Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

calusari posted:

Can anyone please link or explain (in simple terms) how to undervolt a 12700k.

Step 1: Give it less volts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Went from 3900x to 12700k. Intel is FAR better for various reasons. I am using a DAW studio type computer and Intel is raping AMD in latency out of the box. There are many variables but still, Intel rules the roost for this.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
wow, great post, good to know that intel is forcibly inserting their penis into amd.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Winifred Madgers posted:

Step 1: Give it less volts.

To OP wondering about CPU undervolting: it's... kinda tricky. In days of yore, when I was undervolting an AMD FX-8320, it literally involved stepping down the core voltage by small increments and testing until I found a point where it became unstable, then nudging the voltage up slightly, testing again to see if it was stable, and then hopefully calling it a day. This approach may still work on a modern CPU - hop into the BIOS, see where your core voltages lie, and start gently adjusting voltages and seeing what happens.

redeyes posted:

Went from 3900x to 12700k. Intel is FAR better for various reasons. I am using a DAW studio type computer and Intel is raping AMD in latency out of the box. There are many variables but still, Intel rules the roost for this.

Jesus, goon, I get you're excited, but dial it back.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 29, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Performance might be stored in the balls, as per the thread title, but come on dude there's a line it's 2022 be cool

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Jesus, goon, I get you're excited, but dial it back.

Im excited to have a good working rig without babysitting the loving thing. Dial back what? Do you understand what a DAW is? Do you measure overall system latency under load conditions? If not, why even comment?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

redeyes posted:

Im excited to have a good working rig without babysitting the loving thing. Dial back what? Do you understand what a DAW is? Do you measure overall system latency under load conditions? If not, why even comment?

You could tell us these sorts of things without describing it in terms of sexual assault. This ain't Xbox Live.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sorry but finding something that simplifies or eases your everyday workflow is sex talk worthy

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
it was the raping, you dolt

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
jesus loving christ

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Trolling Thunder posted:

it was the raping, you dolt

Ah yeah next time I’ll actually read it better

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

To cleanse the timeline a bit:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1542026339707981827

https://twitter.com/9550pro/status/1542003665975709696

Was kinda disappointed with those single core scores at first given the big bump in cache (from 44MB to 68MB) and clocks, but CPU-Z doesn't seem to care about L3 much. The 5800X3D scores lower than the straight 5800X in those tests. So whomst know yet!!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

From what I've read there doesn't seem to be substantial single-threaded improvement over Alder Lake, with the gains going to multi-threaded as you'd expect from adding more E-cores.

Will that change by launch time, or is any single-threaded performance gain just going to come from higher clocks?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm curious about the power considering how much Alder Lake needs to hit the last hundreds of mhz. Maybe they'd at least run the E-cores at appropriate voltage as someone mentioned before.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm curious about the power considering how much Alder Lake needs to hit the last hundreds of mhz. Maybe they'd at least run the E-cores at appropriate voltage as someone mentioned before.

I think someone here (Paul?) confirmed that the little cores are running on the same 12V line as the big ones. Since the little cores aren’t operating at an efficient voltage, Intel decided to juice the clocks to get what performance they could out of them, and with Raptor Lake they’re literally doubling down on the strategy. In the future - and especially for mobile-targeted chips - I’d expect Intel to adopt BIG.little with appropriate voltages to suit the strengths of each, but that will likely require a socket change to accomplish.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hasturtium posted:

I think someone here (Paul?) confirmed that the little cores are running on the same 12V line as the big ones. Since the little cores aren’t operating at an efficient voltage, Intel decided to juice the clocks to get what performance they could out of them, and with Raptor Lake they’re literally doubling down on the strategy. In the future - and especially for mobile-targeted chips - I’d expect Intel to adopt BIG.little with appropriate voltages to suit the strengths of each, but that will likely require a socket change to accomplish.

yeah I'd read that but taking a look at it further, while they are supplied from the same rail, and while Shamino does note that the e-cores definitely result in voltage droop as you enable them (so they're shared), it's described as a "partial FIVR" (partial fully, lol), so potentially the small core cluster could reduce its own voltage independently (despite being fed off the main rail). I haven't really read anything exhaustive on how it works yet, just trying to piece together some articles.

Still though FIVR is a linear regulator so the more you drop, the more you dissipate. It's better than switching transistors with it, but it's still pulling power and turns it to heat, etc, it's basically a big variable resistor.

There is a per-core voltage control mode too... and potentially you could reduce the allowed multiplier on the e-cores to push them a little farther into the efficiency range. But yeah maybe they just are clocking them too high to win benchmarks.

Alder lake in particular, the e-cores may not end up being worth it, because as Shamino notes, if you disable the e-cores you you can "yeet the ring multiplier" as he puts it. He's getting 5 GHz, I assume with LN2, and and you can supposedly get to like 42x-44x on ambient. Only 8 e-cores potentially isn't enough to make it worth it - yeah it'll be a bit faster in parallel stuff probably, but games/etc still favor punchy cores over more cores.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17206/the-msi-meg-z690-unify-motherboard-review-ddr5/8

https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/intel-alder-lake-cpu-overclock-guide

https://www.overclock.net/threads/maximus-z690-and-alder-lake-modern-cpus-require-modern-overclocking-solutions.1794893/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think the capitalization is big.LITTLE, for whatever reason.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assume the e-cores are much more efficient on mobile processors where the voltage will be saner and the clocks lower?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Paul MaudDib posted:

yeah I'd read that but taking a look at it further, while they are supplied from the same rail, and while Shamino does note that the e-cores definitely result in voltage droop as you enable them (so they're shared), it's described as a "partial FIVR" (partial fully, lol), so potentially the small core cluster could reduce its own voltage independently (despite being fed off the main rail). I haven't really read anything exhaustive on how it works yet, just trying to piece together some articles.

Still though FIVR is a linear regulator so the more you drop, the more you dissipate. It's better than switching transistors with it, but it's still pulling power and turns it to heat, etc, it's basically a big variable resistor.

lol no, lmao, how on earth did you ever convince yourself Intel's FIVR technology is linear regulators

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6803344 posted:

These 140 MHz multi-phase buck regulators are integrated into the 22nm processor die, and feature up to 80 MHz unity gain bandwidth, non-magnetic package trace inductors and on-die MIM capacitors.

The "partial FIVR" thing appears to mean that unlike predecessor chip Tiger Lake, where most supply rails including CPU cores were FIVR, in AL only uncore is powered by FIVR. Uncore is Intel speak for things like last level cache, ring bus or mesh interconnect, and so forth.

Finally, the voltage supplied from motherboard to FIVR regulators is fixed and relatively high - 1.8V, iirc. This is because, once again, it's not linear.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I think the capitalization is big.LITTLE, for whatever reason.

I think that one came out of ARM's camp and from what I've heard from people inside there they really do like loving around with naming things. For example, the Advanced RISC Machine's Architecture Reference Manual is published by a company called ARM, making it the ARM ARM ARM.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

I think that one came out of ARM's camp and from what I've heard from people inside there they really do like loving around with naming things. For example, the Advanced RISC Machine's Architecture Reference Manual is published by a company called ARM, making it the ARM ARM ARM.

One of the early popular variants was called StrongARM.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Arivia posted:

One of the early popular variants was called StrongARM.

That one was DEC's fault.

big.LITTLE, on the other hand, is definitely a trademark created by ARM Holdings.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Paul MaudDib posted:

There is a per-core voltage control mode too... and potentially you could reduce the allowed multiplier on the e-cores to push them a little farther into the efficiency range. But yeah maybe they just are clocking them too high to win benchmarks.

Alder lake in particular, the e-cores may not end up being worth it, because as Shamino notes, if you disable the e-cores you you can "yeet the ring multiplier" as he puts it. He's getting 5 GHz, I assume with LN2, and and you can supposedly get to like 42x-44x on ambient. Only 8 e-cores potentially isn't enough to make it worth it - yeah it'll be a bit faster in parallel stuff probably, but games/etc still favor punchy cores over more cores.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17206/the-msi-meg-z690-unify-motherboard-review-ddr5/8

https://www.overclock.net/threads/maximus-z690-and-alder-lake-modern-cpus-require-modern-overclocking-solutions.1794893/

Saying the e-cores "may not be worth it" is pretty weird. The multicore performance achieved by alder lake would have been impossible without them, and that was the design objective.

Intel could not have made a halo product without them. Yes, they could claim to have the fastest gaming CPU again with just 8+0, but gaming was/is not the only aim.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have the e-cores active and the ring bus is running happily at 42x. I think 42x is fairly easy even with all cores on? Not sure about 44x.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Are there any desktop chips coming like the mobile -U chips that have more efficiency cores than performance cores? It's weird to me that most of the desktop lineup has no E-cores, and they're reserved for only the higher end parts at huge TDPs.

On the mobile side, I see a whole line-up of things like the the Pentium 8505 and even lower end Celerons packing 5 cores now, and then by the time you're in the mid-range i5s the mobile parts have 10 cores, 2P + 8E. Why aren't we seeing mid or low priced desktop chips with a full host of E cores?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

calusari posted:

Can anyone please link or explain (in simple terms) how to undervolt a 12700k.

Undervolting or underclocking your CPU is entirely managed by your motherboard. If you have your motherboard's model number on hand, we can help look up your manual and steer you towards the settings.

Out of curiosity, what precisely are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to preserve your processor by taking a little bit of thermal stress off of it? Do you have an overclock in place and you want to take the voltage down a little bit, or do you have running on the stock clock and you just want it cooler regardless?

I ask because it is also possible and perhaps more straightforward/stable to underclock the CPU--or even do a blend of the two.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Twerk from Home posted:

Are there any desktop chips coming like the mobile -U chips that have more efficiency cores than performance cores? It's weird to me that most of the desktop lineup has no E-cores, and they're reserved for only the higher end parts at huge TDPs.

On the mobile side, I see a whole line-up of things like the the Pentium 8505 and even lower end Celerons packing 5 cores now, and then by the time you're in the mid-range i5s the mobile parts have 10 cores, 2P + 8E. Why aren't we seeing mid or low priced desktop chips with a full host of E cores?

My guess is that Intel has finite fab capacity and is trying to ensure that they have enough of those -U chips to fulfill laptop OEM orders.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Undervolting or underclocking your CPU is entirely managed by your motherboard. If you have your motherboard's model number on hand, we can help look up your manual and steer you towards the settings.

Out of curiosity, what precisely are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to preserve your processor by taking a little bit of thermal stress off of it? Do you have an overclock in place and you want to take the voltage down a little bit, or do you have running on the stock clock and you just want it cooler regardless?

I am reminded from my time in the trenches for a prominent video card and motherboard mfg I had the same weirdo demanded swap out of of an RMA because he was getting instability trying to undervolt the stock yorkfield era cpus because they wanted a cool room.

I doubt that's op's need but undervolters are out there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1544901642591633408

Intel matching ARM with the three-tier core design, it seems

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Qualcomm is up to 4 tiers now :v:

Though that's supposedly less to do with power efficiency and more to do with maintaining 32bit support when ARM has mostly dropped it from their reference cores, so they threw in a couple of 32bit cores

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

Potato Salad posted:

I ask because it is also possible and perhaps more straightforward/stable to underclock the CPU--or even do a blend of the two.

I have the Z690I AORUS ULTRA PLUS DDR4
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z690I-AORUS-ULTRA-PLUS-DDR4-rev-10/sp#sp

I have tiny ITX case. My workload is only gaming. Playing Cyberpunk 2077 for a couple hours my hottest P-core gets to 89-91C. I'm curious if I can improve those temps a bit.

Is this a good starting point?

quote:

Turn off Enhanced Boost

Core Voltage set to 1.250

Voltage mode: Adaptive+Offset

CPU core voltage offset: - (minus)

CPU core voltage offset: 0.100

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That is indeed a good starting place.

in addition to that undervolt, you can also drop the clock a few hundred GHz and REALLY save some power

Further, you might actually find it necessary to drop the frequency a little bit as you reach lower and lower undervolts: higher frequencies need higher voltages to remain stable--so as you lower the voltage, you may find that you might also need to lower the frequency a bit as well

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 7, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to run Intel XTU for overclocking in Windows 11. It tells me I have incompatibilities either in the BIOS or in windows but it isn't specific. Anyone know off hand what things to change?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

redeyes posted:

I'm trying to run Intel XTU for overclocking in Windows 11. It tells me I have incompatibilities either in the BIOS or in windows but it isn't specific. Anyone know off hand what things to change?

Do you have HyperV enabled?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BurritoJustice posted:

Do you have HyperV enabled?

Nope, just checked.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1544901642591633408

Intel matching ARM with the three-tier core design, it seems

gently caress everything, we're doing five-tier core design!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From a qualification sample (there's no change in performance expected from this to retail)

and in case you were hoping for less power consumption, lmao:

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I've seen my 12900K draw 175-180W in Horizon: Zero Dawn according to MSI Afterburner's CPU wattage meter on its overlay, wonder why.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From a qualification sample (there's no change in performance expected from this to retail)

Those are decent gains right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm guessing the cache is showing in the min FPS gains, there's way more of it and the uncore can now run at 4.7 with the E-cores enabled.