Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Senator Drinksalot posted:

David Fincher sucks

I mean I didn't care for Mank either but seems a bit harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

They all fall short in some way or another, ID4 has the perfect balance of wanton property damage, likeable, quotable characters with a bunch of one-liners, bombastic soundtrack, amazing special effects, juuuust enough drama and danger to keep things grounded while still being lighthearted enough to be fun overall, and makes for a wild crowd-experience in a packed theatre when the audience really gets into it. The only one on your list that even comes close is T2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay80wwQ_e2k

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 6, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yes.

And I'm not apologizing. :colbert:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Guys, guys, guys, you are being way too hard on Burke. It was just a bad call, Ripley. A bad call.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I say we grease this ratfuck sonofabitch right now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

I say we grease this ratfuck sonofabitch right now.

Alright let's do it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
No offense!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
How can they cut the power, man, they're animals?!?!

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

PhotoKirk posted:

I was in college when that was popular. Spent many an evening playing Aliens/Doom and drinking Shiner Bock.

Hell yeah, the dorms at university in Texas circa 1996 were the first time most of us had ever seen ethernet and it was basically a standing LAN party. I remember watching a bunch of guys in adjacent rooms playing the Aliens mod and shouting back and forth across the hallway "Check those corners"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I know we've knocked around ideas for an Isolation franchise. I saw this:

https://www.cbr.com/untitled-terminator-survival-game-announcement-trailer-nacon/

Which they're labeling a Terminator Survivor game

Not much info on it at all but a survivor/isolation approach to Terminator sounds like the right way to go and would be a refreshing change up from the shooter games we usually get

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I did it y'all. I thought about Aliens (the movie).

Or maybe it was I briefly thought about something different, before I resumed thinking about Aliens. Can't remember now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Something I wondered about is what exactly happened to cause W-Y to start using androids who weren't okay with murdering the poo poo out of people on company orders. I guess enough shitshows occurred to cause enough outrage that even they had to comply, or maybe an Ash butler went mental and shoved a polecat down some rich dude's throat.

BiggerBoat posted:

I know we've knocked around ideas for an Isolation franchise. I saw this:

https://www.cbr.com/untitled-terminator-survival-game-announcement-trailer-nacon/

Which they're labeling a Terminator Survivor game

Not much info on it at all but a survivor/isolation approach to Terminator sounds like the right way to go and would be a refreshing change up from the shooter games we usually get

This could work though I can't say I find the idea of being stuck in the post-nuclear wasteland too enticing. One of the things that made Isolation sing for me was the gorgeous 70s future aesthetic, a bunch of bombed out buildings and burnt traffic wreckage isn't remotely as appealing.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah but it really isn’t, like I mentioned before. Burke is acting on his own, but only because he knows someone else will do it if he doesn’t do it first. It’s a retcon in the sense that the first movie made the Company a faceless entity, but the sequel actually personified it with a specific character.

And yeah the third movie doubles down on it and has the Company just be evil again.

I think plenty implies that it’s bad - Burke is acting as fast as he can because he knows some other (bad) person will do his cutthroat, questionable poo poo if he doesn’t do it first. That means there are other bad actors in the company other than Burke.

I think if Burke at his introduction says “I’m with the Company but don’t let that fool you, I’m an OK guy” it can be safely read that W-Y have a well earned reputation as bastards. I do remember the Colonial Marines Tech Manual had a bunch of the W-Y people praising Burke’s ambition as impressive also, so he was apparently not out of character for them.

Sentinel Red posted:

Something I wondered about is what exactly happened to cause W-Y to start using androids who weren't okay with murdering the poo poo out of people on company orders. I guess enough shitshows occurred to cause enough outrage that even they had to comply, or maybe an Ash butler went mental and shoved a polecat down some rich dude's throat.

I imagine it was the “on company orders” bit not working that caused the shift, the kill capable androids seemed a tad whacko to begin with, so I expect they had a bad habit of getting the killing started without instructions to that effect. I expect making no-kill robots also made those easier to slip in everywhere like the Marines where they could observe everything.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just saw that in Terminator: Resistance at some point they added a free mode where you can play as a T800. Which I always wanted to do, for some reason.

Unfortunately I don't think it comes with a dialogue tree where you can select select "gently caress you, ahsshole" etc.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sentinel Red posted:

Probably insurance reasons. :)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MrMojok posted:

Just saw that in Terminator: Resistance at some point they added a free mode where you can play as a T800. Which I always wanted to do, for some reason.

Unfortunately I don't think it comes with a dialogue tree where you can select select "gently caress you, ahsshole" etc.

"gently caress you." and "gently caress you, rear end in a top hat." Being too separate choices in that scene is one of the best things in the entire franchise. :3:

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Sentinel Red posted:

Broadly the same historical trends that make modern companies not actively kill people. Like, sure, the occasional union activist commits suicide by shooting themselves in the back of their head but strong arm tactics like having a pinkerton shoot a union activist in the face isn't necessary anymore.

It's a shift that largely happened between Alien and Aliens and is reflected in the film. Highlighted by some School of the Americas stuff where the Reaganite lesson was "We don't do that anymore -- well, not here and that's good enough." Which creates space for Burke and ROBOCOP.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Watching Blade Runner Final Cut in 4K.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've uh...... I've never seen Blade Runner. :ohdear:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I am crying in the rain right now IRL because of this, go forth and watch it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Thinking About Blade Runners

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I am crying in the rain right now IRL because of this, go forth and watch it

All the different versions too!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Highly recommended. Ridley Scott is at the top of his game with this movie.

E:The cinematography is loving amazing. It’s actually hard to believe this movie is forty years old.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 15, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think my dad had it on CED (vinyl movie) when I was a child. I think the cover scared me so I didn't watch it.

I was a super scared kid when I was young.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Go forth and watch it.

Start with the theatrical version.

Then never watch any other version.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Senator Drinksalot posted:

David Fincher sucks

What! No!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm acquiring Blade Runner atm. The final cut though. I just want to see all of it.

Also 2049.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

I'm acquiring Blade Runner atm. The final cut though. I just want to see all of it.

Also 2049.

Good call on both, 2049 actually manages to be a great sequel to a film I expected would never get one. Don't expect an super action thrill ride though, they're both pretty meditative films and the violence is generally meant to be unpleasant when it happens.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'll have to watch it when I'm sober. So that might be a while.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Final Cut is the best Blade Runner of all the 27 different versions, so good call.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

2049 is awesome and way, way better than it has any right to be. It’s among the rare pantheon of “legit good sequels” like T2, Aliens, and Top Gun Maverick.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Looks like I missed my chance to see Top Gun: Maverick in IMAX :(

Yeah, Blade Runner 2049 is incredible. I'm a huge DUNE fanboy and even I think it's way better than Villeneuve's new adaptation.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't give a gently caress about most movies in theatres, including IMAX, but drat, I wish I saw Mad Max Fury Road on the (very) big screen.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
e: ^^^ extreme this

MadDogMike posted:

Good call on both, 2049 actually manages to be a great sequel to a film I expected would never get one. Don't expect an super action thrill ride though, they're both pretty meditative films and the violence is generally meant to be unpleasant when it happens.

There's also not a lot of heroism like in Aliens. And when it happens it comes from unexpected places.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

I'll have to watch it when I'm sober. So that might be a while.

Pfft terrible call

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, Blade Runner 2049 is incredible. I'm a huge DUNE fanboy and even I think it's way better than Villeneuve's new adaptation.

Between Arrival, BR2049, and Dune, he’s quickly becoming one of my favorite directors. I am beyond stoked that he’s adapting the book ‘Rendezvous with Rama’.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've tried with Arrival on three different occasions, but I've never been able to finish it. There's something about it that I just can't engage with, and I always find myself distracted.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

edogawa rando posted:

I've tried with Arrival on three different occasions, but I've never been able to finish it. There's something about it that I just can't engage with, and I always find myself distracted.

Aw that's too bad. It's probably my favorite Villenueve movie. Also helps it came out November 11, 2016… the weekend following that year's Presidential election, so seeing something uplifting was a salve.

Funny too as Villenueve's previous movie was Sicario, which the sea of how terrible the Mexican War on Drugs was probably helped put :chaostrump: in office.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/oHlgz2D.mp4

Thought about those aliens today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

New Alien game coming - https://survios.com/studio/aliens/

quote:

This new Aliens game will feature an original storyline, set between the Alien and Aliens films, where a battle hardened veteran has a vendetta against the Xenomorphs.

The game will take full advantage of Survios’ expertise in creating immersive and authentic gaming experiences, and is being developed for the PC, Console, and VR.