Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

genericnick posted:

Wait so you're telling me the Saudis aren't driving like maniacs anymore? Never been there myself, but last I heard they were world leading in psycho carbrain.
It's a recent change and I was just as surprised to learn about it. It's the sort of change that American car brain could follow.

The real solution would be no cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

there's a type of speed bump which is like an inflated cushion and if you hit it below the speed limit it deflates and you don't feel it, if you hit it above the speed limit the air can't escape fast enough and it acts like a normal speed bump. the costs and maintenance are probably prohibitive which is a shame.

I'm sure I've said in this thread before, but be careful when asking for speedbumps. they installed them in my street and the result was

- no apparent reduction in speeding vehicles, they're just super loud now as they clatter over the bumps
- every truck, car with trailer is loud as gently caress
- when a lorry goes over them you feel the vibration through the whole house
- cars now weaving into the cycle lanes and onto the wrong side of the road to avoid the bumps
- sharp bits of coil springs in the cycle lanes
- they fall apart and the council just cheaply patch them so they look poo poo and make the road look in poor repair, when it's only the bumps which are breaking up

there was a period when they closed the street to repair a gas main and it was bliss

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

That's why bollards are the answer. Yes, it will be louder when a car hits a speed bollard, but they shouldn't have been traveling faster than the car speed limit of 0 mph

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

genericnick posted:

Wait so you're telling me the Saudis aren't driving like maniacs anymore? Never been there myself, but last I heard they were world leading in psycho carbrain.

yeah American drivers are nowhere near top of the list of wild driving and lack of respect for traffic lights/signs/road markings/pedestrians in general. they’re practically exemplary compared to Turks. America could be proud of its drivers!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i've seen enough car crash compilations to know that americans are not the worst drivers, just the stupidest

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

do other countries force drivers to get recertified to renew their license bc its always been crazy to me that in the US you do one exam at 16 years old where you park between some cones and then drive around the block and this gets you a license to operate heavy machinery for the rest of your life

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

the bitcoin of weed posted:

do other countries force drivers to get recertified to renew their license bc its always been crazy to me that in the US you do one exam at 16 years old where you park between some cones and then drive around the block and this gets you a license to operate heavy machinery for the rest of your life

I have an EU driver's license that's valid until I'm 70 lmao

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If you hate wheels so much then what's with the leftist circular firing squad. A circle is basically a wheel

As long as it is horizontal it is acceptable. The circular firing squad only becomes a wheel, and thus a problem, when we elevate some above the mean distance from the ground and press others into contact with it.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
how drunk do you think this guy was
https://twitter.com/GAFollowers/status/1543674588953018368?s=20&t=hwiLTo--alUTq6AbujGNAQ

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

mawp

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Irony.or.Death posted:

As long as it is horizontal it is acceptable. The circular firing squad only becomes a wheel, and thus a problem, when we elevate some above the mean distance from the ground and press others into contact with it.

I dunn*, it just seems a little pr*blematic t* me t* be pr*m*ting the hateful ic*n*graphy *f the dreaded Wheel like that

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

whoa baby

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine having to explain to your kids that "open season on the LA freeway" was actually supposed to be a joke because people didn't normally start shooting at each other while driving in the old days

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

https://twitter.com/ripkarter/status/1543677024052584453?s=20&t=OVMmldnh3QtMi0znbiJGag

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Drunk? Every rear end in a top hat who keeps a handgun in his vehicle is just waiting for an opportunity to do this.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Horace posted:

there's a type of speed bump which is like an inflated cushion and if you hit it below the speed limit it deflates and you don't feel it, if you hit it above the speed limit the air can't escape fast enough and it acts like a normal speed bump. the costs and maintenance are probably prohibitive which is a shame.

I'm sure I've said in this thread before, but be careful when asking for speedbumps. they installed them in my street and the result was

- no apparent reduction in speeding vehicles, they're just super loud now as they clatter over the bumps
- every truck, car with trailer is loud as gently caress
- when a lorry goes over them you feel the vibration through the whole house
- cars now weaving into the cycle lanes and onto the wrong side of the road to avoid the bumps
- sharp bits of coil springs in the cycle lanes
- they fall apart and the council just cheaply patch them so they look poo poo and make the road look in poor repair, when it's only the bumps which are breaking up

there was a period when they closed the street to repair a gas main and it was bliss

Speed bumps are a car-brained solution to the problem of car-centric infrastructure. Don't fall for it.
Bollards are fine though.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

if you think about it we really just need a FEW pedestrian crossings equipped with raise-able bollards that pop up whenever a pedestrian is present, per state, to put the fear of god into car demons

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I dunn*, it just seems a little pr*blematic t* me t* be pr*m*ting the hateful ic*n*graphy *f the dreaded Wheel like that

There is a difference between tolerance and promotion; we don't want to come across as crazy extremists, friend, we just want to bring things back into balance by instituting capital punishment for any non-sledded/ground-effect terrestrial vehicle.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Drunk? Every rear end in a top hat who keeps a handgun in his vehicle is just waiting for an opportunity to do this.

Grandpa critically injured a 25 year old, good poo poo

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/ch...JGALGTKTBZ5FJQ/

quote:

CHEROKEE COUNTY, Ga. — The family of a 25-year-old man shot multiple times during a road-rage incident spoke exclusively to Channel 2′s Ashli Lincoln.

Jason Daxon was a father and a fiance. He was shot by 61-year-old Wade McEwan in Acworth at the intersection of Highway 92 and Woodstock Road.

Daxon’s family thinks there is more behind the motivation for this shooting.

Angeline Peterson, the victim’s fiancé, feels it wasn’t just road rage, but also racially motivated.

“It’s just a senseless racist act of violence,” said Peterson.

Peterson said she can’t understand someone getting angry enough to pull out a gun and fire it though their driver-side window.

“The man just shot through his own window into Jason’s car: he tried to kill him, he tried to kill him,” said Peterson. “It’s not like he was doing anything to antagonize this man, he was just simply trying to pass him on the road, and the man would not let him in.”

Cherokee County sheriff’s deputies said McEwan pulled up next to Daxon and fired at least 14 rounds into his car.

Daxon was shot twice: once in the arm and once in the back.

Peterson said she, Daxon and their 11-month-old were just three minutes away from home.

Witnesses captured McEwan shooting Daxon and then driving away. Peterson said the video circulating on Facebook is difficult to look at.

“It’s just hard, to see my loved one and to know that my child’s father, he has no idea what’s going on,” said Peterson.

Peterson said this incident has caused their life to come to a complete standstill.

This week, Daxon, who is a Grammy nominated songwriter, planned on starting the next steps in his career after getting signed to a major record label here in Atlanta.

“He was supposed to have his photo shoots, his interviews, everything you can think of, and it just stopped instantly,” said Peterson.

Since the shooting, her fiance has undergone several surgeries. Doctors said it will take months for Daxon to recover.

Peterson said they have created a GoFundMe page to help with medical expenses and child-care needs.

McEwan was arrested and charged with aggravated assault, reckless conduct and reckless driving.

how isn't attempted murder in there

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

thanks, sent a small donation. on the way to a saturday shift once in georgia, had a nutter pull up alongside me screaming at me and worried he might shoot me. either a bernie or gay bumper sticker set him off the best i could figure.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Aggravated assault is attempted murder. It also covers intent to seriously injure, use of a deadly weapon, and oddly enough in Georgia, firing a gun from a car. The other charges is just the prosecutor dunking on an easy case with clear video evidence.

Apr 7, 2003

ah, they're two separate charges here

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

ah, they're two separate charges here

Yeah law is weird like that. You'd think it would be the same from state to state outside of weird things like how many bushels of corn you can transport in a sedan, but no. Murder gets defined a little differently too.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Association of Armed Retired Persons

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/mattzeitlin/status/1544310062713298946?s=21&t=sOfkxQ0-E04s-7mKh8qX6w

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Just think about how much gas you can hold in that big truck. It's an investment in the future

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lol

tbf the only cars available on most dealer inventory right now is just SUV and trucks. i wanted to get a civic hb (so i can destroy it, death2cars) but they were out of stock for like 6+ months. the only options available were SUVs. no one is making anything smaller than a ford f950 king cab

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Xaris posted:

lol

tbf the only cars available on most dealer inventory right now is just SUV and trucks. i wanted to get a civic hb (so i can destroy it, death2cars) but they were out of stock for like 6+ months. the only options available were SUVs. no one is making anything smaller than a ford f950 king cab

lol yeah i was idly looking to see what electric CAR is available to purchase in my city (houston!!! one of the largest cities in the USA!!!!) and the answer is none. i can buy an electric crossover or SUV or whatever but no cars. even poo poo like a nissan leaf or a chevy bolt or volt, nowhere in the whole drat city.

USA bad

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My new truck gets better gas mileage than my old truck, I am definitely saving the environment.

mystes
May 31, 2006

withak posted:

My new truck gets better gas mileage than my old truck, I am definitely saving the environment.
I hope you're driving a lot more so you can save the environment even more!

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

*doctor's voice* I'm sorry. It's car-brain. If only we had caught it sooner... unfortunately it's terminal.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

It's the American South, you need to shoot at someone at least 20 times before it's attempted murder.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
who i hate even more than unrepentant car people, are the "recalcitrant" car people who fancy themselves temporarily automated pedestrians and go off about "red light cameras actually are a scam, and i have authority to say that because i don't like driving"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mameluke posted:

who i hate even more than unrepentant car people, are the "recalcitrant" car people who fancy themselves temporarily automated pedestrians and go off about "red light cameras actually are a scam, and i have authority to say that because i don't like driving"

Red Light Camera's are literally a scam though. They create a perverse incentive to make whatever failson ran company that profits from them change the timings to both increase accidents and make intersection less safe for everyone.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
naw the worst are those but using disabled people as a cudgel for advocating for more cars.

ya'll🤞 it's 2022 👏 folx we need to have a serious discusion about everyone showing their asses with spect to the disabled and infirm loved ones. lets get it out now and face it, bikes and pedestrianism is ableism. cars ain't all that bad ya'll and its time you did some growing up ✔. it's vital for the lived experiences of disabled people to drive an suv and park it infront of every store at any time they need to. bike lanes hurt disabled people because they take away their important street parking. don't marginalize the disabled 🙏. it's not my job to educate you 👏👏

thanks ablebodied online twitter lib for protecting car culture :911:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Red Light Camera's are literally a scam though. They create a perverse incentive to make whatever failson ran company that profits from them change the timings to both increase accidents and make intersection less safe for everyone.

Or you know, you don't subcontract it out (I know, I know, :america:) or you don't give them control of the light timings which is much easier. Like are cities down in The Bad Place actually allowed private companies to set traffic light timings?

E: lol that is not the emote I expected but I like it

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
drivers deserve to be the subject of exploitation

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

14 rounds. i don't know anything about guns did this guy have to reload to do that or is it just carrying around a gun with an absurd capacity because :america:

Apr 7, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Red is still red and yellow is still yellow regardless of what the timings are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

leftist heap posted:

14 rounds. i don't know anything about guns did this guy have to reload to do that or is it just carrying around a gun with an absurd capacity because :america:

A plain old ubiquitous Glock 9m holds 15 standard