous evil horde.

This also ties into his bizarre and uncomfortable interactions with other content creators. When people he admires or envies soft-block him or tell him to buzz off, it suggests a fourth category of people - respectable not-Bobs - which is inconceivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cinema Robbie honestly doesn't deserves long winded posts one way or the other wrt his character. He sucks and should be ignored. That's it, the end. No moral. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

I'd honestly rather talk about Snyder.