Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Please tell me the guy behind Precision Transmission isn't a chud. I've only seen a few videos but there is something really fascinating watching someone do something in 30 seconds that would take me 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They're in ruralish* Texas so not great odds. He did start wearing gloves based on viewer comments though which, while a depressingly low bar, is a level of rationality beyond what I would expect from your typical chud.

*Not super rural but it's certainly not Austin.

Galler fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 1, 2022

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Why are we trying to deduce what people do in their time off. And I don’t need to know if a dude likes fat hairy dudes, more power to them but I want to hear about cars and computers and weird tech. Why does anyone give a gently caress what flag they got behind them?

Why can’t people just talk their politics or sexual poo poo with their close circle of friends? Why do I need to k it if you or me likes girls or guys? Can’t we just talk about poo poo without our private lives creeping in?

There is a guy I met on a rooftop bar in Nashville, with a group of his friends, since everyone needs identifying a black guy and I’m white and southern as gently caress. I can count on every Father’s Day he wishes me one bc he knows I have kids. I’ve visited him in Alabama and we’ve gone on epic bar crawls…me looking for girls and guess what I’ve just inferred he is gay and BIZARRELY it has never come up. Bc we like drinking and going out and he knows I like the ladies. One of the best people I know. I didn’t tell him I like girls, he didn’t tell me he likes guys romantically. Why would it matter?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Because gently caress nazis, op.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Agree

I only watch the teardown stuff of Precision Transmission but there has never been any hint politically, I don't see a reason to bucket them based on being in the automotive industry and living in Texas.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 1, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There's a difference between hanging out one-on-one and promoting someone and their business that goes out to thousands of people, especially when there are dozens of other channels that do the same thing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This.

op you don't have to point out that you're white and southern, your post does a magnificent job of that for you.

It also is glaringly obvious that you've never been around an automotive shop or community as topics will always going to devolve into crude jokes from politics to objectifying women. And its always a "joke" till it's not. This comes with high stakes and can have serious consequences in rural bumfuckistan where social groups are as small as their minds.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

op you don't have to point out that you're white and southern, your post does a magnificent job of that for you.

ROFLMAO

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

because everyone needs identifying
amirite

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

Why are we trying to deduce what people do in their time off. And I don’t need to know if a dude likes fat hairy dudes, more power to them but I want to hear about cars and computers and weird tech. Why does anyone give a gently caress what flag they got behind them?

Because I do not wish to support Nazis, and watching their videos does that through ad revenue and such. It ceases being entertaining when I know I'm financially contributing to a chud.
Maybe have some principles, yeah?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Thomamelas posted:

Please tell me the guy behind Precision Transmission isn't a chud. I've only seen a few videos but there is something really fascinating watching someone do something in 30 seconds that would take me 20 minutes.

This is a hard one - I absolutely respect his knowledge, skills, and willingness to share that with the automotive community. I've yet to see something (unless I missed a post?) that would stop me from enjoying his content from a technical perspective. I'm not trying to take a side here, as I'm firmly in the gently caress Nazi's camp. Is there a reason you're concerned he could be outside of where he lives? I guess I'm just confused as to how this came up outside of everdave being everdave.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
I think the new Corvette is really good looking. They look much better is person than in photos.

And I think people should be allowed to like whomever they like.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I feel like as someone in the automotive field, a solid majority of people just assume I share their chuddy views, when I'm firmly in the "eat the rich" camp and have no issue saying so. But I'll gladly make sure to add the "rear end in a top hat" charge to my hourly rate and take their money anyway.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MrLogan posted:

I think the new Corvette is really good looking. They look much better is person than in photos.

And I think people should be allowed to like whomever they like.

Agreed. It's not the prettiest car ever, but they look good, and from what I've read they punch at or above their weight performance wise. I think a lot of people just have their opinion dragged down by Corvette historical baggage. Which I get, but you'd think being easy to mistake for something exotic and triple the price at a glance would be an indicator they look decent. It's, like, praising with faint damns.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

the spyder posted:

This is a hard one - I absolutely respect his knowledge, skills, and willingness to share that with the automotive community. I've yet to see something (unless I missed a post?) that would stop me from enjoying his content from a technical perspective. I'm not trying to take a side here, as I'm firmly in the gently caress Nazi's camp. Is there a reason you're concerned he could be outside of where he lives? I guess I'm just confused as to how this came up outside of everdave being everdave.

Some others being problematic were brought up. I've started enjoying his stuff and just didn't want to wander into supporting a shithead.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm straight, DON'T like nazis or chuds even if they do make interesting YouTubes, (DO like the new Corvette aside from the fact it's only driven by 60 year old chuds, and went to West Hollywood on Tuesday for sushi (Japanese) with another straight friend (Black) and stayed around after because all the PRIDE bars down there were having a great time so we stopped in and had some 40 oz margaritas (Mexican) in a bar filled with a bunch of off duty drag queens straight outta central casting (Los Angeles) & a with big ol' gay mural on the wall featuring lots of skinny dudes with 12 packs in speedos.

I took pictures using my Samsung S22+ (Korean).

Also I like nuclear and wind power and V8 cars that get 14mpg (German).

Thanks for listening!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's a good place for margs.

Terrible car stuff: the AC is starting to go out in my Mazda2. In Vegas. In summer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

evobatman posted:

Teslas do not have any kind of mapping, memory, persistence or other training on what they have experienced or data they have gathered.

They run image analysis frame by frame on what the one 640*480 webcam from 2004 sees. Occasionally they get a new software update that is slightly more able to identify a bicycle.

They still apparently do not understand trains/trams

https://twitter.com/TaylorOgan/status/1542971644355936256?t=ORuzNjdmXW_VZU2fv5JhCQ&s=19

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm straight, DON'T like nazis or chuds even if they do make interesting YouTubes, (DO like the new Corvette aside from the fact it's only driven by 60 year old chuds, and went to West Hollywood on Tuesday for sushi (Japanese) with another straight friend (Black) and stayed around after because all the PRIDE bars down there were having a great time so we stopped in and had some 40 oz margaritas (Mexican) in a bar filled with a bunch of off duty drag queens straight outta central casting (Los Angeles) & a with big ol' gay mural on the wall featuring lots of skinny dudes with 12 packs in speedos.

I took pictures using my Samsung S22+ (Korean).

Also I like nuclear and wind power and V8 cars that get 14mpg (German).

Thanks for listening!

:perfect:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

It's apparently perfectly fine to beta test on public road because the driver should also pay attention you see? Nothing wrong with it trying to get T-boned by a tram cause the driver stopped it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's a good place for margs.

Terrible car stuff: the AC is starting to go out in my Mazda2. In Vegas. In summer.

My condolences to Mrs Wiggles.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Serperoth posted:

It's apparently perfectly fine to beta test on public road because the driver should also pay attention you see? Nothing wrong with it trying to get T-boned by a tram cause the driver stopped it.

That and Tesla just unceremoniously fired a huge number of the people working on their AI training so look forward to more of these sorts of stories as things like street trains change livery and no one is there to identify it for the algorithm.

Also I used to love Tesla cars for the electrification part alone (and would consider one if they just dropped the autopilot bullshit and put that money into QA) but now the only reason I want near one is to see if I can develop some adversarial imaging that makes them drive themselves into walls.

Not to rehash the EV thing but I want EVs for the future, I just want Tesla to crash or be bought out so we never have to hear from Musk again.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Agreed. It's not the prettiest car ever, but they look good, and from what I've read they punch at or above their weight performance wise. I think a lot of people just have their opinion dragged down by Corvette historical baggage. Which I get, but you'd think being easy to mistake for something exotic and triple the price at a glance would be an indicator they look decent. It's, like, praising with faint damns.

It's "easy" to mistake for "something exotic and triple the price" only with the squintiest of glances from the right angle. But everyone still knows what the rear of it looks like (hot garbage, and has since the C4) and the completely ridiculous and underwhelming interior. Like it's real bad, even at it's price point.

So if that's the "historical baggage" you're talking about, yes - it's plenty of reason to have a low opinion of these cars. None of these are overwhelming problems to correct, GM either doesn't care or doesn't need to based on their target market. And that target market obviously isn't someone like me or the other people with a similar opinion.

If you like them great. They're cheap for what they are if you don't care about the interior quality or how it looks and that makes for a good deal for you.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Not that anyone cares but I was a tech/mechanic at olds/Honda and Lexus in the 90’s. It was awesome and yes our jokes were beyond filthy but at any of those shops it felt like home and family. And not to pander but it didn’t matter, No matter who you were. And you will say oh it didn’t matter to you of course I get that…But…I had forgotten I was a detailer at a big ford dealer for a short time and it was ugly. Offensive even to me. I had not even remembered being there.

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 3, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

"aight I hosed up and I'm too embarrassed to call for a tow. the car belongs to the desert now"

https://twitter.com/DarraghMcKenna/status/1543710134471360521?s=20&t=HlcACHUrseMrHkM__ZLJlg

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Heard a story last night about someone who did that years ago!

They were high on mushrooms, were passed by a cop, freaked out, ate the rest of their stash, got super high, crashed off the road, and were so burnt to poo poo when they finally found people, they ended up in the hospital.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

"aight I hosed up and I'm too embarrassed to call for a tow. the car belongs to the desert now"

https://twitter.com/DarraghMcKenna/status/1543710134471360521?s=20&t=HlcACHUrseMrHkM__ZLJlg

Oh yeah, that's where I left it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Seeing as we're talking youtube people, Big Clive has one in the background of his videos and I'm none too sure which variation of queer pride it is exactly but there's a bear paw on it. Also CathodeRayDude has a SUPERB channel about electronical oddities, weird formats and such and has a really cool custom VHS tape cover on display in the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/c/CathodeRayDude

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Why I stay away from most car related youtubes. I like Mr. Regular, but I'm a little concerned that he has some secret chud down inside.

Coincidentally both of them are furries :v:

CRD is very much the more modern loud proud communist queer type furry, but Mr. Regular is one of the super old school types who was around back in the web ring days. You can even find his old youtube channel where the last thing he uploaded was him doing his Gonzo journalism shtick on a like 00s Anthrocon. Definitely not saying it's impossible, especially given the time period back then, but if Mr. Regular was any kind of chud I'd be surprised.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ishikabibble posted:

Mr. Regular is one of the super old school [furry] types who was around back in the web ring days. You can even find his old youtube channel where the last thing he uploaded was him doing his Gonzo journalism shtick on a like 00s Anthrocon. Definitely not saying it's impossible, especially given the time period back then, but if Mr. Regular was any kind of chud I'd be surprised.

holy poo poo

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Isn’t he a gay English major? Oh yeah that’s prime chud right there

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/jalopnik/status/1544356205023207425?s=21&t=FiB6EpyvkvlzH9Ep3fgSBQ

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fully agree with Jalopnik’s hot take on that one.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Chattering Teeth the Car

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Official vehicle of the Cenobites.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've never seen a filter feeder on land before.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
It's a Bussard collector

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cruise driverless cars blocked traffic for hours Tuesday night

quote:

Cruise’s driverless cars experienced serious issues Tuesday night with as many as 20 of its vehicles standing motionless for about two hours at the corner of Gough and Fulton streets, according to an eyewitness. The incident was only resolved when the robo-cars were manually moved out of the way by Cruise staff.

Sean Sinha, the bouncer at Smuggler’s Cove bar on Gough Street, told the Examiner that around 10 p.m. Tuesday, “Cruise cars started to flood down Gough and make a right on Fulton, only to stop. Pretty soon over twenty cars were stopped, blocking traffic on Gough.”

At one point, two of Gough’s three southbound lanes lanes were impassable due to the motionless cars, as photos shared by Sinha on Reddit show.

After about 20 minutes, the first of several Cruise employees arrived and began manually moving the cars. The ordeal wasn’t resolved until after midnight, Sinha said.

In the meantime, between the Cruise driverless cars and the double-parked cars of arriving Cruise staff, some travel lanes on Gough and Fulton remained impassable. The motionless cars inhibited regular street sweeping, Sinha said.

That same night, at about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, Twitter user @mannsiii wrote a now-deleted tweet saying that four Cruise driverless cars were idling near Fell and Masonic over multiple light cycles, blocking traffic and causing other cars to reverse off of the block in order to get around them.

In response to specific questions about both incidents, a Cruise spokesperson provided the following statement: "We had an issue earlier this week that caused some of our vehicles to cluster together. While it was resolved and no passengers were impacted, we apologize to anyone who was inconvenienced.”

PAK CHOOIE
WE ARE THE PUSHERBOTS
WE WILL PROTECT YOU FROM THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE
DO YOU HAVE STAIRS IN YOUR HOUSE?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Cruise driverless cars blocked traffic for hours Tuesday night

PAK CHOOIE
WE ARE THE PUSHERBOTS
WE WILL PROTECT YOU FROM THE TERRIBLE SECRET OF SPACE
DO YOU HAVE STAIRS IN YOUR HOUSE?

This seems like the kind of error that gets your lovely semi autonomous vehicles shoved off the road and/or set on fire eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I just randomly stumbled across this vacuum hose diagram for (dual-carb) 1984 Preludes. :psyduck:

Apologies if I trigger anyone's PTSD with that.