Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Plorkyeran posted:

A nontrivial portion of my "teaching junior coworkers things" time is spent on things which I learned in my CS program.

This is just an argument for not getting a degree since you paid to learn that stuff and they got paid to learn it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Yes, that's what I said?

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

This conversation needs to be had more frequently and in more places. It is becoming increasingly clear that college education (in this field) is almost entirely arbitrary unless you are in a place where education is valuable like Europe. If college here was dirt cheap then sure, but it isn't and its value is less than dirt cheap if anything setting a student back unironically.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
As primarily a web dev I've never had to worry about math beyond basic algebra, but if you're dealing with things like HTML canvas rendering you'll probably need to brush up on your trig/geometry. That being said, I work with a bunch of firmware/DSP folks, and you'll definitely be needing strong math skills for some of that.

I went through all of Harvard's free CS50 course online when I first started and I found that to be super helpful, and gave me enough of an overview of various topics that I feel like I have lots of gaps patched up that someone without a degree could have, and where those gaps still remain, I know where to go to address them. So if you're going the non-degree route, you can still get the learning you need if you go out of your way to look for it. You can cobble a CS degree from online courses pretty easily these days, and there are a few resources like Open Source Society that list out a curriculum of essential courses. Of course this is all dependent on actually having the time to go through it all :shrug:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I wrote code that makes little bits of data over here go over there

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I have a degree, and I love the science part of computer science, but professionally I don’t think it’s an optimal path to a career. 2-4 years of a job while working through 5-10 good computer books will get you to the same place

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Smugworth posted:

same, and i also know i'm definitely too dumb to do anything more complex

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Plorkyeran posted:

Yes, that's what I said?

Oh yeah I totally misread your post, whoops

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I secured my first big boy job and they gave me $1k to set up my home office. Some things are obvious that I need, desk, chair, but wondering what are some other good things I should get to be prepared? So far I've gotten:

Webcam
Speakers
Backdrop for office
Lighting
Mouse
Keyboard

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

worms butthole guy posted:

I secured my first big boy job and they gave me $1k to set up my home office. Some things are obvious that I need, desk, chair, but wondering what are some other good things I should get to be prepared? So far I've gotten:

Webcam
Speakers
Backdrop for office
Lighting
Mouse
Keyboard

Ikea sit stand desk. By far best value for money I'm aware of.

I recently procured an espresso machine with my COVID budget, and will never not have one again. Probably not the highest priority on your list.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Stuff like that is perfect tbh. I've been self employed since COVID so I have a lot of stuff already so cool stuff like that is perfect.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Seconding the IKEA sit stand desk. I’ve had mine for 5 years now and love it. Don’t skimp on anything that helps your ergonomic set up.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The catch is its a $1k amazon gift card :qq:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
$1k might cover just a desk and a good chair. Chairs are pricey.

But if you want to get boujee, a Blue Yeti Microphone is nice.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

worms butthole guy posted:

Webcam
Speakers
Backdrop for office
Lighting
Mouse
Keyboard

N-thing some form of convertible standing desk. I got something similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/VARIDESK-Adjustable-Standing-Converter-Monitors/dp/B00JI6NCCK but it'd be a big part of your budget.
A mat to protect floor from chair
If using a laptop, a ventilated laptop stand
For multiple monitors, consider a Dock compatible with your laptop. These are also expensive, so your employer might provide this, and if you won't be using the area for anything else such as another computer, you might be able to skip this.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah my wife has a L shaped desk so I might just steal that for the time being. I have a computer chair already I can use but I do kinda want a new one also, granted I don't think i'd be able to get a good one

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some form of sit stand desk, this is a habit you want to start immediately, 35 year old you and your waist line will thank you later

The web cam on your laptop is probably sufficient but I guess you already bought one

27" 1080p or 4k IPS monitor

Some sort of dock with USB-C PD so you only have to plug a single cable in, keep the rats nest of wires on the floor and out of sight

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Smugworth posted:

Started working for video game industry thinking it would be different. It wasn't different.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

tays revenge posted:

Started working for video game industry thinking it would be different. It wasn't different.

I don’t know anything about the video game industry, but I’ve always assumed it’s just more math and less money.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

lifg posted:

I don’t know anything about the video game industry, but I’ve always assumed it’s just more math and less money.

Sometimes it's the exact same poo poo for less money.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

lifg posted:

Less math, more money, same moving data from here to there in different ways.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Got the offer, nearly doubles my current compensation, pretty sweet

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Worldshatter posted:

Got the offer, nearly doubles my current compensation, pretty sweet

What were you making before?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Half as much

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The math checks out.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

bigperm posted:

I finally got an interview with a company that builds software for a industry I have practical experience working in. I went through an HR screener interview, a tech interview with the lead engineer, a tech interview with a senior developer, and and interview with the CEO. The CEO told me that the lead engineer's notes for my interview was the single sentence "We want this guy."

The following week I got an email that said it was a verbal offer with a potential start date the second half of July and that early next week I would get details about comp and the actual start date.

That week was this week and I've heard nothing at all. An email to HR asking for an update has been unanswered.

Is this normal? Am I being ghosted? Just being impatient?

I'm self-taught and have no software developing job experience on my resume and it's tough to even get a bite, but this went really well and now I'm wondering if it's back to the drawing board.

Finally heard back from this place. They don't have to money to hire me apparently so :smith:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Starting at a place I know I'm not going to stay at long term (short of some incredible valuation spike) due to a variety of factors - lower salary, not excited about company mission, etc. I'm taking it because I REALLY need to work and make money (haven't worked in 2+ years) despite knowing I could probably find something better in the current market, but searching with my experience gap has been loving exhausting.

That said, I'm curious what should I be focusing on/thinking about given my outlook on this job just being a stepping stone? Prioritize good resume bulletpoints? Keep networking (or tips on how to do that effectively)? Continue leetcode problems?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Thirst Mutilator posted:

That said, I'm curious what should I be focusing on/thinking about given my outlook on this job just being a stepping stone? Prioritize good resume bulletpoints? Keep networking (or tips on how to do that effectively)? Continue leetcode problems?

Where were you having problems before? Getting any response at all? Then resume bullets and networking, give a conference/meetup talk if that is a thing you wouldn't hate. Initial screens would be more complicated since there isn't a singular thing involved but I've always thrown out the most candidates there for communication failures. On siteish again is complicated and I'm generally throwing out candidates there for architecture and communication. If you've gotten consistent feedback work on that area. Leetcode probably isn't the best immediate investment since that always feels more like cramming than actual learning.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Starting at a place I know I'm not going to stay at long term (short of some incredible valuation spike) due to a variety of factors - lower salary, not excited about company mission, etc. I'm taking it because I REALLY need to work and make money (haven't worked in 2+ years) despite knowing I could probably find something better in the current market, but searching with my experience gap has been loving exhausting.

You should prioritize finding a better job and continue to look while bringing in a paycheck.

You can shorten gaps by just putting the year only on your resume.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

bigperm posted:

Finally heard back from this place. They don't have to money to hire me apparently so :smith:

Sounds like a poo poo show if they let the hiring process get that far before realizing "oh right we have to pay people"

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Sign posted:

Where were you having problems before? Getting any response at all? Then resume bullets and networking, give a conference/meetup talk if that is a thing you wouldn't hate. Initial screens would be more complicated since there isn't a singular thing involved but I've always thrown out the most candidates there for communication failures. On siteish again is complicated and I'm generally throwing out candidates there for architecture and communication. If you've gotten consistent feedback work on that area. Leetcode probably isn't the best immediate investment since that always feels more like cramming than actual learning.

At every point in the process. I had 10 leads, and never got solid feedback despite asking most times:

- 2: bounced after recruiter phone screen (guessing this was due to my 2+ work gap)
- 4: bounced after technical screen (2 for flubbing the prompt, 2 I felt I did decent but not good enough I suppose)
- 3: bounced after on-sites (don't feel like I did very solidly technically, but I have no baseline to compare to on these)

I think my technical skills could use some improvement - both conveying technical details concisely and clearly and performing non-leetcode problems (eg. whiteboard style system design and implementing simple APIs/libraries) but I feel (and have validated with friends/former coworkers) my interpersonal communication skills are decent to good. I think I'm going to start budgeting some hours during the week for personal technical writing and tiny, independent projects to address the technical shortcomings but I'll try any suggestion to see if it works for me. One I got earlier was to record responses to practice problems and that's helped a decent amount.

asur posted:

You should prioritize finding a better job and continue to look while bringing in a paycheck.

You can shorten gaps by just putting the year only on your resume.

I'm planning on searching in 6 months/end of Q1 next year, when I've banked some cash and I'd have spent some time addressing my shortcomings during this round of job search. I'm hesitant to split effort between searching and working when I have clear shortcomings, I'm not sure how intense the work will be (I start Monday), and I'm SO sick of searching right now so I definitely don't want to continue for the near future. I know the job market might look VERY different in as little as 3 months time but at least my time/anxiety won't be spent trying to stretch my current net-negative budget.

Who knows though, maybe this place will be loving terrible and I won't have a choice to but continue to look.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

tays revenge posted:

You don't need a degree, major corporations are so desperate they hired two new juniors after a half assed two week boot camp. There, saved you thousands of dollarydoos and debt. This isn't to anyone in particular.

How do I find these jobs? What am I missing? I don't mean to imply they're not like right there, just I have no idea what I'm doing in tech anymore.

I graduated humanities in 2012, worked help desk at two different places, got a dev ops internship with a startup that cratered, did some qa that was more on the tap test side, and then tried to get into the weed industry so that's all over my resume for the last couple years. This, it turned out, was kinda dumb so I got a CS post-bacc that thankfully I didn't take on debt for, but that meant it took like 4 years and I missed the job hunt timing (by being a dumbass, in retrospect) and graduated in May 2020, and quite honestly it was easier to stay in cultivation than figure out what was going on w/ entering a new job market that year.

Over the past couple years I've been tepidly talking to recruiters looking for some web stuff and trying to figure out a portfolio or something I guess but honestly I'd rather get paid than try to come up with busy work I do for free in my down time so if there's a better way that would be rad. Everything cannabis is on Indeed or Craigslist but I get the sense that's not the case w/ coding? I don't even have a linkedin. I hear Google ads for certs I know I could pass easily but I can't tell if they're scams or not or even what to do with them if they're legit.

Like, I can code, I want to make money doing it, how do I connect myself to the other side of that equation?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

JamesKPolk posted:

How do I find these jobs? What am I missing? I don't even have a linkedin.

Found your problem

Pro tip, when you create your profile backdate the tech experience as far as you can comfortably lie so you can show 3+ years of tech industry experience, there are a lot more jobs available if you can say you have 3+ years experience

It's a new profile and it's the industry standard so whatever you write down initially, becomes the letter of record of your professional career. Round up not down on experience and titles but don't list yourself as software architect or principal or something completely unbelievable. Try and show progression

Don't call your qa experience QA, call it a build and release engineer or something, QA is a stink that is hard to wash off

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Crap I have to seriously use Linkdin too? Cursed

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not if you don't want a job in TYOOL 2022

Edit: you don't need to use it, just setup a profile that says your know python and SQL and docker/kubernetes, and check the box saying you're open to new opportunities, then login once a week to review the 10-30 offers a week that roll in

Also cross link your GitHub, stack overflow accounts with LinkedIn if possible for maximum exposure, lie and say you live/work in a better nearby major city. Nobody wants to hire the PhD in comp sci that lives in Toledo Ohio, but they'll knock down your door if you say you're from Chicago

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 8, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Found your problem

Pro tip, when you create your profile backdate the tech experience as far as you can comfortably lie so you can show 3+ years of tech industry experience, there are a lot more jobs available if you can say you have 3+ years experience

It's a new profile and it's the industry standard so whatever you write down initially, becomes the letter of record of your professional career. Round up not down on experience and titles but don't list yourself as software architect or principal or something completely unbelievable. Try and show progression

Don't call your qa experience QA, call it a build and release engineer or something, QA is a stink that is hard to wash off

Oh god is it really that easy? Well, no time like the present I guess. I think I actually do have 3 years without even rounding particularly hard. A couple of those are pretty blank check in various ways too.

Do I list the weed stuff? Is that better or worse than a multi year gap that I could say I was freelancing in? One farm ran a better Agile / TDD pipeline than the places that have asked me about Agile during onboarding but it feels like a trap bringing that up in a "serious" interview.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Crap I have to seriously use Linkdin too? Cursed

At one point I had them sending letters to my house addressed to my hiring manager. Oh how the worm has turned.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you spent a lot of time in the weed industry I think that's just part of your life now. I don't think any place you're gonna want to work will give two shits about working in the weed industry

You could do what my old coworker did and just say you were working on a video game solo and it didn't pan out but lying about your past (rather than deeply embellishing) gets problematic as facts don't line up

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Not sure where you're trying to find a job but weed is such a huge industry that there are plenty of weed businesses that need developers. I did an interview with Seth Rogen's weed company when I was applying for new roles.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah like, if that's your jam, more power to you, no need to branch out further, especially if that gives you a leg up on culture fit etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I was kinda sorta actively looking for those kinds of jobs in 2018-19 and it didn't seem like Oregon was there... yet. But I'm in Portland and it's gonna happen here first, and actually I talked to a recruiter about something like that in Grand Rapids a year-ish ago (I don't think I faked the "I'd totally move!" hard enough for a recommendation).

Hadlock posted:

If you spent a lot of time in the weed industry I think that's just part of your life now. I don't think any place you're gonna want to work will give two shits about working in the weed industry

You could do what my old coworker did and just say you were working on a video game solo and it didn't pan out but lying about your past (rather than deeply embellishing) gets problematic as facts don't line up

I hear ya, I guess I'm more concerned how it looks wrt forward progress than culture fit type stuff? Like I can call it production tech or cultivation tech or whatever but at the end of the day its still 'left the computer-toucher jobs for the plant-toucher jobs'

Though landing one where that was actually an asset would be sick as hell