Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

PostNouveau posted:

2000s nostalgia will be a lot harder. Remember 9/11? The Bush election? The Iraq War? What's the idealized version of this time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkuu0Lwb5EM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

PostNouveau posted:

2000s nostalgia will be a lot harder. Remember 9/11? The Bush election? The Iraq War? What's the idealized version of this time?

Over the Hedge, Fergie songs, tracksuits with “Juicy” on the butt

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Cacator posted:

No, they weren't all happy days. Like the time Pinky Tuscadero crashed her motorcycle, or the night I lost all my money to those card sharks and my dad, Tom Bosley, had to get it back.
Talking about Tuscaderos, Leather > Pinky.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The 1960s were one of the most violent, divisive periods in American history. The 80s they were looked at with rose colored glasses. Just ignore the unpleasant stuff like Stranger Things does.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

Gen Z seems like it doesn’t have clear cultural paradigms. They grew up in a deluge of corporate nostalgia-bait slop mainly aimed at Gen X. Many just tuned out of pop-culture, or adopted some older fragments of it.

Like, my teenage niece and her friends have never seen Star Wars or a Marvel film, but are obsessed with the office. Otherwise they just watch YouTube and TikTok.

Once Disney and the rest of Hollywood ruthlessly strip-mines the 90’s and Millennial nostalgia for every last penny, I think they’re going to be in trouble, because they have no idea how to appeal to anyone younger anymore.

the old concept of cultural changeover with generations is basically gone. there is so much material freely available online that there's just no real need for bored kids to come up with their own culture, because the chances are it was already done 40 years ago or less and they can just look it up and identify with that, and then do a riff on that for their own creativity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ey, sit on it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hey Lou? It's your cousin Marvin, Marvin Bega. You know that new sound you're looking for?

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
For that early/mid-00's feeling I like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUw9Ej5VLnM

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Bracing myself for 'Well Jay... I loved it' Thor 4 review.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

khwarezm posted:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

khwarezm posted:

Somehow, Mike has dementia

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Marvel is back baby

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

PostNouveau posted:

iPods and the first smart phones.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
limp bizkit and korn

hey guys remember when we used to wear baggy t's and said 'break stuff' in our huge gas guzzling truck

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
A lot of 90's nostalgia seems to forget the whole Woodstock 99-era of 90s terribleness.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

LanceHunter posted:

Patreon Update!

Looks like we can see the triumphant return of Josh to the show whose format he fits best.

To catch a predator?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

jeeves posted:

A lot of 90's nostalgia seems to forget the whole Woodstock 99-era of 90s terribleness.

Probably about 8 years of it I reckon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mordja posted:

So long as it keeps him off BOTW.

He'll never recover from Shaq meat or Turtle Dreams, will he?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I mean, how many of us grew up awash in boomer nostalgia? I remember watching Nick at Nite and reading back issues of Mad Magazine as a kid; plus references in The Simpsons and MST3k; and reboots and movie adaptations like The Addams Family. One of Weird Al's earliest hits was about I Love Lucy.

One thing about Stranger Things that wouldn't surprise me as part of the appeal to zoomers: a look back at a time when American kids and teenagers could roam around unsupervised.

(Now, if I were to write something based on 90s nostalgia, it'd involve Image Comics and those Nintendo "Play It Loud!" ads, plus the OJ trial.)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

roomtone posted:

the old concept of cultural changeover with generations is basically gone. there is so much material freely available online that there's just no real need for bored kids to come up with their own culture, because the chances are it was already done 40 years ago or less and they can just look it up and identify with that, and then do a riff on that for their own creativity.

:emptyquote:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'm glad there are posters itt who can make points succintly in one paragraph so I don't have to waste my effort and everyone's time meandering for five paragraphs while struggling to calcify a single idea

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

kalel posted:

I'm glad there are posters itt who can make points succintly in one paragraph so I don't have to waste my effort and everyone's time meandering for five paragraphs while struggling to calcify a single idea

some guy named William Shakesman once said "Brevity is the soul of wit"

this means don't waste my loving time!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

It's all going to pretend everyone hated/protested the war and I'm going to be really mad about it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA281OuU3rk

summarized nicely tbh

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

roomtone posted:

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah when tuning the nostalgia mines for the early 2000’s you run into a wall of lovely global events that just kept coming amidst the backdrop of global warming.

Then there’s peak cable that rolled into the rise of streaming, which broke up pop culture into smaller and smaller niches with fewer and fewer big shared experiences. Mike talked about that in his ST09 review.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
HD 90s Nostalgia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The 90s were not in HD, I was there.

Everything was blurry as poo poo all the time.

Usu Kai Ken
Oct 2, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1172247645118783488?lang=en

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Funny how the medium of the time distorts our cultural memory of it

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

2000's nostalgia is gonna be "remember gasoline? remember when we didn't have to live underground like mole people? there used to be "hamburger stores" where you could go and eat patties of cow meat. Also there was an element called 'helium' that existed and it could make things float!"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol

Mr. Meagles posted:

2000's nostalgia is gonna be "remember gasoline? remember when we didn't have to live underground like mole people? there used to be "hamburger stores" where you could go and eat patties of cow meat. Also there was an element called 'helium' that existed and it could make things float!"

Ah ok, we're getting to the point of societal collapse where it's all just "the beforetimes"

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

they key to cracking late nineties early aughts nostalgia lies with the prequels. I know this in my bones.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i think of this video all the time and how cool it would be to go back to certain time periods and just film stuff. the russian film Hard to be A God gave me big "let's go back in time with a camera" vibes, it was really well done in that respect

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
hey fuckers

remember when STIFLER was cool

yeah 2000's man. amazing times. right at the peak of us assuming everything we did ruled with no consequences at all.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Goddamn Studio 60 was the most ridiculous piece of poo poo. Like, there was an episode where one of the cast members got pulled over in Pahrump, NV and John Goodman played a local judge who (naturally) was a hardcore conservative Christian and thus hated the show for not respecting the values of small towns like Pahrump. This, of course, ignores the fact that the actual Pahrump is the brothel capital of Nevada.

Aaron Sorkin might just be the dumbest man alive.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Usu Kai Ken posted:

He wasn’t even a real character in the first season right? And originally it was going to be an anthology

Should have been an anthology, huge mistake when rhey dropped that idea

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Improbable Lobster posted:

modern anthologies have been really sucking the moon from the sky lately so it's actually probably better they didn't

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

creatively maybe.
financially and in terms of building a show that will keep an audience subscribed, definitely not

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

LanceHunter posted:

Goddamn Studio 60 was the most ridiculous piece of poo poo. Like, there was an episode where one of the cast members got pulled over in Pahrump, NV and John Goodman played a local judge who (naturally) was a hardcore conservative Christian and thus hated the show for not respecting the values of small towns like Pahrump. This, of course, ignores the fact that the actual Pahrump is the brothel capital of Nevada.

Aaron Sorkin might just be the dumbest man alive.

I remember when it came out and everyone was like "oh man it is in competition with 30 rock because they're about the same thing!" but then 30 rock was actually funny and watchable unlike that garbage which lasted barely a full season.

Jon Irenicus posted:

modern anthologies have been really sucking the moon from the sky lately so it's actually probably better they didn't

I haven't even bothered watching the latest "Love Death and Robots" because they're usually so drat bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xbone
Nov 3, 2013

90s were wild man