Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The first Thor looks great. And I love all the dutch angles and wide views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Codependent Poster posted:

yeah! thor 1 is underrated not least because of its massive use of the king of angles with names that relate to a European nationality, the dutch angle

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know that the lesson Thor learned in Thor 3 was "Asgard is the people, not the place." But part of me thinks they blew it up because filming space ship sets and random gardens on Earth is cheaper than the Asgard set.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know that the lesson Thor learned in Thor 3 was "Asgard is the people, not the place." But part of me thinks they blew it up because filming space ship sets and random gardens on Earth is cheaper than the Asgard set.

In-studio green screen is 1,000x cheaper than any on-location shooting.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That may be true, but I will continue to spin this in a way that will prove Disney is cheap and bad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cameron gave a particularly bonkers interview about the future of the Avatar franchise.

- He might appoint a successor to direct Avatar 4 and 5.
- He thinks Avatar 4 will change the world's thinking on climate change.
- Sigourney Weaver will be back in Avatar 2, but she is playing a different character - Jake's adopted 14-year old Na'vi daughter.
- He said the movie will have a very long run time, won't be cut down, and is designed so that you can get up and pee several times during the movie without missing anything.
- He said he gets incredibly mad when "the trolls" say that "nobody gives a poo poo and they can't remember the characters' names or one drat thing that happened in the movie" about Avatar.
- He personally pushed for the theatrical re-release of Avatar happening in September to help people remember the plot of the movie.
- He thinks the Avatar sequels are "the dumbest business case in history" because they will be too artsy and conceptually challenging to have a wide mainstream appeal and too expensive to be financial successes.
- He said they viewed the Avatar sequels as "adaptations of novels" like the Lord of the Rings and had actual novels written internally to then adapt into screenplays.
- All of the future Avatar sequels will have companion video games released by Ubisoft that the movies will tie into, but will be standalone and not required to understand the movie plots.

The first of those games comes out in November 2022 and is called "Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora": https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/avatar-frontiers-of-pandora

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1543931342047551490

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 5, 2022

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Lmao it’s kind of awesome. “Here’s a billion dollars James Cameron.” “Yea ok that’s cool maybe I do something with it or maybe I don’t, IDGAF.”

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Even the second has some inventive stuff. The reveal of Loki's room is the closest the MCU has ever gotten to actual sincerity.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Cameron gave a particularly bonkers interview about the future of the Avatar franchise.

Optimistic of him thinking that Climate Change won't kill us all by then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Optimistic of him thinking that Climate Change won't kill us all by then.

Yeah I was about to say. "It'll change the world's thinking when it comes out in a minimum of 5 years"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Seems really irresponsible to save the world changing message for the 4th movie.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

- He said the movie will have a very long run time, won't be cut down, and is designed so that you can get up and pee several times during the movie without missing anything.

“Yeah there will be a bunch of extra unnecessary bullshit in the movie” is a hell of a play

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

- He thinks the Avatar sequels are "the dumbest business case in history" because they will be too artsy and conceptually challenging to have a wide mainstream appeal and too expensive to be financial successes.

Well, this does grab my attention.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's a great thing to say right before your quadrilogy is about to start coming out

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Schwarzwald posted:

Well, this does grab my attention.

He apparently thinks that applies to the original Avatar too, so not sure where his bar is calibrated for "conceptually challenging" and "artsy."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

- Sigourney Weaver will be back in Avatar 2, but she is playing a different character - Jake's adopted 14-year old Na'vi daughter.
- He said he gets incredibly mad when "the trolls" say that "nobody gives a poo poo and they can't remember the characters' names or one drat thing that happened in the movie" about Avatar.
- He personally pushed for the theatrical re-release of Avatar happening in September to help people remember the plot of the movie.
- He said they viewed the Avatar sequels as "adaptations of novels" like the Lord of the Rings and had actual novels written internally to then adapt into screenplays.
- All of the future Avatar sequels will have companion video games released by Ubisoft that the movies will tie into, but will be standalone and not required to understand the movie plots.

The first of those games comes out in November 2022 and is called "Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora": https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/avatar-frontiers-of-pandora

Snyder x Cameron style predator arm clasp "gently caress the studios we're putting out 4+ hour films of indulgence"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jimbot posted:

Snyder x Cameron style predator arm clasp "gently caress the studios we're putting out 4+ hour films of indulgence"

Avatar adult diapers will be sold at the concession stands.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Everyone posted:

Avatar adult diapers will be sold at the concession stands.

They better turn blue when wet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jimbot posted:

And make shitloads of money doing so!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cameron should let someone else direct Avatar 4 and 5 so he can make Alita 2 and 3.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

Cameron should let someone else direct Avatar 4 and 5 so he can make Alita 2 and 3.

Zack Snyder's Avatar 4 is too much to hope for.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

Zack Snyder's Avatar 4 is too much to hope for.

The Nav'i doubling in width between movie 3 and 4.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

“Yeah there will be a bunch of extra unnecessary bullshit in the movie” is a hell of a play

"These movies won't make their money back". I'd love to see the studio head's reaction to this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
James Cameron has lost his goddamn mind and I'm here for it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chemtrailologist posted:

"These movies won't make their money back". I'd love to see the studio head's reaction to this.

They'll probably arrange a zoom call to JC's covid bubble and he'll just yell at them until they give up.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is Weaver voicing the 14-year old? That seems weird. But it'd also be weird if she only did the mocap.

I kinda like Avatar. It's hella basic but also stupidly sincere in ways I didn't expect from a Hollowood mega-production. I'm looking forward to the sequel mess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Even the second has some inventive stuff. The reveal of Loki's room is the closest the MCU has ever gotten to actual sincerity.

Thor deals with crushing sadness in all his movies tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

teagone posted:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

There is a lot to unpack just in those few sentences alone. It's hilarious that he thinks of the Avatar movies as artsy and conceptually challenging movies made not to have mainstream appeal but to make people think about things like climate change; then hands the license for them to loving Ubisoft of all people, for a start. A company that will churn out the most cookie-cutter, safe bullshit "sandbox" games in the world. Then again, I suppose with how forgettable a lot of people find Avatar 1, maybe he thinks that forgettable games are just the ticket to accompany them.

Secondly hilarious: "I'm angry that people online say Avatar is forgettable", followed by "I wanted Avatar re-released just before it's sequels so people remember the original movie". It's kind of funny that he had each movie written out as a novel before adapting it to a movie too, as if a movie screenplay can't have depth on it's own or something. Also, is it movies, studios or cinemas that would control intermissions? Cause if you're going to make a super long, 4 hour movie, can you not just include an intermission instead of including scenes of characters twiddling their thumbs for a few minutes so the audience can feel safe taking a piss?

teagone posted:

I still think it's pretty funny that Cameron spent multiple decades wanting to make a movie of Battle Angel Alita, including creating a TV show that aped it when he couldn't get the license and only found out a few years before he made the movie that there was more manga than the little he'd read all those years ago. After which he gave the film to someone else to make while he produced it and then crammed several volumes worth of story into one movie, rather than letting it breathe at all and giving focus to the various parts of the plot.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 5, 2022

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Was Napoleon actually evil? The simple history I read showers him as just a commander who wanted power and to conquer. As was the style at the time.

All conquerors are evil.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

anatomi posted:

Is Weaver voicing the 14-year old? That seems weird. But it'd also be weird if she only did the mocap.

She is voicing and mo-capping the 14-year old.

This is her new model.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

tsob posted:

Cause if you're going to make a super long, 4 hour movie, can you not just include an intermission instead of including scenes of characters twiddling their thumbs for a few minutes so the audience can feel safe taking a piss?
I'm also not sure how the latter works unless either A) the movie is so repetitive that you can leave for few minutes at any point knowing whatever you missed will be covered again and boy won't that be fun with an extended run time or B) there's going to be some indicator that a given scene is a good time to bow out momentarily ("Every time a scene starts with a waterfall you can go take a piss.").

Or maybe Cameron himself is taking the piss with this interview. If so good on him for nailing the exact sort of insanity one would expect from an auteur huffing an extra rich supply of their own farts (even if that's not much of a stretch from his usual demeanor).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I may never stop laughing from almost every bullet point here.

"You assholes seriously don't remember everything that happened in the last movie? Well what if Sigourney comes back, but as Jake's daughter, huh? You don't remember her, or Jake anyway, so you shouldn't care, right? RIGHT?!"
"I don't give a poo poo how many times you have to take a piss during my movie. JAMES CAMERON IS FUELED BY YOUR PISS COMPLAINTS!"
"You know these are based off of novels, right? Oh, you've never heard of them? That's probably because I had the novels privately written, just so I could based the screenplays off of the novels. No, you can't read them, why?"
"I'm gonna solve Climate Change with the 4th movie! You'll see! If I can be bothered to make that movie, meh."
"...did I seriously say I was gonna do 5 of these things? I've made a huge mistake."

This is the funniest outcome from the last 10 years or so of him saying he's making 5 Avatars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She is voicing and mo-capping the 14-year old.

This is her new model.

I love Sigourney but there is no amount of mocap that will make her sound 14.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

She's an alien 14 year old duh

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I love Sigourney but there is no amount of mocap that will make her sound 14.

Enter: VOCAP!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hope she sounds like little jon

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They should have a scene where she knocks someone over and kicks them a lot like in The Irishman.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Cameron somehow sounds envious of prequels era George Lucas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

tsob posted:

Enter: VOCAP!

They've been doing this with Star Wars for a few years now, so this isn't out of the realm of possibility.