Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Generations has the distinction of redeeming (or vindicating?) a Sonic 2006 stage.

Peanut butter is overlooked but it's a modern miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fedule posted:

I also distinctly remember being surprised to find that I liked the 3D stuff more than I liked the 2D stuff, even though I extremely did not hate the 2D stuff.

:same:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I always heard and said it as one word: Icecap Zone.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i love sonic

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i hate sonic

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is the revisionist history I'm talking about.

No it wasn't, the opinion at the time was that the physics were slightly off but people were happy with it being close enough. The reactions were overwhelmingly positive. Arguable now if it was too positive as a reaction to Sonic 4 or not, not but people loved the game. That was the general vibe here. And I was working at GameStop at the time of the release and everyone who bought Generations were all pretty happy with the game.

there were definitely plenty of people saying at the time that the classic levels were the weak link of the game. I know because I was one of them. they weren’t terrible but they were definitely a letdown

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 5, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

same

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

same

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'd heard a lot of people at the time saying they'd have liked Generations more without the 3D segments, but I wouldn't present that as the majority opinion.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i dont hate sonic

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I always heard and said it as one word: Icecap Zone.

Consider:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's pronounced skypatrol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tails got Skypatrolled

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gens classic segments are fine, but with the boost style leaning so heavily on 2D sections to begin with, you really feel how little of the game is 3D. whenever I went back to gens it was always to load up a few modern stages

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

Everyone listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrRMV_ifp2g

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I agree with the suggestion that Speed Highway is the perfect 3D sonic level. It's both the best of SA1 and a highlight of generations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
now that i've finished origins i wanna play some sonic rom hacks and fan games and adjacent material. here's what i've got so far:

-sonic dreams collection
-big's big world
-spark the electric jester trilogy
-sonic robo blast 2 + kart
-freedom planet
-metal sonic rebooted
-s factor
-sonic 2 advanced edit
-mobius evolution
-sonic triple trouble 16 bit
-sonic 3d in 2d
-sonic 1 sms remake
-sonic 2 sms remake

is there anything you all would recommend?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sonic 2 Retro Remix is one of my favorites. It basically turns Sonic 2 into a collectathon game, with Sonic Advance 3 style world maps and hidden areas. Each act has 5 different emeralds to collect with little hints given when you enter the zone, kind of like Mario 64.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Balan Wonderworld

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Sonic 2 Retro Remix is one of my favorites. It basically turns Sonic 2 into a collectathon game, with Sonic Advance 3 style world maps and hidden areas. Each act has 5 different emeralds to collect with little hints given when you enter the zone, kind of like Mario 64.

that sounds rad, i'll check it out!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Time Twisted was okay

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

An Advance trilogy remake would be cool, with widescreen and a bumped up resolution. Maybe take out some of the bullshit to obtain Chaos Emeralds in that series alongside letting you actually go Super beside the True Final Zone.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Looper posted:

now that i've finished origins i wanna play some sonic rom hacks and fan games and adjacent material. here's what i've got so far:

-sonic dreams collection
-big's big world
-freedom planet
-metal sonic rebooted
-s factor
-sonic 2 advanced edit
-mobius evolution
-sonic 3d in 2d
-sonic 1 sms remake
-sonic 2 sms remake

sonic gt is still one of the best I've played
before and after the sequel are ok

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 5, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I'm going to hunt you down

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Oxyclean posted:

Consider:

Tailsky Patrol

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Discendo Vox posted:

Tailsky Patrol

It's clearly TskAypaItroSl'

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

anyone else love it when Knuckles punches? Sound off below

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Hell yeah

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Looper posted:

-sonic dreams collection
-big's big world
-freedom planet
-metal sonic rebooted
-s factor
-sonic 2 advanced edit
-mobius evolution
-sonic 3d in 2d
-sonic 1 sms remake
-sonic 2 sms remake

Sonic GT mentioned a few posts above is absolutely incredible, the best translation of the classic games' momentum physics to 3d I have played. Short, too.

Sonic World is possibly the best Adventure style Sonic game, and it has an absolute ton of stages and playable characters, but it has a massive, years in the making update coming in the next couple months so you might want to hold off on it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Looper posted:

-sonic dreams collection
-big's big world
-freedom planet
-metal sonic rebooted
-s factor
-sonic 2 advanced edit
-mobius evolution
-sonic 3d in 2d
-sonic 1 sms remake
-sonic 2 sms remake

Yeah I'd recommend not playing spark the electric jester cause that game is rear end

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I liked after the sequel but more for the soundtrack than the gameplay because funk fiction rules

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I didn't finish After the Sequel, but Before the Sequel has an amazing super boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGUG40noFSk

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The 2-player Emerald Hill music was always better than the main track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z99fLBRH9j8

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Sonic Before + After the sequel aren't bad games, but they're clearly made by someone who doesn't quite understand what makes 2D sonic enjoyable to play. They both have a lot of style though, and the soundtrack is actually incredible which makes up for some of that imo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I love it when he goes, “Shin rock, heyun”

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

MechaSeinfeld posted:

anyone else love it when Knuckles backs em up with the fist metal crack em? Sound off below

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It’s kinda hosed up that he knocks them down whether they’re solid or frail

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Has Naka always been this petty? Just scribbling all over Naoto Ohshima like that?

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1544235117073166337?s=20&t=7fFy2oOWK-vRn04BNdr79w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

Has Naka always been this petty? Just scribbling all over Naoto Ohshima like that?

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1544235117073166337?s=20&t=7fFy2oOWK-vRn04BNdr79w

For a long time now, yeah (technically he’s not even the actual “father” of Sonic but unlike Keiji Inafune with Megaman he takes credit for it anyway)