Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I normally don't like the stranger conspiracy theories about the books, but the one theory that I saw that The Seven may be connected to The Others was really interesting. I can't find the theory now, but one of the many pieces of evidence was the use of those blue eye stones on corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

MrMojok posted:

Wasn’t there a big discussion in the GoT thread at the time about how infeasible and unrealistic dual-wielding is, in real life?

I mean, it sure looks cool, I’ll give ‘em that.

There was. And it mostly happened because that whole sequence looked like rear end.

The premise was stupid granted, but the camera work was atrocious. I always link this whenever this conversation comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I6QYvPORhs

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Fun game - how much of The North actually Remembers?

Because I *think* its Lyanna Mormont. That's it.

And boy does she. I just finished S6 and she sure gives the other House leaders a dressing-down in the big meeting at the end, naming and shaming for not answering the call.

I really loved this last episode, “The Winds of Winter,” and despite my misgivings about the later seasons I’m still having fun with it.

I remember very clearly how shocked I was in 2016 when I first saw Cersei was going to blow the Sept and everyone in it off the continent, and then shocked again later when Tommen did a header out the high window of the Red Keep.

Cersei was an incredible mega-villain in this show and Lena Heady was great.

It was nice to see Arya’s revenge over Walder. Perhaps “nice” isn’t the best word to use because Arya’s a little psychopath now who’s just chopped up and fed Walder’s sons to him, but hey, he did ask for it.

I also remember the first time I saw this and how happy I was to FINALLY see Daenerys and her armies and dragons heading across the narrow sea.

Also the reveal of Jon’s parentage, which I knew nothing about prior to seeing this ep. Although I think it had been pretty well spelled out prior to that and I just didn’t see it.

Despite being on shaky ground at times in S6, I do like the season overall, and the season finale was a banger. I think I’d go so far as to say it’s one of my favorite episodes of the series!

Now on to the endgame, S7/8, which is where most of my worst memories of this show are from.

e: Now that Walder’s dead, I want to share what to me was one of the single funniest scenes in the entire run of the show.

The recitation of names (all variations of “Wald”) and how little of a poo poo he gives about his daughters was funny, but oh man, his delivery of “Fine” at 1:25 just absolutely slays me every single time.

e: forgot link

https://youtu.be/l8_3jXZqyv4

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 6, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Xealot posted:

It's also basically a trope, Logan or True Grit or Shane or any other media about a violent, traumatized older man forced into a reluctant fatherly protector role by circumstance.

It doesn't really fit in to that trope because they both intensely dislike each other and Arya run away the second she gets the chance.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
People not believing in the seven or the old gods isn't material for theorizing, it's bad writing from atheists, book and show, who think all medieval religion was cynical.

see: dothraki, longswords piercing plate, rape and murder 24/7, a whole host of bullshit medieval tropes.

DnD are worse than Germ though, for making the high sparrow a fanatic with a frothing murder mob instead of a populist.

One trope GoT avoids really well is making every noble a scheming sociopath, CK style. Marriage alliances work because most people still loved their families. King X does not want his sister at the mercy of her husband, King Y, and wants good for his nephew the heir. Not always, by any means, but often as not.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 6, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lezard_valeth posted:

There was. And it mostly happened because that whole sequence looked like rear end.

The premise was stupid granted, but the camera work was atrocious. I always link this whenever this conversation comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I6QYvPORhs

I'm having a hard time thinking of a swordfight in a movie or TV show where it was one person vs. more than 2 other people where it didn't require a ton of suspension of disbelief. Which is not to say it can't be done, like the Bride vs. dozens of mooks in Kill Bill 1 was great. It's just very difficult to get the audience not to notice that the gang of people could easily take the hero if they wanted to.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I'm having a hard time thinking of a swordfight in a movie or TV show where it was one person vs. more than 2 other people where it didn't require a ton of suspension of disbelief. Which is not to say it can't be done, like the Bride vs. dozens of mooks in Kill Bill 1 was great. It's just very difficult to get the audience not to notice that the gang of people could easily take the hero if they wanted to.

It would basically require armor to be shown realistically and to have more to the fight than just sword-clashing. You'd need to see a weapon bounce off of the hero's chestplate as they tackled an enemy off of their feet, then turned their attention to another foe. Or have them use numbers against the enemy by moving around, forcing them to bump into each other and/or lose their footing. I think it was 47 Ronin where I remember a one-on-many fight being somewhat believable.

Besides early GoT, the only time I ever remember a character using armor as armor was in The Mandalorian, oddly enough. He knows when his armor can deflect lasers or other weapons and lets it do so in order to get the upper hand in a fight.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

so what you're saying is bronn vs the sandsnakes isn't that bad

and that's just nobody's fault

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pennsylvanian posted:

It would basically require armor to be shown realistically and to have more to the fight than just sword-clashing. You'd need to see a weapon bounce off of the hero's chestplate as they tackled an enemy off of their feet, then turned their attention to another foe. Or have them use numbers against the enemy by moving around, forcing them to bump into each other and/or lose their footing. I think it was 47 Ronin where I remember a one-on-many fight being somewhat believable.

Besides early GoT, the only time I ever remember a character using armor as armor was in The Mandalorian, oddly enough. He knows when his armor can deflect lasers or other weapons and lets it do so in order to get the upper hand in a fight.

Yeah, somebody said earlier a scrum would have been better for that fight, and it's hard to disagree. Just 10 heavily armored dudes who can't really stab or slash each other.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
broinn jumps in with his standard knife

the girls are like pfft huh huahh

bronn says the gently caress, probably says oval office why not

jamie just observes this

instead of what we got.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The north and the old gods are played pretty straight believers, I don’t think there’s a lot of disbelievers there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Hound owning the Lannister soldiers in the inn was pretty great.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, I can watch Arya and the Hound repeatedly.

Just watched The Door. God, what a gut punch. I remember when it aired originally I could not stop thinking about it the whole next week at work.

Hodor :saddowns:

I could not take it seriously because Hodor's name and him only being able to say "Hodor", being Bran saying "hold the door" until it becomes one word was so baffling and funny to me. The scene felt like they made it up on the spot.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It was a reveal that was dumb in retrospect because it set up that Bran time-traveled once and never again just to have a tearjerker moment.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pennsylvanian posted:

It was a reveal that was dumb in retrospect because it set up that Bran time-traveled once and never again just to have a tearjerker moment.

The time travel stuff didn't bother me. It was specifically that the big Hodor reveal was Bran said three words a bunch of times until it became one word

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Macaluso posted:

The time travel stuff didn't bother me. It was specifically that the big Hodor reveal was Bran said three words a bunch of times until it became one word

Well Bran gave an otherwise normal kid a stroke by crossing the streams between his time travel powers and his mind control powers. The three words thing was indeed dumb but the tragedy of the whole thing was pretty clear.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
My wife and I let out a "holy poo poo" when we realized that Brann had mind-time-traveled because we thought we just saw the beginning of something important in the story

Lol, none of it mattered. Bran didn't matter at all did he? He just got possessed by an evil wizard and then sat around while everyone saved him

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It seems like they wanted to have a lot of mystery around Bran, what with him warging out during the All Nighter, as well as his tracking of Drogon in the finale, but they didn't have any real intrigue or insight into why he's acting so strangely. It feels like the writers were fighting each other over what Bran was supposed to be.

I genuinely thought that Bran was going to skin-change into Theon at the last moment and use him to suicide charge the Night King, which could have been interesting but lol.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pennsylvanian posted:

It seems like they wanted to have a lot of mystery around Bran, what with him warging out during the All Nighter, as well as his tracking of Drogon in the finale, but they didn't have any real intrigue or insight into why he's acting so strangely. It feels like the writers were fighting each other over what Bran was supposed to be.

I genuinely thought that Bran was going to skin-change into Theon at the last moment and use him to suicide charge the Night King, which could have been interesting but lol.

When they skipped Bran for a whole season, I think everyone was like "yay, Bran sucks glad to have a season off", but now knowing the ending they were headed toward ... yeah, they definitely should have had a season explaining who the 3-eyed raven is and why he's taking Bran's mind over

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Bran got a last second revenge on Theon for betraying the Starks i don’t know if that would have been in character or not

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What I could never get over is the idea that they’ve made what is essentially an inhuman, alien intelligence their new king.

And everyone has talked to this dude, everyone knows what a weirdo he is now. And someone, maybe Tyrion says, “What makes a good king? STORIES! Stories make for a good king!”

What in the hell?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

bobjr posted:

If Bran got a last second revenge on Theon for betraying the Starks i don’t know if that would have been in character or not

Here's an idea: During his "trial", Jaime volunteers his sword to protect Bran. During the battle, he honorably fights to the bitter, bloody end in the defense of Bran, possibly even alongside Theon. You can then spin that into so many different wild story angles that all work, whether Jaime lives or dies. It's at least some kind of decent moment for the two characters whose interaction in Episode 1 started this whole mess.

Since everyone has their own awful version of who should have killed the Night King, how about this:

Off the top of my head, the Azor Ahai myth goes: water, lion, Nissa Nissa, right? Have the Night King stab Theon (water), then Jaime (lion), then Dany or Arya (could just be familial affection), then have Jon be Azor Ahai when he takes that same blade from the Night King and kills him with it. Or gently caress it, have Jon or Jorah get stabbed so that Arya or Dany could be Azor Ahai. Or maybe just Theon and Jaime get stabbed, and it's Brienne that kills the Night King. I think prophecies are all pointless like GRRM seems to wants us to think, but these can all tie into sacrifice and redemption which the story does like. And at the end of the day, we're talking about the Season 8 Dragon Show, so who cares at that point.

I know that's all stupid. Everyone and their mother has put out alternate endings, and most that I've seen are worse than what we actually got. But I feel like it's something with logic and pathos that may be more satisfying than Arya wire-diving from off-screen.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
if there's one legacy left us with to reckon with, it's a weird spelling of jamie

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There is one thing that I liked about that episode, and it's that the Night's King had a critical weakspot and it's his dick. So she stabs him in the dick to death.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

roomtone posted:

if there's one legacy left us with to reckon with, it's a weird spelling of jamie

It's the Spanish version. When I read the books I always referred to him in my head as Hymay

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I knew a half Scottish half Mayan Jew named Jaime or Hymie depending on who he was talking to.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Macaluso posted:

I could not take it seriously because Hodor's name and him only being able to say "Hodor", being Bran saying "hold the door" until it becomes one word was so baffling and funny to me. The scene felt like they made it up on the spot.
It'd be a fine reveal if that plot loving went anywhere afterwards.

Bran being able to time travel mattered to the tune of zero. He imparted one piece of information that could've been obtained any other number of ways that would've served the plot more than having one dude's entire seasons-long arc be "hey, that's your aunt. Ope. Time to be king now. Not because I can see everything past, present, and possibly future, but because I'm disabled and people evidently like that in this world all of a sudden."

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Phenotype posted:

It's the Spanish version. When I read the books I always referred to him in my head as Hymay

Yeah, no joke I read it as "High-may" for like ten years before the show came out.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I have finished my rewatch and you'll be glad to know I don't have much to say about the last two seasons, except that "The Bells" was loving obscene. This will be my last Rewatch post.

If Dany is just another crazy Targ, then set it up better than you did. S7 and S8 was thirteen episodes, you had plenty of time, come on, man.

If it's for another reason, then set THAT up. I liked the character for years, give me some payoff or justification. "The Bells" is horrific. Not only because of the unearned mental break she seems to suffer but because we have to watch fifteen solid minutes of her laying waste to KL for no reason, with endless shots of civilians being incinerated or crushed by falling masonry/shingles/bricks due to Dragon/Godzilla Explosive Breath

e: (removed hateful comment about the show)

I shouldn’t say that. Last episode was fine and despite all the nitpicks I have with the show, I still love it overall.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 7, 2022

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think 13 episodes would have been enough either. There needed to be a much darker turn somewhere around the halfway point for it to have made sense.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

MrMojok posted:

Do the dumbass iron islanders in the book do the thing where they drown a would-be king and see if he spontaneously resuscitates with no assistance?

You’d think they’d kill dozens of promising candidates doing that.

I think their religious ritual to bring him back to life is basically CPR.

So basically the people who live a lot of their life on ships are taught how to do CPR through their religion and told it can bring a drowned man back to life. It makes sense tbh, it's fun worldbuilding.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Isn't it more or less implied that the priests save the ones they want as their king and let the others die?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think 13 episodes would have been enough either. There needed to be a much darker turn somewhere around the halfway point for it to have made sense.

She burned a victim of rape alive in the first season.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The show downplayed Dany’s worst aspects while championing a lot of her stuff. They did it with a few characters, Tyrion got the same treatment, and Stannis got it the opposite way.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

MrMojok posted:

I have finished my rewatch and you'll be glad to know I don't have much to say about the last two seasons, except that "The Bells" was loving obscene. This will be my last Rewatch post.

If Dany is just another crazy Targ, then set it up better than you did. S7 and S8 was thirteen episodes, you had plenty of time, come on, man.

If it's for another reason, then set THAT up. I liked the character for years, give me some payoff or justification. "The Bells" is horrific. Not only because of the unearned mental break she seems to suffer but because we have to watch fifteen solid minutes of her laying waste to KL for no reason, with endless shots of civilians being incinerated or crushed by falling masonry/shingles/bricks due to Dragon/Godzilla Explosive Breath

I won't even comment on the last episode, gently caress you too, game of thrones

If you haven't watched the Preston Jacobs Season 7/8 Fixed series, I'd recommend it. I typically avoid that kind of stuff but Jacobs other videos are really well grounded and the restrictions he sets for himself in rearranging seasons are very appropriate. His theory crafting videos on the books drew me in and after clearing through most of them I started on his Season watches. The Season reviews are skippable unless you just like hearing someone agree with you though.

Also, during his Season 8 watch he repeatedly commented on Tyrion's plan with the bells and how it didn't seem to make a lot of sense. I thought he may have been picking a little too hard, but during my own recent rewatch I got to the Battle of the Blackwater and Davos laid this quote on us:

quote:

I've never known bells to mean surrender.

lol

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 7, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
rings the bells of surrender boys

the really loud ones captain?

that's right son

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Orange Devil posted:

I think their religious ritual to bring him back to life is basically CPR.

So basically the people who live a lot of their life on ships are taught how to do CPR through their religion and told it can bring a drowned man back to life. It makes sense tbh, it's fun worldbuilding.

The survival rate of people receiving CPR is 10-15%, even with modern medical interventions, so that is literally the worst plan anyone ever came up with.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Davos kind of forgot that bells mean surrender

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chalk CPR up on the list of things grrm saw on tv and decided that makes him an authority on, after christianity, indigenous people, the mongol empire, economics...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The survival rate of people receiving CPR is 10-15%, even with modern medical interventions, so that is literally the worst plan anyone ever came up with.

The Drowned God's only superpower is that CPR works a lot better for his people.