Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Zerg Mans posted:

dental plan

liz needs braces

shut the gently caress up zegermans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zerg Mans posted:

dental plan

liz needs braces

You're a such a weird, lovely little man. Your brain is all twisted up and rotten

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
my state is like 25%, maybe slightly over, catholic and is now the abortion safe-haven of america.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Toph Bei Fong posted:

One funny thing about modern religion is that, hundreds of years ago, people would murder one another over their position on the council of trent or whether the communion wafer was consubstantiated or transubstantiated or whether God says you can go to a birthday party, but today Americans will be like "Yeah, I used to go to First Methodist, but then they got a new organist, so now I go to the First Presbyterian because their choir is better, except during Easter when St. Matthew's does their pageant which is just fantastic, and on Christmas when you've just got to go to First Baptist..."

variety in consumer choice is freedom.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Volts is a clean energy and politics newsletter/podcast, run by David Roberts formerly of Vox and other places. It's not about Catholicism and the political takes are hit and miss, so I don't know how it plays in this thread, but there's some pretty cool clean energy projects and ways of thinking about climate change solutions.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

dave roberts aka doctor vox was an early chapo nemesis

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Volts is a clean energy and politics newsletter/podcast, run by David Roberts formerly of Vox and other places. It's not about Catholicism and the political takes are hit and miss, so I don't know how it plays in this thread, but there's some pretty cool clean energy projects and ways of thinking about climate change solutions.

Sounds like masturbation cause there's no political will to do any of those

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:eyepop: Shut up and take my wallet! :shepspends:

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
[Podcasts] It's not about Catholicism ... so I don't know how it plays in this thread, but

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

[Podcasts] How do I explain to my wife that this isn't a Vatican II podcast anymore?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Volts is a clean energy and politics newsletter/podcast, run by David Roberts formerly of Vox and other places.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Can you imagine how powerful of a Twitter poster Martin Luther would be

I think if you brought him to the modern day, gave him a smartphone and said "this is a magic box that lets you tell at your enemies in public 24/7" he would immediately get it

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I don't know what historical figure would make the best podcaster though. Maybe like James Joyce or something

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

One funny thing about modern religion is that, hundreds of years ago, people would murder one another over their position on the council of trent or whether the communion wafer was consubstantiated or transubstantiated or whether God says you can go to a birthday party, but today Americans will be like "Yeah, I used to go to First Methodist, but then they got a new organist, so now I go to the First Presbyterian because their choir is better, except during Easter when St. Matthew's does their pageant which is just fantastic, and on Christmas when you've just got to go to First Baptist..."

Do people really do this? The only church goers I know are very religious and wouldn’t ever do this, and everyone else I know just never goes to or at least never talks about going to a church

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

MikeCrotch posted:

I don't know what historical figure would make the best podcaster though. Maybe like James Joyce or something

Sukarno, Lumumba and Pol Pot. Classic three hander.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Stav and Orson Welles movie reviews podcast

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

I think if you brought him to the modern day, gave him a smartphone and said "this is a magic box that lets you tell at your enemies in public 24/7" he would immediately get it

The reformation to peasants war arc was basically that thing podcasters and Internet personalities do where they build an audience and then piss that audience off by turning into a reactionary over some later occurring current event

Fidel would have made an awesome podcaster

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MikeCrotch posted:

he’d get banished to truth social for being too antisemitic but only after posting a Hunter Biden meme following thousands of antisemitic posts

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Cloks posted:

Is Pol Pot the "Stav" or the "Justin McElroy" of the group

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Stav and Orson Welles movie reviews podcast

stavvy just chortling every time orson uses the word "balls"

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

MikeCrotch posted:

A history podcast I've listened to talked a lot about how Martin Luther was generally a very loud, angry person who loved to drink and maybe gently caress. he'd be good!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tell martin the smartphone is from satan and watch him turn into the two button meme guy

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

Is Pol Pot the "Stav" or the "Justin McElroy" of the group

Lumumba: Adam
Sukarno: Stav
Pol Pot: Nick

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cloks posted:

pol pot can probably get robert evans on

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MikeCrotch posted:

Adolf Hitler (Nick), Churchill (Stav), and FDR (Adam).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

MikeCrotch posted:

Scheherazade and L. Ron Hubbard

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
you know that thing pro-lifers do when thye say "oh liberals just are pro-abortion and want women to actively have abortions, and are sad when they decide to have kids"

that's 95% false, the 5% are the people mad about liz bruenig

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Shipon posted:

you know that thing pro-lifers do when thye say "oh liberals just are pro-abortion and want women to actively have abortions, and are sad when they decide to have kids"

that's 95% false, the 5% are the people mad about liz bruenig

i don't want women to have abortions, I want sterilization to be a normal and even encouraged practice for people of all gonads

i am the 1%

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pretty good TrueAnon, though one thing I sort of disagree with (that I just mentioned in the Ukraine thread prompted by this episode) is the whole idea that Ukraine has expertly played the Western media. Their propaganda only worked because the Western media repeated/legitimized it and there was already a huge audience of American liberals ready and willing to believe literally anything bad about Russia/Putin.

Also lol at the part where Seth Harp was like "well they're not really neo-Nazis because they don't explicitly say they want to genocide all Jews." Reminds me of the good post someone (I think Nix Panicus) made in the Ukraine thread about most people being oblivious to the fact that Nazi Germany was characterized at least as much by the extermination of literally tens of millions of Slavs/Russians as it was the extermination of Jews or other groups.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Adolf Hitler (Nick), Churchill (Stav), and FDR (Adam).

Who are Stalin and Hirohito in this parallel?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

AnEdgelord posted:

Who are Stalin and Hirohito in this parallel?

dasha and his previous ex who cheated on him during dj lessons

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Zerg Mans posted:

dental plan

liz needs braces

lmao

some plague rats posted:

You're a such a weird, lovely little man. Your brain is all twisted up and rotten

elden ring trailer voice

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

y'all, When our Lord and Master Jesus Christ said, ``Repent'' (Mt 4:17), he willed the entire life of believers to be one of repentance. 🧵 1/95

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MikeCrotch posted:

imagine the Napoleon stans. Tesla but for European nationality.

edit: just perpetually cancelled by Josephine but they keep getting back together

curse: Napoleon and Josephine, the original Amber heard and Johnny depp

fr0id has issued a correction as of 06:08 on Jul 6, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Hitler becoming a YouTube blogger that gets cancelled, Diogenes becoming a poo poo poster

We have a moral duty to send the internet back in time to the first humans

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Toph Bei Fong posted:

i'd go to church if trent reznor was the organist

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Those same reasons are cited in letters from the past. People haven't changed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This is really mostly an American thing, the whole freedom of religion allure attracted a hodgepodge of weirdos who thought they could interpret the scripture however they wanted to and it gave birth to all the evangelical and other offshoot protestant poo poo you see today. If you visit some of the real holy sites you will still see old women weeping onto a rock bc some pope in the 1500s said it was basically the same as the one that Jesus was embalmed on or whatever.