Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

TychoCelchuuu posted:

That's an urumi, from South Asia.

Lol I'm an idiot. Don't mind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Laughing my rear end off at the bad villains being turned into skeletons. Looked like Blade twenty years ago.

Or the original Spider-man lol, that was sure something

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The first 25 minutes of that was absolutely stunning, coulda made even more of that imo. I would have happily spent the whole episode with Aisha and Hasan. Lmao at the lovely baddies and world-ending catastrophe getting punked out before we even get to the finale. I'm interested to see what they've got left for the last episode considering most of the conflict is done.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Skeleton suprise counts as failed terrigenesis in my books, and the final episode will probably be Kamala and Kamran going through the crystal cocoon process and at least Kamala coming out with fully realized powers

No idea how they are gonna wrap this up in 40 mins next week in a satisfactory manner

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I don't know... I love the comic to bits, but this show...

The characters are all extremely likable and have great chemistry, but for my taste the show moved far too quickly into cosmic stuff and other dimensions and time travel and all that. I really would've liked it to stay more grounded, just have some low-key adventures with Kamala and her troubles with her family and friends as a more steady focus instead of rushing off to Karachi. Or maybe just have more episodes and spend a few more episodes in New Jersey before leaving the country; six episodes seems extremely rushed.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

The first 25 minutes of that was absolutely stunning, coulda made even more of that imo. I would have happily spent the whole episode with Aisha and Hasan. Lmao at the lovely baddies and world-ending catastrophe getting punked out before we even get to the finale. I'm interested to see what they've got left for the last episode considering most of the conflict is done.

Figure the final conflict will be with Damage Control

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Back to the Future reference in ep 2 just paid off, so I'm betting the Terminator reference last week means we're getting time-travelling villains next week.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Uhhh ok didn't expect turbo-skeletification but hey I guess that's one way to make it absolutely clear they weren't just teleported away to some other location. :sweatdrop:

Yeah really wishing there were more episodes of this. Every second of airtime just feels so precious now.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I love extended flashback sequences, they are too few in media. Gave us time to really appreciate that these are real people, and get attached to them. Aisha could sleep in my rose garden any day.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Firebert posted:

Or the original Spider-man lol, that was sure something

I got more Raiders of the Lost Ark vibes

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Episode wasn't bad, but weakest of the series.

Everyone posted:

Figure the final conflict will be with Damage Control

You mean the bumbling idiots that couldn't keep the djinn locked up for more than a couple of days? Not impressed

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
All the bangle/superhero stuff is very weak, but the stuff about partition, family, and Pakistani culture is very strong. Bits of it remind me of stuff like Blinded by the Light which I think was referenced at the end.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Man I am loving this show! The superhero/cosmic stuff really is just to set up further family/character stuff, as it should be in a show like this. I'm really digging that the main Veil stuff appears to be resolved already.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress damage control?!?! just goddamned drone striked an entire US building

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Soonmot posted:

What the gently caress damage control?!?! just goddamned drone striked an entire US building

Yeah that fits

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Maybe it's a relic of the Ghostbusters-y 1980s, but I definitely prefer Damage Control as a civilian agency that actually serves a conceivably valuable purpose in fixing super damage instead of a convenient proxy that helps Disney avoid pointing the finger at Homeland Security/the FBI/the CIA

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Well that’s the first time Marvel has ever made me cry like that. That’s what I get for watching first thing in the morning.

So, between Spider-Man, Luke Cage, and now Ms. Marvel, that’s the third time a corner bodega has been destroyed in the MCU. These poor businesses can’t catch a break.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Kamala's mom is the best character on the show. I love the patience the script has showing the humanity of these people. There could be a regular twenty-six week network series with this cast, the characters have been fleshed out so well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was some good rear end TV - this is a legit GOOD MCU property. I hope they don't gently caress it up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Maybe it's a relic of the Ghostbusters-y 1980s, but I definitely prefer Damage Control as a civilian agency that actually serves a conceivably valuable purpose in fixing super damage instead of a convenient proxy that helps Disney avoid pointing the finger at Homeland Security/the FBI/the CIA

Punisher is still there if that's what you want.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I get that they are telling a bigger story with the Pakistan stuff, and it’s interesting. But given that the season only has six episodes I have been spending the last two episodes just wanting them to get back to Jersey.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
still one of the best of the Marvel Studios Disney+ series, and I might even end up calling it the best to date if the finale manages not to poo poo the bed, but this episode really should have been another 10 minutes or so longer, and the Clandestines continue to be the weakest and most underdeveloped part of the show.

I have a bad feeling that Kamran will end up being the villain for the big climactic fight, even though the show has done next to nothing to set up a heel turn for him. Also, how exactly did he get energy powers when none of the other Clandestines seem to have them?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Barry Convex posted:

I have a bad feeling that Kamran will end up being the villain for the big climactic fight, even though the show has done next to nothing to set up a heel turn for him. Also, how exactly did he get energy powers when none of the other Clandestines seem to have them?

You can tell this will happen because he has the same powers as the protagonist lol

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Very light comics spoilers (and new ep spoilers): Kumran's comics powers resemble Kamala's in the show quite a lot. Plus he has glowing crystal skin. It always seemed inevitable that it would go this way in the show. Now to see if they manage to pull a successful heel turn or if Damage Control will be the main antagonist.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
My guess is that they don't go full villain with Kamran for the finale, and he teams up with Kamala to protect the community from DODC. Now, after the season...I'm just saying that if I were hypothetically making a movie/series about a collection of superheroes of questionable morals or allegiance, maybe I would keep the guy with no direction and interdimensional powers around...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Honestly, this episode was boring. Showing Aisha and that guy didn't really progress the story beyond what we knew already.

I hope the final episode will turn it around because the first episode was really good, but it was a slow decline since then.

Kamala herself is great, though.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kazil posted:

Episode wasn't bad, but weakest of the series.

You mean the bumbling idiots that couldn't keep the djinn locked up for more than a couple of days? Not impressed

One of the interesting points of BlacKKKlansman was that the KKK was a pack of racist idiots - who were still really dangerous. Damage Control might be bumbling idiots, but given that they just blew up the Circle-Q because Kamran tried to blast one of their drones, they can still be dangerous bumbling idiots.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, this episode was boring. Showing Aisha and that guy didn't really progress the story beyond what we knew already.

I hope the final episode will turn it around because the first episode was really good, but it was a slow decline since then.

Kamala herself is great, though.

I'm okay that Aisha and her dude weren't about "progressing the story" because they were about "progressing" her as a character. I think it was important to see Aisha as a real living, breathing person who loved and was loved. Beyond that, we as viewers kind of needed a viewpoint character "on the ground" for the Partition. The Partition was a defining moment for Kamala's family, so we needed some "up close" time with it. Especially since figure 95% of the viewing audience (and I'll include myself in that number) is unfamiliar with it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The main thrust of the show is about unpacking generational trauma, in that lens I think seeing Aisha and the Partition was essential

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Oh, Clandestines, you evaporated as antagonists as quickly as your heel turn and I thank you for it. More time for grandma hugs.

I think a lot of the previous Marvel movies would have been a lot shorter if there had been more grandma hugs.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 6, 2022

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Everyone posted:

I'm okay that Aisha and her dude weren't about "progressing the story" because they were about "progressing" her as a character. I think it was important to see Aisha as a real living, breathing person who loved and was loved. Beyond that, we as viewers kind of needed a viewpoint character "on the ground" for the Partition. The Partition was a defining moment for Kamala's family, so we needed some "up close" time with it. Especially since figure 95% of the viewing audience (and I'll include myself in that number) is unfamiliar with it.

It's pretty startling how much I've learned from this show. I went to high school in southern California in the early 2000s, and though I knew there was social/cultural/political tension between India and Pakistan, I somehow had no idea about the history of the Partition. It was a pretty major event in world history, and yet we didn't learn about it at all.

Even if you didn't fully appreciate the Aisha/Hasan story in itself, it still set up the interesting time paradox of Kamala being the one to help Sana get on the train. Time travel fuckery is always a tricky thing to get right, but as long as they leave it at just this one incident, I think it adds a fun bit of character to Kamala's story.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Dragonstoned posted:

What's the "gold stick with a big ball on top" called? Is it just a "fancy mace" or does it have specific name?

They're called gada.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

404notfound posted:

It's pretty startling how much I've learned from this show. I went to high school in southern California in the early 2000s, and though I knew there was social/cultural/political tension between India and Pakistan, I somehow had no idea about the history of the Partition. It was a pretty major event in world history, and yet we didn't learn about it at all.

Even if you didn't fully appreciate the Aisha/Hasan story in itself, it still set up the interesting time paradox of Kamala being the one to help Sana get on the train. Time travel fuckery is always a tricky thing to get right, but as long as they leave it at just this one incident, I think it adds a fun bit of character to Kamala's story.

It’s the Grandma Paradox, where you go back to save your grandma. It’s one of the few nice paradoxes.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hard disagree.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Barry Convex posted:

They didn't explain the exact mechanics, but when Najma got turned into a skellington she somehow activated Kamran's powers. A wisp of energy left her and inhabited him.

I get the people who wanted the show to stay in jersey, especially since there are so few episodes, but I do appreciate the detour to unpack Kamala's generational trauma this early in the character's run.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’s the Grandma Paradox, where you go back to save your grandma. It’s one of the few nice paradoxes.

Futurama already claimed the Grandma paradox.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm glad they wrapped up the Clandestines. The family aspect is the best part of the show. I'd rather see a 2 parter on Kamala sitting for her new brother in law than some cosmic save the planet poo poo.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Darth Brooks posted:

Kamala's mom is the best character on the show in the MCU.

Also Thor's out time for another thread derail.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Did they really spend 22 minutes of television, a full episode of most shows, to do what they could’ve done in 40 seconds?
“Wow, the person with my powers was actually me?!”

The acting was fine, but if you’re going to introduce a drama, don’t spend the previous four episodes explaining how the drama works itself out.

Any 30 seconds with the three generations of Khan women was worth five minutes of great-grandma stuff.

And it’s not that interesting to show generational trauma if in the present, two of the three characters are dead. And the last one has already explained what the moment meant and what happened.

It’s frustrating, because it’s clear that every other plotline has massive energy. Bruno and Kamran, Miss Marvel and her family, The mosque vs modernity vs damage control.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love that after seeing Kamala with superpowers, her mom's first reaction who asking who the boy she's with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

twistedmentat posted:

I love that after seeing Kamala with superpowers, her mom's first reaction who asking who the boy she's with.

He’s a nice boy who said hello and good bye and then made a very romantic gesture to Kamala while keeping a respectful arm’s distance away. The stabbity murders can be overlooked.