Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Boris can easily ride this out if he wants, there literally isn't a mechanism to remove him without the MPs voting to change the rules (the Conservative Party does not want this) or a general election where many of them are slated to lose their seats.

The only way anything changes is if Boris himself suddenly finds a spine and quits, or (comedy option) spitefully calls a GE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Enter Nadine Dorries, minister of ministers, first of her name.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

Boris can easily ride this out if he wants, there literally isn't a mechanism to remove him without the MPs voting to change the rules (the Conservative Party does not want this) or a general election where many of them are slated to lose their seats.

The only way anything changes is if Boris himself suddenly finds a spine and quits, or (comedy option) spitefully calls a GE.

If they have to, the party will absolutely 100%, without question, change the rules. Minor procedural embarrassment to remove a leader that most want gone and is a clear electoral liability? Of course they'll do it.

Chinese Gordon fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 5, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

namesake posted:

Well you shouldn't expect anything good to come from the British state as it currently exists, this is good news because it's furthering the discrediting of the Tories as the natural party of government which doesn't look good for the Tories or the state in general.

There's gunna be hella strikes and hella unrest over the next 6 months at least so it's a good opportunity for people to be seeing alternative forms of politics and power and hopefully make the jump over, even if just to keep a roof over their head.

You're right, I'm being needlessly pessimistic

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

if there's an election starmer can be the british biden, except drunk instead of senile

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Chinese Gordon posted:

The party will absolutely 100%, without question, change the rules.

The party will probably put the pressure on Johnson, but I do not believe the Conservative Party wants to give the rank and file more power to remove a leader. It goes against everything they stand for.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EvilHawk posted:

One of his old friends could be paid into returning a favour regarding legs and breaking thereof.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

The party will probably put the pressure on Johnson, but I do not believe the Conservative Party wants to give the rank and file more power to remove a leader. It goes against everything they stand for.

tories absolutely love stabbing their leaders in the back though

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They're going to kill off announce the death of Liz as a distraction.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

They already de facto have that power.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

They’ll add some condition saying if like half the parliamentary party votes for no confidence that there’ll be a vote regardless of how long since the last one and they’ll get it this time, but still keep the option unrealistically out of reach under normal circumstances.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Jesus, I come in here looking for advice on how to wipe my arse and you're all banging on about politics.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Anna Soubry really going for gusto on Sky News, fully knives out

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

Jesus, I come in here looking for advice on how to wipe my arse and you're all banging on about politics.

A copy of The Sun is all you need for both

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Carrie going to get both jobs

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EvilHawk posted:

Boris can easily ride this out if he wants, there literally isn't a mechanism to remove him

A guillotine technically counts as a mechanism

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

EvilHawk posted:

They threatened May with exactly this though and she quit. They will 100% change the rules, Boris has a minority power structure now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/garius/status/1544407448328577024?t=t1jLMG9998IQz5hWTnNSKw&s=19

Lol

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's not really much of s Great Resignation when it's just two senior ministers and a bunch of nobodies, I have to say

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

With the Tories i find it hard to tell the difference between them and a small piece of sticky poo poo.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

SixFigureSandwich posted:

It's not really much of s Great Resignation when it's just two senior ministers and a bunch of nobodies, I have to say

Alright calm down Boris.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I love seeing dominoes fall

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Two flags, he's loving serious now.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1544401979895595008

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Chancellor will obviously come from the current cabinet. I’m calling Gove.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
If junior ministers are looking for jobs I hear Carrie’s offering them.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Two resignations from people who have a vested interest in Johnson leaving, no less.

Look, I'd love for the blubbering idiot to go, but I just don't see the Conservative Party voting to change the rules when there's not a clear person to step up to replace him. May was forced out because Boris was constantly there in the background saying he could do it better, with friends in the media promoting him. Sunak's the favourite but the knives have been out for him already, then it's Penny Mordaunt, Ben Wallace, Liz Truss, Jeremy Hunt and Sajid Javid. Not exactly a stand out person there.

More than happy to be proved wrong tomorrow of course.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/thejonnyreilly/status/1544410985007562759?s=21&t=whuVbITRwVebuNW9CQdzOQ

Lol. Lmao.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dorries and boris have to be shagging, right? I do not at all understand why she goes to bat for him, it makes very little professional sense as even if he survives this crisis it's hard to see what future there is for him generally.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Dorries and boris have to be shagging, right? I do not at all understand why she goes to bat for him, it makes very little professional sense as even if he survives this crisis it's hard to see what future there is for him generally.

The answer is that she's aggressively stupid.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

It's going to be like that scene at the end of The Birds where every subsequent time he appears there will be slightly more flags, until eventually the screen is filled with Kier Starmer as an anthropomorphic flag endlessly repeating the word "Britain"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What are all the jokes about people turning up at No. 10 with four lagers and a fishing rod about?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No poppy, CON +5

e: ^^^ They're not Raoul Moatly funny

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Dabir posted:

What are all the jokes about people turning up at No. 10 with four lagers and a fishing rod about?

That's what Gazza brought Raoul Moat

e: ok Guavanaut had a much better answer

Deketh fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 5, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dabir posted:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-gascoignes-bizarre-bid-save-22323591

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Dabir posted:

A bloke went on a rampage a few years ago and was cornered by the cops.

As the siege progressed Gazza turned up with some beers, food, and a fishing rod as he knew the bloke and thought he could defuse the situation.

It was all very weird.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I was just thinking how utterly insane the idea of Liz Truss as Chancellor is, then I remembered she's the bloody foreign secretary

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

She does have her own hat.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

notaspy posted:

A bloke went on a rampage a few years ago and was cornered by the cops.

As the siege progressed Gazza turned up with some beers, food, and a fishing rod as he knew the bloke and thought he could defuse the situation.

It was all very weird.

Apparently he didn't know him, just snorted enough coke that he thought he did:

quote:

Having heard about Moat's horrific rampage on the news, Gascoigne decided he would try to help the murderer.

Gazza was at his most vulnerable during his battle with addiction at the time and had been drinking and snorting lines of cocaine.

"You've got to realise I'm half cut anyway, sitting in the living room, I've got about six lines [of cocaine] lined up," explained the ex-Spurs midfielder during his ‘Evening with Paul Gascoigne’ talk in November 2015.

"I'm not realising much but a good line and me and Raoul Moat are sort of friends. A couple more lines and we are good buddies."

The recovering addict admitted that taking cocaine distorted his 'relationship' with Moat, who he had never met before.

"A few whiskies, another few lines, I've had about eight lines and we went to school together.

"He was in Rothbury, that's where I used to go fishing so I know the area quite well."

After taking 14 lines of cocaine, Gazza got so confused that he became convinced that Moat was his 'brother'.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

Probably, but also the second Boris is gone, so is she. Nobody else would give her a ministerial post so this is 50/50 self preservation/gently caress buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1544410190069604352