Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

YggiDee posted:

The longer a Frontline match goes the shorter respawn time should be, to increase chaos. Or longer, so one team wins faster.

Longer respawn timers and a shrinking play area (one-way walls and the spawn points move inward). Then a fixed number of respawns that get shared across the team, say 24.

I don’t love everything about battles royale, but they do know how to push things toward a prompt conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I like frontlines, have queued for it most days for about a year with my friend, we try reasonably hard and have a 50% winrate or so, etc. etc.

Even we've given up on queueing on borderland ruins days. It's a fail map

It's the only frontlines map I hate. It's so loving bad. Nothing cool ever happens on it and it drags forever, or feels like it does anyway.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hapqB91vg

How did it take this long for YouTube to recommend this to me

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yapping Eevee posted:

Likely a rhetorical question, but it bares repeating: because BLM is YoshiP's main, so they make drat well sure to keep it tightly balanced almost always.

Fortunately this means that BLM is also basically never underpowered.

Yeah, I had never thought about it other than 'cool he mains it too' until blm got those major buffs in pvp and apparently a lot of the fanbase claimed it was favoritism.

I have enjoyed blm basically never getting a rework though

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yapping Eevee posted:

Likely a rhetorical question, but it bares repeating: because BLM is YoshiP's main, so they make drat well sure to keep it tightly balanced almost always.

Fortunately this means that BLM is also basically never underpowered.

It was fairly underpowered in HW and to a lesser extent StB (and maybe ARR but I didn't play back then) because they just didn't do enough damage to make up for the lack of party buffs. On top of that, it was just a lot less mobile, especially in HW without Triplecast, so even if it had very high dummy DPS you will more often have unavoidable damage loss due to mechanics. It wasn't so bad that it couldn't clear content (though there were very few people who cleared ultimates on BLM) but it was definitely on the weaker side of DPS. Still better than HW Monk, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vitamean posted:

It's always a little bit annoying when I read this, because in my experience Frontlines is the most influenceable out of the three PvP modes. I've seen plenty of matches pushed from 3rd place due to a good shot caller wrangling the team into key positions and keeping them aware of the battlefield with macros. Obviously it's not guaranteed - nothing about PvP is - but even in a match with no one taking charge you can help guide people by calling out situations like an incoming pincer from the other two teams.

It's fine if you don't want to - I don't, typically - but to not and then say there's no way to influence a match sucks rear end.

Apologies for not getting back on this one, I was asleep, but... yeah, I really just haven't found that. Granted, I exclusively play Seal Rock (for that coat, obviously), which is the most absolute luck-based crapshoot of them all, and I don't know what the other two sides are doing, but a shot caller doesn't seem to do a massive amount, judging by the fact we usually have one.

I don't have friends that do PvP, so calling on them for a team is out, and calling on friends that don't do PvP seems cruel since the pitch is basically 'this game mode is hot garbage, wanna join in?'

There are pretty much only two reliable indicators of victory in my experience.
A: if your Seal Rock spawn point is the one on the west, you've got a better chance. Not a guaranteed chance, since ultimately RNG will put the nodes wherever the gently caress it wants, but west has more easily defensible node points (and I think more node points overall, I'm not sure).
B: the higher my KDA and damage output, the lower my chance of winning. It's uncanny how the only times I ever win are the times when I personally struggle to get anything going, but the times I'm snowballing like hell I will never actually win.

My odds of getting second place are actually quite high, which I recognize brings me above the average as far as Frontline victories goes, but that means absolute gently caress-all when you're there for the 100 victories rewards.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A good shot caller can absolutely help, but I've also had many instances where my team got a good lead in the first half of a frontline and then got focused by both enemy teams and ended up in third

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ah, maybe I should play more seal rock for that sweet coat....

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

The one with 6 capture points that takes forever should have Bahamut erupt from the earth at some random time to reenact End of an Era and start permakilling people for the rest of the match until only one team has any survivors left.

10% chance for Yojimbo to show up instead and start doing the Slice is Right GATE on top of the battlefield.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Consummate Professional posted:

The PS5 is compatible with a tooooon of wireless keyboards. I believe the PS4 is as well.

Yeah I know there are lots of keyboard add ons for that sort of thing. Even controllers with tiny keyboards.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There are some players dedicated to being a battlefield commander or w/e but it seems to mostly consist of stating the obvious, stating the obvious with bongo drums, and yelling "focus on [highest scoring team]

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I know there are lots of keyboard add ons for that sort of thing. Even controllers with tiny keyboards.

I did have one of those for my PS4. It was an okay stop gap for "hi" or "what am I doing wrong". A keyboard is really nice and has helped me socialize a bit, which is apparently a part of MMOs?

Also, I can perfect air force one with the mouse which is fun

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Xun posted:

Ah, maybe I should play more seal rock for that sweet coat....

Let me assure you, it is absolutely not worth it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you'd think "attack the winning team" would be obvious but lmao at all the times second and third place just get into an endless meatgrinder while first keeps running around uncontested

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

As a shot caller there are some big things you can do to help, especially in Secure and Shatter.

-the next set of small nodes in Secure always spawn 4 minutes after the last small node in a set dies; a lot of teams get confused on the timing after the big node shows up, because that one doesn't affect the timing of the next spawn so it seems shorter than usual
-Shatter only has a limited set of big ice spawn patterns; one of the most common is a spawn at 19, 16, 12, and 8 minutes remaining; however if one doesn't spawn at 16, the next will be at 15 and 10 with one of those involving a double big ice spawn. On the other hand, on the weird rare pattern where all the small ice lights up at the start of the match, the big ice takes a long time and then eventually starts spawning every 2 minutes (at 14, 12, 10, and 8 I think), so teams have to be ready to sprint to the next one really quick every time. If your team actually listens, this stuff is pretty hugely important.

Beyond that the main benefit of shot calling is just getting your team to go to the same place, and not get sandwiched by the other two teams. It is pretty random whether they'll actually listen but you just gotta get zen about it and accept that sometimes it doesn't matter what you do or say.

Seal Rock is indeed the most random and unbalanced one imo, the different bases are just wildly uneven and sometimes the spawns are just stupid. There are too many cases where the spawns basically force your team to get sandwiched between the other two right outside your base, and it's nearly impossible to convince a team to retreat completely to get the other teams to start hitting each other.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hope you enjoyed your BBQ, because its time for some after-dinner reading in the Stormblood LP

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Oneiros posted:

you'd think "attack the winning team" would be obvious

Making otherwise inefficient plays just because you get to attack first place is almost always wrong.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Oneiros posted:

you'd think "attack the winning team" would be obvious but lmao at all the times second and third place just get into an endless meatgrinder while first keeps running around uncontested

It's not obvious, mostly because if they are winning, they've probably got battle highs and if you can't trick the other team into also attacking them, you're probably just going to feed the winning team.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Also if you're just there for XP/tomestones/wolf marks, scoring a quick and easy second place instead of gambling for a longer and more difficult first is probably the smarter move. Ergo, mercilessly bullying the team in last place (which I think most Frontlines maps basically decide themselves through RNG) while the clear first just waltzes to victory is actually a completely functional strategy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Oneiros posted:

"Attack the team that's in 1st place" makes perfect sense in theory. By killing them, you both increase your team's score while reducing their score. This in turn leads to them losing and you winning.

In practice, however, it's almost never going to work because if your team is in 3rd place, then the other two teams are already kicking your rear end quite handily, and are likely just farming you for kills to end the match.

If you're in 2nd place, your odds aren't much better because in addition to trying to overcome the team that's in the lead, you also have to defend yourself from the team that's behind because they figure that they won't be able to beat the team in 1st, so they assume the best option is to go after your team instead even though it's a losing strategy (like crabs pulling each other down into the bucket as they try to pull themselves out).

tl;dr - "attack the team in 1st place" is the right move in theory, but unfortunately, you're not in theory, you're in Frontline.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

W.T. Fits posted:

unfortunately, you're not in theory, you're in Frontline.

new thread title

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

W.T. Fits posted:

the right move in theory, but unfortunately, you're not in theory, you're in Frontline.

Seconded

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

For me it's less "dive the winning team" and more "don't insist on starting big neverending fights with the other non-winning team."

You can often end up in third place early on just because of RNG depending on which mode you're in, and it's very rare for even a battle high fed team to be able to actually take on both other teams. It's just really, really hard to convince people to stop chasing thoughtlessly.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It only takes one of the teams to commit to endlessly fighting. I guess you could stand there letting them kill you if they are not the winning team... Not sure if that actually helps you though

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Twibbit posted:

It only takes one of the teams to commit to endlessly fighting. I guess you could stand there letting them kill you if they are not the winning team... Not sure if that actually helps you though

Yeah, whenever you see the second and third-place teams going at each other, chances are pretty high that one of those teams doesn't actually want to and is just desperately trying to get some breathing room.

EDIT: All of these are, of course, evidence for why Rival Wings should get the daily challenge instead of Frontlines.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Twibbit posted:

Yeah, one of my Frontline pet peeves is when shotcallers get angry about fighting the wrong team when the "wrong" team is camping our spawn, contesting the same point we are, or otherwise fighting us without the "right" team around. Can't focus red when yellow is here bottlenecking me in spawn, duder!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Twibbit posted:

You can just walk away. If they chase you all the way back to your spawn then they will eventually get completely owned by your respawning people. Almost every time I see this happen people say "We have to fight them, cause they're fighting us!!"

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, one of my Frontline pet peeves is when shotcallers get angry about fighting the wrong team when the "wrong" team is camping our spawn, contesting the same point we are, or otherwise fighting us without the "right" team around. Can't focus red when yellow is here bottlenecking me in spawn, duder!

i call them sun tzus theyve been around since alterac valley and theyre usually dumb as a sack of hammers

e: does anyone have pics of the new outfits from the back? I wanna see the angle of the hat because I don't like the straight brim pointing forward of the other modern baseball cap they have in the game. it doesnt really fit in a game where i throw sparkles and chakrams at god

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 5, 2022

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Off to a roaring start!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i cant imagine everyone trying to log in then also visit another data center at the same time is great for the server

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah, I had never thought about it other than 'cool he mains it too' until blm got those major buffs in pvp and apparently a lot of the fanbase claimed it was favoritism.

I have enjoyed blm basically never getting a rework though

It 100% wasn't favoritism. It was a PvP dev team putting the changes in too late to have enough time to test them before they couldn't be changed due to the final checks on the patch. YoshiP wasn't even noticeably playing a lot of CC until the changes were finalized and the patch was going through the final checks to make sure it didn't break the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_NEWS_EN/status/1544314531819708416?t=J-zH5xJb8j6Oudfad-zyyw&s=19

Servers can't keep up, suspended DC visit

They're getting 15k visit requests A MINUTE on a Tuesday before 9

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 5, 2022

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The biggest shot caller, "AttAck rEd," fail I've seen was during a Seal Rock match. We're the north spawn and holding the two very easily defended hill nodes in the southeast. Southern spawn team is running in in small groups and getting cut to pieces. Someone calls to attack red, the west spawn team, who have are sitting on that north-west node atop that hill inside their cave.

Enough people peel away that those left defending are pushed back and those who went to attack lose the team fight, so we drop from 1st to 3rd.

Martman posted:

You can just walk away. If they chase you all the way back to your spawn then they will eventually get completely owned by your respawning people. Almost every time I see this happen people say "We have to fight them, cause they're fighting us!!"

I suppose this is fine in Borderlands where you're just running back and forth between the two nearest control points until clashing in the middle. In node maps? Much less sound to pull away if you can hold on and keep the points ticking from the node. Especially in a close match where a distant 3rd place team can be the spoiler.

I've seen 1st and 2nd place teams in Onsal Hakair ignore everything else on the map to fight it out for the middle node and leave 3rd free to grab everything else and pull themselves back up into 2nd and sometimes 1st.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/FFXIV_NEWS_EN/status/1544314531819708416?t=J-zH5xJb8j6Oudfad-zyyw&s=19

Servers can't keep up, suspended DC visit

They're getting 15k visit requests A MINUTE on a Tuesday before 9

Holy hell

Yeah at some point you just gotta say "lol nah we're not supporting that load, let's all wait for y'all to cool off and use this not just because it's new"

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
squex locking people up who went to balmung in horny jail

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Robo Reagan posted:

squex locking people up who went to balmung in horny jail

Be horny on your own servers for once people!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

i think they should slowly roll out datacenter travel to saints of the firmament first, before slowly opening the tap more over time

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Vitamean posted:

i think they should slowly roll out datacenter travel to saints of the firmament first, before slowly opening the tap more over time

agreed

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm pretty sure you could just block travel to Gilgamesh and Balmung and reduce that 15000 number by 90%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
https://twitter.com/Weszor/status/1544332740862042112