Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They're adding server hardware this time too, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Subjunctive posted:

That would explain why maintenance is so long for a .18 patch.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Good point. New servers in Europe and a whole new data centre in Japan (but no new servers, existing ones being redistributed).

That, along with data centre travel, is why the maintenance is so much longer than it would normally be for a smaller patch like this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they're making a 24 hour patch for the various reasons they have 24 hour patches, they also don't want people on the new servers who log in early to get a jump on tomestones.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And also it probably helps to not have a bunch of people logging on the very instant you’re done, assuming they even do finish ahead of schedule.

I’ve always been curious about the maintenance process, it’s obviously different every time but there’s the working on code and the hardware side (they’re putting in new hardware now but even in previous patches I wonder if they had people looking at the physical machines and seeing if there were any loose cables or whatever)

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
aside from being in limsa i just thought maelstrom looked cool ;-;

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.

sassassin posted:

Their state is 700 years old. They're just larping at this point.
Piracy wasn't officially outlawed until Merlwyb became Admiral. (10 years before the 7th Calamity?)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Maxwell Lord posted:

And also it probably helps to not have a bunch of people logging on the very instant you’re done, assuming they even do finish ahead of schedule.

I’ve always been curious about the maintenance process, it’s obviously different every time but there’s the working on code and the hardware side (they’re putting in new hardware now but even in previous patches I wonder if they had people looking at the physical machines and seeing if there were any loose cables or whatever)

Some of that is just standard maintenance. You don't need to turn things off to walk around and see if the cables look okay and everything's reporting the correct temperature. Hardware replacement, even, if it's just one node (whatever that means in your hardware layout) there's redundancy and ways to route around it and replace that one part without shutting the whole system off. I imagine someone somewhere has a list of things to do on maintenance days like this if it needs a hardware overhaul, but the main downtime is probably just uploading the final build to a bajillion different servers and making sure nothing hiccups.

That's just guesswork though, I agree it would be neat to see a breakdown of what happens. The downside is you'd then get a lot of backseat people saying how they "could improve."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

With the DC travel implementation I'm guessing they want to stress test that on the actual servers before opening them up to the masses

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I originally went with Flames since I started in Ul'dah but then I changed to Maelstrom because the Storm Lieutenant's Jacket is the best glamour.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
They probably want to sleep in between their own deployment and testing, and when everyone logs in and breaks things.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Should note that you can change your grand company later. The first time is free and the second time I think costs 90k gil, and you have to wait 30 days between changes, but it can be changed. You can get Captain rank and the bardings etc for all three of them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
With the DC transfers I imagine a lot of what they’re doing is sending data back and forth and seeing if anything drops.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FuturePastNow posted:

Should note that you can change your grand company later. The first time is free and the second time I think costs 90k gil, and you have to wait 30 days between changes, but it can be changed. You can get Captain rank and the bardings etc for all three of them.
15 days to be able to change GCs again. Some other notes about changing around:
-You start at Private with the GC you change to but you keep your rank in the other GCs should you switch back.
-Similarly, your GC seals do not carry over between GCs but the amount you had with your previous GC(s) is available if you switch back.
-If you get back up to the rank that you get access to the barracks again, the squadron members from your previous GC do follow you.
-You are not able to use items or glamours that belong to other GCs. I found this out the hard way when I got 100 Frontline wins while an Immortal Flames member which gives a horse mount with the GC you did it with, switched to another GC, and was unable to use the horse mount.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you switch GCs you lose access to the mount??

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i haven't played the game in a million years, which means i didn't really deal with the deprecation of hq gatherables. am i just supposed to convert all my hq gatherables to nq to save up space?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah, pretty much. They can't be used as if they were HQ anymore, even if you keep them that way.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
The only advantage they have over regular gathered materials is that they sell for slightly more to NPC vendors, by like a few gil at maximum.

It's not really a big deal but if you plan on vendoring them all and they sell more to NPCs than on the Market Board, sell them before lowering their quality.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Pirates are cool and the Admiral is the best. The Maelstrom also has the best salute by far, as Serpent looks terrible and Flames is just kinda okay.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Limsa Lominsa is pirate-themed but piracy is banned and the state hires assassins to kill anyone breaking the code of law.

Ul'dah isn't pirate-themed (except that the cops carry cutlasses) but everyone's pirating it up; robbing, murdering, tempering and selling each other into slavery in the silver mines.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ul'dah is Capitalism City and is therefore the worst.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Relyssa posted:

Ul'dah is Capitalism City and is therefore the worst.

Crushing Lolorito, the Syndicate and the Brass Blades is the true endgame of Final Fantasy XIV. The Ul'dah starter quests do such a great job of establishing those guys as evil bastards kicking orphans and puppies. The problem is the "nice" faction of monarchists are portrayed as incompetent crybaby clowns only worried about a PR catastrophe should the theft of a crown be discovered.

That's why the Flames need YOU!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I got into a giant street brawl with a gang there and it gave me (more) magical powers. Ul'dah is a land of contrasts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sassassin posted:

The problem is the "nice" faction of monarchists are portrayed as incompetent crybaby clowns only worried about a PR catastrophe should the theft of a crown be discovered.

So what you're saying is they're liberals? :v:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My Botanist has outleveled my Scholar. I presume this is not a problem.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

just keep your eyes on the MSQ prize

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Dareon posted:

My Botanist has outleveled my Scholar. I presume this is not a problem.
You will get locked out of Botanist job quest progress at some point if you don't keep up with doing MSQs on Scholar.

YggiDee posted:

If you switch GCs you lose access to the mount??
Yeah I couldn't use the horse until I switched back to Flames.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I can only assume this is some archaic ARR thing that never got patched since in practice there’s no real differences between Grand Companies mechanically and thus nothing to gain from “falsely” advertising you’re in one you currently aren’t by using their glam and mounts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rarity posted:

So what you're saying is they're liberals? :v:

The game's politics are generally pretty liberal/neoliberal despite opening with a very strong "society is awful, let us count the ways..." tone, and with it being a big old power fantasy creating an expectation that we might one day do something about it all. After a while it's not the system that's to blame, it's just bad actors disrupting the system. In Ul'dah's case Lolorito is eventually accepted as fine because he didn't want the Sultana dead (stability benefits his businesses more than revolution) and is considered a good person to go to for economic advice, while Teledji Adeledji is explicitly called out and mocked as a failing businessman who is resorting to dirty, Bond-villain level schemes to get ahead. The cur.

So we wind up violently stopping an uprising of the poor and desperate. For entirely Sensible reasons, of course. We're beating them for their own good. Revolution would be noisy and some people would get hurt. So let's keep society as it is and promise to be a bit nicer to each other. Better things aren't possible.

A lot of the class stories are about being cops, and much of the MSQ is about the rights of kings/hereditary rule. Tony Blair would love FFXIV.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

I can only assume this is some archaic ARR thing that never got patched since in practice there’s no real differences between Grand Companies mechanically and thus nothing to gain from “falsely” advertising you’re in one you currently aren’t by using their glam and mounts.

Radz-at-Han convention is serious business.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just met the aesthetician, he is... a lot

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rarity posted:

I love him. :allears:

sassassin posted:

A lot of the class stories are about being cops, and much of the MSQ is about the rights of kings/hereditary rule. Tony Blair would love FFXIV.
I just finished the Marauder 30 quest, and I love that the whole plot is basically you being the impetus for a future generic human fighter's backstory.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Rarity posted:

this was my sunday night and it changed my life

anyways <neolib chat>

Yeah i was super disappointed at the level 50 msq where the big strong raubahn and the cutthroat merlwyb were absolute weak nerds until the hippie kan-e-senna said "gently caress this we doin work" and they were "well i cant get upstaged by this tree girl" but it's shaking out so far. Speaking of which, time to log the gently caress on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've tried to work out how loving low Raubahn had to angle himself (dude's like 6'5") to pull off separating Teledji from Adeledji and I can't come up with anything that doesn't look completely ridiculous.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

sassassin posted:

In Ul'dah's case Lolorito is eventually accepted as fine because he didn't want the Sultana dead (stability benefits his businesses more than revolution) and is considered a good person to go to for economic advice, while Teledji Adeledji is explicitly called out and mocked as a failing businessman who is resorting to dirty, Bond-villain level schemes to get ahead. The cur.

So we wind up violently stopping an uprising of the poor and desperate. For entirely Sensible reasons, of course. We're beating them for their own good. Revolution would be noisy and some people would get hurt. So let's keep society as it is and promise to be a bit nicer to each other. Better things aren't possible.

I was extremely disappointed with this arc despite being well aware I wasn't going to get what I was hoping for. At this rate, we'll never get a Nanamo x Tataru BFF roadtrip arc.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Funky Valentine posted:

I've tried to work out how loving low Raubahn had to angle himself (dude's like 6'5") to pull off separating Teledji from Adeledji and I can't come up with anything that doesn't look completely ridiculous.

I think you mean "anything that doesn't look completely :krad:"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
So i'm 52 sum/sch now and was just wondering...i got a nice suit of blue gear on sch for doin the 45-50 job quest, but my sum gear is all level 40-43 kinda crappy stuff. Did...i miss something?

Also I just subscribed so i can get my retainer on and use the market board etc etc. What's a good general strategy for the next, oh, 20 levels or so gear-wise? Quest drops have been okay so far but i want to make sure i'm in the best stuff possible for my budget. Do i need to start farming these tomestones? anything on market boards i should be looking at? farm maelstrom seals and buy that poo poo? help a noob

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Jonny 290 posted:

So i'm 52 sum/sch now and was just wondering...i got a nice suit of blue gear on sch for doin the 45-50 job quest, but my sum gear is all level 40-43 kinda crappy stuff. Did...i miss something

Did you do the Summoner job quests? At this point in the game, Summoner and Scholar are different enough jobs that you'll be getting separate gear sets for them, not general Arcanist/Disciple of Magic gear. The summoner 45 and 50 job quests should give you upgraded gear for it.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Jonny 290 posted:

Also I just subscribed so i can get my retainer on and use the market board etc etc. What's a good general strategy for the next, oh, 20 levels or so gear-wise? Quest drops have been okay so far but i want to make sure i'm in the best stuff possible for my budget. Do i need to start farming these tomestones? anything on market boards i should be looking at? farm maelstrom seals and buy that poo poo? help a noob

When you do the level 50 job quest for any job, you'll be given a coffer with i90 left side gear, as you've seen. Continuing through the MSQ will gradually award you some i70 accessories, a weapon upgrade, and another armor upgrade. I played through without buying any new accessories or gear all the way to the start of Heavensward and I was fine enough. You're absolutely free to buy crafted gear off the marketboard, and once you start earning Tomestones you can cash them in at vendors in the cities or Mor Dhona for Ironworks stuff, but you don't absolutely have to presuming you keep up with MSQ and are focusing on one or two jobs.

That said as an experienced player that has run alts through that same stretch of game a few times I buy a decent weapon off the marketboard as soon as I hit 50, take the class gear, find the cheapest source of accessories I can find, and replace bits and pieces with Ironworks gear as I earn the Poetics to make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jonny 290 posted:

So i'm 52 sum/sch now and was just wondering...i got a nice suit of blue gear on sch for doin the 45-50 job quest, but my sum gear is all level 40-43 kinda crappy stuff. Did...i miss something?

You'll have to do the summoner quesline as well - they are separate. But all of the original jobs will have quests in that range with their own artifact gear.

Once you're post 50 (quest wise, not level wise) the tomestone gear is your best bet. You shouldn't need to farm for them if you're doing the optional dungeons and raids as they open up, which I imagine will more than fund what you need for smn and sch. It will last you comfortably into the middle of heavensward, where dungeon drops will start to overtake them around level 55. At 60 you get a new tomestone tier, which lasts to 65, etc.

Don't spend money on gear until max level, and you can ignore the GC seal stuff as it mostly peters out around level 40.