Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF13-2 heard you. Instead of letting Serah long jump to get hidden treasures your throw a moogle at them. Hope you're happy, the moogle is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Harrow posted:

They had an explanation with the gravity manipulation device she has at the start of the game, but that also breaks right away when Sazh tries to hitch a ride.

That's for breaking the fall, and might be a callback to the peak of the final fantasy franchise: the final fantasy spirits within movie

Also, dragoons doing a jump is a whole thing-- nobody else can jump that high except for dragoons, so it's a lot more likely that jump is normally just Dragoon Magic

Red Mage, Black Mage, White Mage, Blue Mage, Green Mage, Dragoon Mage

e: Just rewatched the opening cinematic of FF13 and yeah that gravity manipulation device definitely gave her a bunch of cool jump-around abilities my bad. Gunblades turning into a gun is stupid though, they're supposed to shoot explosions.

jokes fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 5, 2022

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Dissidia everyone can fly so maybe they just choose not to in their original games

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The only problem with FFX is that the combat is boring, not bad just mechanically uninteresting. Fortunately the summons are neat to look at and it's all pretty zippy, just in and out of the battle mode with minimum fuss. It also has the fanciest Bahamut.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean it does make plenty of sense that Lightning can jump high because she has magic l'Cie powers and is also An Anime so I never really questioned it. She can jump high for the same reason Cloud can: she's got magic powers (Cloud from his mako/Jenova infusion, Lightning from l'Cie magic)

I do wish that more games where the protagonists can jump super high in cutscenes also had a jump button and let you jump around like crazy in gameplay too

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Heran Bago posted:

Agreed, it doesn't make narrative sense that she isn't super ripped.

Counterpoint I like that a character doesn't need to be super ripped and muscular to be considered strong and capable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what about Freya's legs how many leg days did she miss

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

freya is a rat

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that's no excuse!!!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

You gotta be pretty fit to river dance

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I mean it does make plenty of sense that Lightning can jump high because she has magic l'Cie powers and is also An Anime so I never really questioned it. She can jump high for the same reason Cloud can: she's got magic powers (Cloud from his mako/Jenova infusion, Lightning from l'Cie magic)

I do wish that more games where the protagonists can jump super high in cutscenes also had a jump button and let you jump around like crazy in gameplay too

in monster hunter you press r2 and then x and you pole vault into the sky if that counts

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't need or even want every woman in an FF to be cut or swole. I just think in a game about hiking around the world kicking the poo poo out of things at least one of them should be approaching the definition (although probably not proportions) of a Street Fighter character.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I demand all characters look cool and I refuse to define this or provide any helpful details.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zedprime posted:

I don't need or even want every woman in an FF to be cut or swole. I just think in a game about hiking around the world kicking the poo poo out of things at least one of them should be approaching the definition (although probably not proportions) of a Street Fighter character.

I mean Snow.

Also Fang sorta

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Snow.

Also Fang sorta
There's suitable beefcake with Snow, Barret, Zell, hell Basch is ripped for living in a cage and Caius is pretty shapely for a post apocalyptic wanderer.

Just disappointed the height of the lady side is Tifa = Fang > Lightning = Aranea >>> everyone else.

rear end kicking waifs are cool but not in a 100% sample size.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

in monster hunter you press r2 and then x and you pole vault into the sky if that counts

Yes, this is why the insect glaive is the best weapon and I will love it forever

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yes, this is why the insect glaive is the best weapon and I will love it forever

dunno if you've been playing rise but the new switch skill is even more "jump and stab poo poo" than ever and I can't put the ig down

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Harrow posted:

It’s the only weapon I use

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Flytrap posted:

I don't think any of the versions ever fixed the "Score One Goal And Hide Behind Your Goalie" exploit so it's easy to farm if incredibly dull.

Yeah, the blitzball implementation sucks in X

I've posted it before, but I actually like Blitzball Manager 2003 in X-2. It's fun to build the team and do the training, cool to see them get better and make partner plays. And most importantly, games are over really fast if you turn off the graphics so that everything is just icons, but you can watch the fancier stuff if you want to see Yuna do a sweet jecht shot into someone's face

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

blitzball rocks and needs be in ff14 7.0

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

dunno if you've been playing rise but the new switch skill is even more "jump and stab poo poo" than ever and I can't put the ig down

It makes me really happy that they made "stay in the air and keep slashing" actually do good damage in Rise so I can just jump and be a helicopter until I decide to do a dragoon dive directly into a monster's head before launching into the air yet again

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jokes posted:

They never explained why she’s able to jump 400 feet in the air.

She has an anti grav device you see a cutscene of her activating in the opening bit during the first time she super hops.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Agents are GO! posted:

I disagree with this. One of the things FFXIII did very well - and was able to do very well because of its design - is its encounter design. Each encounter in an area raises the stakes a little more.

XIII definitely has great encounter design in general, but there were definitely sections here and there that have a lot of repeats and the nature of XIII’s combat system makes repeated encounters feel more tedious than in other games in the series, since individual battles can be very involved and take several minutes to clear.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm looking at you, Pulse encounter of a dozen small whatevers that either take 3 seconds or 30 seconds to beat depending on if your ruinga hits them before they scatter.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Reached chapter 6. So far there has been no sidequests, no named supporting characters, no towns, no dungeons, no villains, no real subplots. As expected.

Its speak to a level of incompetence that so many RPG trappings are absent to serve a vapid narrative, despite the budget and pedigree.

This game strongly reminds me of Assassin's Creed III.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 5, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

I'm looking at you, Pulse encounter of a dozen small whatevers that either take 3 seconds or 30 seconds to beat depending on if your ruinga hits them before they scatter.

In my last run, I really did try my best to always get at least 3 stars, preferably 5 stars, and maybe it was this fight which I always got zero stars for. I just remember it was on Pulse and had a lot of little guys.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RPGs that have positioning based moves would benefit so much from having spells/abilities/whatever that let you forcefully reposition the enemy. Like it'd be cool for an encounter with a lot of guys to combo a move that pulls everyone in with a big AOE

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Lightning's biggest flaw is that she's a cop.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lightning is national guard. Snow is a cop.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The entire FFX party slides down a chain from an airship while doing backflips and dodging anti-aircraft batteries, FF characters can do whatever the hell they want.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Snow is the worst character because he's a 30-year-old-looking giant who's pining for his child bride.

The fact that his jacket functions as a weapon instead of his gloves speaks to the level of abstraction with the game's art-style. None of the enemies you fight look like anything.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Does Snow really look like he's 30?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Does Snow really look like he's 30?

In terms of IQ, sure.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Reached chapter 6. So far there has been no sidequests, no named supporting characters, no towns, no dungeons, no villains, no real subplots. As expected.

Its speak to a level of incompetence that so many RPG trappings are absent to serve a vapid narrative, despite the budget and pedigree.

This game strongly reminds me of Assassin's Creed III.

I find it amusing how much FFXIII-2 compensates for those shortcomings.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

clive can jump twice the height of a giant morbol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

In terms of IQ, sure.

"Heroes don't need plans!" is the motto of every good FF protagonist.

quote:

I find it amusing how much FFXIII-2 compensates for those shortcomings.

You gotta give them credit, they heard the chorus of criticisms about XIII and so made a game that addressed most of them. And, whaddya know, it ruled.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

zedprime posted:

Lightning is national guard. Snow is a cop.

snow is like, a vigilante or something

lightning is a cop but for some reason cocoon cops are a branch of the military.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A gendarme

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lightning is a mountie?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Snow is a mall cop with delusions of grandeur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lightning is a mountie?

Final Fantasy Megathread: Lightning is a Mountie

cock hero flux posted:

lightning is a cop

Yep, she's a cop all right.

Is it domestic violence if it's your future (but not gonna happen lol xiii-2) brother in law?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Snow is a mall time cop with delusions of grandeur

FTFY

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm still not sure why or how Lightning was able to ask that door to open.

Door didn't wanna catch these hands.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 5, 2022