Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s weird is Hawkeyes dialogue implies if the media found out about it it would be a scandal….which implies it would be seen as bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't Polaris also Pietro's sister ?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Isn't Polaris also Pietro's sister ?

So initially no relationship. (They were both mutants.)
Then Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are retconned into being Magneto's kids. They still aren't related at this point.
Then some time around the late 90's Polaris is revealed to be Magneto's daughter. They are now half-siblings.
Then just around Sixis happens and Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are retconned to no longer be Magnetos kids. So they are back to not being related.
Then this year the Trial of Magneto miniseries comes out which I think retcons it again so that Magneto is Scarlet Witches father. So I suppose they are back to being half-siblings again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

So initially no relationship. (They were both mutants.)
Then Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are retconned into being Magneto's kids. They still aren't related at this point.
Then some time around the late 90's Polaris is revealed to be Magneto's daughter. They are now half-siblings.
Then just around Sixis happens and Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are retconned to no longer be Magnetos kids. So they are back to not being related.
Then this year the Trial of Magneto miniseries comes out which I think retcons it again so that Magneto is Scarlet Witches father. So I suppose they are back to being half-siblings again.

Wait so Magneto is the Scarlet Witch's father but not Quicksilver's?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dawgstar posted:

It's probably needless to say that even when written by Millar, the Cap and Wasp relationship was weird. Since Millar decided to... ha ha... revisit the Ant-Man domestic abuse thing Wasp just kind of winds up with Cap and they have absolutely nothing in common and to quote Pearl Forrester of MST3K, "It goes nowhere and features nothing."

remember when hank uses his ant control powers to have his ants ~do nonspecific but extremely suggestive bad things~ to janet during a domestic spat because he was mad she zapped him

https://i.imgur.com/KW19kg6.png

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 5, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well it is unlikely but possible.

(Spoilers)

So basically in the Trial of Magneto, Scarlet Witch comes to Krakoa during the Hellfire Galla where humans are invited.
This is a big deal because the Scarlet Witch has been elevated to Mutant Judy's Iscariot for the whole "No More Mutants" thing.

During the story it was revealed that Professor X's resurrection machine has a copy of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver because for a time they were thought to be mutants. So the story starts off with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as "not mutants/not Magnetos kids. But so close that everyone believed it."

Scarlet Witch and Magneto hatch a very convoluted plot which is to fake Wandas death. Only Wanda concludes it would just be easier to for real kill herself and let her bring herself back to life with magic. Since she is that powerful.

A lot of stuff happens and Wanda meets other versions of herself and blah blah blah. But in the end Wanda and Magnetos plan comes together which is that Wanda uses her magic to create a special Mutant only Heaven. Where Mutant souls can go to when they die and wait to be resurrected. Oh and people who were supposed to be mutants before they got reality zapped and mutants who existed before the Resurection machine were even built got to go there too.

So it's a super Mutant only place. But Scarlet Witch can just go there, so now she is a Mutant? Maybe.

Oh and to cast the spell, Wanda needed the children of the founders of Krakoa to get together to be the focus of the magic. Proteus (Moria MacTargart.) Legion (Charles Xaiver.) and Polaris (Magneto.)

But it initially didn't work with Polaris so Wanda had to take her place. Which maybe means that Wanda is back to being Magnetos daughter again?

The point is Wanda seems to powerful now that she could have just rewritten reality so she is a Mutant (and Magnetos daughter) again. But also powerful enough that she could do that for her but not for Quicksilver and at the same time still have them as Twins.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Iirc, it's more Wanda considers Magneto her father because he played that role in her life for so long and don't worry about the genetics.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I cannot imagine being Polaris tbh

Anytime you feel down, remember that at least you're not Lorna

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

howe_sam posted:

Iirc, it's more Wanda considers Magneto her father because he played that role in her life for so long and don't worry about the genetics.

Yeah, Wanda had to do the spell and not Lorna because she had a stronger connection to Magneto.

She didn't even really get resurrected by the mutants, once there was a body waiting she took over and did it herself. She just needed a run through the whole process to be able to work on it, because magic I guess. She's so powerful that death isn't really an issue for her anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
God drat reality manipulators.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ImpAtom posted:

This is, technically, possible in human reproduction. There is also at least one other case of "one twin is a mutant and the other isn't," which is especially fair with fraternal twins.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gologle posted:

I cannot imagine being Polaris tbh

Anytime you feel down, remember that at least you're not Lorna

There's kind of a very telling scene in the last X-Factor series where Lorna straight up asks Magneto himself "What would you say my defining attribute is that doesn't relate to you" and Magneto's all "...uh."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

There's kind of a very telling scene in the last X-Factor series where Lorna straight up asks Magneto himself "What would you say my defining attribute is that doesn't relate to you" and Magneto's all "...uh."

Green hair, dated Havoc. C’mon Magneto it’s right there!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Question IRL posted:

Well it is unlikely but possible.

(Spoilers)

So basically in the Trial of Magneto, Scarlet Witch comes to Krakoa during the Hellfire Galla where humans are invited.
This is a big deal because the Scarlet Witch has been elevated to Mutant Judy's Iscariot for the whole "No More Mutants" thing.

During the story it was revealed that Professor X's resurrection machine has a copy of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver because for a time they were thought to be mutants. So the story starts off with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as "not mutants/not Magnetos kids. But so close that everyone believed it."

Scarlet Witch and Magneto hatch a very convoluted plot which is to fake Wandas death. Only Wanda concludes it would just be easier to for real kill herself and let her bring herself back to life with magic. Since she is that powerful.

A lot of stuff happens and Wanda meets other versions of herself and blah blah blah. But in the end Wanda and Magnetos plan comes together which is that Wanda uses her magic to create a special Mutant only Heaven. Where Mutant souls can go to when they die and wait to be resurrected. Oh and people who were supposed to be mutants before they got reality zapped and mutants who existed before the Resurection machine were even built got to go there too.

So it's a super Mutant only place. But Scarlet Witch can just go there, so now she is a Mutant? Maybe.

Oh and to cast the spell, Wanda needed the children of the founders of Krakoa to get together to be the focus of the magic. Proteus (Moria MacTargart.) Legion (Charles Xaiver.) and Polaris (Magneto.)

But it initially didn't work with Polaris so Wanda had to take her place. Which maybe means that Wanda is back to being Magnetos daughter again?

The point is Wanda seems to powerful now that she could have just rewritten reality so she is a Mutant (and Magnetos daughter) again. But also powerful enough that she could do that for her but not for Quicksilver and at the same time still have them as Twins.

Much like Maria Hill, I hate the X-Men. And Beast.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So here is the thing....

Wanda* is not supposed to be Magnetos biological daughter...but is supposed to be so closely connected to him that she can use that connection to build a secret mutant heaven.
She is not a mutant....except her powers let her fool the super mutant resurrection machine. And be brought back to life by it. And she gets to go to her secret mutant heaven she built. And she is allowed on Krakoa. Basically she has all these personal exemptions that functionally make her a mutant.

And her powers are so nebulous and wide ranging that they can be used to explain away any retcon a written wants.

At this point you have to wonder, what is the point to her not being Magnetos mutant daughter?
Is it to get her away from Magneto and the X-Verse? Well they went and pulled on that string a lot even after the Axis retcon.

Is it to preserve the sanctity of those post-Axis stories? Well hardly anything came out of them. (A bait and switch story implying the High Evolutionary was her dad which was immediately walked back. A terrible scene with Vision at the end of that story talking about how he knew who her real dad was but it was too shocking for anyone to know....which he then got blown up and mind wiped so even Vision probably doesn't know. And the retcon from Axis itself which is so awful, the panels should be posted in the funny panels thread for people to laugh at.)

Or do you keep it in for the behind the scenes reason behind the retcon, which was to decouple Wanda from the mutant side of Marvel and the legal mess there? Because while that was a concern back in 2013, in 2022 Disney own all the IPs.

The more you break it down, the more the question becomes "What is the point in keeping Wanda no longer as Magneto's mutant daughter?"

*= And for the purpose of this post it also sort of applies to Quicksilver.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

thetoughestbean posted:

Green hair, dated Havoc. C’mon Magneto it’s right there!

Maybe Magneto had green hair before it turned grey? And Summers Family Tree is complicated enough that he may well have dated Havoc too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sonic the Hedgehog #50 is a really good milestone issue of the comic, but I love this sequence in particular.

Some context: Dr Starline (the platypus guy, he can hypnotise people with his special glove) is an obsessed fanboy of Dr Eggman, he worked with Eggman briefly only to get disillusioned with how short sighted he is, no long term plans, just his current scheme and then trying something else when it fails. Then Eggman betrayed him.
Since then Starline has been working on a long drawn-out plan to beat Eggman at his own game and show him what actual planning can do, which involved taking over Eggy's main base. Now they're having a mech battle.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

The Question IRL posted:

Along with other joyous bits like a Tony Stark/Black Widow sex tape being released, that all the Ultimates watch in their meeting room (which now looks strangely like Avengers Manor instead of the Triskelon.) where Tony is like "I definitely banged Natasha. And I would have had sex with her like this. But I didn't record this tape. Or leak it."
(I think the resolution was Mystique was in the tape. But it's not like that resolves the mystery. Did Tony not realize he was loving a woman who now looks like is dead-ex? Maybe Mastermind or Mesmero were also involved.)

Maybe Mystique was impersonating Tony?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Question IRL posted:

So here is the thing....

Wanda* is not supposed to be Magnetos biological daughter...but is supposed to be so closely connected to him that she can use that connection to build a secret mutant heaven.
She is not a mutant....except her powers let her fool the super mutant resurrection machine. And be brought back to life by it. And she gets to go to her secret mutant heaven she built. And she is allowed on Krakoa. Basically she has all these personal exemptions that functionally make her a mutant.

The mutant resurrection machine isn't really a mutant-only machine, it would work for anyone with a cerebro backup.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

wiegieman posted:

The mutant resurrection machine isn't really a mutant-only machine, it would work for anyone with a cerebro backup.

I don't know if they ever said that. Because if it was the case that Mutants literally had a machine that could bring back your dead child but won't because "No Flatscans, PAL." then that right there is justification for every grieving person to join up to whatever group wants to build an army of Sentinals.

I had to assume that since it involves Cerebro, the mutant detecting machine that it only worked on mutants.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

I don't know if they ever said that. Because if it was the case that Mutants literally had a machine that could bring back your dead child but won't because "No Flatscans, PAL." then that right there is justification for every grieving person to join up to whatever group wants to build an army of Sentinals.

I had to assume that since it involves Cerebro, the mutant detecting machine that it only worked on mutants.

It works on anyone but Cerebro only keeps records of mutants. Presumably Wanda or Franklin are in there because they were mistaken.

Man the Franklin thing still pisses me off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

It works on anyone but Cerebro only keeps records of mutants. Presumably Wanda or Franklin are in there because they were mistaken.

Wanda was on there, but it was an old copy from before it was revealed she wasn't a mutant, I presume the same for Franklin and Pietro.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Don't you also need a DNA sample (courtesy of Mister Sinister) to grow into the clone?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Party Boat posted:

Don't you also need a DNA sample (courtesy of Mister Sinister) to grow into the clone?
I believe the process involves a number of steps prominently including a reality-warper who presumably smooths over all the other problems in the process. I assume a lot of the role of the other four people is to make it so the reality warper is just doing a little pinch of reality warping ("this sleeping clone has all of the memories and genetic equivalencies of the original person etc.") instead of a big ol' double scoop act of force majeure.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Party Boat posted:

i mean it isn't exactly hard to get dna from a body, but also apparently telepaths can magically get your dna sequence

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I mean, when they were setting this up, there would have been no reason for Sinister to not grab samples from Wanda, Franklin and Pietro.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that two of those three characters have powerful reality altering abilities so powerful that they can go "I'm a mutant. Always was, always will be." one day and decide the reverse the next and both statements be true I think has to play into it. (And Quicksilver being so close to Wanda means he could be covered by the same exception.)

And in my head that's why they have backups of those three, is that the process must only work on mutants (even ones who can rewrite the rule book so they can be mutants when they want and not mutants when they don't want.) Just like how Krakoa knows to only let mutants in.

If this system of resurection was designed in such a way that it could work on everybody but a decision was made to only let it work for the 1%?

That right there is justification for having a world that hates and fears them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How to grow a mutant. Krakoa style.

Egg (formerly Goldballs): Creates the egg.
Proteus: Warps reality to make it viable to grow a body in.

DNA is inserted.

Tempus and Elixir use their powers to make it grow, and reach whatever age the body is meant to.

Cerebro inserts brain data.

During the process, Hope is synching and boosting everyone’s abilities.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
seems like you would want to figure out which are the really good mutants to have around and make a lot of them

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just reality warp the whole thing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spider man: Listen, my DNA was literally mutated by....

<Magneto ostentatiously controls a big stamp to put a comically large REJECTED on his application.>

C'MON MAN, I TAUGHT AT YOUR SCHOOL.

Cut to a bar where he's commiserating with Daredevil and Luke Cage

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Magneto is a good judge for that as his powers already work by just convincing himself that it does

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are Cloak and Dagger allowed to be resurrected?

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Flesh Forge posted:

seems like you would want to figure out which are the really good mutants to have around and make a lot of them

Mister Sinister is sorta doing that, but with powers instead of whole mutants; he made a gun that uses cyclops' eyeballs as ammunition.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Just cloning multiple Jamie Madroxes for shits and giggles.

Also to annoy Quicksilver.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Elissimpark posted:

Just cloning multiple Jamie Madroxes for shits and giggles.

Also to annoy Quicksilver.

I wonder if they'd be able to absorb each other's dupes.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ManiacClown posted:

I wonder if they'd be able to absorb each other's dupes.

Dozens of Madroxes just slamming into each other at random. “Dammit! Anyone here also cloned at 2:35 pm on January 19th?”

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Disproportionation posted:

Mister Sinister is sorta doing that, but with powers instead of whole mutants; he made a gun that uses cyclops' eyeballs as ammunition.

This is amazing.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Disproportionation posted:

Sinister was doing semi-exactly that (because Sinister gonna Sinister, and fiddling with mutant DNA is like breathing to him/her/<insert unique identifier here>), back when there was a giant Victorian Sinister Funland under Frisco. I remember there being entire pens of knockoff Cyclopsii and Gambits.

Now I'm kind of wondering if all the Summers/Grey Nth-dimensional spaghetti-code genetics is just Sinister loving with all the other Sinisters, and it's all an elaborate game of one-upsmanship played against him/her/<insert unique identifier here>-selves with no actual endgame beyond "LOL get gud"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The retro X-Men comic recently had an issue like that, he was loving with a simulated version of himself.