Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Once again I've been tricked into thinking something has happened, only this time it's an extended discussion about the comparative amounts of piss, poo poo and vomit that get sprayed around male and female toilet cubicles.

look I think boris johnson has as much right to privacy as the rest of us but we have to get these details right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He shits with the door open, making eye contact the whole time and attempting to start conversation.

Unless you ask him a basic policy question, then he hides in the bowl.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jiggerypokery posted:

One neat trick I learnt way too late is washing your rear end in a top hat is far superior to wiping and worth the extra time commitment

Find someone who loves you like goons love bidets.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

Better than video game chat, I guess.

Well know you just pretty much guaranteed the next few pages will be discussions about

Pistol_Pete posted:

piss, poo poo and vomit

In video games. That's on you!!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pictured: me, about to author a post on the Something Awful forums

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pistol_Pete posted:

an extended discussion about the comparative amounts of piss, poo poo and vomit

pretty apt metaphor for whatever the gently caress the tories are up to at any given time,.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Reveilled posted:

That reminds me of the story about the guy who refused to wipe because touching your butt is gay.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gatekeeping/comments/iaoamq/real_men_dont_wipe_their_ass/

Unrelated to this, I've relistened to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds again for the first time in a few years and was surprised I'd never noticed just how much of a direct satire of fascism the artilleryman's song was. Like, I'd always understood that the point of the song is how unrealistic and detatched from reality the artilleryman has become, but for some reason I'd never quite picked up on how he's laying things out pretty much exactly how a fascist would describe their idealised society. Lots of good lines, but I think the funniest is "Everything we need: banks, prisons and schools."

It's a good album.

It owns, my 7 year old has been obsessed since we picked it up at a boot sale.

Heavily recommend tracking down the live performance with full orchestra and massive disembodied Richard Burton head, it's a fun few hours of watching.

There's also a "War of the Worlds Immersive Experience" in that London somewhere where you wander about through a big building while the different bits happen, keen to try that out some time.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
The potential consequences of unexpected loo seats/lid positions:

for a penis-haver, seat down : a slightly smaller target.

for anyone, lid down : peeing on the lid and having it go everywhere.

for the unpenised, seat up : falling into the bowl.

Ergo, leaving the seat raised is bad, and lids should be abolished altogether.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

The potential consequences of unexpected loo seats/lid positions:

for a penis-haver, seat down : a slightly smaller target.

for anyone, lid down : peeing on the lid and having it go everywhere.

for the unpenised, seat up : falling into the bowl.

Ergo, leaving the seat raised is bad, and lids should be abolished altogether.

You should really flush with the lid down to avoid poo poo spraying everywhere, including on to your toothbrush located 6 inches away, but most will never bother with that.

I'm a bit perplexed by that guy implying that you need to "aim" your poo poo through the seathole

Through the Seathole, with Lloyd Grossman

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
WURUURWUGHHHHGHGH two punce uff the shoppung bug tux to hulp struggling putriotic brutush tuxpayer brutush hawdwukingfumulehs in brutun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Failed Imagineer posted:

You should really flush with the lid down to avoid poo poo spraying everywhere

stop posting and call a plumber right now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

You should really flush with the lid down to avoid poo poo spraying everywhere, including on to your toothbrush located 6 inches away
:yeah: (although I try to keep my toothbrush further away from the shitter than that)

Also the lid makes a good platform to keep your bleach and cloths and stuff on when you're cleaning the bathroom.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Through the Seathole, with
Bishop Grosseteste

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rustybear posted:

stop posting and call a plumber right now
You need a fluid dynamist, not a plumber.

(And you need to put your lid down before you flush.)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Nobody is compelled to keep a toothbrush exposed to poop particles anyway and it's frankly bizarre that it's the norm

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

You need a fluid dynamist, not a plumber.

(And you need to put your lid down before you flush.)

or maybe not....

quote:

It was also found that airborne microdroplets were detected for 16 minutes after flushing the toilet with the lid down, 11 minutes longer than when the toilet was flushed with the lid up. The researchers suggest that this could be due to particles being re-aerosolised from surfaces rather than being created by the turbulence of the toilet flushing. Alternatively, the researchers suggest that airborne particles could stick together, or agglomerate, which would cause them to remain airborne for longer.

https://microbiologysociety.org/news/society-news/does-putting-the-lid-down-when-flushing-the-toilet-really-make-a-difference.html

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

sebzilla posted:

Heavily recommend tracking down the live performance with full orchestra and massive disembodied Richard Burton head, it's a fun few hours of watching.

There's also a "War of the Worlds Immersive Experience" in that London somewhere where you wander about through a big building while the different bits happen, keen to try that out some time.

I saw the live show many years ago and can confirm it's great. I also was obsessed with it as a kid, as was my sister. It's like having a bedtime story read to you by a parent, except your mum and dad somehow have a prog rock orchestra in the room with you.

Does your kid listen to the last track with the NASA voices? I always found that bit too scary as a wee 'un.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Intriguing, but probably very dependent on lid design. Mine kinda covers over the seat and forms a pretty good seal, whereas older loos seem to be a tiny flap smaller than the seat, with loads of escape room on the side.

Brb creating a toilet seat seal out of a load of N95s sewn together

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
This discussion reminds me of the rabbit hole I went down (pun heavily intended) when my wife and I made a joke one time to another couple who are friends of ours about how weird it would be to stand up to wipe your rear end. They had bemused expressions on their face and then asked us if there was any other way to wipe.

I soon discovered that there's something like a 50/50 split between sitting wipers and standing wipers, but almost no one realises anyone does it differently than they do. Truly the hidden divide that is tearing our society apart.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How do you sit and wipe :psyduck:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

With great pleasure, while posting.

It's a perennial topic itt alright. I like dropping it into conversations down the pub aswell when I want to cause some IRL derailment (metaphorically, I'm not interfering with the trains)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Some detailed discussion here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SampleSize/comments/6ncfur/results_do_you_wipe_you_butt_standing_up_or

A slight majority of sitters, more so if female .

Personally, I'm just glad to see redditors wiping at all

E: one guy seems to have a two-hander method where he "lifts his balls" with one hand and wipes with other, now that is some real 3 seashells stuff

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 5, 2022

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
doing one last wipe while standing up reaches parts the others can't touch imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DesperateDan posted:

doing one last wipe while standing up reaches parts the others can't touch imo

Like the ceiling?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

lol we got a stander here folks

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Reveilled posted:

Does your kid listen to the last track with the NASA voices? I always found that bit too scary as a wee 'un.

Yes but it took her two tries to get into it at all, the Martian sounds were too creepy to begin with. But now she can't get enough, and is telling all her friends about it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1544290009636900864

Righty ho

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Some want to stop trans people from being able to use their proper bathrooms. I want to stop the real sickos from using bathrooms: standing wipers.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
from the bbc politics liveblog

quote:

13:19
The PM is told hundreds of things every day - Ellis

Labour's Sarah Jones says that No 10 appears to have said that the PM was told of the upheld complaint but he forgot.

She asks if the minister has ever been in a position where he has not "immediately been able to recall being told of an upheld complaint of sexual harassment by a minister".

Ellis responds by saying that the PM has a "myriad array of urgent pressing responsibilities" and may be told "literally hundreds of things in one day".

lol

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Sitting wipers: the above linked totally scientific poll indicates that we are in the majority, and thus morally superior to the standing wipers.

Let us join together and fight back against the deviant standers, who want to pervert the true and righteous customs of the majority (who sit when wiping).

It is time that we stand together (while not wiping) and fight this menace!!!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MeinPanzer posted:

This discussion reminds me of the rabbit hole I went down (pun heavily intended) when my wife and I made a joke one time to another couple who are friends of ours about how weird it would be to stand up to wipe your rear end. They had bemused expressions on their face and then asked us if there was any other way to wipe.

I soon discovered that there's something like a 50/50 split between sitting wipers and standing wipers, but almost no one realises anyone does it differently than they do. Truly the hidden divide that is tearing our society apart.

Once I got to a friend's just as he had finished his last roll of paper, and just as I needed a poo poo. He knows I "use water" as he put it, so he told me to do that, I asked for an empty bottle or something since he has no bidet, and he was completely confused as to why I would need that.

I asked him how he thought it works, and he said he thought I hang my arse into the sink under the taps.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

sebzilla posted:

I caught a broadcast of this 15~ years ago intending to laugh because it sounded absurd to me and then I somehow ended up buying the DVD. Subsequent live shows are very different and have Liam Neeson as the Narrator. And they incorporated the Martian intro cutscene from his video game adaptation (this might be on the original show too).

Also I don't comprehend sitting.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yum yum time for your daily bowl of Weetabix

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1544252121339596801?t=rwE35O3UA6MnT91aYQsaNA&s=19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Szmitten posted:

I caught a broadcast of this 15~ years ago intending to laugh because it sounded absurd to me and then I somehow ended up buying the DVD. Subsequent live shows are very different and have Liam Neeson as the Narrator. And they incorporated the Martian intro cutscene from his video game adaptation (this might be on the original show too).

I saw the Liam Neeson version ages back when it was playing in Tottenham Court Road and it was delightfully quaint and low budget. The music's as great today as it was decades ago though.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

sebzilla posted:

We did the WotW immersive Experience a couple of years back when it was in late beta. We enjoyed it a lot. One of the guys in our group was a bit too into it, offering help to the actors and talking 'old style'. Hopefully they patched that guy out, it was supremely awkward. I said something funny and made an actor crack, so hopefully they patched me out too.

There will possibly be issues if anyone is not able-bodied. I'm pretty sure I recall having to climb through a window at one point. Not sure if there are ways around that for wheelchair/crutch users.

I won't go into any other detail because spoilers. But if you like WotW, you'll like this.

If VR gives you motion sickness, take this as a warning: You will get motion sickness like a motherfucker. I had to close my eyes and go audio only for a couple of parts.

Edit: Not sure what the deal is with kids there, tbh. in places you go for a stroll with a VR headset/backpack. So I'd check with them before you go.

frankenbeans fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 5, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They picked the right time to open that issue for further study:

quote:

Other studies have also shown that use of the toilet lid reduces the spread of visible droplets which are produced when the toilet is flushed, but the physics of smaller particles is less well known.

quote:

His talk will take place at Federation of Infection Societies Conference 2019 (FIS 2019) in Edinburgh, taking place between the 11–14 November 2019.

Within a few months of then a significant fraction of the world's computing power was being devoted to finite element analysis of smaller disease particles.

More recent (post-2020) studies seem more pro-lid.

Meanwhile, at Adrian Chiles' flat:

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Once I got to a friend's just as he had finished his last roll of paper, and just as I needed a poo poo. He knows I "use water" as he put it, so he told me to do that, I asked for an empty bottle or something since he has no bidet, and he was completely confused as to why I would need that.

I asked him how he thought it works, and he said he thought I hang my arse into the sink under the taps.

but with a hosepipe.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Necrothatcher posted:

In the 90s my family moved into a house last renovated in the 70s and the bathroom had bright blue shag carpeting. Deranged.

e: basically this

Hey now I have bright blue shag carpet! Not in my bathroom though.

That's probably the most pertinent bit but I felt like I had to defend the honour of bright blue shag carpets.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

I couldn't place who this was even though the name ringed a bell , so I scrolled through their twitter. And while I'm still none the wiser, jfc are they OBSESSED with trans people. Dozens and dozens of posts/retweet a day and almost every one of them about trans people.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Like the ceiling?

you don't have to push that far in, but it you find it helps then don't let me stop you

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

Find someone who loves you like goons love bidets.

Bidets are poo poo. You want one of those high pressure water gun things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mega Comrade posted:

I couldn't place who this was even though the name ringed a bell , so I scrolled through their twitter. And while I'm still none the wiser, jfc are they OBSESSED with trans people. Dozens and dozens of posts/retweet a day and almost every one of them about trans people.
That's their new thing. Started off with Corbyn is a nazi antisemite, now onto actual Nazis weren't transphobic.