Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

blatman posted:

if u can think of a good way to shuffle a deck of tarps to ensure proper randomization then id like to hear it

use 2 tarps. double blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Why did that storm make everything seem so green? Is it just a bizarre fluke of the clouds being just the right density or something?

(i'm not a smart fellow pls b kind)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Why did that storm make everything seem so green? Is it just a bizarre fluke of the clouds being just the right density or something?

(i'm not a smart fellow pls b kind)

Demon air

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Green is the color the sky turns in the south before the Jesus Funnel takes you up to see meemaw. As a kid that was always what we looked for to know if the tornado warning was serious or not. No idea what causes it though.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Demon air (farts)

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The cause of this phenomenon is called “atmospheric scattering” op

I don’t know poo poo about it but I know it’s called that because the sky turned purple for a while during Typhoon Hagibis when I was in Japan a couple of years ago

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Atmospheric scattering leads to tarp scattering

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

blatman posted:

if u can think of a good way to shuffle a deck of tarps to ensure proper randomization then id like to hear it

Blindfold someone and have them pull them out of a just incredibly large hat?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

what causes this green storm?

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/psu_radarmeteo/status/1544435195062910977?s=21

edit: the tweet links to a journal paper giving explanations for green thunderstorms.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/bams/74/11/1520-0477_1993_074_2185_gt_2_0_co_2.xml?tab_body=pdf

Luneshot has issued a correction as of 08:45 on Jul 6, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I'm not getting satisfactory answers to why it is green.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s green because while the Sun emits white light, the atmospheric conditions related to the storm preferentially pass green light.

hth

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's green because that's the color of money, and god is blessing us with wealth

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Platystemon posted:

It’s green because while the Sun emits white light, the atmospheric conditions related to the storm preferentially pass green light.

hth

:rolleyes:

Stereotype posted:

it's green because that's the color of money, and god is blessing us with wealth

:haibrow:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

1glitch0 posted:

I'm not getting satisfactory answers to why it is green.
Hulk angry!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It's green because of algae blooms

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

warpstone comet obviously

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Sometimes the sky just wants to dress up fancy. :shrug:

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

..EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM EDT /8 PM CDT/ THIS EVENING... ...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON EDT /11 AM CDT/ TO 8 PM EDT /7 PM CDT/ THURSDAY...
WHAT...For the Excessive Heat Warning, dangerously hot conditions with heat index values up to 111. For the Heat Advisory, heat index values up to 107 expected.

jfc

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sky is lava

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

carlos santana collapsed on stage in michigan because of the heat

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

jesus lmao, last night was fun

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

neat, thanks

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Thicc clouds.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Late to the party, but wanted to say that it's green because none of the not green colors are being reflected.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/KevinWLWT/status/1544804616830853123?s=20&t=K4SpLP94se01maSAxjyZug

Edit:
"Conditions just were not favorable for tornadoes today"

Iron Crowned has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Jul 6, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

nomad2020 posted:

Late to the party, but wanted to say that it's green because none of the not green colors are being reflected.

Nope the green is absorbed but yellow and blue are reflected

Edit: dumbass

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

is the reason the radar images are green because the storm is green? If the storm is really bad so that it's red on the radar will it be red outside?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i always assumed that big swinging arm going through the sky for the radar causing the cyclones tbqh

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

https://twitter.com/TwstdSkyStudios/status/1544512628793479169?s=20&t=vtqHi37tXcllCAzk7BUxIg

wtf just drove through Sioux Falls and regained all my source points

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i always assumed that big swinging arm going through the sky for the radar causing the cyclones tbqh

it is wild what people are allowed to get away with if they make up a title and say that they are a scientist. Dude walks up to me and says that he's a meteorologist, but when I ask he says that he studies the weather not meteors. Calls me a fool. A buffoon. Please, I know when I'm getting lied to, and I'll call them out for their bullshit and weather manipulation even if no one else will. I know those swinging arms are getting more and more common alongside derachos and hurricanes. Coincidence? no. not at all.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Nah that's what causes the sun and moon to go up and down.

This is why you should make daily sacrifices outside your local radar dish. You don't want the radar to suddenly decide to stop and the sun and moon just be stuck where ever they are.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

if you don't like the rain, stop making angels cry

:angel:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Cool - the Yukon is turning into California. It's a race to see how much of the territory will be burned down by lightning strikes during a heat wave before the floods and mudslides put out the fires. At least they haven't had a metre's worth of rain dumped on them like part of Australia.

- major highways have been closed or restricted to travelling in convoy behind pilot vehicles.
- residents advised to stay the gently caress home. If you must travel stock up on survival supplies first because you'll be on your own if poo poo happens.
- major fibre optic cable has been taken out by a fire, screwing up internet access. Then one of the telecoms had a wee problem with some maintenance and took their entire network of phone, text, and internet access off line for the better part of a day.

Friend of mine finished her job and left at the beginning of July. Made it out just in time.

:tif:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hexigrammus posted:

Cool - the Yukon is turning into California. It's a race to see how much of the territory will be burned down by lightning strikes during a heat wave before the floods and mudslides put out the fires. At least they haven't had a metre's worth of rain dumped on them like part of Australia.

Alaska is also on fire

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

jetz0r posted:

Alaska is also on fire

well yeah, trump just gave a speech there

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012