Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eric Cantonese posted:

When you love what you do, it's not work.

right, it's play, and plenty of old people never grew up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

If you like movies about Hollywood and movie making, and especially if you like the charm of old lovely movies, Ed Wood is great.

I think Big Fish was probably the last movie he actually had his heart in making. From there on out his videography goes full steam ahead into The Whirly Curly Bullshit for which he is now known.

i should watch ed wood, never seen it but seems cool. but ya its amazing how absolutely lovely corpse bride was, and hell, just about everything else include planet of the apes, willy wonka, alice, etc

also i should rewatch mars attacks, i remember not liking it very much when i saw it at the time.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I remember liking the animation in corpse bride but I remember nothing else about it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Xaris posted:

Also i should rewatch mars attacks, i remember not liking it very much when i saw it at the time.

Mars attack has a great look and some great scenes, but the movie as a whole is not good.

Too bad we did not get the Dinosaurs Attack! sequel.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

also i should rewatch mars attacks, i remember not liking it very much when i saw it at the time.

It was one of those movies that was on cable constantly when I was a kid. I've probably seen it 20 times without having seen it all the way through once lol

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

RandolphCarter posted:

I remember liking the animation in corpse bride but I remember nothing else about it.

my daughter loved Corpse Bride when she was 12 - I can see it being perfect for that age. IIRC it was Henry Selig more than Burton anyway.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
The Nightmare Before Christmas was the best thing Burton ever did and he didn't even make the dang movie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I remember getting real tired with either season 2 or 3 of Stranger Things because everyone was just always screaming and yelling at each other every single conversation it's like calm the gently caress down for two seconds

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I liked the first season of Stranger Things but haven't watched the others. It seems like Dark has it in the bag though. I'm halfway through the third season and it doesn't seem like anything has gone off the rails yet.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i lost interest after season two of stranger things because the climax was really clumsily railroaded compared to the first season and everything ive heard about the subsequent two just leads me to believe they fired whoever was in charge of pacing the script

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I remember getting real tired with either season 2 or 3 of Stranger Things because everyone was just always screaming and yelling at each other every single conversation it's like calm the gently caress down for two seconds

tfw u write modern media spectacle to be a big budget twitch stream for the twitch attention-span audience

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay, magic is real. Okay, other dimensions exist. Okay monsters are real, and they're killing people. I understand that it's a stressful situation. But all that hollering doesn't help anyone!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

willy wonka did the same thing actually the new ones supposed to be closer to the book and more about charlie but hes barely even in the movie at all and the other children are just more annoying they dont even really act like kids like they did in the original

it was more accurate it had the songs (even if, yes, only the Augustus Gloop one got the full lavish production it deserved and Burton was doing lovely brief pastiches by like the third one)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I liked the first season of Stranger Things but haven't watched the others. It seems like Dark has it in the bag though. I'm halfway through the third season and it doesn't seem like anything has gone off the rails yet.

Finish Dark so I have someone to bitch about the third season to.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

i lost interest after season two of stranger things because the climax was really clumsily railroaded compared to the first season and everything ive heard about the subsequent two just leads me to believe they fired whoever was in charge of pacing the script

I haven't seen any of 4 yet but I can confirm that of the first three 2 was by far the worst, no new ideas

Not even Sam Gamgee could save it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

I haven't seen any of 4 yet but I can confirm that of the first three 2 was by far the worst, no new ideas

3 was pretty good I thought. It aped even harder from Stephen King and added a lot of good cast members
4 makes it pretty clear how desperately they regret giving up the presence of Dacre Montgomery

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Mars Attacks is only good for the deaths/crazy surgeries they give to famous celebrities. The rest of the movie is forgettable besides the annoying song/note, and you could probably watch a 5-minute compilation clip on youtube to get everything good out of it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

im saint germain posted:

Mars Attacks is only good for the deaths/crazy surgeries they give to famous celebrities. The rest of the movie is forgettable besides the annoying song/note, and you could probably watch a 5-minute compilation clip on youtube to get everything good out of it.

I just read the wiki page, and I would have liked to have seen the version where the aliens are stop motion animated and the effects are janky as gently caress on purpose.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've always liked the story that Team America starting with an obviously terrible (in-universe) marionette show prompted an executive at a test screening to stand up and shout "My God, they hosed us!"

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Finish Dark so I have someone to bitch about the third season to.

Dark finale spoilers:

Just finished it. In the last episode I was sure that the ending was going to be very bleak in that Jonas and Martha, in traveling to the Origin World, would cause Tannhaus' family to crash and die. Basically capital D Determinism smacking everyone and reinforcing the interdependent, inescapable timeloops. Still need to get things straight in my head as-is but it seems like the show may have broken its own rules with the ending. I'm not totally sure though.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Dark finale spoilers:

Just finished it. In the last episode I was sure that the ending was going to be very bleak in that Jonas and Martha, in traveling to the Origin World, would cause Tannhaus' family to crash and die. Basically capital D Determinism smacking everyone and reinforcing the interdependent, inescapable timeloops. Still need to get things straight in my head as-is but it seems like the show may have broken its own rules with the ending. I'm not totally sure though.

I thought the EXACT same thing and it would have been a much more fitting ending imo.

I thought there some more interesting meta aspects to how it wrapped up though specifically how the deterministic nature of the loop reflected how each character was locked into a pre-written story arc, but also came to realize it over the course of their development. Of course the tragic hero and heroine were always bound to their fates by the nature of their own characters, and obviously you can’t shoot Adam because he has to live to advance the plot. Likewise The Son existed simply because he needed to to fulfill his role in the story for it to “work” and was essentially a nameless thing brought into being solely for that purpose. I thought it was sort of a cool take on “what if the characters in a story realize they’re trapped in a story” with the time travel aspect as a mechanism for making that possible without being too corny

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

loquacius posted:

the only good thing about season 2 was the Steve Harrington redemption arc

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/AstuteCFO/status/1544452810850603008?cxt=HHwWgMDUscHp_-4qAAAA

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Dark finale spoilers:

Yeah, the show has a really hard-core deterministic theme which I think the final season broke really hard. It violated a whole bunch of its own rules which imo is a cardinal sin for sci fi.

Also, there were entire scenes that were just exposition dumps where Adam or eve explain their entire plan and that really hurt the feeling of mystery the show evoked with its slow and painful plot reveals. The last season very much felt like a whole different crew of writers had gotten hold of the show and just vomited all the plot notes from the last season onto the screen so they could tell this weird tangential story about an alternate world instead of clearly wrapping up the many plot threads left over.

Even so, I think it's still a great show and wish more people would watch it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Wow I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once last night and that was a great loving movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yah a lot of silly fun

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/heatherchen_/status/1544580701378715648

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

man it's a hot one

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

another scorcher

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
patrolling the michigan basin almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

that’s just ad&d second edition. only the wizard gets to do real damage

mastershakeman posted:

im powering up in opposition to this uninformed nonsense

Yeah look at that loser who doesn't know about dart-specialized high-STR fighter supremacy.

Also, they're playing 1e, 2e didnt come out till '89. I didn't know that offhand and assumed they'd been playing 2e till I saw the 1e Monster Manual in the basketball/D&D mashup scene.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/THR/status/1544728958385754113

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mfw i forget the word 'queen'

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Uh Ya Know Whaddaya Call It The Thing Where A Lady Has A Crown There's A Word For It

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

mfw i forget the word 'queen'
it has historical precedent, king is not solely a male title

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Huh. Based on the historical basis for the movie, the Woman King sounds like it'll be a bit of a trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahomey_Amazons

quote:

In 1864, Captain Sir Richard F. Burton documented over two thousand masculine tribeswomen serving as warriors and reported how two-thirds of them were maidens with passions and love between each other. He also mentioned “a corps of prostitutes” kept for the Amazons’ use. Several years earlier, in 1850, English naval officer Frederick Forbes wrote down his own observations: “The Amazons are not supposed to marry, and, by their own statement, they have changed their sex. ‘We are men,’ they say, ‘not women.’ All dress alike, diet alike, and male and female emulate each other: what the males do, the Amazons will endeavour to surpass.” One Amazon chief asserted her gender transformation as follows: “As the blacksmith takes an iron bar and by fire changes its fashion, so we have changed our nature. We are no longer women, we are men.” The Amazon she-warriors assured victory to an entire line of Dahomey kings for nearly three centuries from the 1600s onward. At their peak in the early nineteenth century, Amazon women numbered as high as six thousand and comprised nearly a third of the Dahomey army.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that rules

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
slay woman king

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

Huh. Based on the historical basis for the movie, the Woman King sounds like it'll be a bit of a trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahomey_Amazons

seeing some contradictions between this and the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

seeing some contradictions between this and the title
yeah, this movie seems like transphobic cultural appropriation.