Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Hawkins Strong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Captain Monkey posted:

To add to the image posting..

Tag yourself. I'm the bird guy chilling underground on the right.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

You could have El or possibly Professor maX ascend to anti-upside down, and shape that into a force for good like 001 shaped the upside down. Probably would be dumb but would at least be unexpected.

Meanwhile I'd be happy with "The good guys" being the military with a bunch of anti-aircraft autocannons and artillery just holding down the fort on the other side of the hawkins gate.

Re the first part, they could do that, but then that has to be the game ender. Once they get to anti-upside down and get powered up, that has to be the end of all the tension I think. But this world is more like Warhammer 40k (or so many others), where you have random humans with psychic powers that can fight the demons and the evil/chaos gods, but they don't get any help from good gods or angels, because there are none. It's just the material plane and the warp/upside down. There's never any corresponding good dimension.

Regarding the second part, despite some of the crew's success in defeating the demons with mortal weapons over the course of the series, it's been repeatedly shown that even a single demon dog is completely unmanageable by a modern military. It would feel weird if the military was suddenly effective enough to control any kind of incursion. Especially as serious a one that we appear to have now.

But don't get me wrong, I'd like to see either (or both).

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

RVT posted:

Re the first part, they could do that, but then that has to be the game ender. Once they get to anti-upside down and get powered up, that has to be the end of all the tension I think. But this world is more like Warhammer 40k (or so many others), where you have random humans with psychic powers that can fight the demons and the evil/chaos gods, but they don't get any help from good gods or angels, because there are none. It's just the material plane and the warp/upside down. There's never any corresponding good dimension.

Regarding the second part, despite some of the crew's success in defeating the demons with mortal weapons over the course of the series, it's been repeatedly shown that even a single demon dog is completely unmanageable by a modern military. It would feel weird if the military was suddenly effective enough to control any kind of incursion. Especially as serious a one that we appear to have now.

But don't get me wrong, I'd like to see either (or both).

You're probably right concerning the show's established cosmology, but I am bored with grimdark. Thematically speaking, though, in DnD gaining access to higher planar allies doesn't mean the game is over...it just means the Dungeon Master can now start throwing the good monsters at you. Do I have the mind of a 80's coke addled Saturday morning cartoon producer and want to see El got full loving Rainbow Brite and ride on the back of a celestial lion? Yes. Absolutely.

Per your second observation: small arms does gently caress all against Demogorgans and Demodogs. This is true. If poo poo got bad enough, the Air Force will come in with the fast movers and Vecna and can do gently caress all against a full-air bomb.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No more eyeballs always makes me lol

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Marsupial Ape posted:

You're probably right concerning the show's established cosmology, but I am bored with grimdark. Thematically speaking, though, in DnD gaining access to higher planar allies doesn't mean the game is over...it just means the Dungeon Master can now start throwing the good monsters at you. Do I have the mind of a 80's coke addled Saturday morning cartoon producer and want to see El got full loving Rainbow Brite and ride on the back of a celestial lion? Yes. Absolutely.

Yeah, I mean I loved Diablo 3 cause the "good" guys finally started really helping out. Not that it's the height of story telling or anything, but you just so rarely see that. Or the movie Legion, and then the TV show that follows it up, I forget what it's called. But you can have both sides and if you make the good side still kinda hosed up, or too prideful to be smart, you can keep things kinda interesting for a bit. But then you either have to make the main characters as powerful as those guys (Diablo 3 approach), or tell a smaller, lower power story within the greater conflict (Legion, etc). Not quite as familiar with DnD stuff, but I imagine you'd still have to use one of those two approaches.

Kinda like Star Wars, either it's Jedi vs Sith story, or it's a regular people vs regular people story. If a Jedi shows up, then whichever side he is on auto wins. But you get what I mean, and none of this is ever happening in ST, so I'll let it drop. It would be so cool though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

live with fruit posted:

Is Wuthering Heights not her biggest song? At least up until six weeks ago.

Yes. Kate Bush got a UK number 1 with her debut single in 1978 when she was still in her teens. Running Up That Hill was her second chart-topper - but it didn't get there until this year, having peaked at 3 on its initial release and 6 when a remix was released in 2012. Her gap of 44 years between UK number 1 hits is the longest ever; she also became the oldest female artist to top the UK charts. The song itself also set the record for the longest time taken from initial release to reach number 1, at 37 years.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WTF the Netflix Merch store won't ship Hellfire Club shirts to Canada?

Well that's just loving dumb and disappointing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Speaking of art

https://twitter.com/kylelambert/status/1544026230965428224?s=21&t=yFfMeNbAYeFJJibkBcv1bg

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 6, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lamont posted:

hah found it, knew I didn't just make this poo poo up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.A.T.A.L.

Whoever designed that was either a masterful troll or incredibly mentally broken. Probably both.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Per your second observation: small arms does gently caress all against Demogorgans and Demodogs. This is true. If poo poo got bad enough, the Air Force will come in with the fast movers and Vecna and can do gently caress all against a full-air bomb.

The kids get celestial rings of power which turn them into Care Bears. Meanwhile there is always bigger guns. Just the guns behave with 80's logic, they deal plot damage when wielded by protagonists and no damage when wielded by mob characters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
https://twitter.com/Lie_chee/status/1544383819956068360

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JFC

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

Whoever designed that was either a masterful troll or incredibly mentally broken. Probably both.

The kids get celestial rings of power which turn them into Care Bears. Meanwhile there is always bigger guns. Just the guns behave with 80's logic, they deal plot damage when wielded by protagonists and no damage when wielded by mob characters.

If this series doesn't end with all the kids plus Suzie performing a group Care Bear Stare, then gently caress this poo poo, the Duffers ruined by childhood.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CainFortea posted:

I hope S5 cuts to Lucas just hazzing the poo poo out of the basketball team all the time.

Nah he'll make them all play D&D as a team-building exercise, they'll loving love it, and he'll use it as cover to introduce the Upside-Down to them and teach them how to fight demodogs and demogorgons and poo poo. The team breaks up after a particularly fierce game of Labyrinth.

Also, was I the only one screaming at El to take the goddamn collar and detonator with her when Papa died? Cuz that would've been very handy against Vecna.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Oracle posted:

Also, was I the only one screaming at El to take the goddamn collar and detonator with her when Papa died? Cuz that would've been very handy against Vecna.

Nah, man. Can't bring physical objects with you into the mind battles.

Upside down? Sure. But piggyback battle inside Max's mind? No dice.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

LiterallyATomato posted:

Nah, man. Can't bring physical objects with you into the mind battles.

Upside down? Sure. But piggyback battle inside Max's mind? No dice.

Then why weren't they naked.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Oracle posted:

Other than the obvious, would say as it's just a projection of their mind, that's how their mind is visualizing itself at that moment.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slayerjerman posted:

El's scenes and wardrobe were strange in the last episode. It was like they were pointing out that she's a woman now with the comparison to her younger self, especially with her floating in the salt tub surrounded by boys. The camera framing was constantly on her chest... My wife was like wtf going on with this scene? Boobs.

I agree the cast is getting too old, especially Will and Mike, but they seemed to make it work with That 70s Show somehow. Sadie Sink is like 20 or something, and they kept giving her oversized clothes to keep her younger looking.

A time fast forward might be needed.

But they can’t make that work with Will—that haircut has the opposite effect. The Eleven thing was probably something nobody noticed in time and then decided the best thing was to ignore it, like the dick outlines in Tron. Just have everybody act normally and with dignity and your drama can keep going.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007
Regarding that outfit, this doesn't address everything mentioned, but I kind of felt like they were trying to inspire cosplays and what not a la Eggo Hospital gown El. I can totally see this Halloween people dressing up with a floral shirt, khakis, and some pizza glasses. The outfit itself is relatively simple too. She was wearing the same clothes in the 2 days later follow up as well, which first off ew, but it also reinforces that concept in my mind.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
All that Kate Bush talk last page and no mention of Babooshka?

Sure it's definitely one of those songs where people don't pay attention to the lyrics of the verses (but they should because it's a wonderful tale of "gently caress around and find out"*), but it's a banger and the music video is delightfully bonkers.

*It's basically Escape (the pina colada song) but with a tragic rather than lighthearted denouement.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I definitely think we’ll see some Dustin/Patrick Swayze ghillie-suit-and-hoodie getups this Halloween, and some Maya Hawke commando gear—the beret especially.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Oracle posted:

They're children you weirdo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LiterallyATomato posted:

They're children you weirdo.

There was a pretty explicit IT reference in the scene where the balloons in the gym pop and are full of blood. I’m glad that’s the only one, honestly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Apparently Kate Bush has made about 2.5 million dollars from streaming alone since she owns all the copyrights to her songs.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

She also broke 3 Guiness World Records

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Good for her, great song and well deserved!

Also, there is probably an incredible amount of 80's bands that are extreamly jealous right now, and desperately hoping one of there songs is included in the 5th season.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

A bit on the nose but noticed how Vecna (when he was 'half' transformed, wandering around the upside down) had one blind eye, and of course has the hosed up hand. Vecna, indeed.

They could have fixed Eddie by having Dustin fall while escaping and injure himself, and be unable to get away, and having Eddie make the bats chase him in order to save Dustin. Instead he just kinda... rides off and dies for no reason?

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

The simple greatness of Will's painting, which anyone who knows what love is will understand*, is that apart from the super obvious (super adorable) stuff explained in the dialogue, it's just an updated version of his earlier drawing of the original party, with himself reinstated as wizard and El spun out into supposed commissioner of the painting. To unpack that, back in season 2 , Mike mentions to Max that El is their wizard and Will is their cleric. I'm sure at some point Will had to hear Mike's new vision of the party.

I think when a new season of ST is good it lets you see the old seasons in a different light, maybe even feel like a new direction it's taking the show was secretly there all along. S2 did that for me, S3 didn't, and S4 is starting to in a big way, and I bet it totally would with full a rewatch. The show's gotten long and I just don't have the time for a full rewatch anytime soon, maybe before S5, but this is a good example. Sure back then I got that Will didn't much like having his spot in his circle of friends taken by someone he hadn't yet met or cared for as a friend/sister, but it went over my head then (rightly, way back then, I'd argue) that clerics are, you know, generally supposed to be celibate.

*I'm sure #1 Will favorite song must still be Should I Stay or Should I Go, but that Black Mirror one sure fits the bill now.

Vecna's (and Mike's?) favorite song is Johanna from Sweeney Todd. Click to explain/ruin the joke or for beautiful love-at-first-sight song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yFPYFcVZfE

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 6, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kaedric posted:

They could have fixed Eddie by having Dustin fall while escaping and injure himself, and be unable to get away, and having Eddie make the bats chase him in order to save Dustin. Instead he just kinda... rides off and dies for no reason?

Eddie doesn't have perfect knowledge of what else is happening. All he knows is that the longer he can keep the bats distracted, the more chance of success Steven, Nancy, and Robin have. He chose to do the risky thing to give them even more of a chance.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I thought it was a fine writing choice. Eddie was fighting an internal battle as much as an external one, and he wanted to prove his worth to himself. It's good character development and as much as it sucks to lose him on the show, his arc was "complete" and made good sense.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah I thought it was a fine writing choice. Eddie was fighting an internal battle as much as an external one, and he wanted to prove his worth to himself. It's good character development and as much as it sucks to lose him on the show, his arc was "complete" and made good sense.

:hai:

Yeah, he knew that defending the trailer wasn't going to work, and had a moment of realizing that going back through the gateway would be the same as running again.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Also, I thought the scene with Dustin and Eddie's uncle at the end fell really flat when it absolutely shouldn't have. I don't know if it was Dustin's actor, the writing, or both, but what should have been a pretty powerful scene really bombed. Maybe it was partially due to the extremely fake limp the actor was told to have? I don't know but I was pretty disappointed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Noam Chomsky posted:

Tag yourself. I'm the bird guy chilling underground on the right.

That's an owlbear and they're magical ok!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

:hai:

Yeah, he knew that defending the trailer wasn't going to work, and had a moment of realizing that going back through the gateway would be the same as running again.

It's a shame he hadn't been around to play proper video games a decade or two later. He could've employed advanced kiting techniques to bait those bats back and forth with the guitar.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That Eddie poster is loving SICK.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
drat, all of those are rad af

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
That hairless chest on The Dive poster is shameful.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My family did a ST-themed Halloween 3 years ago and my twins were demigorgons for their first Halloween.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 12, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
We watched Stranger Things Part 2 this weekend and I am still confused. Did Vecna/Henry/One mind control the hivemind, merge himself with it somehow, or create the hivemind? Did the hivemind have any intelligence on its own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

CainFortea posted:

Eddie doesn't have perfect knowledge of what else is happening. All he knows is that the longer he can keep the bats distracted, the more chance of success Steven, Nancy, and Robin have. He chose to do the risky thing to give them even more of a chance.

Yes, from Eddie's perspective it is a fine decision. From a storytelling perspective, less so.

Imagine We see Vecna get set on fire and shot and have him disappear, then cut to Eddit making the same choice. Yes, Eddie thinks it is correct (ignore that the bats fall down when Vecna 'dies'), but audience members would all turn and look at each other like 'wtf?'. We can always justify it to ourselves afterwards, but it's sloppy/poor writing for this style of story.