Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I loved Ragnarok, it’s a top 5 MCU movie for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

The review embargo for Thor 4 dropped, and it seems like the general consensus is that the movie is disjointed.

From the reviews I read it sounds like the movie (incredibly vague spoilers kinda?) is an absolute mess and not very good but manages to stick the landing with a really good ending which in turn makes up for the rest of the movie.

I’m watching because hey it’s Taika and Hemsworth doing their thing but this is actually tracking to be one of the lowest rarest MCU films.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Aw drat the “get woke go broke” crowd will be all over middling reviews.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thor love and blunder

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

Aw drat the “get woke go broke” crowd will be all over middling reviews.

Does anyone pay attention to them anymore now that their central thesis has been repeatedly disproven?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Does anyone pay attention to them anymore now that their central thesis has been repeatedly disproven?

It would seem people do. If people didn’t they’d move in to another grift.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ben Wapiro will post the image of Taika making out with 2 women and be like :smug: Thor more like Bore-ing :smug:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Best part of Thor Ragnarok is how it's so good it just wiped the first 2 Thor movies out of history. Just a big burst of rainbow joy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And then Infinity War wiped it out.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Well part of the source material for Love and Thunder looks to be Jason Aaron's "Ages of Thunde" arc. Which was an okay story that got elevated to great because it really nailed the loving landing on the ending.
So if the new Thor film is the same than that tracks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There's no way in hell Thor 4 is worse than Eternals. This is just getting review bombed by loving bigots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're professional reviews, you need some degree of legitimacy to get a review on RT.

But anyway it's at 71%. Eternals is 47%.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

They're professional reviews, you need some degree of legitimacy to get a review on RT.

But anyway it's at 71%.

Only 5 points away from Thor 2. Ain’t looking good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is not how Rotten Tomatoes works, it's just the percent chance you'll like it.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I've been predicting for a while now that the critics would turn on Taika at some point, maybe this is just that. I'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lager posted:

I've been predicting for a while now that the critics would turn on Taika at some point, maybe this is just that. I'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

You make ONE gay pirate show and suddenly everyone turns on you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arist posted:

This is not how Rotten Tomatoes works, it's just the percent chance you'll like it.

Yes. RT has 71% of critics liking it. Hardly a review bomb.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

RT is garbage. I’m seeing L&T tomorrow and I’m going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
RT is a aggregate more than anything and people keep forgetting that. A movie that gets 3/5 and a movie that gets 5/5 is weighted the same way as "fresh". Also people thinking a movie getting a higher score means it must be great as opposed to "well the critics didn't hate it but a lot thought it was mediocre or just okay".
Also, you know, sometimes a movie as just isn't amazing but okay and that's alright. I can see how TW shtick can grow old (even though I am a fan) and really don't see some grand conspiracy here. This is kind of like of Snyder-bros arguing that RT purposely lowers the score of his movies on purpose.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean the trailer’s haven’t hidden anything in terms of what most reviews are complaining about, mainly about Thor just being a big goofy himbo idiot now. It works every now and then but this movie appears to lean HARD on it. On the flip side, there’s a scene in one of the previews where Stormchaser acts like a scorned lover which is the right amount of stupid I like to see in comic book movies that aren’t trying to be serious.

Like this is dancing the line of funny and very stupid carefully I can see people loving it or hating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vbIZBx-3kA

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Like this is dancing the line of funny and very stupid carefully I can see people loving it or hating it.
How could anyone hate that, holy poo poo. That's loving hilarious.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

How could anyone hate that, holy poo poo. That's loving hilarious.

Some people hate fun. I don't understand why, but they do. Must be a miserable existance.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Snyderbros

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'll wait for the Snyder edition of Love and Thunder before I render any judgement cuts.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I would definitely watch Justice League: The Waititi Cut.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Taikut?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
They're gonna kill off Gorr, I loving know it (to be clear: not a spoiler, haven't seen the movie, don't worry), and I really really wish Marvel would remember they're a comic book company and that a big part of that secret sauce is that you don't kill off the god drat villains in their first appearance, you keep them around so if they get popular you can bring them back and do more stuff with 'em.

Like... remember Loki, Marvel? He makes you so much money now! Don't you like money? If you keep killing all the baddies, you can't turn one of them into the next Loki! Do it for the money!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

They're gonna kill off Gorr, I loving know it (to be clear: not a spoiler, haven't seen the movie, don't worry), and I really really wish Marvel would remember they're a comic book company and that a big part of that secret sauce is that you don't kill off the god drat villains in their first appearance, you keep them around so if they get popular you can bring them back and do more stuff with 'em.

Like... remember Loki, Marvel? He makes you so much money now! Don't you like money? If you keep killing all the baddies, you can't turn one of them into the next Loki! Do it for the money!

Comic books love to kill off villains, they just retcon them back. Loki died like three times and is still around. We just had all the dead Spider Man villains come in for a huge party.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

Loki is a recurring character in the comics. Gorr is not. He had his story and then he was done. Not everything needs to be long game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what a weird character to get mad about. dude was in one fuckin arc

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also the reason Marvel can get big some name actors like Bale, Blanchett, etc. are because they're not committing to a franchise and are only gonna be used once or twice. So they can get a big paycheck, make their kids happy, then go on to the next project and not be locked in like most of the main franchise stars.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Plus if you let the villain live it’s then a coin flip of if you get “sequel where villain comes back more powerful and with allies” or “villain comes back but this time WHOOPS you have to team up against a GREATER threat”. And each of those options has its own coin flip of good v bad.

Coming up with new poo poo even if it’s bad is at least an attempt at something unique.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Quit being weird about the movie

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

site posted:

what a weird character to get mad about. dude was in one fuckin arc
I'm not mad about Gorr specifically, I'm mad at the trend in general. What's the dang harm in sticking the baddies in space-jail or whatever? If you never want 'em back, they never get out and you never see them again, nothing changes. But at least you've got the option now.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gorr can die it's All-Black the Necrosword who has franchise potential

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Just watch the movie and it’s okay if you like it and the critics didn’t. It’s a comic book movie. Stop worrying about RT scores. Nothing could matter less.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

I'm not mad about Gorr specifically, I'm mad at the trend in general. What's the dang harm in sticking the baddies in space-jail or whatever? If you never want 'em back, they never get out and you never see them again, nothing changes. But at least you've got the option now.

They tried that with Vulture and now he's stuck with Morbius! Do you want others to suffer this fate? What cruelty truly lies in your heart?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gorr died so KNULL could rise.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Swedish word for fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Keeping villains alive works well in the comics, when you have at least one issue a month. In a movie where each individual hero gets 2 or 2 solo films a decade its not really a viable way of storytelling. Better to make room for new Toys characters