Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have a sonata hybrid and the interior's fine. Pretty much an "affordable" faux-luxury car. Infotainment runs Carplay/Android Auto so that's been a big plus.

It's fun shifting between eco/normal/TURBOOOOO drives though all these Hyundai dealerships seem to suck rear end for official work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Get your wife a Mitsubishi mirage. It's a rebadged mitsu colt from 2002 somehow still in production. They wouldn't keep making it, if it weren't super reliable, right. At least you won't have terrible trouble finding parts for it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The good news is that there really aren’t any truly bad cars being built, except Mitsubishis, so just let your wife buy whatever the gently caress she wants within budget.

Is Chrysler suddenly good?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

Get your wife a Mitsubishi mirage. It's a rebadged mitsu colt from 2002 somehow still in production. They wouldn't keep making it, if it weren't super reliable, right. At least you won't have terrible trouble finding parts for it

Good if you don't wanna go through the hassle of divorce.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Chrysler doesn't make a bad car, do they? They have the Pacifica, which is a fine minivan that is competitive and not much less reliable than the rest of the field, and the Pacifica Hybrid, which is a decent PHEV.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Perhaps not "good," but mid-pack mediocre anyway. They're not much of an exception these days.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Chrysler doesn't make a bad car, do they? They have the Pacifica, which is a fine minivan that is competitive and not much less reliable than the rest of the field, and the Pacifica Hybrid, which is a decent PHEV.

Is this one of those trick questions where we say their cars are bad but then it turns out nothing they still make is legally a car?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

I mean I probably wouldn’t buy a Cherokee for myself but I know three people who own them and they’ve been perfectly reliable. Anecdotes aren’t data but I guarantee if I knew three people who owned PT cruisers they would have had at least two catastrophic failures.

The Pacifica is pretty good, and so is the 300. We’re post bad car now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If someone said I had to drive a Stellantis joint I probably wouldn't openly weep after deciding on a Pacifica or a Charger. I'd be more enthusiastic than a Mitsubishi or Nissan at any rate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Neon, PR Cruiser, Town & Country, 300M were all red hot sellers. Seems like every 5 years they trot out some crazy popular car, sells like hotcakes, saves the company then they fade back into relative obscurity. I don't think they sold a whole lot of the crossfire but I don't seem to recall anyone complaining about that one either

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hadlock posted:

Neon, PR Cruiser, Town & Country, 300M were all red hot sellers. Seems like every 5 years they trot out some crazy popular car, sells like hotcakes, saves the company then they fade back into relative obscurity. I don't think they sold a whole lot of the crossfire but I don't seem to recall anyone complaining about that one either

K cars and minivans before the neon; 300C after the 300m. Viper in there as a halo. They never had the volume to compete with gm/ford (and honda/toyota) so they really got by on engineering and design; sometimes they cut too many corners.

The crossfire was a sell the old slk benz tooling to the Americans for the balance sheet games, so a fairly mature platform.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

To me the biggest issue with Hyundai and Kia is the dealership experience. The cars are pretty good, but so many dealers are just poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I mean I probably wouldn’t buy a Cherokee for myself but I know three people who own them and they’ve been perfectly reliable. Anecdotes aren’t data but I guarantee if I knew three people who owned PT cruisers they would have had at least two catastrophic failures.

The Pacifica is pretty good, and so is the 300. We’re post bad car now.

Yeah I've kinda figured on various occasions "how bad can they really be"? But you hear so many stories, and like you said anecdotes aren't data, but when a company gets a reputation, good or bad, it takes a long time to change it.

Like people still thinking Hyundai still makes crap.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

skipdogg posted:

To me the biggest issue with Hyundai and Kia is the dealership experience. The cars are pretty good, but so many dealers are just poo poo.

I've seen this mentioned a few times now. What is it about them that makes them worse than others?

I test drove a Veloster about ten years ago and I can't recall anything particularly distasteful about the experience.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

AvesPKS posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times now. What is it about them that makes them worse than others?

I test drove a Veloster about ten years ago and I can't recall anything particularly distasteful about the experience.
Because Kia and Hyundai were considered lower tier cars for a very long time, they've attracted a certain type of scumbag dealer, you know the type. Cars have improved and gone upmarket, but those dealers are still garbage. But it's not hard to find a quality dealership in the age of the internet.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What happened to Mitsubishi?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Too small to keep up with capital investment required, hosed by being third wheel of nissan/renault partnership, hangover from Japanese corporate structural issues, recall coverups, etc.

Their cars aren’t any worse than they were twenty years ago but everyone else has gotten better, and they were worse than they seemed at the time.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Nitrox posted:

Because Kia and Hyundai were considered lower tier cars for a very long time, they've attracted a certain type of scumbag dealer, you know the type. Cars have improved and gone upmarket, but those dealers are still garbage. But it's not hard to find a quality dealership in the age of the internet.

That makes sense.

I guess the biggest part is I've kept my face to face time to a minimum with dealerships anyway. When test driving you can't help but talk to them in person. But after that I didn't step foot into a dealership to purchase until I had my own financing secured, and we'd already agreed on a price for a specific car.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This seems relevant to Hyundai/Kia chat: https://www.thedrive.com/guides-and-gear/if-you-own-a-2011-2019-hyundai-or-kia-you-might-be-eligible-for-a-free-engine

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quick question, is $60 a reasonable price for an oil change on my prius?

this is my first hybrid and all my previous oil changes were around $30-$40.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mr Interweb posted:

quick question, is $60 a reasonable price for an oil change on my prius?

this is my first hybrid and all my previous oil changes were around $30-$40.

It's not outrageous. Depends on where you go. My dealer is 65 bucks for an oil change/tire rotation. Jiffy Lube charges 90 for an oil change in my area. Walmart will do it for 40.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A few things are going to impact oil change prices:

- Oil is expensive now, so prices went up across the board
- Conventional vs synthetic vs blended is going to be the biggest factor. Synthetic is the most expensive (and is often required on turbocharged engines now, even on not-fast cars), but lasts the longest. Used to be that you needed an oil change every 3k miles. Now most cars are every 10k or 1 year on synthetic.
- Some places just charge more because they make their money doing oil changes for people who want to show up without an appointment and not shop around.

In general, 60 bucks is reasonable for a synthetic or synthetic blend, which I'm assuming the Prius takes. Look in your user manual. If it makes you feel better, I just got oil changes done on two of my cars and one was $120 and the other was $400.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Change the Prius with correct spec oil, its slightly picky about it.

$60 seems reasonableish for this era. I pay about that for a full synthetic change in the Golf at the dealership, and about twice that for the E39.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah i've been calling everywhere around a 15 block radius and $60 is the cheapest, so i guess that'll do!

KillHour posted:

In general, 60 bucks is reasonable for a synthetic or synthetic blend, which I'm assuming the Prius takes. Look in your user manual. If it makes you feel better, I just got oil changes done on two of my cars and one was $120 and the other was $400.

drat...why so much for the latter?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah i've been calling everywhere around a 15 block radius and $60 is the cheapest, so i guess that'll do!

drat...why so much for the latter?

Probably something high end-ish and German.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Probably something high end-ish and German.

i think it's technically british but it has a duratec 30 so it should get :911: prices

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think it's technically british but it has a duratec 30 so it should get :911: prices

:hmmyes:

V12 Aston

Edit: This is still the coolest version of that engine though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossion_Q1

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 7, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My 2-year service is coming up later this year. Apparently 800 CHF ($815) for a brake fluid change and pollen filter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why are you changing your brake fluid after two years?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

Why are you changing your brake fluid after two years?

Most brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water over time, decreasing performance.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That is true but two years is not enough time to matter for anything you aren't taking to a track and I can't think of any manufacturer that would require it that soon. Something like Ferrari maybe?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

That is true but two years is not enough time to matter for anything you aren't taking to a track and I can't think of any manufacturer that would require it that soon. Something like Ferrari maybe?

welcome 2 the porsche experience

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

welcome 2 the porsche experience

Oh that explains it. At least do the air cabin filter yourself - that takes 5 minutes to do in a parts store parking lot with no tools.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kind of detracts from the porsche experience

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Oh that explains it. At least do the air cabin filter yourself - that takes 5 minutes to do in a parts store parking lot with no tools.

i wonder where the CAF is on a Taycan

edit: lol https://rennlist.com/forums/taycan/1259681-2020-taycan-cabin-air-filter-change.html

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lmao

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
man that is way easier than a modern 5 series BMW, which is like 9 torx screws and having to squeeze underneath the dash to see and reach the last 4. I did it but it was a bit of a pita and required Simone Biles flexibility but with Dirk Nowitzki's arms. E90 was pretty easy and had like 7 bolts and E46 was easy as hell since it was only 3 hand twist locks and both of those cars filters were accessed from under the hood by the windscreen.

https://www.europartsplus.com/bmw-f10-cabin-air-filter-replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SopLttt1rm4

might be worth the $225 next time (really like $185 since the filters are $40 to buy anyway) :newlol:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 11, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The worst is the first gen Mazda 3, I swear.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah what are you guys saying lol for? That is a bog standard VAG cabin air filter change. Very similar on my Audi A4 but a little shittier on the Taycan. It's a bit of a pain but doesn't take more than 10 minutes, although if you screw it up you're gonna irreparably kink the filter shoving it into the car's tight bowels inside the dash.

I am very bad / apprehensive at DIYing things but I forced myself to DIY the filter change, everybody should know how to do it on their car. Nice fresh air!

I looked at the BMW process above and I can already tell I would bite the bullet and pay a shop to do it, but I am very lazy and bad with money when hiring out work.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

The worst is the first gen Mazda 3, I swear.

I looked that up once, went :lol: and never loving did it on my MS3.

Even that Taycan gets a :catstare: from me because why the gently caress can't you just leave the filter element straight? Both my old CR-V and my Canyon have super-easy no-tools-required filters.