Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1542174946125926402?s=21&t=Cs19_7CDNciP6ByXXa5yqQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome, good, great, I'm certainly loving glad this is a thing. Nothing like silencing voices through meaningless lawsuits.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

ImpAtom posted:

Awesome, good, great, I'm certainly loving glad this is a thing. Nothing like silencing voices through meaningless lawsuits.

I'm not normally a memoir graphic novel reader, but I will buy this one.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It seems to me like the Don't Say Gay bill being passed into law in Florida has emboldened a lot of awful people to go on a crusade LGBTQ media in the US. These people and their agendas have always been there of course, but I feel like it's been open season lately. What an awful state of affairs. :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A lot of states still have censorship or anti-obscenity laws on the books. They are currently pretty limited and can be difficult to enforce due to a body of Supreme Court rulings on freedom of speech.

I don't know enough about the people behind this suit to comment, but it's a pretty safe bet that conservative groups are working to get a test case in front of this court that will overturn a lot of precedent and give local governments much greater latitude in declaring stuff obscene.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Apparently there's also been a lot of folks challenging books at libraries, like across the country.

I'm on the library board for a super liberal city. Our meetings are all public, but we just had pretty much our first random attendee in 5 years who was someone who "just happened to be curious" about the procedure for challenging books (which nobody has ever done here).

Support your libraries. Appreciate your librarians. Don't let the bastards win.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Apparently there's also been a lot of folks challenging books at libraries, like across the country.

I'm on the library board for a super liberal city. Our meetings are all public, but we just had pretty much our first random attendee in 5 years who was someone who "just happened to be curious" about the procedure for challenging books (which nobody has ever done here).

Support your libraries. Appreciate your librarians. Don't let the bastards win.

As an ex-librarian, I appreciate you and your support. Librarians and teachers need all the help we can get battling ignorance and intolerance.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

As an ex-librarian, I appreciate you and your support. Librarians and teachers need all the help we can get battling ignorance and intolerance.

My plan was to read the book and donate it to a local library. Here in Oregon it will probably be okay (ish)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been hearing about fights with libraries for years and years. They are (usually) good for fighting it.

I did once walk into a Barnes and Noble and they had a table labeled "Banned Books" and selling tons of things that have been fought over for years (eg, Catch-22). Was super happy to see them doing that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Uthor posted:

I've been hearing about fights with libraries for years and years. They are (usually) good for fighting it.

I did once walk into a Barnes and Noble and they had a table labeled "Banned Books" and selling tons of things that have been fought over for years (eg, Catch-22). Was super happy to see them doing that.

My store has a table for that and we keep running out of Maus and having to buy more. In a way, it getting banned in a single school district was really good for it.

To be clear it getting banned was still bullshit, but it gets eyes on the book and people go to read it

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
https://mobile.twitter.com/thetonyisabella/status/1543964078456061954

DC has lately been better than DisneyMarvel about this kind of thing but seems to be backsliding...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Thranguy posted:

DC has lately been better than DisneyMarvel about this kind of thing but seems to be backsliding...

Ken Penders?

Jesus Broken Clock here

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ken Penders?

Jesus Broken Clock here

It's about who owns original creations within an established IP, that's his whole thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Thranguy posted:

I bet that that Maggin's contract is so unusual that it's fallen out of institutional knowledge that WB doesn't own any of the stuff they used. Which doesn't absolve them of their responsibilities or excuse their lack of due diligence, it just explains how it happened.

There is a real problem with the giant media conglomerates using some severely underpaid people as IP farms for things that make billions, it's just that this is a very different circumstance where they actually violated a contract and did some IP theft.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

asking us to stand with Penders is a big ask though

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'll stand with Ken Penders on the issue of creator's rights. I won't stand with him on much else, though. :sweatdrop:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i think ill just find some other guy to stand with.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Do I want to know what this Pender guy’s deal is?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Joe Fisto posted:

You aggressively do not.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Joe Fisto posted:

The short version is he worked on Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog series, got real obsessed with Knuckles, and did a ton of stuff with this elaborate Echidna family history of a plethora of near-identical Knuckles clones across the generations. And then when he left, he decided to take his Echidna ball with him and there was a lawsuit over it, which Archie Comics did a completely clownshoes job on fighting, so he ended up with rights to a giant pile of "Knuckles but with a small beard" and "Knuckles with some minor scars" plus "slightly differently shaded Knuckles with some wrinkles" - not unlike the ape NFTs, now that I think about it. But he still ran off with a ton of Archie Sonic continuity as a result.

Creators' rights are cool and good, but it's hard to take it seriously when the guy did the professional equivalent to a recolored sprite comic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

Very short version: he was the main writer on Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog series for over a decade, and spent a lot of that working on the Knuckles spinoff series, where he created characters like Pirate Knuckles and Girl Knuckles. After he left Archie, he filed copyright claims on every new character he created, then sued Archie, which he won because Archie lost his contract in a fire, and didn't actually care about Mecha Knuckles and Lizard Knuckles, anyway.

E;fb lmao

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, Archie was incompetent and Sega didn't care about the lawsuit since none of those characters are in the games.
Archie had to settle and give him the rights to all the characters he made and then they rebooted the comic to remove them rather than pay Penders money to keep using them.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 5, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
And then he threw a tantrum because sonic 2 the movie showed Kunkles had a dad so clearly they ripped him off

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Glenn Danzig invented the idea of parenthood with his 1988 smash hit song "Mother", so if you ask me the Sonic film people owe him a lot of money.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

And then he threw a tantrum because sonic 2 the movie showed Kunkles had a dad so clearly they ripped him off

Also they had the bit from Sonic 2 where Sonic is standing on a biplane piloted by Tails and Penders was like "ah ha something else they've stolen." Everybody fell over themselves telling him it was from a game but the secret, you see, is Ken has never played a Sonic game in his life and doesn't even like Sonic as a character very much.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I mean, what were the odds of a post Penders Sonic comic both actually using all those "Knuckles but in a funny hat" characters and being worth reading? Because god knows the Penders ones with them aren't.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Veotax posted:

Yeah, Archie was incompetent and Sega didn't care about the lawsuit since none of those characters are in the games.
Archie had to settle and give him the rights to all the characters he made and then they rebooted the comic to remove them rather than pay Penders money to keep using them.

I mean, this is unequivocally good, both because companies should at a minimum be made to demonstrate creative ownership through contracts, and also because they stopped using his characters.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean, this is unequivocally good, both because companies should at a minimum be made to demonstrate creative ownership through contracts, and also because they stopped using his characters.

The point isn't so much 'creator rights are good' because yes, we all agree. The fact that it's coming from Ken Penders himself, who used the poem "First they came..." for his funny video game animal book (and not even correctly, to say nothing of appropriately), is the issue.

What finally got Sega to kick him off the book, according to legend, is an employee of Sega saw an issue of Sonic at the grocery store and the cover is of Sonic holding a wedding invitation to Princess Sally's nuptials but it's not to Sonic and he's just sobbing over it and the Sega person goes "Hey, wait a minute..."

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Those characters actually stuck around in the Archie comic for a good few years after Penders quit (Sega suddenly decided to pay attention to the comic and wasn't happy with what he was doing, allegedly after seeing this cover, Penders supposedly quit rather than have to deal with their demands) and was replaced by Ian Flynn.
What set Penders off is the lovely DS Sonic RPG made by Bioware had a faction of Echidnas in it that Penders claimed were copying what he did on the comic. So he tried to sue Sega & EA (who owned Bioware by the time of the lawsuit). The lawsuit over the game didn't go well, but I guess that got him to sue for ownership of his characters.

After Penders won, those characters very conspicuously didn't appear for a few more issues, until the Sonic/Mega Man crossover kicked off and the events of that were used to reboot Sonic.

Sega never used any comic characters in the games anyway. They only recently started using some of the characters from the IDW comics in a mobile runner game thing (Sega suddenly pulled the license from Archie when another former writer started making noise about maybe suing for his characters)

Veotax fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 5, 2022

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
Check out this thread for more in-depth info about Ken, including him using photos of children to promote his lovely comic without their permission.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3888828&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The real kicker is that the lawsuit that resulted in the removal of Penders' characters happened literally in the middle of an arc dealing with those characters, so the last two issues basically had to be rewritten and drawn without featuring any of them on panel or being referred to by name and they all got sent to the Phantom Zone offpanel at the end,

Anyway Penders is a guy who also claims he owns a character he had nothing to do with the creation of at all so I don't really give a hot poo poo what he thinks about creator rights.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This is the weird time where a not only broken, but dismantled clock, is right for the first time. Give Elliot S! Maggin his due, Warner you fucks!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

For an extra nugget on this poo poo sundae Penders also wanted a sleazy character to be an underage character’s first.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/davidwalker1201/status/1544329224911142912?s=21&t=yoaKgo6yRwiEGMBPieSm4w

https://twitter.com/davidwalker1201/status/1544387208806731776?s=21&t=yoaKgo6yRwiEGMBPieSm4w

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

For an extra nugget on this poo poo sundae Penders also wanted a sleazy character to be an underage character’s first.

He actually said "Sonic may be fast but not that fast when it comes to Sally" and was referring to his blatant James Bond 'homage' character. Great dude.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ken Penders?

Jesus Broken Clock here

fake account, nvm

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 6, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey look, Scott Adams is still a piece of poo poo. Good to see more people figuring that out.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1544811284478103552

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Thank you, author of "Engineers are always right". You impressed me with your comics that were often worth one chuckle, but I am not convinced by your idea that "People don't change after they turn 14".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

X-O posted:

Hey look, Scott Adams is still a piece of poo poo. Good to see more people figuring that out.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1544811284478103552

Didn't in his divorce his ex-wife want nothing to do with him or his money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't in his divorce his ex-wife want nothing to do with him or his money?

If you read through the thread he uh heavily implies he watched his step-son die ODing. So I can't blame her too much