Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/brown_bear84/status/1544417684233883649?s=21&t=pYeLbzIWZsRrn3rRlZG4yw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wandler20 posted:

Yep, fireworks just started here again. gently caress off with that poo poo after the 4th.

Fireworks really just bring out the worst in people. Like a legit 50pt drop in IQ.

https://twitter.com/heckyessica/status/1544512083701661696?s=21&t=PPWqa1tralOK3FLXj6jR9w

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Fireworks really just bring out the worst in people. Like a legit 50pt drop in IQ.

~16 to 20 year old me is very jealous I wasn't there.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Was it here people mentioned that it feels like fireworks have become a multi day event unlike in childhood?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/882036009789272064

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

~16 to 20 year old me is very jealous I wasn't there.

I’m old and boring now and all I see are medical bills and home and car insurance deductibles.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

I’m old and boring now and all I see are medical bills and home and car insurance deductibles.

Oh it should be noted that I was even more of a moron at 16 than I am now. But drat I would have loved that back then if it didn't kill anyone.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I maybe need to get a new car soon, depending on what the mechanic quotes me for a bunch of repairs I need on our little crappy Nissan Sentra. I'm going electric this time, and I'm trying to figure out where to even start. Does anyone have an EV here? I've mostly been looking at the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Nissan Leaf, or Kia EV6. I'm staying away from Teslas for multiple reasons. Anyone have experience with any of these, or should I take this to AI? I never post there, so I guess I figured I'd start here.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

Was it here people mentioned that it feels like fireworks have become a multi day event unlike in childhood?

I feel like around here it's become really noticeable the past fifteen years or so, but I couldn't tell you how much of that is actually true or that's just when I noticed it for the first time. Even if that's not the case, the volume of it has definitely increased; I know one person in the area was shooting them off as early as a week ago

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Do you have a compatible fast charge outlet at home? If it is an EV and not a hybrid you will likely want one so you are not waiting for it to charge between trips. What do you plan to do if you need to take a long road trip well outside the range of the EV without fast charger infrastructure?

EVs are great but right now there is a little more planning and cost involved to make life simpler.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm sure it varies from state to state, but MI legalized sales of fireworks 10 years ago and that has definitely had a huge effect since everyone has easy access to them now.

Before that people would usually drive to Indiana to buy whatever stupid/loud bullshit they wanted.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

Do you have a compatible fast charge outlet at home? If it is an EV and not a hybrid you will likely want one so you are not waiting for it to charge between trips. What do you plan to do if you need to take a long road trip well outside the range of the EV without fast charger infrastructure?

EVs are great but right now there is a little more planning and cost involved to make life simpler.

I need to install a fast charge outlet in my garage. I have to double check, but I think Illinois subsidizes this. I have a regular Subaru Forester that I plan to keep and would use for long road trips. Any electric car I get has enough range to cover my daily commuting. I'm willing to commit to the extra upfront costs now to switch to EV. The feds also provide a $7,500 credit on most EVs right now, which is going to help offset a lot of these additional things I need to do.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Moving tomorrow, still packing to do, long work day ahead of me...feelin' fine.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

ozymandius1024 posted:

I'm sure it varies from state to state, but MI legalized sales of fireworks 10 years ago and that has definitely had a huge effect since everyone has easy access to them now.

Before that people would usually drive to Indiana to buy whatever stupid/loud bullshit they wanted.

Glendale AZ, home of the superb owl next year, had 4 house fires within a few hours of each other on July 4th. Use of fireworks was already restricted outside of certain dates and times but it wasn’t enforced so people let poo poo off all the time. Of course after all the fires this week they are asking people to narc on their neighbors so they can issue the new higher fines. I think most people would rather have their face blown off than deal with the po po.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I maybe need to get a new car soon,

Oh, so that was your house.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

https://twitter.com/heckyessica/status/1544512083701661696?s=21&t=PPWqa1tralOK3FLXj6jR9w

When will Putin's bloodlust be sated?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I maybe need to get a new car soon, depending on what the mechanic quotes me for a bunch of repairs I need on our little crappy Nissan Sentra. I'm going electric this time, and I'm trying to figure out where to even start. Does anyone have an EV here? I've mostly been looking at the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Nissan Leaf, or Kia EV6. I'm staying away from Teslas for multiple reasons. Anyone have experience with any of these, or should I take this to AI? I never post there, so I guess I figured I'd start here.

I don’t have one yet but I’ve been looking for the past six months. From what I can see, a lot of the more desirable models either are hard to get or have anywhere from $500 to $10,000 in additional dealer markup over sticker. We went out and saw an Ioniq 5 and it was nice but I think I’m just going to get on the 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning list when it reopens. The Chevy Bolt just had a price cut on the 2022 and 2023 models. Teslas are Teslas.

Here’s the thread that helps me keep track of EVs:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932649

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

The feds also provide a $7,500 credit on most EVs right now, which is going to help offset a lot of these additional things I need to do.

I don't believe you mentioned a GM or Toyota but both of those ran out of the federal EV tax credits.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

wandler20 posted:

I don't believe you mentioned a GM or Toyota but both of those ran out of the federal EV tax credits.

Yea, unfortunately I kind of crossed the Chevy Bolt off my list because they don't have the credit anymore.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Aw Toyota doesn't have the tax credits anymore? I was kinda eyeing the RAV4 Prime to replace my 2002 Highlander.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I live boonies adjacent, so fireworks are a year round thing for me. The hillbillies surrounding me have shooting ranges on their property, so more often than not I hear people shooting shotguns for hours at a time with the occasional large tannerite explosion.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Aw Toyota doesn't have the tax credits anymore? I was kinda eyeing the RAV4 Prime to replace my 2002 Highlander.

You might be able to get a partial credit as they just ran out in June.

quote:

As things stand, Toyota's tax credits will be phased out gradually over a one-year period. Bloomberg notes that the value of the subsidy will be halved twice before it expires. However, Toyota will still be able to take advantage of incentives at the state level.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My uncle used to buy all kinds of fireworks, drive across state lines etc. Then he worked over 4th of July Weekend innthe ER like the year after a bunch of stuff got legalized and basically never bought anything more than sparklers after that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My mom was a reporter and was on the crime beat for a good portion of that, so she read a lot of police and fire department reports, and every year around the 4th she'd have warnings for me that were "don't try and make your own fireworks by mixing gun powder in a blender."

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, this week I poke around in the 4th's ER admissions for funsies when I'm doing work in hospital systems and boy do you see some doosies going from that to the ones with hand xrays.

ICD10 code W39.XXXA, Exposure to inanimate mechanical forces, discharge of Firework initial encounter.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

W78.683B - duct taped a bunch of fireworks together to make a multiple rocket launcher on back of a Toyota pickup. When lit up exploded all at once blowing glass into face. Toyota pickup just needed new glass.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
125k if you want the f150 electric now and don’t wanna wait!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I just want a loving Maverick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

125k if you want the f150 electric now and don’t wanna wait!

I had to google this out of curiosity because I was like, oh an F150, that's gotta be pretty expensive regardless and I wonder what the range is. The base range is 230 miles which seems great for an electric pickup, and the price range is pretty hilarious. $42k base, up to $93k for the platinum extended range version.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

BigPaddy posted:

Glendale AZ, home of the superb owl next year, had 4 house fires within a few hours of each other on July 4th. Use of fireworks was already restricted outside of certain dates and times but it wasn’t enforced so people let poo poo off all the time. Of course after all the fires this week they are asking people to narc on their neighbors so they can issue the new higher fines. I think most people would rather have their face blown off than deal with the po po.

Aurora, CO would tell you to hold its beer but it’s pretty sure it can light these puppies one handed:

https://twitter.com/KyleClark/status/1544487544078979072?s=20&t=1NTI90TOrFlMlvRcO_gu4A

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Skwirl posted:

I want either a Maverick or a Lightning and it'll probably be 2024 before that's realistic and it's kind of annoying.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

If you buy a Toyota before October you still get the full credit. They just hit the 200,000th vehicle so they start unwinding the credit over the course of a year starting the next quarter (10/2022 thru 9/2023). No credit starting in October 2023.

EVs, like almost all cars, are really hard to get right now. The Bolt is probably the best deal even though it no longer qualifies for the federal tax credit. The Leaf is technically cheaper after factoring in the tax credit, but it doesn't have active battery management so the batteries tend to have issues more than other EVs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

I had to google this out of curiosity because I was like, oh an F150, that's gotta be pretty expensive regardless and I wonder what the range is. The base range is 230 miles which seems great for an electric pickup, and the price range is pretty hilarious. $42k base, up to $93k for the platinum extended range version.

Yep. I want BlueCruise but I’m not adding basically $20,000 for it. Add it to the $39k Pro line for $2000 like you do the other lines. Otherwise, the Pro is good for me.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I think Toyota still has the credit because they were mainly selling regular hybrids and not Plug-in hybrids which would count towards the tax credit. I could be wrong, those RAV4 Primes sold really well.

GM, Tesla, and Nissan definitely no longer have the tax break.

Anywho, I drive a Kia Niro EV and I read and post in the AI EV thread, it’s a great resource.

Edit: saw your other post that this is a recent thing for Toyota

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Alas me buying a car isn't likely to happen until 2023 at the earliest.

Funny enough I was up in Seattle a couple weekends ago & saw one my friends that works for a Toyota dealership. He is a full convert & has several Toyotas in his garage. His daily driver? A 2021 Jeep Wrangler PHEV. :v:

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Every fireworks video features people downright shocked that the explosives they bought are exploding

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Amy Pole Her posted:

This article's commentary on the Trump response vs the Biden response is insane though

politico

checks out

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
In addition to a bunch of folks getting stopped for drunk driving with their kids, we also get at least 1 fireworks related injury around the 4th.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

The last time I really ever played with fireworks was several years ago and we were all launching mortars and had to tell one guy he couldn’t light his anymore because they kept exploding in the mortar tubes and exploding at us and we thought they were just lovely bootleg fireworks that didn’t work properly.

Nope, he was just too drunk and kept putting them in the tubes upside-down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Skwirl posted:

You can have one today, all you have to do is pony up that 150% markup :sigh: