Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
At least on the Empire side, Hubert canonically can do a villain teleport, so he probably taught the rest of the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
shez can also, in fact, teleport. it is an actual gameplay mechanic

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Snake Maze posted:

Having a gameplay toggle for permadeath definitely feels like a weird fit for a musou. I guess it's ultimately not too different from normal (in Fire Emblem and in this game, permadeath basically just means that you fail if anyone dies, and in musous failing the mission if any of your player avatars die is also pretty normal). The only real outlier would be continuing on after one of your units dies, which, does it even get acknowledged outside of gameplay? I assumed they just do the normal Fire Emblem thing and "retreat" so they can still show up in dialogue scenes.

People dying in the story (because you didn't recruit them or because it's just how the plot goes) feels fine, although it does seem weird to combine that with giving every random grunt a voiceline about retreating.

I kind of mentally glossed over it until one of the paralogues where someone explicitly yells "REMEMBER, DON'T KILL ANYONE" and realized that the kill counter was explicitly a "K.O." counter

so the only people that canonically die ever are like, a handful of named npcs at plot-specific points where they forget to surrender or run away

lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A taste as bitter as the blackest coffee…

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
look, if everyone is killing hordes then that undercuts Dimitri's feral woman-murdering phase and we can't have that!!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Augus posted:

A taste as bitter as the blackest coffee…

more bitter than

They don't stop saying it. It's seared into my brain.

Hubert will massacre anybody with that defeat quote extra hard.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

Just like how three houses was written so that no matter what side you picked it was correct and objectively right, and everyone else was 100% wrong, in three hopes everyone but you knows how to teleport.

In an SB run, Hubert specifically mentions that the slitherers have a strange new form of teleportation magic that they cannot currently prevent.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Khizan posted:

In an SB run, Hubert specifically mentions that the slitherers have a strange new form of teleportation magic that they cannot currently prevent.

Clearly they are teaching it to all your enemies on every path, then.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/puppyShaker/status/1277973416163676160

https://twitter.com/puppyShaker/status/1277974485409259524

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

lmao I just got to part 2 in Azure Blaze and I gotta say I appreciate how the game just goes "hey you haven't fought the Deer at all, so here, you can just have all the recruitable Deer characters at once, free of charge. Except Lysithea; you don't get Lysithea on the route where you get Thunderbrand for free."

It's especially weird since at that point the Lions have identified Thales, so surely someone who was affected by him and the Slithers would want some answers like the rest of Lions want answers for Duscur

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I kind of mentally glossed over it until one of the paralogues where someone explicitly yells "REMEMBER, DON'T KILL ANYONE" and realized that the kill counter was explicitly a "K.O." counter

so the only people that canonically die ever are like, a handful of named npcs at plot-specific points where they forget to surrender or run away

lol

At the end of the war everyone lined up and hi-fives each other. "Good game good game good game..."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bruceski posted:

At the end of the war everyone lined up and hi-fives each other. "Good game good game good game..."

That’s actually not to inaccurate. Funnily enough the most inaccurate thing about these types of games is that people take things way, way to personally

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Just like how three houses was written so that no matter what side you picked it was correct and objectively right,

:confused:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It turns out wars in Fodlan are like the Condottiero mercenary wars in Italy's 15th century, where everyone was a professional so as a professional courtesy the actual fighting was relatively bloodless. Look, this is just our day job, don't get all bent out of shape for the sake of a bunch of feuding aristocratic children.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Well for all the story itself was about moral grays and no one being perfect, the ending slides always say “And then Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude made the utopia that achieved all the goals each Lord said only their particular ideology could accomplish.”

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

look, if everyone is killing hordes then that undercuts Dimitri's feral woman-murdering phase and we can't have that!!

Yet more proof that Robin is the best avatar.

Dude kills thousands of people in a single day, and all that happens is that people high-five him for being so good at strategy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

galagazombie posted:

Well for all the story itself was about moral grays and no one being perfect, the ending slides always say “And then Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude made the utopia that achieved all the goals each Lord said only their particular ideology could accomplish.”

Also everyone else always slides into megalomania and can only be stopped by being killed, except the people on your side because only this personalityless mannequin came somehow solve their problem.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also everyone else always slides into megalomania and can only be stopped by being killed,

Claude never does.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To fall into megalomania you would need to be relevant to the plot

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Also everyone else always slides into megalomania and can only be stopped by being killed.

I read that as "slides into Megalovania" and it's still true.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

To fall into megalomania you would need to be relevant to the plot

Probably why his smile never reached his eyes, he wasn't happy with his involvement in the story

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You are absolutely killing tons of people. Like characters talk about killing people. There's a scene why Byleth is fuckin' soaked in blood and trying to clean her outfit off. It's just a lot of named characters tend to escape.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of killing, SB chapter 11 spoilers: wow you just absolutely rip up Annette's family tree by the root, huh? Gilbert, Annette, and Baron Dominic all killed in the same chapter.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

Speaking of killing, SB chapter 11 spoilers: wow you just absolutely rip up Annette's family tree by the root, huh? Gilbert, Annette, and Baron Dominic all killed in the same chapter.

Annette can live if you get the secret passage tactic and ignore Gilbert to attack her first. You also steal Crusher this way. (No idea if the alternative route has you steal it)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eimi posted:

Annette can live if you get the secret passage tactic and ignore Gilbert to attack her first. You also steal Crusher this way. (No idea if the alternative route has you steal it)

You get Crusher regardless.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

McTimmy posted:

You get Crusher regardless.

Ah okay it was very weird that that's the only relic you steal. I beat up all the kingdom jocks, let me take their shiny weapons. :argh: Like why introduce that as a possibility only to never use it again?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eimi posted:

Ah okay it was very weird that that's the only relic you steal. I beat up all the kingdom jocks, let me take their shiny weapons. :argh: Like why introduce that as a possibility only to never use it again?

I'm actually curious, can you get relic dupes or is it one and done? I couldn't tell if Crusher is literally SB only, or if I would have gotten it in AG but didn't since I had it already

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
This conversation has made me curious is there anyone else you can avoid killing by defeating someone else or using specific battle strategies first like that? I've mostly just seen the recruit strategies stopping people from dying and assumed it was all like that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm reaching the end of my first run, I think, and I'm curious--is it safe to sell/trade any facility upgrade materials you no longer have any use for, or am I going to want to hang onto these for some reason? IE, if I've already got all silver upgrades for every facility, can I just trade all my basic building materials (or whatever tier that is) for smithing stones, or will I want them later for a reason I can't predict right now? I think someone mentioned your facility upgrades carry over to a NG+, so I can't think of any use for them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm actually curious, can you get relic dupes or is it one and done? I couldn't tell if Crusher is literally SB only, or if I would have gotten it in AG but didn't since I had it already

One and done. I got Crusher on AG but did not get it again in SB.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm reaching the end of my first run, I think, and I'm curious--is it safe to sell/trade any facility upgrade materials you no longer have any use for, or am I going to want to hang onto these for some reason? IE, if I've already got all silver upgrades for every facility, can I just trade all my basic building materials (or whatever tier that is) for smithing stones, or will I want them later for a reason I can't predict right now? I think someone mentioned your facility upgrades carry over to a NG+, so I can't think of any use for them.

I saved mine until I unlocked the best value-for-trade-in base upgrade, but otherwise it does seem safe to trade them in for stones. Maaaaaybe there’s a map explore point that wants mats, but I can’t remember it/haven’t seen it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I just started dumping mine asap (as soon as nothing else needed that material) and never had a problem with it, managed to fully upgrade the camp pre-NG+ too

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nice, that's what I suspected, just wanted to make sure; thanks both of you!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I would be surprised by a 'unified ending DLC' given the content of Azure Gleam vs. the content of Scarlet Blaze & Golden Wildfire.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
'Unified ending DLC' except it's a fourth alternate timeline, this time one where Shez and Byleth collectively get Rhea to spill the beans on TWSITD and subsequently convince Dimitri and Claude to believe Edelgard and work with her to reform Fodlan.

In true 3 houses fashion, you end up bonking a lot of bandits on the head and the final boss is Pallardo working with Duke Aegir and TWSITD are dealt with off-screen in the ending slides.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Deltasquid posted:

'Unified ending DLC' except it's a fourth alternate timeline, this time one where Shez and Byleth collectively get Rhea to spill the beans on TWSITD and subsequently convince Dimitri and Claude to believe Edelgard and work with her to reform Fodlan.

In true 3 houses fashion, you end up bonking a lot of bandits on the head and the final boss is Pallardo working with Duke Aegir and TWSITD are dealt with off-screen in the ending slides.

How much?

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Are there a lot of supports that you can miss the opportunity to get? I was surprised when I got Claude and Holst to C, because apparently I already "missed the chance to deepen their bond". It's a little disappointing since I'm guessing these two are exclusive to this route.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Deltasquid posted:

There's a slide with Dudue and Dimitri power bombing Thales from the top of the stepladder while Claude is distracting the referee and gently caress if I can think what Edelgard is doing. Holding Thales down while Hubert is on speakerphone detailing how he outmanoeuvred TWSITD?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Inu posted:

Are there a lot of supports that you can miss the opportunity to get? I was surprised when I got Claude and Holst to C, because apparently I already "missed the chance to deepen their bond". It's a little disappointing since I'm guessing these two are exclusive to this route.

I missed Ferdinand's supports with both Edelgard and Hubert, so I feel your pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Omobono posted:

There's a slide with Dudue and Dimitri power bombing Thales from the top of the stepladder while Claude is distracting the referee and gently caress if I can think what Edelgard is doing. Holding Thales down while Hubert is on speakerphone detailing how he outmanoeuvred TWSITD?

"As in all things, this is for Lady Edelgard" Hubert yells, as he throws a folding chair into the ring