Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Well, after the 4th? 5th? what feels like billionth? time of my outboard just... dying randomly in positions where I absolutely need it not to die (entering the harbor in 15-20knts of wind, always fun), we decided to replace it.

The problem is, we don't need much power. The boat is only about 2600-2700lbs with crew and gear, and our current motor is a 3.5hp 2stroke from the 70's. I've cleaned the carb, changed everything on it that doesn't require completely rebuilding the engine, etc, and it still won't idle / run at low RPM, always smokes like a banshee on startup, is loud as poo poo, is surprisingly heavy for a 2stroke, etc. Running it in the harbor is an exercise in flipping from in gear back to neutral to keep speeds low enough. Add in that it's heavy enough and the pull cord rough enough that my wife can't really manhandle it onto the transom or start it herself, and fixing it just isn't worth it. The lightweight 4 strokes available today are still 45+lbs, and those ones don't have a reverse gear - you have to spin the entire motor around, which doesn't work with our boat. Okay, the smallest with a reverse is like 4hp, but weighs 55+lbs dry, which my wife won't be able to handle, and she wants to be able to go out for a sail with her friends. What to do you ask?

Turns out, electric outboards are a realistic thing for our use case. I've ordered an ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 Plus, which is a 1kW (3hp equivalent, though how they determine that I don't know) with an ~1200Wh battery pack. It's ~45lbs, but the battery pops off the top (~25lbs?) and then you pull the motor itself off, so nice and easy. It should be able to do 4 knts at full tilt, and has ~1H 10min run time at that speed. Dropping to 25% throttle should get 2knts @ 10+ hours. Given that we'll need it for all of about 10 minutes out of and into the harbor, I don't have range concerns. They make a version that we could leave the prop in the water and recharge the battery when under sail, but given we do a decent amount of racing the motor will just be stowed during that time so we didn't go for that feature. Love how it handles reverse - twist the throttle one way for forward, the opposite for reverse.

It should be here in a week and a half or so - can't wait. I'm excited to not have gas onboard anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://margaritavilleatsea.com/

This appears to be a, not really sure, I think Jimmy Buffett is still alive, so not dancing on his grave, but, a little piece of me died inside seeing some promotional video for this cruise ship

That is all

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
As long as Jimmy's getting paid, I guess. When a pirate looks at 80 he's gotta think about his retirement

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Hadlock posted:

I went down a rabbit hole recently and ran across this, Anker "portable generator" (it's a battery) 545, 778wh thing

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerhouse-Generator-Flashlight-Emergencies/dp/B08LYMJJD5/

$700 kind of pricey but it has the 120v 500w inverter, 12v out and all the charging stuff baked into one device

Then I saw this, near the bottom, left column

1.5 hours of margarita making. Assuming 45 seconds blend time per marg, that's 120 margs, so you'd probably need one of these devices for every 12 people on your boat

When not blending, will run your mini fridge for 11 hours to keep the ice from melting

And I guess it's got an "Anderson port" whatever the hell that is, some 12v input you can buy an MC4 solar adapter for, it'll accept up to 120w charging input from a solar panel (presumably 1x18v @ 120w?) edit: 12-28v

Double edit: the reason why I'm calling out this particular model, is most power things can only output 200-250w continuously, this model will output 500w, which will actually run a 400w blender trying to grind up ice

While it is good to know how many margs you will get out of an appliance, you can get a 1000w inverter for less than $200 so assuming you already have batteries this seems silly.

My current lithium battery setup isn't really ready to push the 80a I'd need to run my Ninja though so it stays at home and I shave a drink at a time. Better ice consistency than any home blender will give you anyway~

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Hadlock posted:

This appears to be a, not really sure, I think Jimmy Buffett is still alive, so not dancing on his grave, but, a little piece of me died inside seeing some promotional video for this cruise ship

That is all

He is literally a billionaire due to all of his restaurants and other ventures

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wow I had no idea he was within spitting distance of Paul McCartney Beatles wealth status, that is crazy :tviv:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

Wow I had no idea he was within spitting distance of Paul McCartney Beatles wealth status, that is crazy :tviv:

Boomers have tremendous spending power.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Anyone have recommendations for a temporary over-the-side ladder to help get swimmers back in a wakeboat? I have a swim platform but there is one member of my family that really has a lot of difficulty using it.

I was planning on installing a a telescoping ladder that mounts under the swim platform but the repair guy at the marina strongly advised me not to as "they're lovely and dont work"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it's just for one summer, two lengths of 3/8" rope knotted at 18" intervals, and then go grab a 10' section of 1x4 oak and trim it into 7 x 16.5" sections, with 3/8" holes on either side, with the holes reamed/wallered out slightly

Pine is cheaper and might work but if they're heavy enough to need a ladder, might need to upgrade to 2x4 (1.5x3.25)

Without the wood the rope collapses and your foot gets stuck/pinched

The problem with non-swim ladders is that when you put your weight on them, your wrist is the pivot point and your whole body wants to pivot under them/under the boat. This doesn't make any sense but the first time you try it, you'll understand

PVC tubing supposedly works too but seems janky as gently caress, never tried that. Lots of boats have wooden plank rope ladders stuffed deep in the lazarette though

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 5, 2022

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The downside to rope boarding ladders is they don’t stand off the hull. If your hull has a lot of flare it’s not a big deal, but a newer slab-sided Beneteau is going to be a challenge because the next rung is plastered against the hull. We have one of these cheapos and it’s fine, has successfully rescued a few people from the bay over the years, and folds flat for easy stowage.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

That is all

My mom and her ex-husband almost bought a lot in a Margaritaville 55+ community in Florida. I'm glad they didn't.

https://www.latitudemargaritaville.com/

I mean, hell, get paid Jimmy. Fleece those boomers for all they've got.

First Time Caller posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a temporary over-the-side ladder to help get swimmers back in a wakeboat? I have a swim platform but there is one member of my family that really has a lot of difficulty using it.

I was planning on installing a a telescoping ladder that mounts under the swim platform but the repair guy at the marina strongly advised me not to as "they're lovely and dont work"

I've got one of those telescoping ladders on the swim platform on my 17' Scout, and it works well enough. The big deal is being able to mount it properly. I was able to through bolt mine with a plate on the backside to ensure that it stays in place, and not relying on screws or toggle anchors.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 6, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My mom and her ex-husband almost bought a lot in a Margaritaville 55+ community in Florida. I'm glad they didn't.

https://www.latitudemargaritaville.com/

This sounds like the next "the villages" swingers retiree homestead

I had just assumed his musical career began and ended with "Margaritaville" and a handful of others, simply because nobody in my friend/age group had ever heard of the guy

Mildly curious if his net worth is enough to buy every parcel of land in key west

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hadlock posted:

I had just assumed his musical career began and ended with "Margaritaville" and a handful of others, simply because nobody in my friend/age group had ever heard of the guy

Mildly curious if his net worth is enough to buy every parcel of land in key west

you're thinking of Miami ("made enough money to buy Miami / But I pissed it away so fast") and probably not since he has to compete with the mob

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

I mean, if you're not friends with a bunch of boomer parrot heads, or live in his hometown/graduated from his HS alma mater like I do, I don't blame you for not knowing much about him.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I decided I'm finally gonna stop putting it off and go take sailing lessons at Cal Sailing Club.

Unfortunately I decided that when my next two weekends are booked with loving weddings, but EVENTUALLY I'll be capsizing myself in the filthy waters of the San Francisco Bay.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

They’ve cleaned up a lot over the last couple decades. Still cold af though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

First Time Caller posted:

The under platform ones tend to rip out of the fiberglass and do in fact suck.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Today I decided to clean out gunk from the pre-filter on the freshwater pump. I opened it and immediately learned two things. 1: when the tanks are full really quite a lot of water pours out there, and 2: don't lose the gasket if you wanna stop the flood.

Probably 50L of water in the bilge before i found the gasket and got it back together. So most of my evening was wasted on mopping that all up. Live and learn.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well this sure is interesting.....People must want out of Cuba really bad, this boat looks like it was hobbled together in less than a day

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=5443253269059699&set=pcb.5443255095726183

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The water there is about 75-80 degrees so the trick is to build something resembling a sturdy pool float that can drift 90 miles over 72 hours to get within swimming distance of key west. The biggest risk is heatstroke and dehydration, not drowning or hypothermia

I forget but I think the loophole says if you make it to dry land you can legally apply for asylum, so the coast guard picks up people in the water and returns them back to their island without going to land first. Or something like that

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I live in Florida so I know all about that part, I'm just kind of amazed at the ingenuity because people in Cuba don't have poo poo to work with yet they managed to get a diesel engine into a boat made of styrofoam pieces

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well this sure is interesting.....People must want out of Cuba really bad, this boat looks like it was hobbled together in less than a day

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=5443253269059699&set=pcb.5443255095726183

There's a lot of ingenuity that goes into making rafts to escape Cuba.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/fl-cuban-rafts-on-display-and-preserved-20170120-story.html

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah when safety and efficiency and lifespan of your, erm, vessel is not a factor in construction and there is sufficient desperation you can honestly make anything work.

Like, if you have 4 of those little battery powered hand fans and plastic bags you can no doubt make a workable motor or some poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh I just saw another video, yeah that's like a 10hp diesel, impressive

I was reading the other day, fishermen are elated that the government is going to allow them up to 10hp gas motors so that they don't have to row everywhere. I guess outboard motors have been banned for years for obvious reasons

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
So I got the lithium battery for my dual battery setup. When the engine is running off of it the volt meter was erratic showing 8 to 16 volts when normally it sits steady at 13-14v. I switched back to the stock battery and it went back to normal. I'm guessing the stator doesn't like the lithium battery, does that sound right?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any chance a charging circuit (solar, alternator, shore power) was attached

Attaching a lifepo4 to a lead acid charging system could result in any number of things, charging a lithium battery is so efficient it can look like the charger is trying to charge a short to ground, to a badly programmed charger, triggering a safety pull back

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I have a smart 2 bank battery charger hooked up to both batteries but being out on the lake, it wasn't plugged in at the time.

The lithium battery was fully charged prior to this, so maybe the stator was just trying to keep it topped off?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Hadlock posted:

Oh I just saw another video, yeah that's like a 10hp diesel, impressive

I was reading the other day, fishermen are elated that the government is going to allow them up to 10hp gas motors so that they don't have to row everywhere. I guess outboard motors have been banned for years for obvious reasons

They've caught up to 1950's Alaska!

https://www.cwb.org/program-boats/admirable

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Does anyone have any good resources on actually installing running rigging? In theory I should have things like a cunningham, reef lines, and an outhaul rigged but my boat has gone through at least 2 owners who had no idea what they were doing, and I only barely have some idea of what I'm doing so I'm having trouble visualizing what needs to happen to get everything installed properly.

I have plenty of blocks that in theory should be doing something, but very few places to cleat a line, run a line down the boom to get to my mast, etc.

All the main stuff is up and working properly (main sheet, traveller, halyard, boom vang, an extremely improvised and crap outhaul), so it's sailable but not very adjustable, and the inability to put a reef in is limiting when I'm willing to go out at the moment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Running rigging on that boat can be as simple or complex as you want to make it depending on your skill and budget. If you have infinity money you can get low friction rings and setup 3d jib cars for better upwind performance

Can't find any good pics of the cockpit of a mirage 27 but looks like your main sheet leads back to the cockpit, either the transom or the companionway, maybe with or without traveler?

Cunningham and reefing points are nice to have but not strictly necessary especially in light winds

Not all boats come with all features, you can get super racy or super simple, there's no one design class for your boat so you can kind of do whatever. If you want to see what a turbo boat looks like, check out "j/125 hamachi" and copy what they did. But for margarita sailing you don't need a Cunningham

Happy to review any ideas you have

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh I see what you're asking for

I'd go look at a rigging diagram for a j/105, j/70 or melges 20 or 24 or 32, or j/24

Places like harken will have rigging diagrams for the most popular, competitive one designs, defender.com probably has copies too

Since your boat has a symetric Spinnaker I'd look at the J/24 as a model for tweakable running rigging. A well setup j/24 ought to have both main and jib Cunningham. I would not copy their janky Sanchez block for the jib personally

The j/70 is basically a scaled down version of the j/105 rigging, but they both have asymmetric spinnakers and retractable bow spirit which isn't applicable to your boat, but otherwise they represent a really simple but effective layout that is so good it hasn't changed in 30 years

https://www.harken.com/en/support/one-design-deck-layouts/j24/

Edit here's all of them, I guess

https://www.harken.com/en/support/one-design-deck-layouts/

Note the part numbers included on the diagrams

Any parts for the J/70, 80, 88 ought to be more than bullet proof for your application, the 70 is only 23' but they race them, hard, all day long in SF without equipment failures, should hold up to margarita or even spirited sailing in your area for decades to come

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 11, 2022

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any tips on getting sunscreen off black trim and steering wheel?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For trim, I’ve used meguiars ultimate black to good effect in the past. What’s the steering wheel made of?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Vinyl, if I had to guess

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any tips on getting sunscreen off black trim and steering wheel?

Don't let anything besides coppertone sport 50 on the boat

All that expensive women's brand stuff has gobs of lotion in it, and some chemical that breaks down leaving free iron that rusts pink. I had some goons sister in law on our boat, took a full year for hundreds of faint pink handprints to finally weather away

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Don't let anything besides coppertone sport 50 on the boat

All that expensive women's brand stuff has gobs of lotion in it, and some chemical that breaks down leaving free iron that rusts pink. I had some goons sister in law on our boat, took a full year for hundreds of faint pink handprints to finally weather away

Noted, thanks for the recommendation!

Cat Hatter posted:

If I was looking at a new boat, I'd look at a Yamaha. In my experience, jet boats are pretty nice to drive and not bad to work on. I had a Sea Doo and to my understanding they're the high strung Italian sports car to Yamaha's Civic R that actually works. Even then, the only real problem I had with the Sea Doo was that most dealerships only work on PWCs.

Thanks again for this recommendation, we ended up with a new AR195 and after our fifth outing my wife said "this is the perfect boat" and I told her it was due to a recommendation on a dead gay forum which only brought up more questions but she loves the boat so

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Thanks again for this recommendation, we ended up with a new AR195 and after our fifth outing my wife said "this is the perfect boat" and I told her it was due to a recommendation on a dead gay forum which only brought up more questions but she loves the boat so

Glad to hear it! When I sold my jetboat for something with more than 4 seats I had to get an I/O to get something with the speed I wanted within my meager budget and I really miss being able to set the reversing bucket to half for docking so I don't have to keep going in/out of gear to modulate speed. My dad lives tucked into a corner on his lake and reversing out of there is remarkably fast even at idle. Plus it was nice not to ever worry about forgetting to fully trim up the outdrive and drag the skeg up the ramp at the boat launch.

Also, Protip for anyone with a spouse and trailers their boat: teach them to either drive a trailer down the ramp or a boat onto a trailer. Pretty much every family I ever see has one person that does both and they end up tying up two ramps so one person can stand on the dock holding the boat while the other one goes to get the car.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Cat Hatter posted:

Glad to hear it! When I sold my jetboat for something with more than 4 seats I had to get an I/O to get something with the speed I wanted within my meager budget and I really miss being able to set the reversing bucket to half for docking so I don't have to keep going in/out of gear to modulate speed. My dad lives tucked into a corner on his lake and reversing out of there is remarkably fast even at idle. Plus it was nice not to ever worry about forgetting to fully trim up the outdrive and drag the skeg up the ramp at the boat launch.

Also, Protip for anyone with a spouse and trailers their boat: teach them to either drive a trailer down the ramp or a boat onto a trailer. Pretty much every family I ever see has one person that does both and they end up tying up two ramps so one person can stand on the dock holding the boat while the other one goes to get the car.

My wife has been maneuvering our horse trailer for years so she's the trailer pro in our family. You're right that it's so much easier with two people. She's gotten some comments at the launch from other guys saying they're envious that she's able to do it so well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't know if I mentioned it here yet but I got my first boat a few months ago, and having a ton of fun with it so far.

14' Rabco skiff, tri hull, super stable and will float in a puddle :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
nice, the tiller makes it look like you've got an AA gun for mosquitos