Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the difference between shinra and trump is that shinra doesnt have two incredibly stupid failsons

Correct, Shinra only has one stupid failson, and he dies in Crisis Core because he’s an idiot. Rufus is at least competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Xiahou Dun posted:

Don't go down the road of banning political parties. It doesn't end well. It's very bad company.
If it’s to preserve democracy then yeah, the party should be dissolved.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

If it’s to preserve democracy then yeah, the party should be dissolved.

There's not really any point in that in a two-party country. If you dissolve the GOP, all the GOP supporters will just flock to another party and turn that one into the next GOP. If you ban all right-wing parties and make the US a one-party state, well, better hope you've cultivated extremely close ties with the military, because you'll have a hard time maintaining a one-party dictatorship against the will of 40+% of the voters without plenty of troops to do the legwork for you!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Main Paineframe posted:

If you ban all right-wing parties and make the US a one-party state, well, better hope you've cultivated extremely close ties with the military, because you'll have a hard time maintaining a one-party dictatorship against the will of 40+% of the voters without plenty of troops to do the legwork for you!

Well the US will a one party state at the Federal Level as of next year following the soon SCOTUS ruling - and I don't think the US army has enough troops or the expertise to win an insurgency either without massive external support.

I suppose the new question will become - can the GOP maintain control of the states that will go on to form Gilard.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Don't go down the road of banning political parties. It doesn't end well. It's very bad company.

Whether you support it or think its bad, absolute lol at the very concept of Democrats ever actually doing such a thing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't think that you should ban political parties, but I do think at one point you probably have to figure out some way to cajole the Democratic and Republican Parties to break up because it's one of the key broken parts of our country.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Main Paineframe posted:

There's not really any point in that in a two-party country. If you dissolve the GOP, all the GOP supporters will just flock to another party and turn that one into the next GOP. If you ban all right-wing parties and make the US a one-party state, well, better hope you've cultivated extremely close ties with the military, because you'll have a hard time maintaining a one-party dictatorship against the will of 40+% of the voters without plenty of troops to do the legwork for you!
If the government is actively weeding out anti-democratic parties then it would go to show that whatever the Republicans would rebuild themselves into would try to discard it’s anti-democratic values.

Not that the Dems would do that. But y’know, we’re talking about the morality of a democratic government banning political parties that would seek to dissolve democracy.

Which I think necessary for a democracy to survive. Right?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
When are the next hearings?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
The House reconvenes July 11th but no solid date and time yet, I believe.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Earlier today I checked the calendar and the first Tuesday after the 11th, is the 12th. Congress returns on Monday the 11th.

Today I read on Twitter the next hearing is going to be about the militias, and I suppose that means their connections to Trump and Trump World. And after that I saw July 12th mentioned as the next hearing date but that might be just people looking at the calendar the same way I had. Feels right to me, though.

Curious as to what the rest of you think, but I do see signs in the media that the surprise Hutchinson hearing is having results. Kinzinger, Cheney, Schiff, others talking on the Sunday shows and the late night shows about new witnesses coming forward to testify or address previous testimony in light of new revelations. Sounds very promising.

Promising what?

Well, I was expecting a lot; but I never expected "Take down the loving mags, I know they are armed but they are not here to hurt me, take down the mags and let them march to the Capitol from here (the Ellipse) and I want to be seen leading them, I am the loving President take me to the Capitol." So, more details. We know the broad strokes but granular detail (like the ketchup on the wall of the dining room) feels like disinfectant on a wound to me.

July 12th would be a great day for that hearing, I hope that's it. I mean, prior to the surprise hearing I thought maybe there was going to be a long break after the June hearings, but now that seems less likely to me given the urgency of the CH hearing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wow, look at this never ending list of liars and losers that Trump barely even knew!

Jan 6 panel: More people turn up with evidence against Trump

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-donald-trump-adam-kinzinger-pat-cipollone-government-and-politics-f7ce36ed29a132570b6557fa0f85b13d

Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., cited Hutchinson’s testimony that Trump wanted to join an angry mob of his supporters who marched on Jan. 6, 2021, to the Capitol, where they rioted, as particularly valuable in “inspiring” more people to step forward as the committee gets set for at least two public hearings this month.

“Every day we get new people that come forward and say, ‘Hey, I didn’t think maybe this piece of the story that I knew was important,’” he said Sunday. “There will be way more information and stay tuned.”

In a separate interview, another committee member, Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., said: “We are following additional leads. I think those leads will lead to new testimony.”

The committee has also been working on setting up an interview with Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the conservative activist and wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. She was asked to speak to the committee after disclosures of her communications with Trump’s team in the run-up to and on the day of the insurrection at the Capitol.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Georgia is making moves today, subpoenaing Rudy, Graham, Eastman et al.

https://twitter.com/stphnfwlr/status/1544378977648885760?s=21&t=mcYbp0cLrBqxD52_Wm5Psw

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

With everything else going on I don't think it's really sunk in yet how much the Trump administration has completely destroyed political satire.

This was from last page but you'd see these Hollywood films where the bad guy is an incompetent lowlife who somehow maintains the loyalty and fear of his underlings even while he's constantly making GBS threads the bed. Before Trump that would require a suspension of disbelief. Nobody would willingly follow someone transparently weak, neurotic, unintelligent, incompetent, etc.

Well...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

Georgia is making moves today, subpoenaing Rudy, Graham, Eastman et al.

https://twitter.com/stphnfwlr/status/1544378977648885760?s=21&t=mcYbp0cLrBqxD52_Wm5Psw

National politics aside, let this be a lesson to all: don't piss off the Georgia GOP.

this could be revenge for the upcoming (hopefully) Herschel Walker debacle more than anything, or decreased turnout during the special election

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

National politics aside, let this be a lesson to all: don't piss off the Georgia GOP.

this could be revenge for the upcoming (hopefully) Herschel Walker debacle more than anything, or decreased turnout during the special election

I don’t think the Fulton county DA is a Republican.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That's the county John Lewis is buried in (and one of the main counties he represented) by the way

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Subpoenas are nice and all, but they seem to be rather abused in this entire process and generally mean "in another two years... a state supreme court will finally pick up the defendant's request and declare the subpoena Not Applicable for Reasons ". Can we please get to the charges?

For the sake of the country:
* Independence Day: Indictments for the lot of them
* August 4, Barack Obama day: Court date for the entire cabal
* September 5, Labor Day: All parties retained in prison as flight risks
* 9/11: Sedition, guilty
* 9/17, Constitution Day: Supreme Court repair legislation filed
* 10/1: GOP representative conspirators go down. Three months of flipped control in the house and the senate. Voter education bill, human rights bill, ...
* 11/8 :comfyoot:

I won't talk about what will actually happen. Sticking with the dream for now.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Subpoenas are nice and all, but they seem to be rather abused in this entire process and generally mean "in another two years... a state supreme court will finally pick up the defendant's request and declare the subpoena Not Applicable for Reasons ". Can we please get to the charges?

* 10/1: GOP representative conspirators go down. Three months of flipped control in the house and the senate. Voter education bill, human rights bill, ...

If you're going to dream, dream big... it's your counterfactual, don't hold back!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm sorry for being a jerk but where do you buy such high quality hopium? I'd like to overdose on it myself.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Next is set on the 12th at 7am pst
Too early damnit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrUa0hfG6Lo

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This was from last page but you'd see these Hollywood films where the bad guy is an incompetent lowlife who somehow maintains the loyalty and fear of his underlings even while he's constantly making GBS threads the bed. Before Trump that would require a suspension of disbelief. Nobody would willingly follow someone transparently weak, neurotic, unintelligent, incompetent, etc.

Well...

I haven't bothered to check yet but I feel like there very easily could/should be an entry in Tv/Movie Tropes for "Trump".

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

I haven't bothered to check yet but I feel like there very easily could/should be an entry in Tv/Movie Tropes for "Trump".

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Trumplica

"The Trumplica is an often unflattering example of an Eccentric Millionaire that tends to appear in works of fiction made after 1980, designed after probably the most iconic (for better or for worse) of the decade's many corporate tycoons: Donald Trump."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

trump parodies have existed since the 80's and none of them are as stupid and incompetent as the real thing lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 6, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

OgNar posted:

Next is set on the 12th at 7am pst
Too early damnit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrUa0hfG6Lo

Webb's first images are debuting that morning. Why they gotta do that poo poo?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Basically any time some rich arsehole wants to tear down the local community center for a parking lot that rich arsehole is a stand in for Trump

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

These aren’t legislative branch subpoenas of executive branch personnel who may have a legitimate separation of powers claim ala the J06 subpoena of Meadows.

It’s also not a civil suit subpoena where everyone has to play nice and give the person subpoenaed the benefit of the doubt for scheduling and etc… like the suit by NY AG vs Trump Inc.

This is a criminal grand jury investigating crimes for which SCOTUS ruled multiple times that even a sitting president has to cooperate. There are almost no claims that can be raised to be excepted from testifying and failing to cooperate actually often results in contempt of court with jail time and potentially obstruction of Justice charges.

It’s not charges, but it’s a necessary step on the way to charges.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thank you, Murgos.

Was swinging through to see if it had been posted.

As Murgos says, this is not like a subpoena from the committee to other legislatures/executive branch people so it's not safe to ignore. Expect one with Donald Trump's name on it, too.

Remember any charges and convictions arising from this state Grand Jury cannot be pardoned by any POTUS, because no POTUS can pardon State crimes or commute State sentences.

It is real.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

I don’t think the Fulton county DA is a Republican.

Excuse me; I thought this was Cobb for some reason.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thank you, Murgos.

Was swinging through to see if it had been posted.

As Murgos says, this is not like a subpoena from the committee to other legislatures/executive branch people so it's not safe to ignore. Expect one with Donald Trump's name on it, too.

Remember any charges and convictions arising from this state Grand Jury cannot be pardoned by any POTUS, because no POTUS can pardon State crimes or commute State sentences.

It is real.

Unfortunately the Georgia governor can pardon state crimes. I would not put it past Kemp to do so should he win.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Unfortunately the Georgia governor can pardon state crimes. I would not put it past Kemp to do so should he win.
That would be quite a flex. I'd like to see him try it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

That would be quite a flex. I'd like to see him try it.

if he wins this time he'll be term-limited out anyway, he's got nothing to lose doing it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Oracle posted:

Trump hates Kemp, has blasted him relentlessly since the election, and backed a primary challenger against him. Kemp easily defeated his Trumpy challenger 6 weeks ago.

Maybe he'll pardon him despite all that, but I don't think its a given since Trump has been a belligerent pain in his rear end for a while and he just demonstrated that Trump can't retire him.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Trumplica

"The Trumplica is an often unflattering example of an Eccentric Millionaire that tends to appear in works of fiction made after 1980, designed after probably the most iconic (for better or for worse) of the decade's many corporate tycoons: Donald Trump."

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

trump parodies have existed since the 80's and none of them are as stupid and incompetent as the real thing lol

That's kind of the interesting thing about it. Trump was a real person before he was parodied in movies but Post-Escalator Trump can be seen as a definitively separate person in the cultural zeitgeist. And Post-Jan 6 Trump is essentially a living parody of himself that exists in the real world.

It would be like if Dean Cain started walking around wearing a Superman costume and people just think he's being a weird rear end in a top hat, then he melts the mirror in a bar with heat vision and flies away, and everyone loses their poo poo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rigel posted:

Trump hates Kemp, has blasted him relentlessly since the election, and backed a primary challenger against him. Kemp easily defeated his Trumpy challenger 6 weeks ago.

Maybe he'll pardon him despite all that, but I don't think its a given since Trump has been a belligerent pain in his rear end for a while and he just demonstrated that Trump can't retire him.

I hope so, but Kemp is a cold-blooded calculating crooked bastard and I wouldn't trust him to do the right thing if you paid him.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I expect a Georgia governor will eventually pardon Trump if convicted whether it’s kemp or not. Hopefully Georgia moving in on him will give some of the other states where he did similar high pressure calls some balls to also get in on it.

Maybe by then DOJ will have got off it’s rear end and moved too.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Oracle posted:

I hope so, but Kemp is a cold-blooded calculating crooked bastard and I wouldn't trust him to do the right thing if you paid him.

Truth. If he's termed out, though, he's pretty free to let Trump rot without political consequences, unless he has plans to run for President in the nearish future. Which I suppose is something. Trump is such a deeply unpleasant raging rear end in a top hat elemental that any Republican who isn't a true believer will gladly bury their metaphorical knives in his back the instant they feel they don't need him anymore, because they're all spiteful, opportunistic vipers. I doubt there's ever going to be that tipping point before Trump dies, but I'm sure it's a dream that rests deeply in the cold dead empty space where Mitch McConnell's soul should be.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

An update on testimony. This time, Cipollone:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1544702309074194437?t=my1M2cdGHu-X_pEQhBGoFw&s=19

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oh nice. If he doesn't just 5th on everything, this is probably going to be pretty good because he'll want to confirm the previous testimony and save his rear end.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Why are they announcing this knowing she is just going to be a target.
Unless thats what they are going for.
But still

She will not be in Tuesdays Nazi special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyuyY219aQ

https://twitter.com/karolcummins/status/1544689199713898496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OgNar posted:

Why are they announcing this knowing she is just going to be a target.
Unless thats what they are going for.
But still

She will not be in Tuesdays Nazi special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyuyY219aQ

https://twitter.com/karolcummins/status/1544689199713898496

To pressure other witnesses to come forward and/or not lie. The perception that a bunch of witnesses are opening up creates a sense of inevitable discovery. At some point "if I shut up we'll all be fine" stops feeling like a viable option, and the priorities shift to rear end-covering.