Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbf if I won the Euromillions tomorrow I'd 100% buy a property portfolio and live off the earnings, because I've no great desire to be poor as a form of dirty protest

as with climate change, it's more an issue of institutional reforms than it is about letting down the tyres on your stepdad kevin's M5

I'm not poor but I'm also not a landlord. Really makes u think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

tbf if I won the Euromillions tomorrow I'd 100% buy a property portfolio and live off the earnings, because I've no great desire to be poor as a form of dirty protest

as with climate change, it's more an issue of institutional reforms than it is about letting down the tyres on your stepdad kevin's M5

tell me you’re a crab in the bucket without telling me you’re a crab in the bucket

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

nawilo_420 posted:

I'm not poor but I'm also not a landlord. Really makes u think.

i've told you several times, oliwan, you don't own a john terry NFT just because you bought a birthday card with a monkey on it

yes it's technically worth the same now but we're sticking to core concepts today

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

ilmucche posted:

What does that even mean??

It's a reference to the novel ragged trousered philanthropists but made football

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

sprotto posted:

tell me you’re a crab in the bucket without telling me you’re a crab in the bucket

FLJ's head is too big to fit in a bucket thank you very much

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

sassassin posted:

Sadio Mane basically owns a village now but he's not sitting on a throne demanding the serfs bequeath him a percentage of their income. Yet.

Footballers pay way more in taxes than companies and directors, they are working class heroes and agents are allies (RIP Mino).

This is a definite tangent, but I've always wondered what the plan for Salah and Mane is once they can't play anymore. I hope they've set up foundations or some other vehicle to make sure whatever good work they're doing is sustainable.

Mane's basically built a hospital where there was none and passes out regular payments to families in his village. Salah's charity work is apparently similar. Not to sound like a capitalist rear end in a top hat, but I really hope there's a way to continue that without both of them having to work forever and past the point where it's healthy.

EDIT: Would it help to have a "footballers & money" thread where we can discuss stuff like wages and club finances? Maybe we already had one and it died a deserved death due to lack of interest?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Footballers are labor, so anyone who ever sides with the club itself / managment in a wage dispute is a moron.

“Working class”, I dunno lol. That’s complicated.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sprotto posted:

It's the opposite of that - I don't begrudge Robbie Fowler the opportunity to set his kids up to not have to work in a Little Chef, because if he doesn't then some other fucker will (or he puts his money into an investment fund that does all that with extra steps), and all you're then doing is entrenching existing class systems on a point of principle

You need active political and economic change to restrict that sort of rent-seeking behaviour, rather than just somehow relying on public shaming or posting masturbatory rants about guillotines on a dead gay forum before another 12-hour shift in the fart mines

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

EDIT: Would it help to have a "footballers & money" thread where we can discuss stuff like wages and club finances? Maybe we already had one and it died a deserved death due to lack of interest?

No, because it'll just be this:

rather than just somehow relying on public shaming or posting masturbatory rants about guillotines on a dead gay forum before another 12-hour shift in the fart mines

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Can't you just live off the Euromillions?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

Spoken like someone who has never suckled at the teat of passive income or compounding interest.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

sassassin posted:

my goal is to be Tony Khan but more northern

I've already mastered being a pissy baby on the internet, now I just need enough money to hire sportspeople as friends

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Did anybody sort out those streets around Anfield, they were a bit nasty if memory serves.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Collateral posted:

Did anybody sort out those streets around Anfield, they were a bit nasty if memory serves.

They paved parasites and put up a parking lot.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s been confirmed that the player is 29 years old, going to the world cup this year and is being arrested for offenses committed in Marbella, Spain in June.

Partey meets all the above conditions and was in Marbella last month, per his Instagram post.

The person is being investigated for two additional allegations of rape, these committed in April and June 2021 in relation to a different victim.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/05/arrested-premier-league-footballer-facing-two-more-allegations-of-rape-16946508/

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

There's at least 3 different understandings of what class means in the UK.

The one most people understand is just tied to wealth, but there's also the one where anyone who sells their labour is working class.

There's also a sort of caste system of class where a builder born into poverty (or a footballer, perhaps) could gain wealth and transition into having a successful business or a property portfolio and become a wealthy landlord, which would take them out of the 'working class' by the first two definitions, but would never make them good enough to be considered an equal by much of the professional middle class, let alone the upper class.

They themselves will never be, at best they can attain a sort of "pet" status, like minorities that do well, or LGBT etc. The real movement comes with them sending their children to the private schools, those children will be considered oiks, but still one of them. Those children will perhaps definitely be embarrassed by where their parents came from. Imagine having got an assisted place in the 80's, you wouldn't even have the embarrassment of a successful parent.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
lol never mind.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Vegetable posted:

It’s been confirmed that the player is 29 years old, going to the world cup this year and is being arrested for offenses committed in Marbella, Spain in June.

Partey meets all the above conditions and was in Marbella last month, per his Instagram post.

The person is being investigated for two additional allegations of rape, these committed in April and June 2021 in relation to a different victim.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/05/arrested-premier-league-footballer-facing-two-more-allegations-of-rape-16946508/

So is he Thomas Partey or Thomas Patsy? :tinfoil:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I don’t feel like Googling this. What’s the current situation with Gylfi Sigurdsson?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Off to play in Turkey, apparently.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I used to work with a guy whose son was a Ferrari dealer, so this is 3rd hand hearsay at best, but he would tell stories of how the biggest clients would be taking the piss out of Premier league footballers who only owned four or five supercars and very much viewed them as jumped-up nobodies who weren't and never would be in the big boys club.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Most Ferrari owners are souless cunts who hate fun, just like the brand itself, so that checks out.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Ultimately, Ferrari owners hate themselves.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lemon posted:

I used to work with a guy whose son was a Ferrari dealer, so this is 3rd hand hearsay at best, but he would tell stories of how the biggest clients would be taking the piss out of Premier league footballers who only owned four or five supercars and very much viewed them as jumped-up nobodies who weren't and never would be in the big boys club.

this reads as much jealousy of footballers being famous as anything else

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Way to derail the gently caress out of this thread by being typical class obsessed UK mongs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

🟥

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Feeling personally attacked?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A summer thread in the football forum got derailed, what a loving tragedy.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Seems as though the unnamed footballer has been further arrested for two more rapes going back to August 2021 and involving a different woman. I guess there was an investigation ongoing and the second accusation triggered the arrest? Either way Arsenal should start looking for a midfielder.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
im not even a little bit surprised by ninpo's shitposts but just for clarity while hes pretending to be a working class hero representative poster, heres one of his probates of me that included this very bizarre and seemingly racist XI of made up names relating to posts ive made

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sixarz Mekhmimad confirmed, here we go!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

the sex ghost posted:

Sixarz Mekhmimad confirmed, here we go!

fabrizio romano is banned from trp

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

EC10 posted:

im not even a little bit surprised by ninpo's shitposts but just for clarity while hes pretending to be a working class hero representative poster, heres one of his probates of me that included this very bizarre and seemingly racist XI of made up names relating to posts ive made

lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Jose posted:

fabrizio romano is banned from trp

he is

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

EC10 posted:

lmao

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

EC10 posted:

How did you think this was going to end?

:laffo:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

EC10 posted:

Lmao at this incredible self own

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

EC10 posted:

sorry i was mean about your post earlier ninpo, i take everything back lmao