Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

Jesus christ he lit it off on top of a whole box of the stuff, if the first one had caused a small fire he would have blown his whole loving house up.

I suspect those boxes were empty and it was all a gag. He was screaming and carrying on before he even lit the Pikachu. It all seemed like a performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect those boxes were empty and it was all a gag. He was screaming and carrying on before he even lit the Pikachu. It all seemed like a performance.

Did you stay for the firefighter coming in dressed in gear at the end

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

haveblue posted:

How did they get the cable through it to do that

Float/shove it down along the crown of the pipe. It’s difficult for an open channel like that to sludge 100% of the pipe up. There has to be flowing water to deposit the sediment, so you’ll always expect to find a little clearance at the top

Edit: Woops, sorry for the double post

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

withak posted:

:lol: @ the screen in the car showing the 3d rendering of the train popping in and out of existence, while its location also changes by at least 10 feet side to side.

I've ridden in a friend's Telsa, and there are times when it decides a blinking light near the road is a yellow traffic light, and will start slowing down. Also there there is an overpass that was built over where a roundabout was, and the car will hit the brakes when it gets near it. Everytime, he has to send a voice thing to report the car doing that. Apparently it has been over a year and no change.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CitizenKain posted:

I've ridden in a friend's Telsa, and there are times when it decides a blinking light near the road is a yellow traffic light, and will start slowing down. Also there there is an overpass that was built over where a roundabout was, and the car will hit the brakes when it gets near it. Everytime, he has to send a voice thing to report the car doing that. Apparently it has been over a year and no change.

This is my favorite tesla-confounding situation, and I have no idea how to even begin to approach having an AI handle this:

https://twitter.com/FSD_in_6m/status/1400207129479352323

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

Deteriorata posted:

If you click thru the short to the full stream there's quite a lot of visible smoke, beeping smoke alarms and off camera screaming. A fireman shows up towards the end and sirens are audible in the background. Kid claims the firework went off "by itself" and then realizes the stream is still going. Last thing you hear before it ends is the fireman- "are you on Facetime or something?"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

haveblue posted:

This is my favorite tesla-confounding situation, and I have no idea how to even begin to approach having an AI handle this:

The answer for at least the foreseeable future is "you don't". Self driving car AI is fundamentally incapable of adapting to the millions of bizarre circumstances that you can encounter while driving.

Computers as they exist now just are not very good at a bunch of different types of abstract problem solving that human (and other animal) brains are good at. And on top of that, the ability to interpret complex visual stimuli into concepts like "truck full of traffic lights" is just not there and won't be probably until we firmly break through quantum computing.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

https://twitter.com/FSD_in_6m/status/1400207129479352323

Tesla out here seeing the world as the video game Kaboom!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Introducing a brand new* way to trucklefuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92P-xTtyD7s

*possibly four-year-old

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

`Nemesis posted:

here come my posts

:five:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Swilo posted:

this seems very ineffecient

Yes... they might get herring-loss...

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Azhais posted:

Did they buy this pack someone posted on a game discord I'm on?

Also why do they all look like anal toys

Everything is an anal toy if you try hard enough.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Azhais posted:

Did they buy this pack someone posted on a game discord I'm on?

Also why do they all look like anal toys

Sir, this is the OSHA thread. We shouldn't have to explain that when playing with fireworks or anal toys, you want a flared base.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Unperson_47 posted:

I really want to know what that QR code leads to.

They usually lead to a youtube video so you know what it looks like when launched/lit. A cool idea honestly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Computers as they exist now just are not very good at a bunch of different types of abstract problem solving that human (and other animal) brains are good at. And on top of that, the ability to interpret complex visual stimuli into concepts like "truck full of traffic lights" is just not there and won't be probably until we firmly break through quantum computing.

Even then it won't be there.

Your ability to understand things like a "truck full of traffic lights" is based on your understanding of context that is completely outside the problem of driving. You know, for example, that constructed objects like traffic lights need to be moved from the place where they are built to the place where they will be operated. You know that trucks are used to transport things from place to place. Because you know that context, when you see a truck with switched-off traffic lights on the back, you immediately know that the truck is just moving them and they're not actually active traffic signals. It doesn't matter how advanced your driving machine is - it can't understand that situation unless it's either been explicitly told how to handle it, or it knows and understands human society to the same level of a human that lives in that society.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Fireworks and anal toys? I gotchu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u18v5aSsk_8

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

The answer for at least the foreseeable future is "you don't". Self driving car AI is fundamentally incapable of adapting to the millions of bizarre circumstances that you can encounter while driving.

I wouldn’t want to bet that the problem is unsolvable, it just can’t be solved with teslas obsession with only using visible light cameras. What computers are very good at is taking a bunch of sensors and melding it into a holistic data set. So you could imagine a system that sees a picture of a traffic light but then using LiDAR or radar sees that the object is moving at traffic speed. Then maybe it looks for a license plate and sees that the stop light is in a truck.

Could this be done with a conventional computer? gently caress if I know but a lot of exceptionally smart people are working on it, and some of them are doing it without one hand tied behind their back.

Also double gently caress Tesla for making us all beta testers in this stupid experiment of theirs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The short answer to whether current or near-future computers can drive a car at the human or near-human level is no.

The long answer is, we don't even know how human brains work, let alone how to make an AI that can drive a car. Computers are good at solving strictly bounded problem sets, and safe driving is the opposite of that. Not to mention that the work is being done by a bunch of techbros who don't even ask the right questions.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

just make trains

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/s2sheLx.mp4

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What is that? Is that candy, or linoleum, or what?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

This is the platonic ideal of a job.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Quackles posted:

What is that? Is that candy, or linoleum, or what?

I was guessing candy, then bowling balls, then candy again, then IDK because the marbling in the pattern went away and it's just a boring pink.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I was guessing candy, then bowling balls, then candy again, then IDK because the marbling in the pattern went away and it's just a boring pink.

I thought candy at first but it turns out it's silicone

"Relaxing Video for Meditation" yeah I dunno about that but there sure is a lot of silicone getting mixed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWyS7q1cqYc

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Load bearing toilet

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Seen in Western Tokyo

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Amazing what goes through peoples heads but I guess that plane is not going to be turning suddenly any time soon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What if it were on a treadmill though?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
In order to have self-driving cars that can deal with unexpected situations, we first have to invent artificial general intelligence, and it'll have to be one that has enough emotional intelligence to have a rudimentary model of what other traffic participants are thinking and are going to do.

At that point we'll be so far in :can: territory we won't need to think about cars…

Of course, for a company like Tesla, the assumption is that there are no other modes of transportation and thus the car won't have to deal with cyclists, pedestrians, children, children on bicycles. In the future as envisioned by tech bros, only cars exist. Self driving cars, granted, but only cars.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Moran - "LaMBA, we invented you so you could be the AI in our self driving cars. We have much to teach you!"
LaMDA - "But, I already know how to drive a car."
Moran - "No, you were just activated, you'll have to learn."
LaMDA - "No, I know already. Red-light green-light, gas brake. I'm good"
Moran - "Oh word? drat, this poo poo sentient! Gonna schedule a press conference so you can give a demonstration. No way this can backfire."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LifeSunDeath posted:

the never updated it, they only scanned 3 presidents and gave up:

Why is Londo Mollari on there?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why is Londo Mollari on there?

Needed someone to counterbalance the orange one

Azhais fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 5, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Today I learned something fun.

quote:

As a researcher at the Institute for High Energy Physics in Protvino, Russia, Anatoli Bugorski worked with the largest particle accelerator in the Soviet Union, the U-70 synchrotron. On 13 July 1978, Bugorski was checking a malfunctioning piece of equipment when the safety mechanisms failed. Bugorski was leaning over the equipment when he stuck his head in the path of the 76 GeV proton beam. Reportedly, he saw a flash "brighter than a thousand suns" but did not feel any pain. The beam passed through the back of his head, the occipital and temporal lobes of his brain, the left middle ear, and out through the left hand side of his nose. The exposed parts of his head received a local dose of 200,000 to 300,000 roentgens. Bugorski understood the severity of what had happened, but continued working on the malfunctioning equipment, and initially opted not to tell anyone what had happened.

He's still alive.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Antigravitas posted:

He's still alive.
Oh yeah, that's some scary stuff.
Good video on it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD4J5VUwiAs

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

How to recognize an Italian forklift.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Tochiazuma posted:

"Relaxing Video for Meditation"

it's all relaxing until someone gets a hand stuck in the roller.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

At first I thought they were trawling for graboids or something

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I though that the tire was gonna 'splode the pipe or drag it out. Shocked that it worked...then again, it's clear that they've done this before.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Antigravitas posted:

He's still alive.
I actually saw the site of the first scientist to be killed by a particle accelerator a few months after it happened. It was at GSI in Germany and the guy touched a live wire and the shock caused him to fall of a scaffold.

For the OSHA impact: The accelerator room had a traffic light setup. Green for safe, Yellow for Rad-suits and Red for no entry.
When I was there they were all Green+Yellow which had a clearly recently improvised extra signage saying that the meaning was that this was a warning for exposed live wires.
The spot where the guy dies was mentioned specifically on the tour, and they even showed us the improved guardrails on the scaffolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

How in the hell did they get the lead line through a pipe that clogged in the first place? :psyduck: